The Necessity of Reparation for Historic Injustices

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond started the topic in Sunday, 25 Jul 2021 at 1:26pm

Uni assignment i did a few years ago. This is my take on things. I'm sure this will ruffle many feathers. I hope so.
Love Blue Diamond x

The Necessity of Reparation for Historic Injustices

Introduction – Compensatory Justice
Disparities between the standards of living of humans on this planet have long been a part of our history on this planet. From the wealthy nations of the West to the developing and undeveloped nations on this globe, the diversity in the quality of life when viewed from a moral standpoint are without a doubt grossly unfair.
In this paper I will look at why historic injustices do require some form of reparation. I take a strong stance that we are more obliged to solve current injustices than to provide reparation for every act of injustice in the past. In doing this I will first investigate the historic injustice of the Aboriginal people of Australia and I will look at the argument that they are entitled to some form of reparation and why.
I will incoroporate some interesting views from Jeremy Waldron, Robert Nozick and others which will help me slowly build to my conclusion that reparation should be in the form of Non Indigenous Australians surrendering some of our priveleges as a form of reparation.

Historic Injustices to Indigenous Australians:
Australia the continent was well inhabited for many years long before white settlement. It is commonly known that in 1788 Australia was colonised as a country under the rule of the British Empire, with total contempt for the fact that it was already inhabited by a native indigenous race of people.
The way the original inhabitants have been treated, including forced assimilation, execution, stolen families and not even allowed to be recognised as citizens for a large part of white Australia’s history are also well known facts. (Poole, 1999,pp114-142)
There exists now a situation where there is a large divide between Aboriginal and non Aboriginal Australian’s that can be traced back to the moment Australia was invaded by English settlers and the brutal and unfair treatment that has followed.
So at this point now, in 2013 what is the just and fair way to make amends for past actions?
I would argue that a moderate to large amount of reparation is overdue for this nation of people, the Aboriginal people. But there are many challenges to this view point especially that of how much reparation, and what sort of compensation.

Past injustices or present suffering?
One of the questions raised in an issue like this is whether it is better to provide compensation or reparation for past deeds, which have already been done in a previous generation and cannot be changed, or whether it is better to now provide assistance to those who are suffering in their current situations and consider that as a form of moral duty.
To understand this we need to delve a little deeper into this issue and hear some differing viewpoints.
Firstly we need to understand what the best way to provide reparation. How do we judge what is the best way of giving back and how much? Jeremy Waldron states “The historic record has a fragility that consists, …in the sheer contingency of what happened in the past” (Waldron,1992,p5 )
This is saying that we can’t trace every single injustice back to the original act therefore reparation for every act would be almost impossible because it would ultimately be guess work.
In this statement he has an objection from Robert Nozick who believes it is in fact possible to address this problem by “changing the present so that it resembles how the past would have looked had the injustice not taken place” (McKenzie, 2013)
This would be a way to ultimately provide maximum reparation, but is it the correct approach? I believe this is a fairly radical approach, although it does have some merits in the fact it would be working in a positive way for indigenous people, I don’t think it is entirely the right way to deal with these issues but it is on the right track.
Waldron argues that it is based on too many unknowns. “The status of counterfactual reasoning about the exercising of human reasoning of human freedom is unclear”(Waldron 1993,p10)
Which leaves the question somewhat open about the sort of reparation that is required, but provides one clear answer to the key question. Both agree that yes, reparation to some extent is required. But how much and in what form?
Another philosopher who leans more towards Waldron’s views is Kymlicka. He is somewhat more straightforward in his assessment that property rights in particular for Aboriginals would create “massive unfairness” and also he maintains the argument “Aboriginal rights must be grounded in concerns about equality and contemporary disadvantage. (McKenzie, 2013) I agree with both these views but I don’t think they provide any active solutions.

