Botany Nerds Ahoy

seeds's picture
seeds started the topic in Saturday, 29 Jul 2023 at 1:40pm

Seems a keen interest for some, so why not.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 1:42pm
AlfredWallace wrote:
GuySmiley wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:
GuySmiley wrote:

IMG-1168
all good photos download

I have this growing in my garden. It’s meant to be native but I’ve lost the name tag. I has tiny finger like weak perfumed cream flowers that grow in clusters of 4-5 like an upper side of a hand.

Any clues?

GuySmiley. Hi mate. Im visually a bit confused. Is it the little plant in the foreground with white flowers or is the plant everything we can see including that green foliage ? .Thanks. AW

Background plant, foreground is a wax plant

GuySmiley. Where did you purchase the plant in the background? Thanks.

Looks like Osmanthus fragrans to me, which is from China, Japan and S.E Asia. AW

I got the plant at a native plant nursery on the MP operated by a couple from Armadale way so I’ve assumed it came from northern NSW way or higher. I’ve checked the Osmanthus fragrans flower online and the flowers on my plant (individual toothpick thickness and about 5mm long in groups of 3-5) are different although plant growth habit looks similar. Could very well be a Osmanthus fragrans thou in the absence of any other information.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 1:58pm
AlfredWallace wrote:

A great plant from all states, except N.T. A plant with missed opportunities for industry.AW

IMG-0504
how do i get https

We are curious by nature and curious about nature.

This single flower is from Linum marginale Native Flax/Linen in the Linaceae Family.
Its from my indigenous garden here at home, en masse looks amazing amongst other herbs and forbs. It’s so tough, and all of the plant is useful.
It produces those little oval shiny brown seeds that have all the Omega Fatty acids and more.
Flaxseed is aka Linseed (cricket bats!!!).
What we generally buy from health shops is the introduced species. (more on that later).
The seeds it produces are easy to collect and very nutritious.
Some folk are growing this species, collecting seed and selling it in Oz.

The flax seed we buy at outlets is generally from the introduced, Linum usitatissimum also know as Flaxseed or Linseed.

But, a lesser known fact is that L.usitatissimum is also the source of fibre which makes Linen for clothing.

Australia is definitely missing an opportunity to grow its own Linen fibre from Linum marginale , after all, its our own indigenous Flaxseed/Linen plant, again, we are not that clever. AW.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 2:02pm
GuySmiley wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:
GuySmiley wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:
GuySmiley wrote:

IMG-1168
all good photos download

I have this growing in my garden. It’s meant to be native but I’ve lost the name tag. I has tiny finger like weak perfumed cream flowers that grow in clusters of 4-5 like an upper side of a hand.

Any clues?

GuySmiley. Hi mate. Im visually a bit confused. Is it the little plant in the foreground with white flowers or is the plant everything we can see including that green foliage ? .Thanks. AW

Looks like Osmanthus fragrans to me, which is from China, Japan and S.E Asia. AW

I got the plant at a native plant nursery on the MP operated by a couple from Armadale way so I’ve assumed it came from northern NSW way or higher. I’ve checked the Osmanthus fragrans flower online and the flowers on my plant (individual toothpick thickness and about 5mm long in groups of 3-5) are different although plant growth habit looks similar. Could very well be a Osmanthus fragrans thou in the absence of any other information.

GuySmiley. I didn’t realise you had photos of your flowers, please put them in front of my eyes. Thanks AW

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 2:05pm

That's epic AW.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 2:08pm
AlfredWallace][quote=GuySmiley wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:
GuySmiley wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:
GuySmiley wrote:

IMG-1168
all good photos download

Any clues?

