Screw Qantas

Pops's picture
Pops started the topic in Thursday, 2 Mar 2023 at 4:31pm

A couple of weeks ago, after a 17 hour delay, I arrived in Honolulu at 3am to find my coffin bag with a puncture at the nose, and my Arakawa RP step-up snapped in half. Bastard baggage handlers must have chucked the bag off the plane nose first.
It's the third time I've had a board damaged travelling that route with Qantas.

Anyone else had a similar experience, and had any luck claiming compensation?

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Thursday, 2 Mar 2023 at 4:38pm

Back in Aus now, and will hopefully be looking for a replacement soon (I was very much tempted to get another Arakawa before I left, but didn't want to risk that one getting busted too!)

Anyone ridden one of Howie's F8B11 Step models?

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 2 Mar 2023 at 5:21pm

Sorry to hear that Pops, i have never been that route but i often (maybe not often- once-twice a year)fly Qantas from syd- perth-gero and back with boards and never had a drama. Maybe domestic staff are just better than international. Not sure, even 2013 or 2014 planning permanent move to WA with 5x coffin with heavy wheels, no damage at all and apparently heavy coffins are a bad idea..
If you have decent travel insurance which you probably already organized but if not they will cover that.

Not sure about howies boards never heard of them to be honest.

Hope you get covered and find a good replacement quiver.

If howies dont look good Tokoro is a very world class hawaiian shaper with excellent range.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 2 Mar 2023 at 5:22pm

That really sux pops , Allan Joyce had the hide to say that you pay a little bit more for airfares with Qantas because of their service , which was one of the best in the world . He’s thinking of decades past , before he took over as boss hog .

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 2 Mar 2023 at 6:12pm

Maybe they are due for their first ever plane crash under Allen Joyce?

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Thursday, 2 Mar 2023 at 6:19pm
groundswell wrote:

Hope not!!! I’m travelling for work next week.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 2 Mar 2023 at 6:37pm

I hope not too, sorry to possibly jinx it..I hope not for your sake and everyone else and my cousin Qantas pilot too..

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 2 Mar 2023 at 6:38pm

jetstar, not sure if they fly to Hawaii but they almost had a crash in there like 5th year of running

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Thursday, 2 Mar 2023 at 6:59pm

I must be one of the lucky few that have never had a board wrecked by baggage handlers.
Though once the AFP at Brisbane threatened to take my board bag "out the back and blow it up" after I walked twenty feet away from it to grab a coffee.

But yeah , screw Qantas. A warm face towel and a complimentary pack of peanuts isn't worth the extra coin IMO.

Chicken Schnitty's picture
Chicken Schnitty's picture
Chicken Schnitty Thursday, 2 Mar 2023 at 10:58pm
groundswell wrote:

JFC of all the things to post - as if I didnt hate flying already
now you jinx the only company I felt half safe flying

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 3 Mar 2023 at 8:32am

I really dont know why i posted that. I dont think it will happen if smac didnt really used to crash or if they did it wasnt often, merpati and lion air dont crash as often as you think they could. But yeah i didnt really think twice just thought if the guys a twit maybe he will run Qantas into the ground and probably shouldnt have posted it..

Sorry fellas.