New board- FCS or switch to Futures

Patrick's picture
Patrick started the topic in Monday, 2 Jan 2017 at 4:44pm

G'day.
I've got my eye on a new board but it has Future fins, while the current boards I have use FCS. It would be good to have all same fin boxes so I can mix and match easily, but it's a good board at a good discounted price and I've read promising reviews of Futures. I'm hesitant to spend the money stocking two fin brands though... what type of fins do you use and why?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 3 Jan 2017 at 12:50pm

Whilst I'm curious to try Futures, I don't know if having both varieties in my quiver is worthwhile as I don't change 'em that often (and don't want to have to carry two lots of spares when I travel). So I'm happy to stick with FCS for now (old version too, I don't see the benefits of FCSII).

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Tuesday, 3 Jan 2017 at 4:49pm

Having tried both I definitely prefer futures and only use them now except for one last special 6'10" which has FCS. I'd recommend transitioning over to futures long term...but really when did we start purchasing boards according to the fins?!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 3 Jan 2017 at 1:24pm

Patrick me boy
Wasabi fin adaptor $79 US
lets you use your FCS in futures boxes

nicko74's picture
nicko74's picture
nicko74 Tuesday, 3 Jan 2017 at 11:24pm

Hey Pat, i recently had exactly the same dilemma. So i'm changing from futures to FCS . I was reluctant at first as i've had loads of blowouts with the old FCS plugs but the new FCS look solid. A couple of my mates have FCS II and they reckon no worries. Go for it mate... the bloke with the most fins wins . :)

cgrover's picture
cgrover's picture
cgrover Wednesday, 4 Jan 2017 at 10:45am

I've had both FCS and Futures and now mostly FCS2. The is little if any difference IMO but the Futures do feel more solid. But I really like the FCS2 fins I'm running at the moment, Performer and Reactor but the prices are high and the range is average. I would be going for futures if my quiver wasn't FCS/FCS2 simply because you can buy some excellent single tab copies or go with the genuine

nicko74's picture
nicko74's picture
nicko74 Wednesday, 4 Jan 2017 at 11:35am

You can actually buy tab infills for FCS2 so they accept the old FCS fin, I haven't used them yet as most of my old FCS set are either not complete, the old stock black plastic G5's or they are just totally munted . Definitely an advantage if you have some old favourites? The other advantage to the FCS 2 no grub screws and you'll never have to worry about a stripped out fin key. I had a board shaped for bigger days recently and because of the nature of the deep single concave through the tail old mate shaper said it was trickier setting the future fin boxes than the rounder stubbier FCS fin box?Also there was more area to lay glass over on the FCS2 fin box than the narrower future box. I got the futures for that board any way because I had the choice. Possibly a few more points to consider before purchasing?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 4 Jan 2017 at 11:57am

nicko........FCS2 - i think youre may lose a fin or two
still recommended you secure them with a grub screw...cos they do fall out.

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Wednesday, 4 Jan 2017 at 4:55pm

Patrick - what may seem as a 'good buy' now, will quickly erode in value once you budget in a few new sets of fins :( ... Stick with FCS if you already have a collection of fins.

Nicko74 - as Udo notes, it's worth using grub screws in the FCS II set up to avoid the cost of replacing a fin or two.

And, yes, the old dual tab FCS fins, or any dual tab fin like Shapers Fins will fit the newer FCS II boxes (with out without the little plastic inserts) ... just use grub screws to hold them in ;)

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Saturday, 7 Jan 2017 at 7:48am

Thanks all!
It's a small sample but the majority on this thread prefer fcs. It looks like fcs have a larger range of fins, which is a bonus.

On this older thread, Futures are the chosen ones: https://www.swellnet.com/forums/wax/12716

I haven't had any problems with fcs 2 fins coming out in the surf...is that only an issue for powerful surfers?

Udo, thanks for the tip about the adaptor. For a quad set it's near $150AU delivered. Pricey, but might be worth it...

Crg - why do you prefer futures?

Nicko - why are you going for fcs?

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Saturday, 7 Jan 2017 at 9:12am

FCSII fins do come out , while surfing , or a slight knock on the rocks , so you have to use the grub screw which defeats the whole purpose of having a screwless system . The FCS also are no where near as strong as Futures as Futures are connected to the surfboard a lot stronger than FCS. Futures are easier to use , and their fin collection has less hype and more technical qualities to their fins , try the EA 4.5 Vector II fin , best fin in the world!

Doublems111X's picture
Doublems111X's picture
Doublems111X Saturday, 7 Jan 2017 at 10:09am

I had the same issue with a Lost v3 Rocket came on ebay for half the price at my exact dimensions. The board had futures but at the price it was worth my while. I bought it and got some "all rounder" fins on Gumtree(CI Jordys). This is 2 years ago and I haven't taken out the fins yet. Truth is how often do you change fins on a board? If you're travelling and a fin breaks out you will either have another board or will most probably have a mate. This was may be a start of a change over or not. Loyal to FCS but futures seems superior. My point is movin foward I can purchase any board as I have fins for either thanks to spending $70 on Gumtree and getting a half price board.

nicko74's picture
nicko74's picture
nicko74 Saturday, 7 Jan 2017 at 11:08am

Spot on Double, the new board I bought with FCS2 is only a shorty for waves 2 to 5 feet so I'm never going to change the fins.
Udo thanks for the tip I just bunged in some grub screws.

nicko74's picture
nicko74's picture
nicko74 Saturday, 7 Jan 2017 at 11:16am

Sorry for the late reply Pat. I'm going FCS2 purely cause I was over east and they had a board with the exact dims that I like and the shooter was a beauty! Only probs were it had FCS2 . I was a rusted on futures fan. If I'd wanted the same board 6'4" CI flyer 2 with futures I would've had to of got it shaped.....5 week turn around plus freight.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 7 Jan 2017 at 11:35am

Anyone tried the quad futures fins on gumtree Moolap - Geelong area Vic ?
$70 for a set of Quads , Thruster set $55 or less - Aust wide postage $10

Ebay store : Numfish surfboards

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Monday, 9 Jan 2017 at 11:21am

Thanks everyone. I bought the board and I've now got fins for two systems...looking ahead at other boards I buy, well, I'll already have fins for either system. Cheers.