Long Range GFS Charts - Indian Ocean

donweather's picture
donweather started the topic in Thursday, 17 Mar 2011 at 10:29pm

Does anyone have a link for long range GFS charts in the Indian Ocean. I've got them for the North and South Pacific's but can't find the long range GFS charts for the Indian Ocean. By long range I'm talking about 180hrs-384hrs.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Tuesday, 22 Mar 2011 at 3:28am

So I take it then by the lack of response, no such information exists on the free public domain?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 22 Mar 2011 at 3:35am

Don, generally I find 180 hours more than enough, as the models hardly tend to agree out this far.

And if they do agree, any swell being generated in the Indian Ocean at the end of the run, will hit WA/SA and Vicco 2-4days later, and 5 days up towards Indo generally. So you already have a 300hr forecast just by using the already available charts.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Tuesday, 22 Mar 2011 at 5:59am

Thanks Craig, but I'm more keen to see if GFS is agreeing with the long range EC models for swell in early April.

sarge4's picture
sarge4's picture
sarge4 Friday, 13 May 2011 at 3:02am

Hey

I'm looking to better understand where in the Indian Ocean the strongest Indo swells come from. My understanding is l should be looking for blobs in the 50E to 70E - 40S range. Depending on the fetch angle obviously. But l have no real idea..........

Hoping to be able to pick a couple of solid Bali swells nice and early for hit run missions

Thank

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Friday, 13 May 2011 at 3:21am

Sarge, how long is a piece of string. So many variables for swell production in the Indian Ocean that you really can't lock in a specific latitude longitude window. Best to look at the charts (all weather models, EC, GFS etc), identify a damn impressive fetch along the great circle path from Bali and if all the planets (and models) align, then jump on the plane!!!! Obviously, the bigger and stronger the fetch and closer to Bali the better, although some impressive super long period SW groundswells can certainly be created well beneath South Africa.

For instance the storm that's progged to form to the SW of Heard Island early-mid next week (GFS charts) looks set to deliver a very nice period SW groundswell to Bali around Sunday 22nd May and beyond.

sarge4's picture
sarge4's picture
sarge4 Friday, 13 May 2011 at 4:21am

Thanks Donweather

I'll keep a close eye on this storm and see what l can learn

Cheers