Jordan Heuer of Kandui Villas in jail

crip's picture
crip started the topic in Monday, 25 Sep 2017 at 1:48pm

I just read that the founder of Kandui Villas, Jordan Heuer, has been locked up in a Padang jail awaiting trial for an incident at Rifles 2 years ago. Hints of some dodgy happenings, extortion, corruption, etc behind it. Usual Indo stuff, I guess.
An article in The Inertia:
http://www.theinertia.com/surf/kandui-villas-founder-jailed-in-indonesia...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 25 Sep 2017 at 5:39pm

I saw this. There has got to be more to this than we are getting told though.

Why after 2 years stir shit up again?

Even the drop in incident seems and overreaction for a drop in, I'm guessing there is more history to this than we are being told.

Even seems a little weird he would go to the cops to report the incident in the first place, all that would do is make things worse.

Id love to hear the other guys story.

I can imagine he would have upset a few people in the past as he was one of the founders of Kandui resort, then left that and started Kandui Villas, so pretty much bought up and monopolised the whole of that island.

And being a guy that has built and owned charter boats, built and started two up market resorts, why does he need money raised for him?

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Monday, 25 Sep 2017 at 6:12pm

Was thinking the same ID whatever the problem is its not about the drop in , a guy I see in the Ments knows the other side of the story if I get a chance I will ask.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 25 Sep 2017 at 6:54pm

Yeah just doesn't add up you have to remember this is obviously very entrepreneurial guy that knows how to make things happen in Indonesia and has been in this region for a long time, (believe over 20 years) and you would imagine would have money and some very good and possibly powerful contacts and know how things work.

Doesn't make sense that he has just dropped in or stepped on some other guys toes, and this other guy just wants to screw him over for a drop in.

Or just screw him over because he is competition, there is so much competition for guest in this area, and i read he only works for the resort doesn't even own it anymore. (which in itself seems weird) but even if he ends up in Jail the resort will continue.

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Tuesday, 26 Sep 2017 at 8:38am

Ambitious crowd funding , $1,000,000 goal.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 26 Sep 2017 at 9:26am

Wow. $1 million will require a heck of a lot of public support. Currently at $15K from 51 donors after five days.

https://www.youcaring.com/jordanheuer-957286

TreborHI's picture
TreborHI's picture
TreborHI Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 9:40am

Western media hasn't made much of an effort. The French guy's name and his side of the story are presented by a Padang news source.
http://harianhaluan.com/news/detail/50491/hakim-perintahkan-perkara-dila...
The other guy is French surfer Alexandre "Sacha" Leon
Used google translate but...not very clear. My hunch is that this is part of a bigger conflict between the various land camps and boat tours over who has rights to the wave.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 26 Sep 2017 at 6:53pm

And?

Come one TreborHi you have to give us the rough story they ran.

I just did a google search but couldn't find anything online from a Padang news source.

Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799 Tuesday, 26 Sep 2017 at 9:49pm

Even $15k from 51 donors is still pretty impressive

crip's picture
crip's picture
crip Tuesday, 26 Sep 2017 at 11:45pm

Hmm, maybe a lot more to this than I first thought. Kandui in financial strife and this is a (dodgy) way of raising money?
I'd love to hear the real, full story.

prawnhead's picture
prawnhead's picture
prawnhead Wednesday, 27 Sep 2017 at 9:09am

the other side of the story ....so to speak... from the source,..is that allegedly Mr Heuer..initiated the attack and assaulted the other surfer with numerous punches and speared his surfboard at him ....due mainly in no small part to the aggressive nature and Heuer 's protection of his wrongly assumed right to control the surf and any land in that area....Heuer has been a bully in that area for a long while and has picked one of the few guys in that area to hassle who has the wherewithal, resources , indo experience and contacts to do more than a little something about it....i don't see a get out of jail free card coming along anytime soon ...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 27 Sep 2017 at 11:11am

I wouldn't be surprised if this was true.

After all he was the founder of Kandui resort, then went on to build Kandui Villas, you can't own an island in Indonesia but between them they have pretty much monopolised that island at the time they started the resorts they were under the impression they woulds have exclusive rights within a 1km range, if this had happened between the two resorts they would have had the rights too, Rifles, 4bobs, playgrounds, A frames,Malibu right, Kandui left, baby Kandui. (two of the best waves in the world, and a lot of very fun waves for all levels of surfers)

I also heard he surfs with a diving knife attached to his leg apparently incase his leash gets wrapped around a coral head, but still it would be intimidating seeing a guy with a knife strapped to his leg.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 27 Sep 2017 at 11:24am

"I also heard he surfs with a diving knife attached to his leg apparently incase his leash gets wrapped around a coral head".

