short fat and wide tale fun boards for small waves

josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2 started the topic in Monday, 11 Oct 2010 at 7:08am

at first i thought whats the deal with all these short and fat fun boards with fat tales and flat rockers e.g. channel islands dumpster diver, js black box.so i did my research and i found that the dumpster diver was the first one of its kind and it all started when Dane Renolds asked for a fun board with a super wide tale to ride in trestles. everyone who had one said that they were the best boards ever and they would be perfect for me since i live in bondi and surf junk so i had to by one, i got myself a similar board from maddog up in byron and it is the best thing thats ever happened to my surfing, they rip in junk waves. i used to ride a performance board but you just cant ride a tooth pick in junk. the point i am trying to make is that if you surf a beach break get yourself one of these boards!

reecen's picture
reecen's picture
reecen Monday, 3 Dec 2012 at 2:09pm

Sounds lke the Baked spud is the way to go. The sweet potato was super fun but would have been better if you could get it into the pocket easier, sounds like the BP does that and doesnt sacrifice any wave catching ability or flat section negotiating.
I am just super nervous about the firewires, a mate has had two and he loved surfing them both but snapped, one doing a bottom turn and the other doing a cutty.
That was a few years ago now, not sure if they have changed at all since then?

reecen's picture
reecen's picture
reecen Tuesday, 11 Dec 2012 at 12:36pm

Got the Baked spud, heaps of fun so far in junk waves and is a bit better in the pocket then the sweet potato.
One thing that they both seem to do is when you jam it into a cutback you get it around to where a normal board would start to slide or whip tight into a turn and instead the things just buck you over the top. Like being high sided off a bike.
Not sure if that is the quad or the fat tail, maybe rails?

more's picture
more's picture
more Sunday, 23 Dec 2012 at 7:24am