All Things Religion Thread

Balance's picture
Balance started the topic in Sunday, 29 Mar 2020 at 2:13pm

Here you go optimist

Not sure my motivation...my instinctive need to stick up for the underdog...my secret desire to be one day honoured rightfully with the role of Forum moderator (expecting a call any day)...

But anyway I couldn't help but read your troubles on another thread...unfortunately I found myself siding with everyone's posts...other than your own...except for the part where you were told you can't post here!

So I put my low IQ mind to coming up with a solution that suits all...and here it is...a safe place if you like

You can post anything you like about your beliefs...and no one has to read it unless they want! Easy peasy...

maybe you could even get Jesus, fat Buddha, Mohammed, and friends to converse in adult conversation here

Solving the world problems, one at a time...call it taking a shovel as a way of moving that mountain

All the best...brother

PS...I actually was born again once, but I grew up, and grew a brain of my own...and realised it was all a load of shit!

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Wednesday, 10 Apr 2024 at 7:18pm

Haha gashcam ;)
And you umm keep tuning in to a screen as a good and proper no one.

- "He wailed among us"

Aaaaaaaahhhhh ;)

https://m.

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Wednesday, 10 Apr 2024 at 7:31pm

Get some mental health help belly fat
;)

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Wednesday, 10 Apr 2024 at 7:42pm

El flopti u try and insist that because you have shared so called personal experiences then that must validate your insane ramblings.

- the theories like these special words of yours below (circa page 9) are not associated or applicable to any personal experience:

"A rough outline but some food for thought.
The first beast is a man empowered by Satan ( from the abyss)
The second empowered by the Vatican . The Vatican (Vaticaanus) means Divining Serpent (from the earth)
The symbols of Satan are the Dragon and the Serpent.
The image of the beast is probably a Quantum computer with A.I. think Skynet. It is given life and also speaks ...A.I. again. and Siri on steroids."

^^^All theoretical, speculative and imagined ;)
- pls heed recommendation from gashcam above ;);)

Your 'personal experience' is warped by superstition, bigotry and fake virtue. Add in some religiously inspired fantasy end of days fanatical fortune telling wizardry and you're cooking on high ;);)

The flopti sermons from the mount are as convincing and as credible as this blokes fantastic effort
- go forth flopti bantu ;)

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 10 Apr 2024 at 7:38pm

Listened to a podcast today about the Druze a religion and people (ethnoreligious group) is an off shoot of Islam. (but broke away about 1,000 years ago) and is very different.

Heres a taster of them.

"Most Druze religious practices are kept secret.[29] The Druze do not permit outsiders to convert to their religion. Marriage outside the Druze faith is rare and strongly discouraged.

The Epistles of Wisdom is the foundational and central text of the Druze faith.[30] The Druze faith originated in Isma'ilism (a branch of Shia Islam),[31] and was influenced by Christianity,[32][33] Gnosticism, Neoplatonism,[32][33] Zoroastrianism,[34][35] Gandharan Buddhism, Manichaeism[36][37] Pythagoreanism,[38][39] and other philosophies and beliefs, creating a distinct and secretive theology based on an esoteric interpretation of scripture, which emphasizes the role of the mind and truthfulness.[20][39] Druze believe in theophany and reincarnation.[40]

The Druze believe that at the end of the cycle of rebirth, which is achieved through successive reincarnations, the soul is united with the Cosmic Mind (al-ʻaql al-kullī).[41]

The Druze have a special reverence for Shuaib, who they believe is the same person as the biblical Jethro.[42] The Druze believe that Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus, Muhammad, and the Isma'ili Imam Muhammad ibn Isma'il were prophets.[43] Druze tradition also honors and reveres Salman the Persian,[44] al-Khidr (whom they identify as Elijah, reborn as John the Baptist and Saint George),[45] Job, Luke the Evangelist, and others as "mentors" and "prophets".[46]