The Solution?
So if its not handing back all of Australia’s land to the original inhabitants that is the most appropriate way to deal with past injustices, then what is?
I look at the current country I grew up in, as a white Australian. I ask myself why I never had Aboriginal friends growing up, no understanding of Aboriginal culture and why my basic understanding of Indigenous Australians is mostly 200 years old. I look at our flag, a symbol of a nation that stole a country from its original inhabitants, with no recognition of the Indigenous people at all on it. I see that Australia considered Indigenous people as less than people until only 40 years ago and I see the way that Indigenous Australians live a completely separate life to the way of life I know as an Australian. I see that the only indigenous politician I am aware of is a former Olympian and it is because of this fact of her sporting status that I know this. I see no collective power or representation of Indigenous Australians and I see non Indigenous Australians,( a culture built on a history of stealing a land and mistreating its people) still taking, taking as much out of this land as they can, with little to no regard of sharing or giving to the original inhabitants. I see a government that says lots of words about ‘closing the gap’ and bringing the living standards of non- indigenous and indigenous Australians closer together, but apart from nice words, there is no conviction, no follow through, just assimilation , and all that still remains are injustices.
As stated by Sparrow, “Continuity gives rise to responsibility on part of present generations of Australians for our history”.(McKenzie,2013). Although deeds happened in the past beyond our control, what we do now to either ignore, or rectify these issues will reflect on us in history. So if we choose to do nothing, we are contributing to the history of the mistreatment of non- indigenous Australians. And this is simply unacceptable in my opinion.

Conclusion
So what is fair? I believe that the way forward is a surrendering of some of our privileges as non- indigenous Australians. The simple fact is it was morally wrong without a doubt what has happened in the past. And it is also morally wrong without a doubt to ignore these facts and not offer some form of reparation in the present. But how much?
I think that going back to Robert Nozick’s argument is a start. I think Nozick is wrong to make the present resemble the past in every aspect. But I do think that it would be reasonable to restore some aspects of the way things should be. The things that happened in the past were out of our control and we can’t go back to changing the way things were. But we could change the way things are.
For some examples. Why not give at least 50% of political power to indigenous people? It surely would be a fair thing to do considering this is their country. Media control. 50 percent. Industry. Realestate. The list goes on. Why do we not acknowledge the indigenous people on our flag, or better still use their flag? Why is Australia still a part of the Commonwealth when it serves little purpose to any of us and serves as a constant reminder to Indigenous Australians that they are still controlled by the original invaders. These to me are fairly simple reparations that would have minimal impact on Australia as a whole. Perhaps, it would alter the way we live but I think it is our responsibility, morally to forfeit some of our privileges for the greater good. Basically a little bit goes a long way.
In closing, it is a fact that a huge injustice occurred to the Indigenous population and suffering continues to this day. There is no easy solution to such a burden of pain. I believe the only solutions are for the non- Indigenous population to take responsibility and sacrifice our own way of life to bring about an overall equality. Sacrifice is not an easy word. But it all comes down to right and wrong. We are in a position to give, in this current generation. What are we so scared to lose, that was never ours in the first place??

Bibliography
McKenzie,C.”Prof” (2013), Lecture, Historic Injustices and Indigenous Rights, Macquarie University
Poole, R. (1999). Nation and Identity.Routledge, London, pp.114-142
Waldron,J. (1992). ‘Superseding Historic Injustice’. Ethics, 103 (1), 4-28

References
Poole, R. (1999). Nation and Identity.Routledge, London, pp.114-142
Waldron,J. (1992). ‘Superseding Historic Injustice’. Ethics, 103 (1), 4-28

oliver.ricci's picture
oliver.ricci's picture
oliver.ricci Tuesday, 9 Jan 2024 at 4:28pm

I follow a twitter/X feed of his quotes, really interesting. In the context of frog’s comment

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Tuesday, 9 Jan 2024 at 5:31pm
wax24 wrote:
southernraw wrote:

haha. Agreed @popdown. Best avoided with that kinda name!
Nah it's a beautiful place.
There was a night, November, 2017, that a fella and his missus went to the top and camped in the middle of one of the most hardcore electrical storms i've ever witnessed. He got zapped and sadly died. Can't imagine how his missus felt up there alone with him.. I think that might have had something to do with the reason people were stopped from climbing such a powerful spiritual place.
That same night i was on top of the platform next to the Ballina watertower overlooking Ballina with a dear friend, watching the craziest lightshow ive ever seen. Never seen lightning like that. Felt like it was literally cracking over the top of our heads. Can't believe we didn't get zapped either!!