GuySmiley. I didn’t realise you had photos of your flowers, please put them in front of my eyes. Thanks AW[/quote

Sorry I don’t have photos of the flowers , I reckon from my fuzzy memory in flowered in autumn

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 2:32pm

GuySmiley - could it be an Alyxia? a type of 'chain fruit' (small orange fruits joined together like a small chain). It's a real favourite of mine - very small white flowers that get quite a unique pungent aroma. There is a rarer one Alyxia magnifolia, bigger leaves, look like the size in your photo. I've got the Kgari variety growing here - I collected some seed during a day-trip there some years back.

various plant books have been shown on here, but sorry AW there's been a bit of a southern Aus bias. Here is what is considered the 'bible' for SEQ/NNSW - Rainforest Trees and Shrubs. Bill McDonald is a legend, lovely guy, always willing to explore and share his wealth of knowledge. Dont know the other authors
https://rainforests.net.au/product/rainforest-trees-shrubs-second-edition/

And the tree/fruit on the cover is another absolute favourite - endangered - the small-leaved tamarind (Diploglottis campbelli). There are apparently only a few hundred left in the wild, around the Gold Coast/NNSW hinterland (FR - you might be familiar with this one/its story?). Very easy to propagate - so I've been doing a few trays each year for the last several years, and planting or giving them away to anyone interested.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 2:45pm

I heard about that one.

Was lucky enough to plant a Coastal Fontainea up on the Point.

I think, still less than a hundred trees in the wild, all at Lennox Head and lava flow behind point.

https://www.lennoxheadlandcare.org/critically-endangered-coastal-fontain...

https://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/threatenedspeciesapp/profile.aspx?id=...

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 3:02pm
GreenJam wrote:

GuySmiley - could it be an Alyxia? a type of 'chain fruit' (small orange fruits joined together like a small chain). It's a real favourite of mine - very small white flowers that get quite a unique pungent aroma. There is a rarer one Alyxia magnifolia, bigger leaves, look like the size in your photo. I've got the Kgari variety growing here - I collected some seed during a day-trip there some years back.

various plant books have been shown on here, but sorry AW there's been a bit of a southern Aus bias. Here is what is considered the 'bible' for SEQ/NNSW - Rainforest Trees and Shrubs. Bill McDonald is a legend, lovely guy, always willing to explore and share his wealth of knowledge. Dont know the other authors

And the tree/fruit on the cover is another absolute favourite - endangered - the small-leaved tamarind (Diploglottis campbelli). There are apparently only a few hundred left in the wild, around the Gold Coast/NNSW hinterland (FR - you might be familiar with this one/its story?). Very easy to propagate - so I've been doing a few trays each year for the last several years, and planting or giving them away to anyone interested.

Greenjam > Hi mate. Plenty of species of Alyxia as you head north up the east coast of OZ.
We have the leathery leafed Alyxia buxifolia in primary dune scrub down here.

I’ll definitely check out Bill Macdonald’s publications, thanks for the referral.

It’s been a bit southern biased ,i agree, but not deliberately, simply because many respondents are nestled in and around the S.E corner of our nation. Learning is yearning and for many subscribers it’s probably their first foray into the world of plants at this level.
Very honourable of you to have a constant stream of Diploglottis seedlings going back into the ground somewhere.
My wife works in all areas of Qld, she’d be very familiar with a lot of the species in Bills books I’d imagine.

We share similar traits here, collect seed (only take what’s necessary, keep a log of collections) grow on at home/nursery, plant some in our revegetation zone and some back where the original genetic material was taken from. Good stuff. Still in Arnhem Land ?. AW.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 3:32pm

Greenjam the flowers aren’t star shaped like the Alyxia rather finger shaped emanating from a single point Cheers

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 3:35pm
freeride76 wrote:

I heard about that one.

Was lucky enough to plant a Coastal Fontainea up on the Point.

I think, still less than a hundred trees in the wild, all at Lennox Head and lava flow behind point.

https://www.lennoxheadlandcare.org/critically-endangered-coastal-fontain...

https://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/threatenedspeciesapp/profile.aspx?id=...

Freeride76. Thanks for those posts. All very interesting about Fontainea oraria, I was not aware it was a member of the Euphorbiaceae family.

So few left, congratulations to all the volunteers who are helping to prolong the survival of this species. Admirable effort.

The plant sexes are intriguing to say the least , especially the varying of the ratio of M to F plants in some instances and the ratio of F to M in other plants. I read where some plants possibly have the genetic ability to revert back to the opposite sex because of low or poor genetic variability within the remnant population, possibly a result of Random Genetic Drift (possibly similar to the sexual cycle in Wollemi Pines (not a true pine) ).

