Seminyak or Nusa Lembongan

dylza's picture
dylza started the topic in Tuesday, 25 Jun 2019 at 9:25pm

Doing a week in Bali in August. Tossing up between Seminyak and Nusa Lembongan for. I'll try and surf when I can. Will have my partner and a baby. Hit me up with any suggestions. Or even other areas. Hoping for a couple of semi-decent surfs and hopefully not totally overcrowded! Happy to spend between $800 to $1,500 for accommodation.
Thanks!!

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 26 Jun 2019 at 12:19am

Hahaha mate lembongan shits over seminjak in every department , waves , water quality, affordable accommodation, restaurants being indiana kenanga has honestly 3 star michelin chef quality, clement has taught the local extremely well , you have a huge variety of places to eat or stay , waves are shipwreck which is Bgrade waves but consistent lacerations A grade but fical , locals respect tourists because the money so they don’t burn you in the surf like bali , seminyak is filthy water and closeouts it was good in the eighties when rice paddies reason being from Kuta to seminyak the water used to flow of rice paddies to ocean and form endless v banks now with endless resorts its one big closeout , lembongan is not a party island it’s very family oriented and quiet after 11 pm bar full moon party, for a holiday with misses and billy lids lembongan is definitely the place highly recommended Tarci bungalows look it up on net but don’t go through agency book direct with them , check reviews

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 26 Jun 2019 at 8:30am

Mmm thats a weird choice.

Its like saying should i have a glass of water with a twist of lemon or have a vodka with a twist of lemon.

Haven't been to Lembongan for 15+ years it was often crowded back them so can only imagine now, but still id rather stay on Nusa Lembongan than in Seminyak.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 26 Jun 2019 at 10:00am

I’m on lembongan as we speak, crods come and go , most lve seen in water this last week has been 20 but most sessions about 8-10 people and lots of sessions no one out . Shipwreck being B grade wave doesn’t really attract hot surfers as indo has much more to offer. It’s pumping here and has been 3-6 every day so far , Friday Saturday the swell really lights up Padang cup should run , I’m hoping to get lacerations on , looks like a good direction for it. Shipwreck attracts alot of euro’s but first overhead set has them scrambling for the beach and the locals share so its generally good fun . Hope everyone stays safe this coming swell.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 26 Jun 2019 at 3:25pm

Wow thats a surprise thats what it was like 15+ years ago

Laurie McGinness's picture
Laurie McGinness Wednesday, 26 Jun 2019 at 3:58pm

Stayed on Lembongan in '78, slept in the village hall with the contraception methods of the entire village written on a blackboard. Lived on sun dried fish, rice and an egg now and then!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 26 Jun 2019 at 4:41pm

Would have been untouched paradise back then.

Laurie McGinness Wednesday, 26 Jun 2019 at 4:55pm

Yeh there was no development at all Indo. There were three of us and two other surfers who left after a couple of days. No electricity, no phones, no motor bikes or cars, only one or two people with any English, no real cash economy. Not paradise by a long way as there were also no health services and very limited schooling but an eye opener for sure. The thing that struck me both there and at Ulu that trip was that, by any standards, they were living in poverty yet they were happier than most of us.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 26 Jun 2019 at 7:35pm

"The thing that struck me both there and at Ulu that trip was that, by any standards, they were living in poverty yet they were happier than most of us."

Still the most striking thing travelling parts of indonesia, even bali.

Though not many living in that kind of poverty now in bali. The main or worst poverty you see now in bali is some old chook collecting rubbish for a living. They don't smile much, and who would, surrounded by such opulance?

A guy told me today he's paying $600 a night for accomodation, that's ridiculous money under anybody's terms, but in a developing country? Crazy shit.

Old ibu collecting rubbish is probably scraping together 1 -2 dollars a day if she's lucky and looks rather miserable...

She smiled when I slipped her 2 bucks though.

jezza64's picture
jezza64's picture
jezza64 Wednesday, 26 Jun 2019 at 7:38pm

I stayed in a villa in Seminyak,just behind Potato Head, with my wife for a week last year. If you go with this choice, leave your surfboard at home.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 26 Jun 2019 at 7:51pm

"locals respect tourists because the money so they don’t burn you in the surf like bali ,"

Sounds nice...

"Shipwreck attracts alot of euro’s but first overhead set has them scrambling for the beach and the locals share so its generally good fun . Hope everyone stays safe this coming swell."

Seems aussies are pretty low now on the scale of preferred tourists to accomodate. Euros packing out surf schools are where the cash is at, and the locals know it. Paddle out and try and get a wave under your own merit and your less than a nobody. Paddle out on hired softie and you'll get more respect.

Unless your one of the aussie tiger mum's/dad's paying the locals to push your kid into waves. Quite often competent kids too. More than capable of getting a wave under their own skill set. But your kid can now be assured the pick set wave of the day....for a price....

And its now not that rare. Far outnumbering the pathetic (able) japanese surfers that have been doing this shit for years.

Bad form all around I reckon.

Contemporary surf kid parents need a little self checking big time. doesn't look like it'll happen anytime soon...

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Wednesday, 26 Jun 2019 at 8:29pm

Was on Nusa Lembongan 3 or 4 years ago great spot to hang out, Ship Wrecks 40 to 50 guys on it (head high) Playgrounds had boat wash flowing through it and Lacerations just wouldn't line up.

Stayed Lembongan Reef Bungalow get the bottom room