South Swells for Central Victoria

Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone started the topic in Friday, 16 Jan 2015 at 3:54pm

Howdy all. I hail from the mornington peninsula (smack bang in the middle of vic) and was just wondering if there is a time of year that we are more susceptible to due south ground swells. We seem to be constantly getting bombarded by W/SW - SW swells. Is that tassie blocks us from recieving any south swell as the low passes below us? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Nick.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 17 Jan 2015 at 7:42am

There's no discernible correlation between swell direction and time of year (although, rare south-east windswells are more common in these months).

However, Vicco never really receives straight southerly energy - just swells with more south in 'em than usual (SW direction is most common, so the window veers to the W/SW and S/SW depending on the storm track).

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 17 Jan 2015 at 8:25am

I take it your only talking about the east of Melbourne, the Victoria I live in gets quite a bit of south swell.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 17 Jan 2015 at 8:52am

Well, seeing that the thread title was "Central Victoria", and Nick lives on the "Mornington Peninsula", my answer was skewed towards his location.

However, even west of Cape Otway (which is technically more open to south swells), the dynamics of the Southern Ocean rarely lends itself to develop a straight southerly fetch aimed at this region. Sure, there may be a stong south component in a swell but it'll rarely be a true southerly swell.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Saturday, 17 Jan 2015 at 3:21pm

@ben, seeing you are onboard today I'll ask a question about Vicco. Is it me or are Victorian summers getting worse in the terms of desired swell and wind directions? Have any historical data in the bottom drawer? It seems that for the last few summers about mid October it goes to jelly and mostly stays that way to late Jan or early Feb.

I await your most considered reply and the 100s of Victorians who are going to say its the best summer ever!!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 17 Jan 2015 at 3:34pm

There's no historical data to confirm or deny such a claim, but I'm looking into a project where we may be able to shed a little more light into this kind of thing. Sorry I can be of any more help!

Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone Sunday, 18 Jan 2015 at 1:34pm

Thankyou for responses. Generally whenever i check the Portsea wave buoy it reads around the 200 degree mark and will fluctuate +/- 10 degrees. On that note i recall a article regarding the the portsea wave buoy and its close proximity to the rip in Port Phillip Heads, that on the full outgoing will give false reading of swell size and direction?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Sunday, 18 Jan 2015 at 2:16pm
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Sunday, 18 Jan 2015 at 2:20pm

Hey nick bone, trawl through these comments, fair few basic rules of thumb about the bass straight sprinkled throughout

http://www.swellnet.com/news/swellnet-dispatch/2012/03/29/early-bells-fo...

Btw Nick BONE, I hitched a ride with a guy who had a BONE thugs n harmony album in the centre console, wasn't you was it? Cheers anyway haha :p

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 18 Jan 2015 at 2:22pm

WTF are you doing down in Vicco, Mitch???

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Sunday, 18 Jan 2015 at 2:26pm

Hahaha got family down here aye. Tell ya what though I'm not getting many point waves on my beachie setup, don't think bigger fins will even help me. I WANNA GO BACK TO PHILIP ISLAND!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 18 Jan 2015 at 2:45pm

You on the west side - surf coast? Port Fairy?

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Monday, 19 Jan 2015 at 12:29am

Fark me nek minnit Coles insurance'll be calling to tell me about their personal items insurance I've shared so much online. Peace :p

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 19 Jan 2015 at 4:43pm

Mitch.. Been watching you on google earth.. FFS paddle harder... Don't expect the wave to catch you.... Nice place where you're staying.. ;)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 19 Jan 2015 at 4:51pm

If you're chasing more details Sheepy then send us a private message....I've been going through his garbage.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 19 Jan 2015 at 4:58pm

I don't envy you, blowin, rummaging through empty lentil packets, out of date tofu, "essential oils" and used body wax strips......

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 19 Jan 2015 at 5:02pm

One mans trash is another mans treasure Sheepy.

I've made a couple of grand producing high grade merkins from those used body strips.

I've been meaning to tell you Mitch . Honestly.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 19 Jan 2015 at 5:09pm

Well you should scrape the wax off his board.... Be at least 4 merkins worth there... He uses strawberry wax, so they should already be scented.....

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 19 Jan 2015 at 5:14pm

Just jokes Mitch. Would hate to cause any ill feelings to any of the Swellnet crew.

Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 at 11:53am

Excellent article Craig. Cheers for the link. Love reading all about this stuff. Trying to increase the old brain space on the matter.
Just one more thing if i may. Is it possible to have a low sit between wilsons prom and those islands below to produce a medium SE groundswell? A day comes to mind about this time last year which i guess is very weather event which created a 166.63 degree swell around the 10-12 sec mark accompanied by very light west winds..? (I did sceenshot these reading but im hopeless at holding on to one phone for a while.)

P.s Thanks for link Mitch. No BTnH stickers in my car but they do get a bit of airplay in vehicle.

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 at 12:01pm

I think it may have been a little later in the year but I do recall a number of days with SE swell and S winds over at the surfcoast. I think there was even a SN wave of the day of Lorne point doing a decent impersonation of Noosa.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 at 12:06pm

You mean this one?

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 at 1:55pm

Thats the one. Geez, time gets away, that's a good few months earlier than I remembered. About as fun as Lorne point gets.

Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone Thursday, 22 Jan 2015 at 10:31pm

Golly. Thats the same day. If theres anyway of a possible 'retro-forecast' or any data for that day. Muchly appreciated!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 23 Jan 2015 at 9:44am

Simply a solid short range SE swell with a light W'ly breeze. Doesn't happen often.