Duration: 1 minute and 32 seconds.1:32
Video clips from the archive of Israel Channel 2 Israeli News Company showing Israeli Druze men in traditional clothing. The flags shown are Druze flags.
Even though the faith originally developed out of Isma'ilism, the Druze are not Muslims.[47][48] The Druze faith is one of the major religious groups in the Levant, with between 800,000 and a million adherents. They are found primarily in Lebanon, Syria, and Israel, with small communities in Jordan. They make up 5.5% of the population of Lebanon, 3% of Syria and 1.6% of Israel. The oldest and most densely-populated Druze communities exist in Mount Lebanon and in the south of Syria around Jabal al-Druze (literally the "Mountain of the Druze").[49]

The Druze community played a critically important role in shaping the history of the Levant, where it continues to play a significant political role.[50] As a religious minority in every country in which they are found, they have frequently experienced persecution by different Muslim regimes, including contemporary Islamic extremism.[51][52][53]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druze#

There is only about 1,000,000 of them all live in Syria, Lebanon, Jordan & Israel (150,000)

But the ones in Israel are very unique as their identity as Israeli's is just as important to them, so much so when the government exempted them like other arabs from national service in the IDF, they rejected the idea and campaigned to also have compulsory national service and today they often work themselves up to some of the highest positions possible.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Wednesday, 10 Apr 2024 at 7:40pm

@JF No don’t do it Booby Flaps. I find your clips very funny. Stuff I’d never see otherwise.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Wednesday, 10 Apr 2024 at 7:45pm

;);)

&pp=ygUSbWlnaHR5IGJvb3NoIGplc3Vz

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Wednesday, 10 Apr 2024 at 7:52pm

Haha, sorry to say I’ve seen that one. Awesome show as you well know!!!

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Wednesday, 10 Apr 2024 at 9:06pm

Belly fat gotta be in a asylum
;)

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Wednesday, 10 Apr 2024 at 9:18pm

- haha ;)

Of course gashy, it's the asylum of believing dead people come back alive thru divine intervention after living a life of waterwalking and fish multiplication, along with being divinely impregnated into a virgin lady to start off the whole shebang. Actually according to ancient donkeys that is precisely where 'holy shebang' first banged, after the big bang ;)

^ It's all fully legit, including the imaginary planet heaven ;)
- carry on organic goon boy haha

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Wednesday, 10 Apr 2024 at 9:22pm

Nut job

;)

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Wednesday, 10 Apr 2024 at 9:34pm

- ummmmmm, no selective nuttery when its flopti food for thought ;);)

The second empowered by the Vatican . The Vatican (Vaticaanus) means Divining Serpent (from the earth)
The image of the beast is probably a Quantum computer with A.I. think Skynet. It is given life and also speaks ...A.I. again. and Siri on steroids."

- ^^^ deez nuts u be eating ;)

You're dickriding flopti's merry go round and wanna try throw the nutter card out there haha
- carry on gashy, and careful of the first beast and ummm the second too

They're on the merry go round near flopti's divining serpent
- get up, get on up ;)

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 11 Apr 2024 at 3:58am
goofyfoot wrote:

Pop is out here speaking in tongues every damn day

3rd from the right, is that you pops?

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Thursday, 11 Apr 2024 at 5:43am

Hey Smiley

Nearly right , but next one a bit Left with the tongue in the Cheek .

A Tongue Choir is different ( bit boring ) but , not my Taste .

If Only their Tongues could Talk , about the Places they have been , the things they have seen and the things they have done .

I would like 2 see that , not quite a miracle though .

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Thursday, 11 Apr 2024 at 6:56am

If I was still in Mullumbimby ( Mullumgrad ) , I would be in a real Choir , maybe , if I could sing .

I always liked Dusty Martin , an Esky full of beer , an Esky with Dust , so I love bloody love , the Dustyesky's .

Classic Russian Folk songs , from guys who don't speak a fn word of Russian , singing in Russian but NOT in Russia .

Just tickles my tongue and makes it Wiggle 2 the music .

Don't knock it , till U try it imho .

Edit

Base 6 , 2 an old blokes rescue , again !

Thanks mate :)

Skoll !

