Best Surf Movie List Ever

rule303's picture
rule303 started the topic in Sunday, 13 Jun 2010 at 7:31am

Storm Riders
Crystal voyager only for the echoes scene at the end.
Billabong surf into summer
Surfers of fortune.

brian-wu's picture
brian-wu's picture
brian-wu Sunday, 13 Jun 2010 at 10:57am

i like the Tension movies. is funny comedy because they forget to stand up and just slide on their bellies

ed's picture
ed's picture
ed Sunday, 13 Jun 2010 at 11:33am

Pulse
my eyes wont dry
freakside

brianp's picture
brianp's picture
brianp Monday, 14 Jun 2010 at 1:07am

ive got like 50 surf vids on my computer at the moment and they have all been watched multiple times. My favourites would have to be;

Lost's 5'5 19 1/4 Redux (#1 IMO)
Sprout
Endless Summer
The Present
My eyes won't dry

olskool's picture
olskool's picture
olskool Wednesday, 16 Jun 2010 at 2:18am

Just watched busten down the door,
sea worthy
ocean rythems
one californian day

Can anyone tell where to get Rubber Soul,great vid and i have lost it....

gannet's picture
gannet's picture
gannet Wednesday, 16 Jun 2010 at 5:22am

2 words: Pacific Vibrations

mattpetersen's picture
mattpetersen's picture
mattpetersen Wednesday, 16 Jun 2010 at 12:13pm

Morning of the earth - number 1 of all time
sliding Liberia
sprout
yellow
the present
thicker than water

radbone08's picture
radbone08's picture
radbone08 Thursday, 17 Jun 2010 at 12:27am

1. September sessions, amazing
2. Freakshow
3. Modern Collective
4. Morning of the earth
5. Fair bits

All amazing!

maks-zorin's picture
maks-zorin's picture
maks-zorin Thursday, 17 Jun 2010 at 12:55am

An earthquake leaves the California coastline in ruins and reduces the beaches to a state of chaos. A group of Neo-Nazis led by Adolf, the self-proclaimed "Führer of the new beach," take advantage of the resulting chaos by fighting off several rival surfer gangs and seize control of the beaches

"Surf Nazis Must Die" movie

timmsy's picture
timmsy's picture
timmsy Saturday, 19 Jun 2010 at 10:12am

A couple of my favs are
-Trilogy
-Somewhere Anywere Everywere
-Endless Summer 2
-Dane Renoylds 1st Chapter ( some bullshit waves and boosts )
-Free As A Dog
-Blue Horizon
-Stepping Stones

But my favourite is probably Campaign 2, all the music in this video is awesome, and every wave is bullshit, if u dont have it . go get it. you wont be dissapointed. :D

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 12 Jul 2015 at 1:41pm

No where near the best surf movie of all time but I've got to say that as an ode to the natural charms of the East coast of Oz and as a documentation of that feeling of relentless stoke that a multiple day swell grants then it's hard to go past that old Hot Buttered flick " Sultans of speed".

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Sunday, 12 Jul 2015 at 2:26pm

A broke down melody
Bali high
Castles in the sky
Green iguana
Sprout
New emissions of light and sound

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 12 Jul 2015 at 3:20pm

"Wheres's Sancho Nias" on u tube - only a short vid but a favorite ..big tubes and a good soundtrack.....fullscreen full volume.

Boogie woogie's picture
Boogie woogie's picture
Boogie woogie Friday, 17 Jul 2015 at 4:11pm

Spirit of akasha , litmus, morning of the earth , big wedensday, the early rip curl search vids, green aguana bunyip dreaming

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 17 Jul 2015 at 4:42pm

Can't forget gripping stuff 2 and for lids the underground tapes series

uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy Saturday, 18 Jul 2015 at 7:02pm
groundswell wrote:

Can't forget gripping stuff 2 and for lids the underground tapes series

The local Cronulla vids were also great watching, not sure if the same group of friends as Stroh, didn't look that far into it
2230 featuring the July 2001 swell was pretty cool to see your average joe having a punt and 'the square'

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Sunday, 19 Jul 2015 at 12:21am

Yeah 2230 was a good one. In memory of Andrew Murphy, a cronulla charger repping for quicksilver I believe.
Andy King charging fifth left. Its rare bombie but I'd say cronullas best wave.shits on blacks.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Sunday, 19 Jul 2015 at 9:08am

Morning of the Earth.
No other surf movie stirs the emotions and has this brilliant sound track.

surfmanphantom's picture
surfmanphantom's picture
surfmanphantom Sunday, 19 Jul 2015 at 10:05am

Anyone remember "Evolution"

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Sunday, 19 Jul 2015 at 2:04pm

Yeah some great footy of Wayne lynch at Cactus.

wally's picture
wally's picture
wally Sunday, 19 Jul 2015 at 2:30pm

Storm Riders was particularly good.
Shaun Tomson ripping perfect J Bay.
Gerry Lopez at G Land.
Thornton Fallander at Nias.
Plus epic Pipe.
plus it is very well edited with well chosen pop/rock.

hovercraft's picture
hovercraft's picture
hovercraft Tuesday, 21 Jul 2015 at 1:01pm

Searching For Tom Tom Curren (mainly the 1992 surf at J bay)
Glass Love
Occumentary
Castles in the Sky
Ultimate Sessions

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 21 Jul 2015 at 1:20pm

Loved Storm Riders cos it was the very first surf movie I saw (Cronulla Cinema, 1983)
Glass Love and Lost in the Ether by Kidman, can't split 'em.
Runman, the original one only.
Evolution
Square, great locals only movie of Shark Island.

