Merimbula bar

pigdog's picture
pigdog started the topic in Thursday, 16 Dec 2010 at 5:26am

lets just turn back the clock for 1 second new years maby "94" i was 16 with all me mates from vicco at the black dolphin! happy hour was on smashing $1 spirits fuck they were good times, i was paying $9 a corona last week at rive stkilda what a joke!
anyway i was wondering if this south swell was going to hit the bar on tuesday, if i remember right it needs some north wind for offshore wind? i know its a fickle joint and maby the wind might be from the west on tuesdy there? ive been wanting to surf this place with a 8ft+ swell since i was 16! i always see pictures of the gong solid as on swellnet when a south swell hits i dont have a clue about what wind i need for what beaches up there. would you be able to give us a suggestion on were i should head to craig to get the brunt of the swell with good winds... i finished work today and go back on the 10th of jan so ready for a road trip so keen to hook i nto some bombs but do not have a clue about the east coast...

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 16 Dec 2010 at 6:37am

Dunno about Craig but I reckon Merimbula will get the swell AND the wind. If I were you Pigdog I'd just keep late Monday till midday Wednesday open. Keep getting updates on the wind and stay mobile.

Jaffa, you're down that way aren't you? At the risk of sending hordes of crew to your local, what do you reckon?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 17 Dec 2010 at 12:42am

Without knowing the Bar personally, just looking at the charts, I would say that Tuesday isn't looking to be that big there due to the swell due being created right off Merimbula's door step.

A weaker fetch of winds off Tasie's East Coast during Monday afternoon and evening will create a small pulse of south swell for Tuesday afternoon, but it doesn't look to be worth a drive all the way from Vicco.

I reckon Wednesday and Thursday morning look better with a secondary pulse of south swell arriving, generated further away from the region, allowing it more time to grow in period and refract in to Merimbula.

If I had to choose where to surf with this swell I would search around the Ulladulla region (north/south) or head to the Central Coast.

pigdog's picture
pigdog's picture
pigdog Friday, 17 Dec 2010 at 4:13am

cheers for that craig you have cleared that up for us! legend! i looked at the bom marine forcast last night afer there 6:30pm update and that purple patch of wind had been downgraded so i was a bit suspect on it myself. thanks again!