South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales Surf Forecast (issued Friday 14th February)

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Friday, 14 Feb 2014 at 2:17pm

South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales Surf Forecast by Ben Matson (issued Friday 14th February)

Best Days: No great days.

Recap: Hardly any surf over the last few days, with most beaches seeing weak lines of a foot or less.

This weekend (Feb 15-16)

Don’t even bother with the surf this weekend. We’re not expecting any new swell of note anywhere in SE Qld or Northern NSW, and N’ly winds will become fresh to strong at times both Saturday and Sunday. These winds will whip up a peaky local swell but beaches facing NE will see the most size and they’ll generally be quite wind affected. Really not worth your time, money or effort.

Next week (Feb 17-21 onwards)

A trough will push off the southern NSW coast on Saturday, forming two lows in the Tasman Sea - a primary low east of Tasmania, and a small embedded low offshore from about Seal Rocks on Sunday night. This will drive a gusty southerly change across the Mid North and Northern NSW coast early Monday morning, reaching the Qld/NSW border on Monday afternoon.

This change will generate a southerly windswell for exposed beaches but no great size is expected from it, especially in SE Qld (due to its direction) - and winds will be gusty from the S/SE at the same time, so conditions will be poor (there won’t be enough size for anything worthwhile on the protected points). 

The primary low responsible for this change is expected to track rapidly south-east after forming in the southern Tasman Sea, dragging the northern low away from the coast at the same time. This will reduce the size and longevity of any swell generated on Monday. As such, Tuesday will see easing low quality short range S/SE swells across open beaches with light winds tending NE as a new high builds in the Tasman Sea.  

On Wednesday, we may start to see the arrival of a small trade swell, generated by a deepening trough of low pressure well south of Fiji over the weekend. No great strength is expected within this fetch so at this stage we can expect generally small surf from this source (inconsistent ~2ft+)

Also on Wednesday - it looks like we’ll see a repeat of our weekend’s weather pattern, with an approaching trough from the west spinning up a low off the South Coast during the day. This should give rise to a small peaky NE windswell Wednesday ahead of a building S’ly swell sometime later Thursday or maybe Friday.

In fact, the latest model guidance suggests the system developing in the Tasman Sea mid-next week will be significantly stronger than what we’re expecting this weekend, and could occupy the region for a day or two. Such a scenario would give rise to a large south swell across the entire NSW Coast (peaking around Friday/Saturday in Northern NSW) however as is always the case with a swell with any southerly component in it, expect much smaller waves north of Point Danger. Let’s just pencil in the prospects of an active Tasman Sea later next week with a view of something worthwhile next weekend, and review the specifics on Monday.

Long range (Feb 22 onwards)

At the moment, next weekend will probably be near to the peak of the aforementioned south swell, or more likely on there backside of this event. Beyond that there’s nothing of any interest standing out in the long range charts.

boogiefever's picture
boogiefever's picture
boogiefever Sunday, 4 May 2014 at 5:55pm

ha ha ha ha...i see they got google in tassie.... who in coolum doesnt know mick n nola.... theyre in the paper every other week!!!! i was surfing in the water with julien, i never wrote that i was holding hands with him u bell end!!!! u waffled thru a couple a hundred words and still wrote nuthin!!!! private messages.... yeh, i sent one old baldy, prince harry and richard branson just yesterday! ur see thru, u r my bitch.... now go and cook me dinner!!!! by the way, i have to agree that ben, craig and especially don.... who ive been following his posts since his burleighcam days DO know their forecasting, u are not in the same boat, ur not even in the same ocean! u crash and bumble ur way thru like michael fox in a china store!!! go away little yap yap....

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 4 May 2014 at 6:37pm

heheh. You readin this, Mick? heheh.... Ohh, you weren't holding hands with Julian,now!!!! Then why drop his name you retard..... More embarrassing for you by the minute..... Ohh mate.... I'm starting to feel sorry for ya..... Didn't even know yaroomba has 3 bommies..... Oh dear......
"Oh I was surfn with Julian....... Oh... umm... well.... I wasn't really surfn with julian.... I mean..... I wasn't holding his hand.... umm.... Wish I was holding his hand though....." That sounds like something "a bitch" would say hahahaha... Did you get him a chicko roll when he got out of the surf?
I had ya scrollin through archives at the start..., looking for "11 surf spots", "barrier reefs", quotes from months ago.... But when confronted with the truth, you spit and throw a tantrum like a girl..... A little girl.... Boo hooo hooo sooky la la... Not even a 1/2 decent troll...... A loser on so many levels, in public for everyone to see..... Notice ya didn't bring up don patting me on the back re' 15 second period, or welly sayin' good call, or countless others...... Think you can get under my skin..... That's the biggest joke of all..... Seen bitter little nothings like you before, mate.... water off a ducks back....
Now fuck off and play in the stop rock shorey like the hack you are...... Better still, continue to embarrass yourself..... I'm off to talk with the grown ups now....... Byeeeee....

boogiefever's picture
boogiefever's picture
boogiefever Sunday, 4 May 2014 at 7:34pm

ha ha ha ha! nothing again!!!! ur the embarrassment buddy. u keep biting when its over.... ur done. the truth? the truth is of all ur 16 spots, u didnt even name ybah, u even posted a pick of it!!! a wct surfer was all over it but u know better hey? ur out of touch and a fair bit demented. dont feel sorry for me shitdog, im getting more barrels than u.... the only barrel u score is the one u create with ur hand when u grab ur septic dick to wack off to the best and less catalogue!!!! mate, i bet ur poo man style was so shitful that u had to leave the state!!! yap yap yap. sincerly waldorf.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 4 May 2014 at 7:54pm

You know this was a pretty enjoyable thread until about 2/3'rds of the way down the first page.

I might go out on a limb here and kindly ask for the first time ever for Swellnet to please delete the rubbish that is preceding my post and I don't think I'm alone in my thoughts.

Thanking you in advance.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 4 May 2014 at 7:57pm

Agreed Zen... just logged in, it's pretty poor form. This thread is locked.