EDIT: Add Litmus to the list, put it somewhere near the top.

A mate has got me a copy of Sea Of Darkness but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Jumping mediums, I just got a copy of 'Barbarian Days' by William Finnegan and stayed up till 1am last night reading. It's one of those books. Review to come soon.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 21 Jul 2015 at 2:00pm

Same here, Storm Riders was the first surf movie I saw, at the old Byron Bay cinema on top of the hill.

still love it.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 21 Jul 2015 at 2:04pm

Ok guys..Seadreams...the first time we saw Barry Kanaiapuni rode sunset...was the best surfer in the world from late 60's to early seventies...great shaper also...best bloke...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 21 Jul 2015 at 2:11pm

Sea of Darkness, top movie, one of those flicks you need to watch twice just to absorb it all, no bad feed back no aw it was okay all watchers have said 'it was fucken unreal' Free ride have you seen it ?
Stormriders- 9 yrs since Joe Engel passed R.I.P.

finback's picture
finback's picture
finback Tuesday, 21 Jul 2015 at 4:43pm

All Down the Line with the main soundtrack to the movie by Dennis Nattrass. However MOTE inspired a whole generation to go surfing

surfstarved's picture
surfstarved's picture
surfstarved Tuesday, 21 Jul 2015 at 4:57pm

It's a close one between Blue Crush and Point Break. Outstanding performances, credible scenarios, and that 50-year swell at Bells Beach - Gee wizz!

But seriously, does anyone remember the name of the film from the mid-late 80s that had vision of guys surfing Indo to a soundtrack featuring an instrumental version of The Cure's Lullaby (

?

It was the same rough vintage as All Down the Line, but I don't know whether that was the film I'm thinking of. Anyway, it left a lasting impression on me (that sequence at least). Made me think that there might be something to this whole surfing lark after all...

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 21 Jul 2015 at 5:32pm

Few old movie posters:

poket-roket's picture
poket-roket's picture
poket-roket Tuesday, 21 Jul 2015 at 7:16pm

North Shore!!

That is all. you need. to watch....

finback's picture
finback's picture
finback Tuesday, 21 Jul 2015 at 7:31pm

I'd love to purchase some of these classic movies on iTunes. Come on Paul Witzig get it out there. The music score was written to suit the guys surfing the waves. Can anyone contact these film producers and get them to contract their surf movies to iTunes ? Thanks Stu those movie posters bring back a lot of "core memories" for me. (as in the movie Inside Out) One of those grandparent duties in the last school holidays.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 21 Jul 2015 at 7:40pm

You can buy the movies on DVD direct from Paul. $60 for his trilogy, click here: http://swllnt.com/1CSVKsF

Paul was very reluctant to put the movies into digital format, thinking he may lose control of them to the 'net pirates. Even thought that hasn't happened I doubt he'll put them on iTunes, so this could be your only way of owning them.

I bought the set - Hot Generation, Evolution, and Sea of Joy - just after he digitised them and have had many great nights watching them back to back. Unreal films...

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 21 Jul 2015 at 7:51pm

and please, if you do contact him, beg him to digitise All Down the Line.

Would love to see that footy of Tom Carroll at G-Land again.

finback's picture
finback's picture
finback Tuesday, 21 Jul 2015 at 7:54pm

Thanks Stu I have Evolution but I will contact him re All Down the Line.

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Tuesday, 21 Jul 2015 at 8:44pm

Any idea how to get a copy of sea of darkness Stu?

I think I read somewhere that they were going to re-edit and re-release a censored version. Never heard anything more and thought it might go the way of the Dodo. Plenty of people out there in internet land trying to get a copy but none in circulation.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 21 Jul 2015 at 8:57pm

carpetman wrote:

Any idea how to get a copy of sea of darkness Stu? I think I read somewhere that they were going to re-edit and re-release a censored version. Never heard anything more and thought it might go the way of the Dodo. Plenty of people out there in internet land trying to get a copy but none in circulation.

Nah, my mate got his sent to him by a guy he met at G'Land. Pretty fitting, I guess. Jed Smith interviewed the filmmaker for the latest SW but I haven't read it yet.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 21 Jul 2015 at 9:12pm

Carpetman ,that's a very polite way of saying could you burn a copy for me .

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Wednesday, 22 Jul 2015 at 7:23am
carpetman wrote:

I think I read somewhere that they were going to re-edit and re-release a censored version. Never heard anything more and thought it might go the way of the Dodo. Plenty of people out there in internet land trying to get a copy but none in circulation.