I need to read and hear more, intriguing to say the least FR76. AW

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 3:42pm

that's excellent Freeride. Hope they are settling in well.

all good AW re the southern bias. I'm loving learning some more from that part of the country. Keep it up.

not in Arnhem - back home. Going to get outside shortly and continue planting up a new large trellis installed recently - been putting in a mix of native vines - Tecomanthe (Fraser Island creeper - I guess that'll have to change that one to Kgari creeper soon...), scrambling lilly, hardenbergia, wonga vine, the richmond birdwing vine, hoya. Native vines are great, provided they dont totally smother your reveg plantings!

and an update on those tests - positive to alpha-gal. Means no more red meat or any derived products for me anymore. Damnn, I've always loved a good steak. I seem to be tolerating dairy (yoghurt and butter) ok, but will likely remove them soon too and see the response. Big dietary adjustments underway. Gotta get it right or I'll waste away...

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 3:52pm

Damn GJ.

Thats a bummer about the meat allergy.

I'm trying to be much more careful- haven't seen many adult Ixodes on ducks or goats so far. Can't be far away.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 3:56pm
AlfredWallace wrote:
GreenJam wrote:

Greenjam > Hi mate. Plenty of species of Alyxia as you head north up the east coast of OZ.
We have the leathery leafed Alyxia buxifolia in primary dune scrub down here.

I’ll definitely check out Bill Macdonald’s publications, thanks for the referral.

It’s been a bit southern biased ,i agree, but not deliberately, simply because many respondents are nestled in and around the S.E corner of our nation. Learning is yearning and for many subscribers it’s probably their first foray into the world of plants at this level.
Very honourable of you to have a constant stream of Diploglottis seedlings going back into the ground somewhere.
My wife works in all areas of Qld, she’d be very familiar with a lot of the species in Bills books I’d imagine.

We share similar traits here, collect seed (only take what’s necessary, keep a log of collections) grow on at home/nursery, plant some in our revegetation zone and some back where the original genetic material was taken from. Good stuff. Still in Arnhem Land ?. AW.

GJ. Thanks again. Bills book paid for and dispatched today I’ve been told. Something to look forward to in my roadside box next week.AW

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 5:05pm
GreenJam wrote:

that's excellent Freeride. Hope they are settling in well.

all good AW re the southern bias. I'm loving learning some more from that part of the country. Keep it up.

not in Arnhem - back home. Going to get outside shortly and continue planting up a new large trellis installed recently - been putting in a mix of native vines - Tecomanthe (Fraser Island creeper - I guess that'll have to change that one to Kgari creeper soon...), scrambling lilly, hardenbergia, wonga vine, the richmond birdwing vine, hoya. Native vines are great, provided they dont totally smother your reveg plantings!

and an update on those tests - positive to alpha-gal. Means no more red meat or any derived products for me anymore. Damnn, I've always loved a good steak. I seem to be tolerating dairy (yoghurt and butter) ok, but will likely remove them soon too and see the response. Big dietary adjustments underway. Gotta get it right or I'll waste away...

Greenjam. Are you aware of a Fodmap plan for your diet ?

FODMAP. Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides and Polyols.

My wife had shocking dietary problems for 25 years, got onto the above and has never looked back. AW

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 5:56pm
seeds wrote:

Not sure if they are true gingers. That type I have, as above, gets edible yellow parts of the flowers. You can put a cut stem in the ground and it will grow a root bulb.

Gingers is just a name that cover a whole group of tropical leafed plants that have a rhizome (like what we buy as ginger from the shop) and generally a unique flower

I was curious to see how many there are and googled it, about 1,600 different gingers and about 100 Costus species alone.

Only a small percentage are edible though like standard Ginger, Turmeric, Galangal and a few others or like you said can eat flowers of some too

Others are used for medical uses or just ornamental plants.

The Costus you mentioned above, is a nice one one of best Costus, easy to grow with nice flowers, and gets lots of flowers.

Heresso some of my favourite fairly common gingers.

Zingiber spectabile (Bee hive ginger)

These are super cool and easy to grow, IMHO a must have for a tropical look garden from Sydney north, the flowers are amazing almost look like they are made of wax or something, can get a few different colours and sizes.

