TC Yasi

donweather's picture
donweather started the topic in Friday, 28 Jan 2011 at 2:36am

OK, it hasn't actually formed yet, but fair to say there's some damn real excitement over the proposed TC Yasi expected to form later this weekend/early next week out near Fiji and then move westwards next week towards Qld's coastline as alluded to by EC/GFS forecasts, hence thought it was appropriate to start a thread on this one.

Edit: Just re-looked at the latest model runs and they've downgraded the system significantly until just before the mainland late next week. :( :(

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 28 Jan 2011 at 3:31am

At this stage it looks like it moves to quick to the west and is too far north Don.

Wouldn't expect much at all.

We'll see how the next model updates go though.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Friday, 28 Jan 2011 at 3:53am

Yep, have to agree on that one Craig. Models have died, with respect to swell generating capabilities, compared to what they were showing yesterday.

Boohoo!!!!

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Sunday, 30 Jan 2011 at 6:08am

Yasi is born and I tell ya what she looks impressive on the sat images already. JTWC is calling for a Cat 4 as she crosses the coast later this week!!!

Thurs/Fri we should see waves from her. Shame winds look ordinary, particularly along the SC.

jazzy's picture
jazzy's picture
jazzy Sunday, 30 Jan 2011 at 7:34am

the four day forecast looks like it is slow moving and should devast toowomba brisi and the rst of qld with lake air filling up again too after all the rain. nah nah just hoping for rain but looks like more rain for qld if a coastal crossing occurs. heaps a crop damage and rising food prices. and how big a waves donao. looks to far north but this my first year of watching tcs. they need warm water to form and travel toward other low pressure or something usually around antarctica but this one is going to qld inland trough coz of blocking high. this high is moving east so whats going to happens next anyone knows tcs have an unpredictable nature. I got a 200-000 letter word on letters and numbers yesterday you would not know it though. its a scam made up by wiki leaks. sound interesting? try this the gov tax you. oh when i was grom there was a big swell and i saw it they should bring that back. and save the hype. kirra is back the rocks are showing in front of the groin. interesting developments there for sure hehe let the words be free and the lineups be crowded. nothing like a sunday surf with 200+ hot cicks watching. 0x

jazzy's picture
jazzy's picture
jazzy Sunday, 30 Jan 2011 at 7:41am

tcbobmarley2stoned2croscoast think hell sit outside and straighten up while producing the best music, huge perfect lines,

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Sunday, 30 Jan 2011 at 11:37pm

Well she's certainly progged to turn into a monster. Anyone know locations that handle a NE groundswell and E/NE winds in SE Qld!!! :(

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 31 Jan 2011 at 12:51am

Yep.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 31 Jan 2011 at 1:03am

I haven't see a TC progged to be quite so large (especially north of 20S), in ages. Looks like a mid-latitude system, not a TC!

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 31 Jan 2011 at 2:22am

Yep.

By: "freeride76"

Check ya PMs over on the "other" forum Steve.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 31 Jan 2011 at 2:25am

I haven't see a TC progged to be quite so large (especially north of 20S), in ages. Looks like a mid-latitude system, not a TC!

By: "thermalben"

I note that EC isn't progging as much intensification within our NE swell window compared to the GFS model. Both have the system hitting the mainland as a large monster, but EC appears to have more rapid intensification (from a less intense system offshore) as it approaches the mainland compared with GFS.

What's your thoughts on this?

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Monday, 31 Jan 2011 at 4:56am

Combination of sites are predicting TC Yasi to hit Aust at around 18.6S (between Ingham & Townsville) possibly getting as low as 942 hPa early Thursday morning, to be influenced by the ridging high speeding it up.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 31 Jan 2011 at 5:16am

There's very good model agreement and a wicked eyewall around Yasi now.

This is a very big system.

JTWC are noting intensification at climatological rates or greater.

Would like to see her slow down a tad though.

patty's picture
patty's picture
patty Monday, 31 Jan 2011 at 5:44am

when it comes to swell direction yasi is gonna be a rare bird. im thinking insides of the islands and im thinking sharks.

lots of sharks

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Monday, 31 Jan 2011 at 5:53am

HI HO, HI HO, it's southern GBR I go !!!