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Thursday, 11 Apr 2024 at 6:52am

now yer talkin PoppaD!

here's some kindred cornish crusties

(doc martin's house in the top left corner)

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Thursday, 11 Apr 2024 at 7:48am
Jelly Flater wrote:

- ummmmmm, no selective nuttery when its flopti food for thought ;);)

- ^^^ deez nuts u be eating ;)

You're dickriding flopti's merry go round and wanna try throw the nutter card out there haha
- carry on gashy, and careful of the first beast and ummm the second too

They're on the merry go round near flopti's divining serpent
- get up, get on up ;)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3tSPjVPmSIY

you must be on meth then

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Thursday, 11 Apr 2024 at 8:03am

Haha, nice try gashy ;)
- that organic goon is doing wonders for u.

Keep clutching at straws ;);)
- maybe stop trying to question anyone else's sanity, this below seems legit tho hahaha

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Thursday, 11 Apr 2024 at 8:16am

Did someone say asylum story time ;)

- it's from the planetary floptiverse of heavenly factual fiction

Go gashy, get up and get on up to planet heaven.
- pack the nut butter of make belief and fantasy assumption haha

It's a personal experience ;);)

- "I do know that it is a physical place with buildings plants trees water etc etc. and a city with 12 gates. A physical city etc belongs somewhere physical and with all the universe out there and all those planets I'm making the assumption its one of them and somewhere in the far reaches of the North. I also know that another race already resides there (who we call the angels). and they can interact with us but not us knowingly with them. I have at least once but that's another story."

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Thursday, 11 Apr 2024 at 8:43am

If the Bible was written by a group of Surfers , the Symbols of Satan and Saturn , would have been Sharks and Dropinsky's , 4 sure .

I am not speaketh with Forked Tongueth , eithereth .

I am going 2 Druk-yul in late May ffs !

It's the Year of the Dragon , so I am not fn scared of a little Himalayan Thunder Dragon , no fn way !

edit

Am going 2 buy some bloody Mountain Climbing boots today .

Just decided 2 get the Magma Fire proof pair , just in case as going to Hawaii 2 .

They are really light 2 , in case I have 2 runaway , from something , like a snake , Yeti or a Himalayan Pinky Cat ( no pussy , cats up there ) .

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Thursday, 11 Apr 2024 at 10:32am

Thy pop down hiketh like a gazelle (all terrain, durable and stylish)
- and then thou tongue popped up and went forth with thine boots

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/omHQVCCaL4U

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Thursday, 11 Apr 2024 at 12:07pm

lol Jelly Flater

As I am a Goose , I did check the link and it was a Wild Gooses Chase .

The Guy looked really fit , so the boots obviously , work 4 him .

They sure do look comfy and light , 2 .

Unfortunately the fn Colour doesn't match with ANY of My H & H Outfits , I have just panned .

My outfits aren't set in stone yet(i) .

Something Cool , Works extremely well in Contrasting weather conditions of an Extreme Variety , but a ONE Pop , theme .

Any considered suggestions , are always welcome and will B considered !

I shouldn't need 2 say it , as we are talking about International Dress Codes , but please try 2 B Considerate !

Am sick of having 2 Dressing Down 2 and not Scottish .

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 11 Apr 2024 at 1:00pm

IMG-5603

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 11 Apr 2024 at 1:14pm
Pop Down wrote:

lol Jelly Flater

As I am a Goose , I did check the link and it was a Wild Gooses Chase .

The Guy looked really fit , so the boots obviously , work 4 him .

They sure do look comfy and light , 2 .

Unfortunately the fn Colour doesn't match with ANY of My H & H Outfits , I have just panned .

My outfits aren't set in stone yet(i) .

Something Cool , Works extremely well in Contrasting weather conditions of an Extreme Variety , but a ONE Pop , theme .

Any considered suggestions , are always welcome and will B considered !

I shouldn't need 2 say it , as we are talking about International Dress Codes , but please try 2 B Considerate !

Am sick of having 2 Dressing Down 2 and not Scottish .