Costus species, these are also easy to grow and cool looking Costus barbatus/ C. comosus and Costus productus(smaller growing) are my two picks

Etlingera elatior (torch ginger) cool flower but its a bigger grower

&t=204s

Curcuma sp (Turmeric) small growing die back in winter or dry, suitable to grow in a pot.
BTW. There is a cool native one too Curcuma australasica (Cape York Lily)

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 6:24pm

Love those turmeric flowers and do have a clump of beehive ginger that is buried by a mass of passion fruit vines. Time for a spring clean.

Bud1's picture
Bud1's picture
Bud1 Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 8:45pm

Hello AW (please look away free), this is definitely my last attempt at trying to get photo’s of the sea eagles, or any birds or flying objects.

I relented, and tried to heed your request AW. I had the sea eagles in the view finder spiralling around, then the intense pressure, unbeknowns to me, took its toll. I realised that even the slightest bit of paint colour and pigmentation could be too revealing! Then was the concrete texture a give away, and what about the cloud formation!

So as I juggled and contorted to get into the perfect spot, I suddenly remembered the birds… push the shutter! I got the shot!

Or so I thought. Imagine my absolute horror, when having posted the shots, dicovering that not only had I missed the sea eagles, but somehow all I’d captured is my hanging and chinning bar!

Words fail me. The stunning smile quickly became a grimace! In my defence, it was you who planted the seed so to speak AW, but I wouldn’t absorb all the blame, blackers played a hand in this photo thing too. But the real culprit, once again, is Goofer. Who has mysteriously disappeared and slunk off into the mulch.

47770430-47-CE-4-FEB-990-B-1012-F34-A897-B
EF602-F5-D-346-B-4993-B8-E6-8-E50456513-F1

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 9:01pm

Chin up Bud, nice clouds. Enjoy the serenity.

Bud1's picture
Bud1's picture
Bud1 Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 9:04pm

Haha, I like it!

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 9:15pm

AW, did you mention the “O” word? It’s that time of the year….
1-D8-A0-F68-99-BA-479-A-917-E-B89600-D3-F9-D8
upload picture free

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 9:49pm
Distracted wrote:

AW, did you mention the “O” word? It’s that time of the year….
1-D8-A0-F68-99-BA-479-A-917-E-B89600-D3-F9-D8
upload picture free

Distracted. Hi. I may have in previous threads. Yes, you’re right it’s certainly Orchid time. I’m off tomorrow on a bird/plant field day, weather looks fine, should be good. I’ll get some snaps hopefully.AW.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 24 Aug 2023 at 8:47am

This mean anything to you AW, or anyone?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 24 Aug 2023 at 9:02am

Bit more simple I think.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Thursday, 24 Aug 2023 at 11:05am
freeride76 wrote:

This mean anything to you AW, or anyone?

Mangroves @FR

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 24 Aug 2023 at 11:40am

Yep Fitzy.

5 species in NSW (heaps more in the tropics)

Looks like at least 2 species on the beach.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Thursday, 24 Aug 2023 at 11:55am

Oh wow! That's what they are.. nice one.
(like taro, edible if baked apparently..)

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Thursday, 24 Aug 2023 at 7:05pm

Mangrove propagules for sure.

Globally, Australia , has the second largest mangrove distribution on earth and a large species representation .

.Here in Victoria in the mangroves (Avicennia marina) I/we visit with our field naturalists members, we can already see by the use of overhead digital mapping that mangroves are retreating inland considerably. Some stands have moved inland 100m in short recent times, threatening existing saltmarsh systems.

They are also increasing in altitude albeit very small as a response to change in sea level, and the altering of the composition of the water that is around them. Saltwater to freshwater (stormwater) mix ratios are changing and directly affecting the plants total biology.

Stormwater influx into wetlands we survey is a huge problem at present, mostly to do with new large high density developments of housing estates , where on each new house block, there is soooo much more house than ever before, leaving very little permeable land that rain fall can be absorbed into the soil profile.
As a result , stormwater, that runs off driveways, garages, sheds etc. is directed to the street, the whole streets water ends up in a barrel drain and then piped over some distance into the nearest lake, river, creek or saltmarsh.
This massive increase of freshwater into these systems makes its way towards a river and eventually to the sea, along its journey this water is diluting existing conditions and changes water composition.

