Desert Storm surfboard

caml's picture
caml started the topic in Monday, 13 Jul 2015 at 2:06pm

Discussion about the
"Desert Storm" shaped by Wayne Webster
Ridden and designed by the "Camel"

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 commented Saturday, 4 Jul 2020 at 7:24pm

hahahaha, same with my edge from nose to tail deep concave MC Protow.

fucking love the way that board feels like on a ribbed overhead point wave.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay commented Sunday, 5 Jul 2020 at 6:57am

I was thinking of my old Protow as i wrote that, FR. Similar type of board in that they are both highly refined, with no features to make them forgiving or easy to surf. All hard edges, radically folied etc. Nick C said his Protow was "toey", as I remember it. Not a bad way to describe it.

Ironically, my Reef Swallow had been sitting unridden in my garage for 6 months. I was tense - mentally and physically - felt that I couldn't paddle or surf, and the board was mildly intimidating.

Finally surfed it for four glorious days of pumping swell, and it lifted my game like crazy. Forever grateful.

Don't be afraid of High Performance :-)

zenagain commented Sunday, 5 Jul 2020 at 10:55am

I've got a 6'5" Prowtow and once the surf gets overhead and has a bit of oomph to it, it comes into its own. Taking the high speed high-line is a joy.

I'm not good at articulating how the different design features work, all I do know that on this particular stick all those features come together and I'm riding something special.

1173

zenagain commented Sunday, 5 Jul 2020 at 10:58am

ps- i have to admit, it's not a particularly forgiving board. You gotta hit that sweet spot.

1173

goofyfoot commented Sunday, 5 Jul 2020 at 11:35am

Just spent a very very hungover couple of hours reading every post in this thread. Got to be one of swellnets best.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy commented Tuesday, 7 Jul 2020 at 2:09pm
udo commented Tuesday, 7 Jul 2020 at 2:33pm

22 1/2 wide ?

udo commented Saturday, 11 Jul 2020 at 9:50am

6'4 x 193/4 x 23/4 Desert Storm- 38 litres only ridden a handfull of times
$400 ono
Facey marketplace Ballina area

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 commented Saturday, 11 Jul 2020 at 10:19pm

whats the link for that one Udo?

udo commented Sunday, 12 Jul 2020 at 8:36am

Facebook marketplace Ballina area

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy commented Sunday, 12 Jul 2020 at 8:38am

Never request links from udo, you didn’t know that yet?

T.Edds's picture
T.Edds's picture
T.Edds commented Sunday, 12 Jul 2020 at 9:00am

I purchased a stock Desert Storm (6’7’’x20x3) about two months ago. It is one of the most sensible boards I have ever owner. As has already been described it is immensely reliable and functional. The vee encourages the surfer to tap into the power points along the wave and make adjustments accordingly. It feels like it smooths everything out. Best of all The board does not feel sticky in top part of the wave and allows the rider to traverse a more horizontal line into the next section. I believe the planning surfaces of the panel vee allow the board to run rather than relying on heavy rider input.

I am interested in extending the hard edge in the rail to about 1/3 the boards total length. If Camel has played around with this much I would be very interested to hear his take.

Much appreciation to both Wayne Webster and Camel for developing such a fantastic board and being so generous with their information.