Pop, i need a lay down after deciphering your posts.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 11 Apr 2024 at 3:00pm
seeds wrote:

IMG-5603

Pops is more Eric Olthwaite than Bushtucker Boy

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 11 Apr 2024 at 3:06pm

Double Dutch is a fictional language that is known for sounding bizarre and incomprehensible to anyone who does not understand its rules or logic. It originated from the concept of spoken Dutch that is twisted around or malformed and is popular among children and adults who want to speak a secret language to each other. With enough practice and patience, you can learn to speak Double Dutch and use it as your next party trick or as a way to communicate with other speakers of this fictional language.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Thursday, 11 Apr 2024 at 3:27pm

^ love that ripping yarns ep @Guy

seeds wrote:

IMG-5603

why would PoppaD dress like this @seeds? Isn't this the selfie @gsco posted, looking for caroline, richard and groucho?

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Thursday, 11 Apr 2024 at 3:46pm

Yes Udo , a Sherlock like U , gets all the riddles .

I also remember an Old song by a mate of a Real Rotten Jonny .

Double Dutch is also a Skipping thingy , according to Malcolm McLaren , that kids excel at .

No Madam Butterflies or Buffalo Girls around Soweto , though .

I don't want to cope with or copy a Irwin Outfit .

Hey base 6

Double Dutch involves 2 long skipping ropes , twirling in fn opposite directions .

It is Perfect 4 guys like me , to get tangled Up in , or out , but never get hung Up about much , nearly !

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Thursday, 11 Apr 2024 at 3:34pm

Pop is sim.p.ly, simply awf'ly good. at dou-ble dutch! dou-ble dutch!

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Friday, 12 Apr 2024 at 7:52am

I think many of us would be interested in Jellyguys Marxist Atheist views on what happens after you die…
…...are we just meat that’s gone or is there something else.
Also, the Marxist atheist views on life outside of our own planet…other life forms etc….the universe is a big place…..and please just YOUR views not someone else’s you tube garbage.
I think we all deserve to hear this as even though you are a Marxist and an atheist, you are the biggest poster on a religion thread and highly critical of anything or any one else’s ideas…..
Looking forward to your response.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Friday, 12 Apr 2024 at 8:19am
Optimist wrote:

I think many of us would be interested in Jellyguys Marxist Atheist views on what happens after you die…
Also, the Marxist atheist views on life outside of our own planet…other life forms etc….the universe is a big place…..and please just YOUR views not someone else’s you tube garbage.
I think we all deserve to hear this as even though you are a Marxist and an atheist, you are the biggest poster on a religion thread and highly critical of anything or any one else’s ideas…..

This is the entire reason religion was made up.
“What happens after you die”

As we evolved, we began to love, then mourn. We wanted to believe that we will see our loved ones again someday.

Now religion kills, causes wars and makes people look like brain washed morons.

And we still don’t know what happens when we die.

But keep donating money please. Otherwise you won’t see your loved ones again

Kook-Man2001's picture
Kook-Man2001's picture
Kook-Man2001 Friday, 12 Apr 2024 at 10:06am

"This is the tragedy: Consciousness has forced us into the paradoxical position of striving to be unselfconscious of what we are—hunks of spoiling flesh on disintegrating bones."
Ligotti, The Conspiracy Against The Human race, p. 11

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Friday, 12 Apr 2024 at 10:32am
burleigh wrote:
Optimist wrote:

This is the entire reason religion was made up.
“What happens after you die”

As we evolved, we began to love, then mourn. We wanted to believe that we will see our loved ones again someday.

Now religion kills, causes wars and makes people look like brain washed morons.

And we still don’t know what happens when we die.

But keep donating money please. Otherwise you won’t see your loved ones again

Heaven is a place where nothing ever happens.

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Friday, 12 Apr 2024 at 11:02am

Here's one for belly fat ;)

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Friday, 12 Apr 2024 at 11:53am

Ha Ha …nice…cheered me up after a crappy surf.

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Friday, 12 Apr 2024 at 12:20pm

Here's another one.

