Haha Ben, brings a good morning laugh

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Thursday, 17 Feb 2022 at 9:13am

IMG-0194

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Thursday, 17 Feb 2022 at 9:15am

Last big growth on left side, hopefully should dry up in the next week and fall off. Eye infection under control, right eye clear. Now to get some plumage back

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 17 Feb 2022 at 10:09am

Great work Seaslug truly good news

Yes Ben very funny

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 17 Feb 2022 at 10:09am

You’re a legend Seaslug.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 17 Feb 2022 at 10:39am

Hey Seaslug, we would love some words from you on how your maggie is interacting with you, is she become more trusting, knowing? Does she recognise / greet you with a low worble? Cheers

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Thursday, 17 Feb 2022 at 11:08am

Thanks everyone, I'll pen a few words on that one Guy

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Thursday, 17 Feb 2022 at 11:09am

Note to everyone, that was Zen dressed up as the lion

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Thursday, 17 Feb 2022 at 11:26am

Great progress seaslug! One very grateful magpie.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 17 Feb 2022 at 11:40am

Haha Ben! And good work seaslug.

gragagan's picture
gragagan's picture
gragagan Thursday, 17 Feb 2022 at 11:44am

Excellent progress!
Just released a rosella back into the wild a couple of days ago, found it as a small screeching fluffball outside on a cold rainy night earlier last year. Hopefully prepped it enough to survive. There were other wild ones visiting it several times daily, hopefully they look out for it, teach it etc.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 17 Feb 2022 at 2:09pm

Onya SS, I reckon that maggie is gonna be ok many thanks to you. If there is a God, I reckon they'd be pretty chuffed right now.

Thing about Bens vid- they would have been taking that drill 100% seriously.

Edit- props to you G-Man, remember, the smallest deed is greater than the grandest gesture.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Sunday, 20 Feb 2022 at 9:55pm

Just saw your Rosella fluff ball post gragagan, good one mate

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Sunday, 20 Feb 2022 at 9:56pm

IMG-0208

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Sunday, 20 Feb 2022 at 9:58pm

Here's you Quenda Groundswell, came it to take Daddy Bronze Wing food, not happy, Quenda is though :)

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 20 Feb 2022 at 10:35pm

Quenda? Never heard of them. I thought it sort of looks like a Bandicoot we see around here. Wikipedia says it’s a type of Bandicoot. Learn something everyday. Australia has some amazing creatures

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 21 Feb 2022 at 9:33am

Stunet: in regards to your black cockies , apparently they move into an area preceding rain because the trees they feed on react to atmospheric changes and the feed becomes easier to attain. Seed cases may open and texture of bark changes ( softens ) enabling grubs and larva to be dug out more readily.

It’s the anticipation of food which brings them around. Usually flying to the coast early morning from the hills or mountains.

Bit of bushie wisdom / mythology.

Got a few of them lurking here this morning with a few days of rain brewing.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 21 Feb 2022 at 10:37am

I've now had two confirmed sightings of Beach Stone Curlews wandering down the main street of two small towns in the region, about an hour before first light.

Pretty rad.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 21 Feb 2022 at 11:10am

had one in the back yard a while ago

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Monday, 21 Feb 2022 at 11:31am

wow backyard and in town! cool. had a pair me greet me leaving the surf at the mouth of a creek cpla weeks ago. love 'em.

gragagan's picture
gragagan's picture
gragagan Monday, 21 Feb 2022 at 11:41am

Where do they sleep during the day? Always used to see them on the Goldy late at night beach fishing. Found a baby wandering by itself once, struggling a bit. Was wondering if it needed help, then saw another one, and then saw a parent so let them be.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Monday, 21 Feb 2022 at 12:05pm

They are amazing birds, a call that can send shivers down your spine. Once saw the UK equivalent in Cornwall, rare as rocking horse doo, standing as calm as you like in a churchyard, in the middle of the village, on the main road.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 21 Feb 2022 at 1:17pm

Seaslug that's such a good outcome! Well done.

Blowin we get the Black Cockies come over in the morning - down to the coast; while the workday commute for the sulphur crested/white non-crested/odd galah is inland after 6am, to the farmers fields.

I see 2-3 and they come very close over the house. Back in 2007 I think, the rangers said there were only about 6 breeding pairs in the Otways - but lo and behold, last week a full 15+ of the Black Cockies came over.

And Zen - they took it seriously? I bet they did.

If you guys need any help, just let us know, cheers, Rest of World.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 21 Feb 2022 at 2:00pm
velocityjohnno wrote:

Seaslug that's such a good outcome! Well done.

Blowin we get the Black Cockies come over in the morning - down to the coast; while the workday commute for the sulphur crested/white non-crested/odd galah is inland after 6am, to the farmers fields.

I see 2-3 and they come very close over the house. Back in 2007 I think, the rangers said there were only about 6 breeding pairs in the Otways - but lo and behold, last week a full 15+ of the Black Cockies came over.

And Zen - they took it seriously? I bet they did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVXTICWRBss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UYgORr5Qhg

If you guys need any help, just let us know, cheers, Rest of World.