Hey Southern.... you may enjoy a book titled "Shattered Air," by Bob Madgic
It is about a hiking crew in 1985 that climbed to the top of Half Dome in a winter storm. Half Dome is in Yosemite (dunno if you knew that) and is the highest point rising outta the valley. Bald, rock top, it gets lotsa lightening strikes. The rangers won't let ya climb any further in a storm anymore, i think, cuz of this event. They make ya turn around and descend. I got caught in a lightening storm just below where the cables begin, in 1991. The last 500ft or so at the summit, there are cables to grab onto so as not to fall off the face. The storm came sudden, and there was no time, so a ranger shows up and yells at me to shelter in place. I got under a smallish tree that was next to, and sheltered by, a much bigger pine. I figured the pine would take the brunt and leave the smaller tree alone. Lotsa strikes and wind and general fright. Crazy hour of my life, but, as nothing bad happened (I had to descend in a pouring rain, that was the worst of it), i recall it fondly.
Anyways, the book is well done, the story fascinating and instructive. If ya get hard up for a read......?

Cheers Waxy. Will keep an eye out for it next time i'm at the library!
Geez that sounds pretty extreme! Glad you survived.
Funny things electrical storms. I've had times where i've been completely out in the open and embracing it and just knowing i wouldn't get struck (like Ballina night) and other times, i've been cowering under shelter certain that at any minute i'll get zapped. There's definitely an energetic exchange between us and them i reckon.
Cheers.

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Thursday, 11 Jan 2024 at 8:59pm

Breaking. Turns out Swellnet's evil mofo savant is a huge advocate for land rights.
Contrary to the pages and pages and pages of dribble above.
Who woulda thunk!
Post at 7.27pm 11 January .. https://www.swellnet.com/forums/politico/571321?page=61

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 11 Jan 2024 at 9:07pm

@southern , I’ve been reading and holding off commenting as there’s really no point. I just wish indo had as much passion for aborigines .

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Thursday, 11 Jan 2024 at 9:17pm

yep, same ^^
not worth it though, as soon as you argued a point on this thread, the no's would Bolt to a different angle - kinda had an aids virus thing going on.

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Thursday, 11 Jan 2024 at 9:13pm

Same same @supa.
No time like the present though!

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Friday, 19 Jan 2024 at 11:15pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

And more good news from the Voice debacle

"Anthony Albanese's approval dips among one group of Aussies as Peter Dutton gains ground"

Blue-collar workers are losing faith with the Albanese government, as support for the Coalition gains ground among tradies and Australians with TAFE educations.

The latest poll conducted by RedBridge has found Labor's vote has dropped four per cent since August, with support among working-class Aussies noticeably slipping.

The results of the poll cast light on the possibility that the country's rejection of the Voice to Parliament might damage Labor's vote at the next election."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12711173/Anthony-Albaneses-supp...

"and more good news.."
What an evil cunt you are.
This is your read on something that affects generations of humans that have sufferered trauma on their own lands and have copped yet another slap down.
Your karma is set in stone. You probably should go back to Indonesia....your island is no sanctuary from your evil ways.
Cuntwana. Rot in hell.

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Friday, 19 Jan 2024 at 11:17pm

And for everyone else. Big love.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Saturday, 20 Jan 2024 at 9:26am

;)

https://m.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 20 Jan 2024 at 6:52pm
southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 6:35pm

Never thought i'd share an article from Elle...but here it is.
Always worth listening to those affected.
https://www.elle.com.au/culture/politics/indigenous-australian-perspecti...
People say you should be proud to be Australian. After the debacle of the country voting NO to an Indigenous voice in parliament last year, i could never be more ashamed to be Australian than right now.
I'm pretty certain our diggers that fought alongside Indigenous crew would be just as ashamed that what they fought for...equality and freedom for all....was completely blown to pieces by our media, politicians and average joe redneck population.
Happy invasion day for tomorrow.
I definitely won't be checking in to read the usual spiel by the usual suspects.
The day holds extra heavy significance and mourning in light of what i've just written.
And for those that want to jump in and write their reply....at least read the article first and do some reflection on what was expressed.
We all know who's licking his lips for his favourite day of the year. I hope you lot give him hell.