Kook-Man2001's picture
Kook-Man2001's picture
Kook-Man2001 Friday, 12 Apr 2024 at 12:46pm

Why settle for a single track when you can have an entire band?!?!

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Friday, 12 Apr 2024 at 1:27pm

I see discussion is as dead as some beliefs or lack of them.
You guys enjoy your you tube …..seeing as your too frightened to contemplate your own inevitable futures…..or even discuss the toplic.
Brutus is recovering well by the way, I miss his posts as he is a thinker and a searcher….those who seek find.
Like me he’s a bit rough around the edges but has a go and researches what’s important.
Jelly has mocked me for about 4 years but contributed not a single thing to the topic or discussion. He also is the biggest poster on a subject he hates.
As we speed around the sun at 100,000 klms per hour in perfect design symmetry,
You need to think about big things that affect your world and your generations to follow you….
Look up and wonder and be inspired by the things around you and feel…..feel the spiritual world which is as real as the physical but in anti matter.
When you die your spirit leaves your flesh……what happens next is ………..

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 12 Apr 2024 at 1:40pm

Yeah this thread has become pretty much about nothing and nothing at all to do with religion, which is kind of sad as even a non believer the historical aspects of all religion's is really interesting.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 12 Apr 2024 at 1:51pm

“…. Jelly has mocked me for about 4 years but contributed not a single thing to the topic or discussion.…”

Buddhism teaches you to welcome what makes you uncomfortable … search for your inner Buddha rather than that external god you keep banging on about Opti

Kook-Man2001's picture
Kook-Man2001's picture
Kook-Man2001 Friday, 12 Apr 2024 at 2:19pm
Optimist wrote:

You guys enjoy your you tube …..seeing as your too frightened to contemplate your own inevitable futures…..or even discuss the toplic.
Brutus is recovering well by the way, I miss his posts as he is a thinker and a searcher….those who seek find.
Like me he’s a bit rough around the edges but has a go and researches what’s important.
Jelly has mocked me for about 4 years but contributed not a single thing to the topic or discussion. He also is the biggest poster on a subject he hates.
You need to think about big things that affect your world and your generations to follow you….
Look up and wonder and be inspired by the things around you and feel…..feel the spiritual world which is as real as the physical but in anti matter.

Here is what I believe:

"When you die your spirit leaves your flesh……what happens next is ……….." NOTHING! You're dead. We don't have a spirit, there is no such thing. We like to think there is more to it in order to feel better about what you rightly point out is the slow inevitable march towards our expiry date.

There is no meaning to life, you have no higher purpose, there is nothing significant about your existence (and I mean the collective you/your, not singling out Opti) and once you're dead you will be lucky if anyone remembers you 50 years later. 100 years later? Forget it, at best you're a photo on a wall.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Friday, 12 Apr 2024 at 2:19pm
Optimist wrote:

Seeming as we’re mammals, and we slaughter million of other mammals each day, wherever we go is going to be fucking crowded.

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Friday, 12 Apr 2024 at 2:54pm

"When you die your spirit leaves your flesh……what happens next is ……….."

Nobody can truly know and strangely enough I'm happy not to.

I admit to ignorance - that's not an admission of stupidity (you can draw your own conclusions there), but it's impossible to know everything about everything. My ignorance is born from the fact that I don't know what I don't know and I'll be forever considering options - but I'm not going to burst a vessel if I can't quote passages from the Christian bible or the Koran.

I'm happy to add my 2 cents, but before I do, allow me some preamble. I was brought up mostly on Christian values but not a strictly religious family. My father was very principled and strong on treating people with respect and dignity. Firm handshakes, meeting peoples eyes and good manners always matter.

He died about 3 years ago. (By coincidence it's his birthday tomorrow). He kept a cancer diagnosis from our family - he did not want to burden us with his illness (mum died around 14 years ago). When he was really sick, he rang from the hospital bed and gave us the news. He lasted 6 weeks. Some of the most important weeks of my life - bedside chats will remain with me forever (whatever forever means). He maintained good humour and dignity throughout - he accepted his fate. He did not believe he would be reunited with mum. He did not believe in heaven. He also introduced me to Stoicism.