Saltmarsh systems have plants that require a certain amount of salt in the soil as part of their biology. Freshwater influx dilutes that salt contributing to the slow decline of plant species normally leading to death in some cases.
Note* Where there is an increase in plant growth its weeds and exotics, that can now handle living closer to saltmarshes in less salty water than normal and now that becomes a problem that didn’t exist beforehand and will lead to a change in ecology. We really are fucking things up with this population expansion and the need to put everyone in a house or new home.

Of late, we observed saltmarsh plants turning a burgundy colour as a result of the shutting down of photosynthesis and the production of chlorophyll ceasing. The plants are stressed so they don’t photosynthesise, can’t make food, death is imminent .

As a society we must place more pressure on local, state and federal governments to address this run off issue.AW.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Thursday, 24 Aug 2023 at 7:24pm

yep AW - saltmarsh are effectively getting squeezed out - between a rock and hard place.
such important nurseries and source of energy for our critters not to mention the carbon sequestration services.
can we not "drain the swamp" donald.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 24 Aug 2023 at 7:33pm

Yeah bummer AW.

I love those red calyx's of the Bruguiera gymnorhiza (large leafed mangrove).

You often see them floating in the water in the tropics and sub-tropics.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Thursday, 24 Aug 2023 at 8:10pm
bonza wrote:

yep AW - saltmarsh are effectively getting squeezed out - between a rock and hard place.
such important nurseries and source of energy for our critters not to mention the carbon sequestration services.
can we not "drain the swamp" donald.

Bonza. Hi mate. So true, so sad really, we are just a destructive careless species by nature, I think.

Saltmarshes. ‘ Kidneys of The Waterways’, the last chance seaward filtration system.
The black sludge you encounter in salt-marshes, contains a lot of human induced pollutants, imagine what the oceans would be like without these intact vegetative systems. We definitely wouldn’t be surfing.
Mangroves as I’ve stated are increasing in altitude, but a lot of this a two type step up.

1st. Step. Retreat inland due to sea level rise, water composition change. Stands increase in height (elevation)

2nd. Mangrove plant growth by its very nature of producing new roots and basal stability at this new elevation, increases in height with an overall total biomass increase as they grow, plants appear way higher than you’d thought they could naturally attain. AW

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Thursday, 24 Aug 2023 at 8:08pm
freeride76 wrote:

Yeah bummer AW.

I love those red calyx's of the Bruguiera gymnorhiza (large leafed mangrove).

You often see them floating in the water in the tropics and sub-tropics.

Freeride76. Too right. Beautiful plants.

Don’t you love when surfing in the tropics and you see a coconut, mangrove or some other ocean aided plant , slowly drifting and bobbing by.
I’m often momentarily transfixed on them, wondering and imagining the journey they are on, the currents and wind but mostly currents, where they’ve been, where they are heading, where they end up, fascinating stuff. As we know the worlds ocean currents drive everything.
Sea miles, you love them, in whatever form they come.AW.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Thursday, 24 Aug 2023 at 8:15pm

IMG-2519
IMG-2518

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Sunday, 27 Aug 2023 at 11:59am
blackers wrote:

Portsea rose, nice name GF. Here's a new one starting to show up a bit. Another Saffa import
20221113-162059-2

Blackers Hi, hope you are well.
I’ve been meaning to ask .

What are these daisies ? I could go around in a daze suggesting many, many Asteraceous names.

They are macro shots so its not always easy to identify without seeing them ‘in situ’ and in their spatial context.

Cosmos ?, i think not.

Thanks again. AW

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Sunday, 27 Aug 2023 at 12:21pm

This mean anything to any of you southern gentlemen?

Absolutely iconic sub-tropical Gondwanan tree, definitely the most spiritually and culturally significant tree of the region.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 27 Aug 2023 at 12:27pm
seeds wrote:

Love those turmeric flowers and do have a clump of beehive ginger that is buried by a mass of passion fruit vines. Time for a spring clean.

Nice good time of year to do it, all these ginger type plants also response well to a good handful of dynamic lifter or similar before a good rain and a good mulch.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Sunday, 27 Aug 2023 at 12:27pm
freeride76 wrote:

Absolutely iconic sub-tropical Gondwanan tree, definitely the most spiritually and culturally significant tree of the region.