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 31 Jan 2011 at 9:45am

Combination of sites are predicting TC Yasi to hit Aust at around 18.6S (between Ingham & Townsville) possibly getting as low as 942 hPa

By: "fitzroy-21"

Hey Fitzy, you got any links to the sites that show this low 942 hPa pressure? 942 hPa would certainly be a Cat 4 with wind gusts up to 250 km/hr!!!

BOM actually have it bombing out to 926hPa just as it makes land fall. That's damn close to Cat 5!!!

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 31 Jan 2011 at 7:20pm

I wish it would slow down a tad.....still tracking in straight west. Looks to hit just north of Hinchinbrook Island on current track maps.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Monday, 31 Jan 2011 at 9:07pm

Hey Don, Bom presently have it down at 939 hPa in 36hrs. That is in the Tropical Disturbance section with some interesting forcasts. I also check the US Navy & Airforce sites as they have phenominal info (most that go way over my head) and over the years I have found to be pretty accurate, plus awesome close up sat photos of the system.
I'm with you freeride, it would be nice if it could stop for a day or so where it is, but regardless, I'm off on a little adventure.
Hope everyone scores something special !!

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 31 Jan 2011 at 9:16pm

I see she's riding higher than originally forecast too which isn't helping our swell potential much either.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Monday, 31 Jan 2011 at 9:55pm

Aaahhhh, the unpredictability of TC's.

batfink_and_karate's picture
batfink_and_karate's picture
batfink_and_karate Tuesday, 1 Feb 2011 at 12:21am

Probably the biggest issue out of this is the rain it will carry into central qld then onto all parts of central Australia.

I'm pretty sure that Lake Eyre (Air??) has been watered for 6 months or more now and this will see it as full as it has been for a very long time. Menindee Lakes were nearly full months ago and the latest qld rains wouldn't have got close to there yet. Murray Darling system will get the biggest clean out it has had in probably my life time.

Not so sure that Toowoomba and Brissie will get so much out of Yasi thankfully. And most of that central qld area is hardly the food bowl of oz. If it's gonna come in, and nothing is going to stop it, the current trajectory looks as good a place for it to cross as any.

An amazing meteorological year by any reckoning, going back to big falls in central qld last April/May.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 1 Feb 2011 at 2:36am

This baby doesn't have long in the swell window.

With respect to the SEQLD great circle path it's tracking through it at a great rate of knots.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 1 Feb 2011 at 3:09am

JTWC have it reaching Category 5 just before crossing the Queensland coast just south of Cairns.

Wednesday nights predictions are for sustained winds of 125kts around the core with guts up to 150kts

:o

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Tuesday, 1 Feb 2011 at 3:57am

Piece of crap ascat passes keep misses the bulk of our fetch also, so she's gonna be a tough one to forecast as it looks as though we're relying more on model assumptions rather than calibrated fetch readings.

Also Steve, surely radial spreading (as opposed to pure great circle fetches) plays a part in such a massive system also?

liquid-destination's picture
liquid-destination's picture
liquid-destination Tuesday, 1 Feb 2011 at 4:34am

Yasi, please deliver it's been too long between drinks. I've done the mission to the spot you need to be since i was a kid and last decent one (big swell) i remember was around 1992. It always draws heaps of hype and is the most fickle spot known to mankind but the adventure is what draws everyone back. You can't beat the drive to it and i love the having the same conversation all the way there "oh is it on? is it not, i dunno?" It's a classic. See you there fellas.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 1 Feb 2011 at 4:34am

Sure there gunna be radial spreading but when the bulk of the fetch is moving so fast at such an angle to the great circle path I'm counseling caution on the surf size.

By my reckoning it is now (by 6pm) just slipping out of the swell window.

Thats a fast transit.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Tuesday, 1 Feb 2011 at 9:12am

Based on the modelled forecast fetch, I'd say SE Qld (more particularly the SC) has still got a small compact fetch of 60 knts winds on the E/SE quadrant of Yasi within the swell window as we speak and up until later tonight.

After that she's all over red rover.

So based on that I'm still inclined to think the SC will see 6ft+ sets on Thursday at NE facing beaches.

barstardos1's picture
barstardos1's picture
barstardos1 Tuesday, 1 Feb 2011 at 10:23am

I am in Alice Springs right now so surf forecast not high on my priority.

But I am getting prepared for flooding by the weekend!!