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 7:59pm

#freebrutus.
FFS one of the best posters on here. And a weapon.
Can't think of a better gesture on this morbid day than to free the great man and let him speak again.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 9:17pm

?si=XdtuBtv-_8oPfewO
Or on SBS on demand.
?si=KGjZjbQ6CVpkdwB7
Or on SBS on demand

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 9:32pm

Thanks @seeds. I'm going to watch these tomorrow. Poignant.
Bloody hell you've gottten under my skin in the past, but i suspect it's mostly because we're so similar.
Big aloha. Thankyou so much for sharing legend.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 9:44pm

Maybe so!
Servant or Slave… the bit about how their unpaid labour inadvertently helped fund the system that virtually enslaved them. Bloody hell!
You’ll see what I mean.

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 10:39pm

Thanks @seeds. All the best mate.

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 10:43pm

#freebrutus
Come on swellnet. Do the right thing.
Over and out.
Love yas! :-)

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 10:49pm

All the best in your future endeavours Southern Paul. Yeeeew

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 10:59pm

:-) Thanks Seeds. And to you and all the bloody legends i've had the pleasure of chatting with on here.
Good humans. Big love.

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 11:01pm

#alwayswasalwayswillbeaboriginalland

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 11:41pm

Don't get me started on New Norcia, burn the whole place down would be a good start.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 11:58pm

Any personal history Seaslug?
If so, I would like to hear.
If you could that is.

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Friday, 26 Jan 2024 at 1:08pm
southernraw wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

And more good news from the Voice debacle

"Anthony Albanese's approval dips among one group of Aussies as Peter Dutton gains ground"

Blue-collar workers are losing faith with the Albanese government, as support for the Coalition gains ground among tradies and Australians with TAFE educations.

The latest poll conducted by RedBridge has found Labor's vote has dropped four per cent since August, with support among working-class Aussies noticeably slipping.

The results of the poll cast light on the possibility that the country's rejection of the Voice to Parliament might damage Labor's vote at the next election."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12711173/Anthony-Albaneses-supp...

"and more good news.."
What an evil cunt you are.
This is your read on something that affects generations of humans that have sufferered trauma on their own lands and have copped yet another slap down.
Your karma is set in stone. You probably should go back to Indonesia....your island is no sanctuary from your evil ways.
Cuntwana. Rot in hell.

Wow

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 26 Jan 2024 at 1:31pm
southernraw wrote:

#freebrutus
Come on swellnet. Do the right thing.
Over and out.
Love yas! :-)

Brutus is Banned but Sharkman is Not.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Friday, 26 Jan 2024 at 2:33pm

Since we have recently had the Voice debate , I think it's right the debate continues and believe today is NOT the right day to celebrate Australia Day .

Until the date changes , I will celebrate , today .

The First Fleet arrived to stake Englands claim on our East Coast ( similar to the US but more convicts ) .

Not to start Australia !

Hundreds of Tall Ships had visited and left Australia , in the 2 centuries before they arrived .

Since the Ref , I have read both sides ( including SR recent piece ) of the debate , about Australia Day .

The main objection seems to be finding an agreeable date to Celebrate our Country .

When did Australia become Australia ?

Some look at Parliament .

Not me .

Australia became a Nation , IMHO , when Gen John Monash lead into battle , Australian and New Zealanders , at Le Hamel , Amiens in 1918 .

Changed the direction of WW1 and showed the World what OUR country stood for .

Got all the soldiers home , and then came home and started Nation Building .

Our FNP stood shoulder to shoulder with their mates , that day .

Trumpy will hate it ( so I love it more ) as it is the 4th of July .

Let's start changing some things .

Perhaps others can suggest a more appropriate date ?

A Salty Dog's picture
A Salty Dog's picture
A Salty Dog Friday, 26 Jan 2024 at 3:44pm
Pop Down wrote:

Since we have recently had the Voice debate , I think it's right the debate continues and believe today is NOT the right day to celebrate Australia Day .

Until the date changes , I will celebrate , today .

The First Fleet arrived to stake Englands claim on our East Coast ( similar to the US but more convicts ) .

Not to start Australia !

Hundreds of Tall Ships had visited and left Australia , in the 2 centuries before they arrived .

Since the Ref , I have read both sides ( including SR recent piece ) of the debate , about Australia Day .

