Surfing Fiji with pregnant partner and 18 mo

C B's picture
C B started the topic in Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 3:11pm

Hey folks!

We're looking at a surf trip to Fiji in late June. My partner wont be surfing as she'll be about 5 months pregnant, and we'll have a near 2 yo with us too.

I know July is the big swell season, and that's not really my jam. Too unfit and not getting out nearly enough for that.

I've done a few trips to Indo and kinda had my fill of crappy transfers, "aggressive surfers", and gastro...

Hoping there is some advice on a resort that'd get nice waves that won't destroy me (couple of foot overhead is fine, just as long as I won't be attacked with lime wedges on a daily basis!), that will also cater to looking after the kid and allowing my partner to relax by the pool and get a snorkel in here and there.

Am I dreaming at that time of year??

Happy to take advice on other locations too. Our window to get away is pretty much limited to the second half of July...

Cheers for any input!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 3:27pm

Just looking at Viti Levu, or willing to travel to some of the more remote islands?

kooklife's picture
kooklife's picture
kooklife Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 3:44pm

Matanavusi ticks all your boxes. I was exactly in your shoes (albeit 9 years ago), toddler, pregnant wife etc and we had a great time there. As long as it hasn't changed too much I highly recommend.

C B's picture
C B's picture
C B Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 3:48pm

I guess that'll require a bit of a cost benefit analysis!

Ease of getting there and back will have to be factored in with the kid and the partner. Both are pretty robust but have their limits!

The driver for this vacation is my partner wanting some chill time. She knows I can't sit still for 5 mins so this what we're hoping will work well for both of us. I wouldn't want to tak on any arduous transfers or too much time.

Ash's picture
Ash's picture
Ash Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 3:53pm

Son just got back from his honeymoon and I think, stayed at Plantation Island.
Said it was very family orientated and the deal he got was not as outrageous as other resorts. Very expensive, it's not Indo. Boat is about $100 a trip, he surfed Wilkes, Swimming Pools and Cloudy, all different but CB had a few bomb, wide ones that rattled him, you need a proper board there over a certain size.
They loved it and apparently the coral is razor sharp, so mid to high tides are the go.

C B's picture
C B's picture
C B Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 4:35pm

Cheers @Ash yeah I reckon $100 a boat trip would be pushing my budget a fair bit. And also not so keen on Cloud break. Don't have the will or the equipment these days. Are there any spots around Plantation Island that light up on big swells for those of us looking to enjoy ourselves without risking it all!?

Thanks @Kooklife, Just gave Matanavusi a buzz to see what's available.

Ash's picture
Ash's picture
Ash Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 4:49pm

No worries, he only had 4 surfs as the budget was limited, also said the tidal current at Wilkes one session was a real workout, sounds like fun but you have to be surf fit and cashed up. Going to Bali in June, and am wondering how I'm going to find it after the last trip in 2019, all I read lately is Russians, Russians and Russians. Does it matter? Especially after watching some of the crowds at Snapper, I can't fathom paddling out in the human carpet there.

Sprout's picture
Sprout's picture
Sprout Wednesday, 26 Apr 2023 at 12:25pm

Matanivusi has spots that are easy in big swells. 3-4 boats to split people by skill or breaks they want to surf. All spots are a boat ride. Snorkelling anything decent is a boat ride, SUP or kayak too as off the beach is mostly weed bed. They love kids and can arrange minders from Vunaniu (village around the corner) to come and mind them. Been there a few times and will go there again.

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Wednesday, 26 Apr 2023 at 5:36pm

My boss has been to Matanivusi a couple of times and spoke highly of it.

I'm interested in this thread too. Always do a 2-4 week Indo trip each year but I've now got a 5 month old so Indo will have to take a break for a while. Thinking Fiji might be an option as we can stay somewhere a bit nicer to keep my wife happy and I can still get some surfs in.

C B's picture
C B's picture
C B Thursday, 27 Apr 2023 at 2:01pm

Cheers for all the info guys!

I just heard back from Matanivusi, and we're looking at about $870 a night staying there. Unfortunately we're not able to afford that. I guess I was hoping for about half!? Am I dreaming?? It looks amazing, unfortunately just don't have that kind of money to throw about.

C B's picture
C B's picture
C B Thursday, 27 Apr 2023 at 2:02pm
thermalben wrote:

Just looking at Viti Levu, or willing to travel to some of the more remote islands?

Do the islands present many options? If the rates are cheaper I think we could find a way of getting ourselves there!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 27 Apr 2023 at 2:03pm

$870 a night for two of you and a 2yo! WTF.

Sprout's picture
Sprout's picture
Sprout Thursday, 27 Apr 2023 at 2:09pm

Waidroka Bay Resort is the cheaper one a couple corners around from Matanivusi. I've not stayed there so not sure how much cheaper, but they surf the same spots.

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Thursday, 27 Apr 2023 at 2:10pm
C B wrote:

Cheers for all the info guys!

I just heard back from Matanivusi, and we're looking at about $870 a night staying there. Unfortunately we're not able to afford that. I guess I was hoping for about half!? Am I dreaming?? It looks amazing, unfortunately just don't have that kind of money to throw about.

I looked at the prices after I mentioned it and decided I might have to look elsewhere rather than go to Fiji!

Ash's picture
Ash's picture
Ash Thursday, 27 Apr 2023 at 2:34pm

That's the prices the newly wedded couple were quoted however they got a $470 p/n price, which is way cheaper than $800+
Still hard to beat a nice hotel in Bali for $70p/n + a decent breakfast.

C B's picture
C B's picture
C B Friday, 28 Apr 2023 at 9:55am
Craig wrote:

Yeah, apparently a fair few cashed up surfers out there!

kooklife's picture
kooklife's picture
kooklife Friday, 28 Apr 2023 at 10:02am
Craig wrote:

ah yeah it seems prices have gone up since I was there ........

C B's picture
C B's picture
C B Friday, 28 Apr 2023 at 10:07am

Looks like were off the Fiji idea, just discovered it's a Zika risk...

Looking now at Vanuatu and Timor Leste!

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Friday, 28 Apr 2023 at 10:51am

We spread the zika rumors CB.. trying to get the prices down for ya!

C B's picture
C B's picture
C B Friday, 28 Apr 2023 at 1:23pm

You're a good man basesix.

My partner doesn't buy it though!

Anyone surfed Vanuatu? Seems it's a bit fickle? (New Caledonia I'm' looking at you!)

spidermonkey's picture
spidermonkey's picture
spidermonkey Saturday, 29 Apr 2023 at 9:54am

Sounds like the Maldives would tick a lot of the boxes for you.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Saturday, 29 Apr 2023 at 10:04am

Long travel distance though with multiple stop-overs? Especially with a 5 month pregnant wife.

greyhound's picture
greyhound's picture
greyhound Saturday, 29 Apr 2023 at 11:56am

Vanuatu would tick all but the most important of your requirements. Surf.

Sprout's picture
Sprout's picture
Sprout Saturday, 29 Apr 2023 at 12:46pm

Rote? Not as quiet as touted these days but still great waves away from Tland.