Freeride76. Araucariaceae family thats for sure. Photo taken up your way ? AW

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Sunday, 27 Aug 2023 at 12:28pm

Yep. Aracauria sp.
Know which one?

Collect from leaf litter on a rainforest remnant not far away.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Sunday, 27 Aug 2023 at 12:33pm
AlfredWallace wrote:
freeride76 wrote:

Freeride76. Araucariaceae family thats for sure. Photo taken up your way ? AW

Without a close inspection, Araucaria bidwillii.. Bunya Pine AW

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Sunday, 27 Aug 2023 at 12:40pm

Yep. Some magnificent specimens around here. Native to Bunya Mts in SEQLD but possibly introduced by indigenous crew to NENSW because of it's immense value.
There's probably more hoop pines around me (and planted Norfolks) but I love the native pines.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Sunday, 27 Aug 2023 at 12:47pm
freeride76 wrote:

Yep. Some magnificent specimens around here. Native to Bunya Mts in SEQLD but possibly introduced by indigenous crew to NENSW because of it's immense value.
There's probably more hoop pines around me (and planted Norfolks) but I love the native pines.

Majestic Freeride76. I spent a few nights in Bunya Mountains N.P back in April, mind blowing amount of them. Plenty of Paradise Riflebirds and other gems.
i will be going back there soon when i drive a car home to Vic from Cairns airport car park. Ive got fifteen days out in the sticks again, heading way out west of Barcaldine, Linton etc. On my own, love it. AW

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Sunday, 27 Aug 2023 at 12:49pm

Apparently the Bunya is incredibly hardy once established and completely at home in more temperate environments.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Sunday, 27 Aug 2023 at 1:06pm

This mean anything to you Northern ladies or gentlemen?

IMG-2509
IMG-2510
IMG-2505

Back soon, need a pea. AW

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Sunday, 27 Aug 2023 at 1:10pm
freeride76 wrote:

Apparently the Bunya is incredibly hardy once established and completely at home in more temperate environments.

Ive got one thats now 1.2m high, they grow very well in Victoria, to massive trees like up your way, relictual gene flow from a much colder climate a very long time ago.AW

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Sunday, 27 Aug 2023 at 7:01pm

Looks familiar AW.

Purple pea bush?

Hovea acutifolia

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 28 Aug 2023 at 12:34pm
freeride76 wrote:

Looks familiar AW.

Purple pea bush?

Hovea acutifolia

Freeride76. You are right mate. Hovea sp. Fabaceae family.

Geographically, you have mostly Hovea lanceolata and Hovea acutiflora, trailing, twining to small shrub to medium shrubs.

Pea flowers abound in all states at present. Great nitrogen fixers aided by Rhizobium sp. bacteria.

Photos i posted are Hovea heterophylla a twining ground cover plant.

Most species are very similar, subtle differences. Beautiful plants.AW

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 28 Aug 2023 at 12:36pm
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 28 Aug 2023 at 12:45pm
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Monday, 28 Aug 2023 at 3:15pm

just catching up...

some absolute favourites of mine being mentioned. Bunyas - awesome trees, I grow a batch every year, well actually, we just dump a heap of seed under some mulch and come back some months later and dig our all the seedlings and pot them up. Much easier than waiting for them in the nursery.

and I'm with you FR - love all the native pines. I've actually got a cluster on the deck thatI call my ode to the pines - potted specimens of bunya, hoop, kuari, plum pine (podocarpus), callitris (sometimes called Bribie Is pine). Got a rarer Daintree pine (Gymnostoma) in the ground - they look beautiful.

and the hovea - also beautiful. Some years seem better for the depth of colour in the flowers. This year was ok, I recall last year was epic. And I did have a white flowering variety for a while, but it died off.

and fully agree AW - the Bunya Mts are amazing. So many massive trees, not just Bunyas. The 'whitewoods' (Eleaocarpus kirtonii) are great too (I actually stayed in a wicked little place called 'Whitewood Cottage' - the birdlife on the deck was incredible, it all just came to you if you just sat there and waited). I was there in 2019, it was still in drought, so just trickles in all the waterfalls, but at least no leeches. Hope to get back there soon.