The main objection seems to be finding an agreeable date to Celebrate our Country .

When did Australia become Australia ?

Some look at Parliament .

Not me .

Australia became a Nation , IMHO , when Gen John Monash lead into battle , Australian and New Zealanders , at Le Hamel , Amiens in 1918 .

Changed the direction of WW1 and showed the World what OUR country stood for .

Got all the soldiers home , and then came home and started Nation Building .

Our FNP stood shoulder to shoulder with their mates , that day .

Trumpy will hate it ( so I love it more ) as it is the 4th of July .

Let's start changing some things .

Perhaps others can suggest a more appropriate date ?

HI Pop

Well we can't even get the date right. The First Fleet landed at Botany Bay on the 18th January and moved to Sydney Cove on 26th January.

The most appropriate date would be the date we become a Republic with our own Head Of State. I'm not holding out any hope that will happen soon: even Denmark has an Australian HOS before Australia.

Side note: Monash was also in command of the US Military Forces in WW1. The yanks were poorly trained and poorly equipped and learnt much from Monash. History shows they never found themselves in that situation ever again!

Just for the record both grandfathers served in France, Fromelles, Villers Brettoneaux, Infantry and Field Ambulance (that was a great job!!) Both returned home very changed men. Great Uncle was 14th Battalion D Company (Jacka's Mob), killed at Gallipoli.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Friday, 26 Jan 2024 at 4:52pm

Salty

Your family has sacrificed a lot to help build Australia , thank u .

The Ref for an Australian Head of State was another Ref that I wanted to say Yes to but said no .

Again, I wanted detail to decide upon .

A New date for Australia Day doesn't require a Ref !

New names for places don't either .

This debate needs to keep momentum .

Making continuous , sensible changes will push reconciliation , I hope .

I would love to give the boot to Charlie ( still haven't heard a sensible ( non elected ) solution ) but that does require a Ref .

U know a lot about Sir John Monash .

I am going to some more research on this great Australian :)

A Salty Dog's picture
A Salty Dog's picture
A Salty Dog Friday, 26 Jan 2024 at 6:06pm
Pop Down wrote:

Salty

Your family has sacrificed a lot to help build Australia , thank u .

The Ref for an Australian Head of State was another Ref that I wanted to say Yes to but said no .

Again, I wanted detail to decide upon .

A New date for Australia Day doesn't require a Ref !

New names for places don't either .

This debate needs to keep momentum .

Making continuous , sensible changes will push reconciliation , I hope .

I would love to give the boot to Charlie ( still haven't heard a sensible ( non elected ) solution ) but that does require a Ref .

U know a lot about Sir John Monash .

I am going to some more research on this great Australian :)

Hi Pops,

We visited Gallipoli and we’ve twice been to France to visit the sites on the Western Front.

It should be a part of everyone’s learning experience. The tour of Gallipoli was moving to say the least and the Turkish Guides were exceptional.

On the visit to Fromelles we were standing at the “Don’t Forget Me Cobber” statue of Simon Fraser, (look him up) when a man approached and addressed us in French. I replied (poorly!) that I did not speak French and he asked in English if we were British. I said no, Australian: he smiled and we talked for quite some time!

The land there is farmed and soldiers remains are still uncovered, in fact we found some bones near the fence which had been uncovered: our guide (from Ballarat, believe it or not!!!) took them and we reburied them in an area unlikely to be disturbed. Live ordnance is still being uncovered as well.

We also stayed in Amiens just after Anzac Day 2015. Aussie flags everywhere and we were made more than welcome. We went on a tour of many sites there, conducted by a French lady who had the utmost respect for Aussie soldiers. The memorial at Villers Bretonneaux is a must.

Another tour of the Northern Battlefields into Belgium and Ypres was extremely worthwhile as well.

Cheers!

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 26 Jan 2024 at 6:15pm

Lovely post salty

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 26 Jan 2024 at 6:51pm

@saltydog , really enjoying your posts on this and the other threads. It’s great to read some truth for a change . Please keep it up .

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Friday, 26 Jan 2024 at 7:08pm

Great post Salty .

Hallowed ground .

Visited some memorials around Epernay , France .

