The Daily Good News

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley started the topic in Friday, 2 Nov 2018 at 2:04pm

Dedicated to good news ....

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 20 Nov 2018 at 10:27pm

I’m not in possession of the strongest mind for legalities, but doesn’t the law of salvage rights extend up to 5 kms inland as far as glass floats are concerned ?

And for a period up to ten years from them being found on the beach ?

Referring to that ancient realm of 2nd salvage of course. You salvage it first , then I salvage it from your place.

A mate of mine grew one special plant next to his caravan in his parents backyard when he still lived there. He used to string that thing with fish hooks like barbed baubles hanging through John West’s Christmas tree . It never got stolen.

Not saying that’s what you should be doing . Not saying that’s what you shouldn’t be doing either .

PS I’ve seriously considered buying one and planting it on a beach then leading her to it’s miraculous discovery. But if she uncovered my plan it’d be my crab covered corpse they’d be finding on the tide line.

Nice boards.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 20 Nov 2018 at 9:39pm

Here’s a bit of good news from today.

The tawny frogmouth living above where I’m staying has hatched the cutest mini me animal you’ve ever seen . Looks like a Jim Henson creation.

https://www.zooborns.com/zooborns/2012/11/orphan-tawny-frogmouth-chicks-...

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 21 Nov 2018 at 6:22am

Still on the east coast Blow-in?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 21 Nov 2018 at 7:45am

I’m back for a while . Taking care of a nice old fella who needs a hand.

That link obviously isn’t from where I’m at . Dundas .....WTF ? Is that one of the 7 levels of hell ?

Worse places to be than here . Water is incredibly blue and clear at the moment heh . A reef would be nice though !

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 21 Nov 2018 at 7:50am

Ha I just googled where Dundas was and was like, OK, Blowin is deep in the Sydney burbs.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 21 Nov 2018 at 8:27am

The only place you’d get me to reside in Western Sydney would be Rookwood.

Even then the pallbearers would have a fight on their hands.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 21 Nov 2018 at 11:06am

I'm thinking mid-North coast Blowin. Great beach breaks, reefs on the rare side.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 21 Nov 2018 at 11:19am

Maybe.

What’s your definition of the mid north coast ?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 21 Nov 2018 at 11:54am

Roughly Port Stephens to Coffs.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 21 Nov 2018 at 12:06pm

Big zone.

Surely there’s room for one temporary blowin around there somewhere ?

Certainly contains a few nice stretches of coastline.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 24 Nov 2018 at 6:02pm

Had a few surfs on the Free Flight edge board now, the last two in long point waves where I could begin to feel what was happening. The very first impression is rail to rail 'tippiness', notable because this is a 20 inch wide board, yet it moves quickly from heel to toe, no lag whatsoever like you get on similarly wide fish. In fact it feels like an old style 60s vee bottom despite being a double concave.

It's the edge creating that feeling, lifting the rails from the water and making it perform like a much narrower board. Also, because of the edge the rails are thinner, so there's less foam to sink.

In the first few session on small beachies I had a couple of 'moments' when moving from lateral to vertical. Perhaps the edge was impeding water flow across the board? Not sure. I'd also been surfing a fish for the last month so it was possibly just readjustment issues. Whatever the reason, I had no such problems the last two sessions. It feels like a hull, feels like you're sitting higher in the water, but again, that's a trick created by the edge cause the thickness is the same as any shortboard. 2 5/8 in this case.

Feeling good about it.

The other good news is that on Thursday a mate dropped in on me at speed and we had a hell of a collision, fibreglass crunching, the works. Came up expecting the worst, but the only damage was two impact cuts on my shins, two impact dings on his rail (a Firewire no less!), and not a scratch on my new board.

After the apologies came the negotiations and safe to say I'm happy with the result.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 25 Nov 2018 at 2:44pm

The years pass so quickly.

The seasons seem to be so much shorter than when I was a grommet.

But the change is necessary and it it’s a great metaphor for life. Just when you’re happy and things seem perfect then the world and life can hinge 180 degrees and you’re looking down the barrel of a nightmare.

Alternatively, just when things are down and it seems the world is conspiring against you and you’re ready to grab the whole thing by the throat , the sun will come out from behind the clouds and the rays of good times beam squarely upon you. And you bask in the glow , thinking of where you might have wound up had the winds of change not blown.

At this juncture of my life the winds of change blow and I just let them lift me.

The seasons are short. Enjoy them . Don’t want for the next as it’ll be here and gone before you’ve settled in.

Spring is a time of regrowth and revitalisation. In some jurisdictions the waves may seem to be at their lowest ebb. Take solace in the blue of the sky and the green of the trees ....and surf your fucking brains out when an offshore wind grooms a nice little swell.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 25 Nov 2018 at 2:52pm

Merry Christmas !

Just got in .....after Woolies , before Aldi.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 25 Nov 2018 at 3:03pm

Nicely put...the seasonal thing that is. The other good thing about spring, the surf may be waning but the vege garden is waxing like a mofo.