That was seriously funny. I’m still not sure why it even was funny. Pissed myself.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Monday, 21 Feb 2022 at 4:24pm

Bush Stone-curlews, that brings back very fond memories as a boy on the wheatbelt farm, quite common then but feral cats, foxes and land clearing had a major impact on their population and survival

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Monday, 21 Feb 2022 at 4:28pm

had a good laugh at the Chiitan☆ Funniest Moments

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 21 Feb 2022 at 4:30pm
seaslug wrote:

had a good laugh at the Chiitan☆ Funniest Moments

Well done on your young magpie mate, Seaslug. Great effort.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Monday, 21 Feb 2022 at 4:42pm

Cheers Blowin, still has some growths on left side eye/ear area but slowly drying up, hopefully fall of soon

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Monday, 21 Feb 2022 at 4:43pm

Groundswell, I was thinking this when you said you saw a quokka down here but it may well have been a Woylie (Brush-tailed Bettong), kung foo kangaroo as a nickname, very rare

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 21 Feb 2022 at 6:52pm

VJ, just watched those vids and the mascot drumming to Anpanman was pure gold!

Brightened an already good day.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 22 Feb 2022 at 4:29pm

The drummer was special! So many comments that he had brought a heavy metal drumkit setup to a kids concert, lol

And when the teacher did the death metal hand sign for the kids to follow extra lol

The sooner Japan replaces Hollywood as the arbiter of world culture, the better. I found those two looking for a nashii pear doing downhill go karting.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 22 Feb 2022 at 5:15pm

I showed the vid to my wife and she is one damn hard woman to impress.

She loved it!

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 22 Feb 2022 at 7:54pm

She's musical to a high level, too, if I recall you saying Zen.

Can you fill us in on the song, is it one that's always played to Japanese children?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 22 Feb 2022 at 8:59pm

I guarantee every single Japanese person knows the words to that song VJ, young and old.

Sorry, forgot to ad- Anpanman is a hugely popular kids cartoon.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 22 Feb 2022 at 9:49pm

Man, those lyrics are deep. With a twist of fatalism. And pain. Beautiful song.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Tuesday, 22 Feb 2022 at 9:54pm

Dig that drumming, fantastic work.
And one for the magpie fans, clever bastards.
Maggies
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-22/magpies-show-cooperative-behaviou...

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Thursday, 24 Feb 2022 at 7:31pm

That photo reminds of a funny utube vid

I'm still stuck with that bat headed mongrel marsupial that moved in 2 months ago. He hates the whipper snipper but tolerates every other power tool I use . He chooses to stay here and I really don't encourage him to, but he's quite a character and we seem to get along.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Thursday, 24 Feb 2022 at 9:21pm

Do you reckon giving him his dinner has something to do with it? Nice work TS, looks like you have a friend (as long as you have some carrots). That is a very trusting possum, so clearly you have earned it.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Thursday, 24 Feb 2022 at 9:31pm

Great photo TS, don't think he's going anywhere, looks very happy with the carrot. How's the claws on it.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Thursday, 24 Feb 2022 at 9:46pm

He generally only cops a snack in the morning .Less than he used to get on his nightly visits .I'm also generally not home through the day so he does his own thing . that shot was taken in the arvo after he was a bit shaken up by the whipper snipper.
My wildlife carer friend suggested not giving him anything after lunch so he wakes up hungry.
The carers said they'd send me a 'drey' if the bastard wanted to stick around. I extended his favourite brick pier (framed) with a piece of timber I was going to use as a stag mount.
I was hoping he'd fuck off back to bush because I was sick of him stink eyeing me everytime I woke the prick up. It's his call.
But yeah , I've known this cranky bugger for a years now,, we be mates.

Quick edit.. you can set your watch by the nocturnal nuisance . He leaves around 8.30 pm and returns at 5:15 am

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Friday, 25 Feb 2022 at 8:20am

Although, no-one else may find this to be good news, but finally nailed Absurdle (Wordles' evil cousin) in 4 goes, in hard mode.
Hint: Use L, R, E and Y in first word - even then it's a challenge, second word choice is critical
Although no spoiler, the 4th word ended up being a tree that happens to be growing in our bedroom (yes we do have an 8ft tree in our bedroom!)

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Friday, 25 Feb 2022 at 11:48am
tubeshooter wrote:

Quick edit.. you can set your watch by the nocturnal nuisance . He leaves around 8.30 pm and returns at 5:15 am

My watch goes by a triple canine nuisance. It starts at 8.31pm and starts at 5.16pm. Drives us nuts but at least they stay away from my fruit trees.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Wednesday, 16 Mar 2022 at 8:04am

Never heard about this. Well deserved awards. Top stuff guys
https://apple.news/AuKrstevLQtiK0hBzawx-Lg

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 16 Mar 2022 at 11:42am

The WWF - that's the World Wildlife Fund not the World Wrestling Federation - has bought a gill net license, the last of its kind, in the northern GBR.

It's the fourth license the WWF has purchased then shelved to protect wildlife.

Conservationists buy fishing licence in Great Barrier Reef to create net-free safe haven for dugongs

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Wednesday, 16 Mar 2022 at 2:24pm
stunet wrote:

The WWF - that's the World Wildlife Fund not the World Wrestling Federation - has bought a gill net license, the last of its kind, in the northern GBR.

It's the fourth license the WWF has purchased then shelved to protect wildlife.

Conservationists buy fishing licence in Great Barrier Reef to create net-free safe haven for dugongs

Good one.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 16 Mar 2022 at 5:30pm

End result of straightening out at low tide this arvo:

The good news is I've got two on order and I no longer have to hide them.

The bad news is I lost a fin from a good quad set of Mitchell Rae fins.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Wednesday, 16 Mar 2022 at 5:41pm

Stu good to see the feet survived as well.