There is a few going around, I copied a few off to a few swellneter's. In the end it was a bit of a pain with postage and packaging though.
But I am making a few board covers in the next couple of weeks, so I would be happy to slip a copy in with a custom cover, very reasonable prices when I'm doing a batch. $125 for up to 7'0' wack on $15 a foot after that, plus postage.
Have I overstepped the line in marketing a product in the forums stu?:-)) If so, if you need a cover I could do a special deal.

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Wednesday, 22 Jul 2015 at 7:27am

I just ordered a copy of "caught inside" off of ebay , 6 bucks something inc. postage. Bargain!

GONAD_MAN's picture
GONAD_MAN's picture
GONAD_MAN Wednesday, 22 Jul 2015 at 7:45am

Bra Boys. :P

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 22 Jul 2015 at 9:19am

crustt wrote:
carpetman wrote:

Any idea how to get a copy of sea of darkness Stu? I think I read somewhere that they were going to re-edit and re-release a censored version. Never heard anything more and thought it might go the way of the Dodo. Plenty of people out there in internet land trying to get a copy but none in circulation.

There is a few going around, I copied a few off to a few swellneter's. In the end it was a bit of a pain with postage and packaging though. But I am making a few board covers in the next couple of weeks, so I would be happy to slip a copy in with a custom cover, very reasonable prices when I'm doing a batch. $125 for up to 7'0' wack on $15 a foot after that, plus postage. Have I overstepped the line in marketing a product in the forums stu?:-)) If so, if you need a cover I could do a special deal.

Nah, you're cool Crustt, all in context. Thanks for the special offer too but I've got a bunch of covers.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 22 Jul 2015 at 10:12am
crustt wrote:
carpetman wrote:

There is a few going around, I copied a few off to a few swellneter's. In the end it was a bit of a pain with postage and packaging though.
But I am making a few board covers in the next couple of weeks, so I would be happy to slip a copy in with a custom cover, very reasonable prices when I'm doing a batch. $125 for up to 7'0' wack on $15 a foot after that, plus postage.
Have I overstepped the line in marketing a product in the forums stu?:-)) If so, if you need a cover I could do a special deal.

Hi Crustt
I'll grab a cover to fit a 9'0". You post to vic? Im hanging to see that film. Sounds epic.

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Wednesday, 22 Jul 2015 at 10:30am

litmus, glass love, morning of the earth, pump, green iguana, bunyip dreaming, searching for tom curren, storm riders, castles in the sky

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Wednesday, 22 Jul 2015 at 10:37am

Yeah mate , I'm on west coast Vic so anywhere in Vic postage is $16, New South and S.A $18 to $23, W.A. $33

Just send us an email and organize it.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 22 Jul 2015 at 11:40am

Sweet

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Friday, 24 Jul 2015 at 9:05am

As a few people have sent a few emails asking, All the covers are 10mm foam and as light or lighter than big brand covers and well up to air travel, also comes with a large inside pocket. I am doing a batch in 10 days or so so orders need to be in by then, any orders after that are custom price and a few weeks wait. Cheers, thanks.

toneranger's picture
toneranger's picture
toneranger Friday, 24 Jul 2015 at 5:44pm

whooa,what happenned to 'liquid gold' by harry hodge.all the crew on the mornington peninsula loved it because up until the the mainstream surf media would only rave about the west coast and bells.now we got mick pearce and a guy from new zealand,whose name escapes me pulling into bullshit barrells at pumping station near gunnamatta.i remember mick saying by the time harry got down there there wasn't much of an escape route out but earlier it had even been better.the kiwi guy actually started 'skurfing' which later evolved into wakeboarding.ted bainbridge had some unbeleivabelievable footage taken from the boat when he did a demo on the yarra

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Saturday, 25 Jul 2015 at 11:14pm

Just watched "Caught Inside" not even in the top 20. The guy from Hey Dad that played bull the psychopath reminded me of a cross between Occy and one of my mates after a few drinks, amusing worth a look.
Goofy pointed out my website was kaput, so my email for the covers is [email protected]

chin's picture
chin's picture
chin Sunday, 26 Jul 2015 at 12:27am
crustt wrote:

Just watched "Caught Inside" not even in the top 20. The guy from Hey Dad that played bull the psychopath reminded me of a cross between Occy and one of my mates after a few drinks, amusing worth a look.
Goofy pointed out my website was kaput, so my email for the covers is [email protected]

Yeah more of a drama than a surf movie though. Hey Dad dude a pretty competent surfer though, saved on stunt double too haha. mate of mine knows him, quite a character apparently.
Can vouch for Crustt's covers, well made for sure.
Got a copy of Sea of Darkness from a mate, a must see, no wonder it never saw light of day.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 2:00pm

Stu, Sea of Darkness have watched it yet ?
Maybe no reply there was talk of Fiji holiday

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 3:05pm

Quote Udo"Maybe no reply there was talk of Fiji holiday"

Great movie Udo, watched it about 6 months back and commented on SN but no takers....!
I heard it got taken off main stream due to too many names mentioned...!

Geez those fellas could sure surf short single fins in solid 8-10ft pumping G-Land.
Awesome watch for sure;)