Very moving and was amazed when a Big French guy shouted us a glass of bubbly for what your relatives did to save France . Gosh , U must have been welcomed like a brother .

Very grateful that both the Turkish and French people look after our fallen so well .

U have visited spots that must be , almost , unreal .

Not many people will experience what U have .

Great that U are willing to share them .

Quite special , imho .

Thanks for Simon and other stuff 2 .

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Friday, 26 Jan 2024 at 7:09pm

Thanks Salty Dog that was great.

My wife and I visited the Somme battlefields and memorials to the fallen about 20 years ago. I recall the beautifully maintained graveyards dotted throughout the countryside but my overarching memory is of the industrial scale destruction of human beings. We both found it so profoundly disturbing that we only stayed one night in Albert.

The context for my visit to the Somme was my great grandfathers involvement. He was on a reconnaissance in No Mans Land on the third day of the Battle of the Somme. He hunkered down in a shell hole with 2 mates, shell lands and kills his mates, he is seriously wounded. Manages to crawl back the half mile to the front line. When taken to the aid station/hospital is triaged and told by the army surgeon he would not survived. But by some miracle he did survive. Later got dishonourably discharged for insubordination (I'm sure among other indiscretions left untold in family histories) and became an avowed communist till the day he died.

Lest we forget.

A Salty Dog's picture
A Salty Dog's picture
A Salty Dog Friday, 26 Jan 2024 at 8:58pm

To GS, Supfreak, Pop, San Guine

Thank you all for your kind words.

Pop, the French do make you feel part of the family!!

The cemetaries and memorials are all beautifully maintained even those of fallen German servicemen. And the French are certainly appreciative of the efforts of Australian Servicemen. I can recall one roadside café near Pozieres which had a large room dedicated to Aussie servicemen, and again we were made more that welcome.

San Guine, ordinary people like your great grandfather, thrust into extraordinary circumstances can display a strength and courage I could only dream of. He also sounds like a bit of a larrikin!! And yes, the scale of destruction is astounding: heavy artillery and the machine gun in particular extremely efficient. During our visit to Fromelles we were stopped by an elderly man who motioned us to stay. He returned a short time later with a photo album of the village from WW1 and shortly after, showing the destruction wrought. He didn’t speak English and we didn’t speak French but we still managed to communicate as he went through the album pointing out various landmarks and buildings. This went on for an hour, then he smiled and returned to his home.

The National Archive has Service Records available to view, have you been able to access any of those?

On my great uncle’s record is an account of his death at Gallipoli. He must have been a brave man as were all the others involved in those conflicts. I also noted some of my family contracted a “social disease” or two during their service!!! Maybe there are some things we don’t need to know!!

Cheers!

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Saturday, 27 Jan 2024 at 9:57am

Australia responded immediately , when Europe were being beaten up in both WW1 & 2 .

The Americans at the time , had a different view , we don't involved in Others fights .

In both World Wars , it took them 2 long 2 get involved imho .

They had to make up an excuse , to fight !

We don't need 1 .

A profound difference to the French and others .

Our people will jump straight in and help someone in need , even if on the other side of the world .

We just , go for it .

The French love our Aussie Spirit and I can understand why !

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 27 Jan 2024 at 11:24am

Battle of Milne Bay - the turning of the tide, when we were directly threatened. Also the RAAF's finest hour.
25 August - 7 September 1942.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Saturday, 27 Jan 2024 at 2:38pm

Hey VJ

Guessing U know a VC was awarded at Milne Bay .

Just read the name and smiled , John French .

Told his men to take cover , and then went and took out three Japanese Machine Gun positions .

Died in front of the third .

A Frenchy :)

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 27 Jan 2024 at 5:37pm

Yes, my great uncle was there, as was my former neighbour.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Sunday, 28 Jan 2024 at 9:34am
southernraw wrote:

#alwayswasalwayswillbeaboriginalland

@SouthernRaw ✅.AW

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Sunday, 4 Feb 2024 at 8:13pm

I have Always found it difficult 2 understand the term " always was , always will be Aboriginal Land " .

There own Dreamtime Stories say The Rainbow Serpent was here before them .

What does , Always and Land , mean in this context ?

Sounds a bit like ownership 2 , and not why not other FNP ?

RIP LO !