I find it incredible to believe that out of 4000 religions in the world, Christians - roughly 30% believe they have the monopoly on the 'truth.' (I googled the numbers - and don't get me started on truth - whatever that means).

I know a little about a few religions - from Japanese Shintoism, Aztec sun worship and their bloody sacrifices; Buddhism etc... etc... Of course Christianity runs deep - but that doesn't mean I blindly accept that it's the way (the only way?) to get to heaven - whatever that is. I prefer to accept the moral values and codes of conduct espoused by a lot of religions and try to live my life by picking and choosing the bits I align with.

As cheesy as it sounds, Love beats Hate. Good trumps evil. Niceness beats nastiness. Will that get me to heaven....I don't know and I don't really care. For now, life is now. Not some imagined forever future.

Opti - we are all influenced by what we see, read, hear or experience. Your belief's are yours and that's fine, but you would have to admit that at some point in your journey you've had influences pointing you in that direction. - (probably not you tube). I have spoken to many Christians that just "know" - their faith is within them / they have a 'relationship' with God. But then they try to intellectualise / spread the news with sermons (or posts on Swellnet). My logic tells me that Christianity is not the one answer - my heart agrees.

You tube is not the best way to make a point, I only post these to lighten a mood and because I'm borderline idiot. Please don't think I'm trying to undermine you. I find most of the posts here enlightening (whatever that means).

For those interested, here's a quote from a website about Stoics.

https://thebeautyinbeinginsignificant.com/stoics-believe-heaven/

For the Stoics, reaching the state of “heaven” was not simply a matter of living a good life or following a set of moral principles. Rather, it was a holistic process that involved a deep understanding of the interconnectedness of all things and the ability to live in harmony with the natural world.

By living in accordance with nature and cultivating virtues such as wisdom, courage, justice, and self-control, the Stoics believed that one could achieve a sense of inner peace and tranquillity that transcended the struggles and challenges of everyday life.

In this sense, the Stoic concept of heaven can be seen as a way of living that is grounded in practical wisdom and moral excellence, rather than a supernatural or otherworldly realm.

.....................whatever that means.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Friday, 12 Apr 2024 at 3:15pm

Great post….nice discussion…cheers.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 12 Apr 2024 at 3:40pm

@icandig

Good post but about this bit

"I find it incredible to believe that out of 4000 religions in the world, Christians - roughly 30% believe they have the monopoly on the 'truth.' (I googled the numbers - and don't get me started on truth - whatever that means)."

That isn't unique to Christianity most religion's think they have the monopoly on the truth even denominations within those religion's think they are correct.

Religion is pretty much pointless if you dont think yours is the right and only one, otherwise whats the point?

For instance if you think they all get you to heaven or whatever, why not just pick the one thats easy where you do jack shit or some free love cult.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 12 Apr 2024 at 4:02pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

@icandig

"I find it incredible to believe that out of 4000 religions in the world, Christians - roughly 30% believe they have the monopoly on the 'truth.' (I googled the numbers - and don't get me started on truth - whatever that means)."

That isn't unique to Christianity most religion's think they have the monopoly on the truth even denominations within those religion's think they are correct.

Religion is pretty much pointless if you dont think yours is the right and only one, otherwise whats the point?

For instance if you think they all get you to heaven or whatever, why not just pick the one thats easy where you do jack shit or some free love cult.

See I think you’re totally wrong here Info. The vast majority of moderate people of religious belief who quietly go about daily and spiritual lives would not think those Christians or Muslims or Buddhists etc know jackshit about the real god, they would care more about the common ground and shared values of other religions with their own beliefs. It’s only the religious extremists who adopt this my god all good your god not good posturing and this is why I have a real belly laugh when people here say BS like “30% of the world are Christian and they think this or that ….” It’s Bullshit

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Friday, 12 Apr 2024 at 4:48pm

@indo

"That isn't unique to Christianity most religion's think they have the monopoly on the truth even denominations within those religion's think they are correct."

Fair call - should have included other religions.