Cucumbers and a beast of a zucchini from last week:

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Sunday, 25 Nov 2018 at 3:56pm

Worlds biggest zucchinni!!!!!!!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 25 Nov 2018 at 6:37pm

Hey , Stu.

I sure the World’s great economists and demographers would give you a different opinion , but I’ve seen my share of shit and I reckon that living your surfing life and you parked up where you are , with a loving family surrounding you ....you’re in the top 99.99999 percent of the world’s chosen few.

Good things for good people !

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 25 Nov 2018 at 6:51pm

I suppose this is no time to complain about the dire bank situation down here then?

So bad we need a royal commission.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 25 Nov 2018 at 7:12pm

Go for a hate - surf.

It seems to be working on that stretch of coast .

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 25 Nov 2018 at 7:12pm

Don’t worry about the banks Stu, how about getting a dentist down there! The kids have no teeth!!

Jokes obviously...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 25 Nov 2018 at 7:14pm

That’s what you get when if your entire nutritional content comes from a zucchini.

Where’s DOC’s when you need them ?

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Sunday, 25 Nov 2018 at 7:29pm

Speaking of banks, I have some surfing good news.
It was about 12 months ago me and a few mates decided to check out a stretch of sand just south of a well known beach.
From that day forward we were able to get completely uncrowded waves for months.
Then a couple of huge swells wiped them out earlier this year.
The old parallell gutter along the shore trick makes for the perfect close out bank out the back effect.
I last checked 6 weeks ago. It was still the same.
This weekend it's all back in action!
Surfed both days with barely a few fishermen and some guys out way down the beach.
Now if the huge swells could just stay away for the next 6 months, that'd be great!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 25 Nov 2018 at 7:46pm

That’s the money in the bank that the sandbank hound dreams of...keep it dark and surf the shit out of it.

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock Sunday, 25 Nov 2018 at 8:54pm

Went to the the King Gizz and TropicalFuckStorm gig last night. Awesome show. I do think TFS stole the show. Not saying the Gizz were no good but I enjoyed TFS better. They were more dynamic and more freaky. Gotta love ladies with guitars.

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock Sunday, 25 Nov 2018 at 8:57pm

More good news. Both kids in bed asleep before 8 o'clock tonight. Yeehah.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Monday, 26 Nov 2018 at 6:57pm
batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Tuesday, 27 Nov 2018 at 5:13am

I get email notifications from NASA when the space station is going to pass overhead. Had many occasions over the past 18 months where I've caught it with clear skies. 'Tis a wondrous thing.

In other news to hand, I hit my superannuation preservation age last Friday. Trying not to wish my life away, as per blowins previous entry, but seriously considering pulling the pin around this time next year. All dependent on the fates, but I am so over work these days.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Tuesday, 27 Nov 2018 at 12:17pm

Re the Space Station. What amazes me is that it's ground speed is 7.66 kilometres per SECOND. Think about that for a ....minute. If that was at sea level you wouldn't even see it go past....

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Wednesday, 28 Nov 2018 at 4:54am

Yeah, it's effin flying Westof. Usually takes about 3 or 4 minutes to get across about 2/3rds of the sky, maybe about 5 minutes to get across if it's flying pretty much overhead.

Just read through the previous pages to catch up, somehow thought this was an old thread.

In other news, echoing a few others here, my youngest (daughter) finished school last year so this is the first year we've had without school issues for 15 years.

Bad news, I've probably been through the toughest couple of years, and I've had a few tough ones in the past. Good news, there are reasons to think that better days ahead.

Bad news, probably had less surfs in the last 4 months than any time in the past 27 years, for all sorts of reasons (tough year). Good news, I'll have about 4 weeks off over xmas/new year and seriously need it.

Bad news, I'm still sick. Good news, I'll be staying home again today even though they need me in there, I owe 'em nothing and they owe me plenty. More good news, illness gets me up around 4.00 am coughing and spluttering, which just happens to coincide with the Peahi big wave challenge. Good timing!

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Wednesday, 28 Nov 2018 at 9:42am

Hey Batfink, same same with work loaded up with impossible work loads ya ya ya the better you are the more they load you such is the way in aggressive companies, good news is that it drove me to retirement this year..............there is a light and it a joyous thing.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Wednesday, 28 Nov 2018 at 10:28am

Yeah, they're driving me to retirement too I focus. Have done the sums and those days aren't too far ahead.