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Tuesday, 1 Feb 2011 at 10:59am

Yeah B, Yasi looks set to dump it big time on the interior come the weekend.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 1 Feb 2011 at 11:35am

Then down to SA during early next week.

tripper's picture
tripper's picture
tripper Tuesday, 1 Feb 2011 at 3:36pm

Yasi, please deliver it's been too long between drinks. I've done the mission to the spot you need to be since i was a kid and last decent one (big swell) i remember was around 1992. It always draws heaps of hype and is the most fickle spot known to mankind but the adventure is what draws everyone back. You can't beat the drive to it and i love the having the same conversation all the way there "oh is it on? is it not, i dunno?" It's a classic. See you there fellas.

By: "liquid-destination"

Come on.... Any hints where?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 1 Feb 2011 at 6:27pm

Sounds like Noosa to me!

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Tuesday, 1 Feb 2011 at 9:01pm

Hey Tripper, do some research, grab a map, do what thousands of others have, take a punt and go look. You might actually find some uncrowded gems.
Ben could be warm.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 1 Feb 2011 at 9:17pm

If it's not Noosa, it's gotta be Carties.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 1 Feb 2011 at 9:38pm

I think he means further north.

And even further north than that would be well worth a squizz.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Tuesday, 1 Feb 2011 at 9:39pm

Noosa isn't what I'd call fickle nor an adventurous drive. A spot within sight of noosa though.............

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 1 Feb 2011 at 9:40pm

As far as this storm goes I think it's fair to say we are in uncharted territory and this will be a terrific learning experience.

The last cyclone to take a similar track (Larry) didn't produce any swell but this storm is of a far greater magnitude.

The influence of the GBR and the orientation of the QLD coastline will be extremely important factors.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 1 Feb 2011 at 9:43pm

Getting any actual (as opposed to model generated) satellite derived wind speeds has been extremely frustrating.....bring back QUIKSCAT.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 1 Feb 2011 at 9:44pm

OK, north of Carties.. you must mean Alex! A fine wave for adventurous surf seekers.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 1 Feb 2011 at 9:47pm

But back on track.. I'll be super interested to see how this swell propagates south of Byron. I suspect it'll be somewhat akin to a directional south swell (but obviously, in reverse) that doesn't influence 90% of NSW beaches.. but those 10% that do pull in the swell, display some incredible - and possibly sizeable - waves.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 1 Feb 2011 at 10:49pm

Yeah, this could be a once in a generation event.

I'm thinking outside Tallows for some macking lefts.

patty's picture
patty's picture
patty Tuesday, 1 Feb 2011 at 11:54pm

the price of avos trebled after larry smashed up Innisfail

dont touch the poor mans butter Yasi!

asharper001's picture
asharper001's picture
asharper001 Wednesday, 2 Feb 2011 at 12:19am

Willis Island weather station (some 450km east of Cairns) readings this morning show wind gusts of 185km/h with hpa955 at 8.10am then calm at 8.37am with hpa941.5 and dropping. Not sure if the station has been taken out or the eye is over top.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ60801/IDQ60801.94299.shtml

Would like to post as a clickable link but not sure how (sorry).

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Wednesday, 2 Feb 2011 at 12:48am

Willis Is radar was taken out 30kms before the eye crossed. Info I've been given is the whole weather station has been taken out by Yasi, it is unknown whether storm surge/swell has anything to do with it or if Yasi's wind obliterated it. Either way it's a bloody massive system. The eye crossed clean over the top, central recorded pressure was 939hPa.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Wednesday, 2 Feb 2011 at 1:15am

1100 qld time 922hPa.

asharper001's picture
asharper001's picture
asharper001 Wednesday, 2 Feb 2011 at 3:05am

Thanks for the update fitzroy-21. I thought it might have been taken out. No updates since 10.00am. I found this link of the weather radar up until 8.00am before it got taken out showing the size of the eye of the cyclone. Impressive and scary at the same time.

http://www.theweatherchaser.com/radar-loop/IDR412-willis-island/2011-02-...

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 2 Feb 2011 at 3:22am

Amazing Asharper!

The eye on that radar is incredible!!

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 2 Feb 2011 at 3:58am

Long period fore-runners on the Straddie Buoy.

Anyone got a surf report from the Northern Sunny Coast or Islands?

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Wednesday, 2 Feb 2011 at 4:28am

I'm out on the southern GBR, swell is slowly picking up, not real organised, and still a bit wind affected. Waiting.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 2 Feb 2011 at 4:41am

At sea?

Or land based?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 2 Feb 2011 at 4:46am

Make sure to take photos Fitzy!