"For instance if you think they all get you to heaven or whatever, why not just pick the one thats easy where you do jack shit or some free love cult."

Free love cult.....hmmm - if I'd come across one of these in my youth, I might've never been seen or heard of again.....alas, age has dimmed my ardour for anyone but my significant other.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Friday, 12 Apr 2024 at 5:27pm

Guy frowny, it’s true everyone should get along and embrace shared values between different religions.
At the end of the day though you don’t have to be an extremest to believe your way is the only way as that comes from personal revelation, things taught and things experienced.
Interacting with other cultures and religions is a great time to discuss each others leaders , beliefs, things allowed and not, etc etc. and an opportunity to present your case.
. I had great discussions with 2 Muslim clerics in Lombok over a period of time…
We all presented our cases and enjoyed each others company but at the end of the day we believe that there is only one truth and not many truths so agreed to disagree respectfully…….there really can only be one truth, finding it is the fun part.
I left them with the works of king David and king Solomon which they were very glad to have as they didn’t have any of their books and knew them well.
The thing is to look deeply at the leader of each religion. Where the thing started.
Is there total equality to all mankind, is there a destination, is there peace? No slavery , no levels higher than another,
My good friend in the 90’s spent 10 years in Tibet and was a great assistance to the community , was much loved , taught English at the uni and even had a platoon of Chinese soldiers listen to him present the gospel of Christ.
Life is interesting no doubt and respectful open discussion warmly embraced….
We are much more than a short lived piece of meat with no spirit.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 12 Apr 2024 at 5:38pm
GuySmiley wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

@icandig

See I think you’re totally wrong here Info. The vast majority of moderate people of religious belief who quietly go about daily and spiritual lives would not think those Christians or Muslims or Buddhists etc know jackshit about the real god, they would care more about the common ground and shared values of other religions with their own beliefs. It’s only the religious extremists who adopt this my god all good your god not good.

Hmmm i think you are just mixing up people having respect for others to believe in what they want, and not feeling the need to enforce their own belief's on others.

Thats very different than someone who has a religious faith actually believing others religious beliefs/gods etc are also real and pathways to heaven or whatever.

Yeah sure between different denominations there is some flexibility or even Christianity and Judaism, but no truly believing Muslim or Christian is going to go oh yeah Islam or Christianity will get you to heaven or that being a Hindu or a scientologist will get you to heaven.

It would be interesting to hear the perceptive of a Buddhist or Hindu on this though as their view's might differ because Buddhism in a way is about enlightenment and self improvement and Hinduism has so many gods that they might be cool with other gods from other religions?

I know in Indonesia some Hindu sites share Buddhist element's like Goa Gajah in Bali

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Friday, 12 Apr 2024 at 5:47pm

there's always splitters. monkey nature. Mahayana Buddhism and Theravada Buddhism for example has people arguing about wisdom OR compassion.. but I agree, i've heard enough pointless debate between just Christians and Atheists to last all 4 of my allocated lifetimes.

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Friday, 12 Apr 2024 at 5:59pm

Christianity has become woke just like everything else in today’s world.
Covid was an example all the churches fell into line, was not spoken about from the pulpit.
Same as the voice.
Same with gay marriage even though it goes against what is said in the Bible, let’s face it if you say you are Christian and don’t believe the bible then your wasting your time.
Pastors scared to say what is actually written in it, look at what happened to Israel Folau.
Scared if they do people will leave and their goes the $$ imo, or the media will blow them up.
Churches have become clicky easy for people to get left on the outer, pander to people with money or who have standing in the community.
You have to wonder if some even believe in heaven and hell as it’s rarely spoken about.
Pastors have become motivational speakers, it’s a bit like going to a concert then getting pumped up for 30 mins.
You can pretty much do whatever you want no one gives a toss, long as you don’t kill someone lol.
This is coming from someone who has spent 40 years in different Pentecostal churches.
Occasionally now. Not that going to church is going to get you to heaven if that’s what you believe.

The word religion is only mentioned 3 times in the New Testament none in the old.
Religion is man made.