Wouldn't it require a similar level of underwater exertion (if not less) to remove a leggie in the conventional manner, rather than having to unbuckle the knife, grab the legrope in a safe manner (make a loop away from your foot) and then cut the bloody thing?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 27 Sep 2017 at 11:26am

The part about the dive knife surely can't be true.

A dive knife but no helmet ? Which do you think you're more likely to need ?

I'd post the vid of Kenny Powers surfing with his dive knife strapped to his leg , but I've already done that a few times.

Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799 Wednesday, 27 Sep 2017 at 11:30am

That's what I was thinking too Ben/Blowin. You'd have to reach past the strap to get to the rope too after getting the knife out depending on how much water is moving.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 27 Sep 2017 at 11:36am

@thermalben i agree, i actually thought this myself.

I actually got my legrope caught on a coral head on the very end section of Macaronis once, wasn't very deep but it was still scary, i tried to pull it from the coral head but it wouldn't budge, and every time i kept trying to stand up i keep getting knocked and washed off my feet by current/wash and waves, i then undid it and got the tender to whip me back out all the while my board was just bobbing away, on the swim through i managed to pull it free but my legrope was kinda stretched.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 27 Sep 2017 at 11:40am

Here's a tip I heard if your leggie ever gets caught and the waves are preventing you from reaching it to undo it : Pull your knees towards your chest to reach it rather than trying to do a sit up style removal.

Way easier.

Could save your life.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 27 Sep 2017 at 11:51am

I had it happen to me at G'Land in the late-90s and couldn't reach the surface. The current was so strong I couldn't get my arms down to the ankle strap and I didn't have the presence of mind to follow Blowins tip. Fortunately the leggie broke.

A knife would've been useless.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 27 Sep 2017 at 11:55am

The inside of the Margs mainbreak left is notorious for it .

A couple have died there.

Coco ho almost joined them.

Jamyardy's picture
Jamyardy's picture
Jamyardy Wednesday, 27 Sep 2017 at 12:23pm

The surgeons table !

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 27 Sep 2017 at 6:20pm

Overcast and Barreling : Vimeo
Jordan pulling in .

Chop's picture
Chop's picture
Chop Saturday, 7 Oct 2017 at 10:48am

Kandui Resort and Kandui Villas is owned by seperate investors and they do not have anything to do with each other. Jordan does not own Kandui Villas but simply runs it with his family. That is why the crowd funding was started to help with his court costs. The incident happened after the French guy couldn't work out who's turn it was for the second day in a row. The frenchie showed aggression and jordan put him back in his spot. The waves are too dangerous out there to not take turns and wait your go. If you can't work it out then you need to be spoken to. I think Jordan as a pioneer of that area and with over 20 years experience was well in his right to say something and then defend himself. (Indo dreaming) I have a feeling you would be one of those blokes that would need a talking to!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 31 Oct 2017 at 5:35pm

Only 18K raised....

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 7 Oct 2017 at 12:25pm

@Chop

Sorry but you are assuming wrong, my surfing etiquette is very good.

I won't take offence though i can understand why people naturally want to defend him, and you shouldn't take my post as negative I'm not saying he is guilty or not, i just think there must be more to this story than is written I've only heard one side of the story ands everyone defending him but i would love to hear the french guys story and i believe his Indonesian partner, I'm sure in time i will hear it ion the grape vine.

Personally i think its sad that he is just the manager after first having a charter boat, then starting Kandui resort then the Villas, that a lot of impact without much dollar reward, but I'm sure he has had thousands of barrels more than us and its not all about money.

It's kind of a seperate issue but i think the early Mentawai resort model of starting a big resort which takes many guest and funding it by getting foreigner investors is a terrible model, one of my friends Mark started Macaronis resort under the same model, would have been much better for everyone to have 8 guest with no investors.

I think the smart guys started smaller places with less guest with no to little investors...for example Pitstop hill...but yeah thats probably a seperate thread and it seems its the way most foreigner owned surf accommodation around Indonesia has gone which is a god thing, rather than the big resort Maldives type model.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 3 Nov 2017 at 8:14pm

Only 18k raised
Lowered the Goal to 500k...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 3 Nov 2017 at 8:24pm

Gaol?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 27 Dec 2017 at 4:54pm

Jordan still inside ?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 28 Dec 2017 at 8:48am

No idea...looks like they didn't raise much money.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Friday, 29 Dec 2017 at 9:19am

He played it by the rules got a month and 20 days

http://hariansinggalang.co.id/warga-as-divonis-1-bulan-20-hari-di-pn-pad...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 30 Dec 2017 at 9:27am

Cheers for the update.