Lots of people ask me what would I do in retirement, as though working for a dollar is all there is to live for. I can just see a whole new life spreading out before me.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Wednesday, 28 Nov 2018 at 10:43am

Go for it Batfink. I don’t know much, but I do know life is far too short for bs

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 28 Nov 2018 at 11:10am

As a recent retiree, go for it.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Wednesday, 28 Nov 2018 at 1:15pm

Too true shorey, and hope you find more good news Batfink.
Whilst many of my peers are seeing their children leave school, marry, and even have grandchildren already, I was a bit late in getting to the 'becoming a parent' stage, but becoming a 'dad' (or mum) really is the best thing you could do. Let's be honest though, it can be tough when they're little, and they test your patience like nothing else. On the bright side, they really do make life pretty awesome at times.
My son starts high school next year, and my daughter is a few years behind that.
The good news is that I am taking 2 and half months off from the end of March next year using a combination of long service leave and holidays.
I've not had more than 3 weeks off in a row over the past 15 years of full time work, so it's time for a looooong break and catch up on those things around the home that need doing, have a holiday with the fam, and surf the shit out of any surf that comes my way.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Wednesday, 28 Nov 2018 at 1:29pm

Batfink as surfer you will be far to busy in retirement boredom is for those that have nothing but work in their lives

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 28 Nov 2018 at 2:21pm

I haven’t worked for 2 years on the 10th of January.

Good times !

Life still throws up some very shitty deals , but at least you don’t have work politics and the incessant beeping of an alarm clock to compound your problems.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 28 Nov 2018 at 2:37pm

Two years?! Unreal.

More good news is the far end of the model runs showing the formation and track of what could be an incredible system. Yeah, it's still in fantasy land, but if it comes off you'll wanna be on the East Coast.

Also, Cadbury family-size chocolates are now sold in limited edition blocks with CC corn chips in them. Unrelated but good news nonetheless.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 28 Nov 2018 at 2:47pm

"Also, Cadbury family-size chocolates are now sold in limited edition blocks with CC corn chips in them. Unrelated but good news nonetheless."

WTF. I'm an absolute chocloate fiend but that just sounds wrong..

Good news is that all this rain has washed away the heavy dust left on my car from last week's dust storm which was cleaned 2 days earlier post being serviced.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 28 Nov 2018 at 3:34pm

Don’t talk to me about chocolate.

After going cold turkey from a savage habit of both it and beer ( again ) a couple of months ago , I just powered through a lifetimes worth of both whilst minding a house in the hinterland around here during the last few days.

Consequently, I feel like a piece of shit. I reckon I put on 3 kgs and now my shorts are too tight.

Good news is .....it was hellfun.

That explains spelling Lynch with an I in that email , Stu.

Off trolley.

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Wednesday, 28 Nov 2018 at 4:07pm

anyone else got a really really hot westerly, wow?!!!!! 27 to 35 in a flash.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 28 Nov 2018 at 5:54pm

2 years blowin? Fuck me.
Want a job? I’ve been advertising for workers for months and can’t get any decent ones.

Sorry for clogging the good news thread with work talk...

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 28 Nov 2018 at 6:13pm

Still advertising GF?! Ages ago I saw you asking the question on IG.

Someone enquired, so you asked about experience.

Their reply, "I've got a shovel. How hard can it be?"

Made me laugh...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 28 Nov 2018 at 6:26pm

Unless the job is tube tester for 4-6 foot left handers with an easy roll in , I’m probably not going to be interested.

What do you do ?

Can we talk about the effects of immigration on wages and housing during smoko ?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 28 Nov 2018 at 6:30pm

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 28 Nov 2018 at 6:43pm

Maybe you’re fishing for BB fish , Goofy ?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 28 Nov 2018 at 7:35pm

No politics here Blowin.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 28 Nov 2018 at 7:50pm

Yeah Stu, more work = more workers..
you come across some rippers :-0

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 28 Nov 2018 at 7:50pm

Blowin if that was the job description I’d work for the rest of my life

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 29 Nov 2018 at 8:22am

The aforementioned fantasy cyclone has disappeared.

Fortunately Cadbury choc block with corn chips hasn't.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 29 Nov 2018 at 11:25am

I’ve always been a huge fan of animals. Fish and reptiles my favourites. But not by that great a margin , I love them all.

Recently I watched a movie called “ The Big Year “ wherein Owen Wilson , Jack Black and Steve Martin are twitchers ( bird nerds ) who embark on the Big Year , an attempt to see as many different types of birds as they can in a 1 year period. The movie is OK , a buddy road movie / journey of self discovery kind of deal.

But it’s inspired me to go on a Big Year.

When I say go on a Big Year , I thought that I’d just casually keep a record of every bird I saw and see how the tally went , not chase them down and travel to spy the things .

Turns out I’m a fucken’ bird nerd also.

I’m up to 42 species in a week. The guy in the fact based movie got 740 in a year to be world champ , but being typical Septics , it was only Seppo birds and Seppo competitors.

I’m bringing it home for the Green and Gold....no damas.

Unless, of course , if I get bored of the whole thing or it gets even remotely difficult.

Anyway , the tawny frogmouth that had a chick outside where I’m sleeping is on a tear . Turns out it’s twins.

CAF ( Cute As Fuck )

So that’s the good news. I needed something good cause I’ve just sprayed 10 cans of fish oil under my car and then spent half an hour throwing up cause I poisoned myself ....yeewwww !

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 29 Nov 2018 at 12:02pm

Here's Blowin's frogmouths...