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Tuesday, 13 Feb 2024 at 12:28pm

Anniversary for national sorry day. From an instagram post who's source i'll keep anonymous....
"On this day in 2008, former Prime Minister Kevin Rudd apologised on behalf of the nation for past laws, policies and practices that have impacted upon Australia’s First Nations Peoples, particularly members of the Stolen Generations.
I remember this day, I was 16 and my family and I were watching it on a tv in a basketball court with a whole bunch of other people, we were all crying, happy and sad tears. I couldn’t believe it was being acknowledged."
Now imagine how this person and their family felt when Australia voted NO against them last year.

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Wednesday, 14 Feb 2024 at 8:41am

Rudd was looking for votes, just like albos vote last year. Didn't work.
The people said no, never saw anything in the media yesterday about sorry day.
Time to move on and all live together in harmony. We are all Australian.

A Salty Dog's picture
A Salty Dog's picture
A Salty Dog Wednesday, 14 Feb 2024 at 10:04am
ashsam wrote:

Rudd was looking for votes, just like albos vote last year. Didn't work.
The people said no, never saw anything in the media yesterday about sorry day.
Time to move on and all live together in harmony. We are all Australian.

Any paid up, card carrying LNP cynic would call Rudd’s apology a vote catching exercise. But I’ll give him credit for doing something no LNP hack ever had the courage to do.

As for Albo and the referendum, it appears you swallowed the LNP bullshit. I’ll state some facts again: “The Voice” was produced under a LNP Government by a LP Senator who just happened to be Indigenous. Albo and the ALP supported it and committed to hold a referendum. “Labor’s Racist Voice” was just a label created by the LNP who never had any intention whatsoever of supporting what the FNP had requested. Ask Ken Wyatt his opinion.

Would you have preferred Albo to cancel the referendum: and then you could accuse him of breaking a promise or call him a liar. That would be the typical LNP response.

Let’s sweep it under the rug and move on, we are all Australian: another typical LNP approach, pretend it never happened.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 14 Feb 2024 at 10:34am

I always figured that part of us "all being Australians" would be to offer a helping hand to those who need it.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 14 Feb 2024 at 10:55am
AndyM wrote:

I always figured that part of us "all being Australians" would be to offer a helping hand to those who need it.

AndyM. Plus 1 mate. Ignore the selfish amongst us.

All they (FNP) wanted was a ‘Voice’ it’s not divisive, just a recognition that they exist, essentially they have been obliterated from day dot.

We are viewed by international outsiders as being selfish and shameless, hard to argue with that from where I’m looking.
Time to grow up I reckon. Just my opinion.AW

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 14 Feb 2024 at 11:40am

Yeah it’s incredibly disappointing that the No campaign successfully smothered the basic reason for the referendum being held.
Also, their key claim of “divisiveness” completely ignored the fact that the existing division was exactly what was trying to be addressed.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Wednesday, 14 Feb 2024 at 12:00pm

nah, AW & AndyM, we ducked a BIG one there.

Imagine, FNPs having a voice to parliament that they didn't even want, leading to a divided nation and secret treaty ambitions and enshrining race into constitution and opportunism and corruption and mishandling of their own issues and not even solving anything and they have more of a voice than anyone else anyway and why not other racial groups and huge taxpayer financial burdens and making us ashamed and labor using it to get elected again and not letting us know the secret voice pages and who would be representing the FNPs and it's not even representative cos there are hundreds of language groups and who even are FNPs and what a backward step.

Plus, everyone promised they'd take an continued interest in social issues that affect FNPs after the referendum, cos they really believe in solving social inequity. And they really have, it is still front page news, no-voters still care just as deeply about it all.

I don't think you guys understood it at all. Must be uneducated. We ducked a BIG one there.

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Wednesday, 14 Feb 2024 at 2:03pm

Happy hour in WA soon. ^ Waiting for blue diamond/southern raw and his foul mouth abuse in 1 2 3

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Wednesday, 14 Feb 2024 at 2:09pm
ashsam wrote:

Happy hour in WA soon. ^ Waiting for blue diamond/southern raw and his foul mouth abuse in 1 2 3

haha cool. I have a stalker.
You're a Dweeb. Is that foul enough for you.