Surf cars

PaulG's picture
PaulG started the topic in Wednesday, 8 Aug 2018 at 10:31am

Surf cars

Every 5 years I upgrade my car/wagon, and its getting harder, I want to be Homer like in the episode were he design it himself.
Current issue is new cars suck, they all use surfing for advertising, but none seen to be practical.
Specs, need to carry at least 4 boards (usually more) and 2 teenagers (usually more) every Saturday/Sunday – need to drive it Mon-Fri (30K kms pa)

Boards need to vary from 5 10” twinny to 9 2 Jackson and a range of inbetweeners
(Short boards, fish, retro, mini mals)

The rear space in suv is crap, allowing too much room for the teenagers and not enough board space. - Maybe due to lack of choice

4 door utes, good for tools not good for 6’+ boards –off the list

Family vans (havnt looked at yet) but they seem a bit daggie – although maybe when they get their P’s I wont have to share it – further investigation required and stick figure stickers a must for these sorta cars. -maybe

New commodore, has a split middle seat good idea will keep separation on drive home after the weekly interference call and wave steeling accusation argument – but the weird stud will inflix a ding on at least one board – therefore it fails –off the list

The sales guys try to tell me about keyless entry – but this is not good , key aint water proof – nowhere to stick the key lock device car any way. Then they go on about the sensors to warn me about the guy trying to snake me on the left or were ever as if I care- glad he doesn’t surf.

any suggested for what I should check out is appreciated -Ta

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Monday, 8 Oct 2018 at 6:24pm

Whoops, I didn't see this thread and I started a new one. Someone moved my comment here (thanks). That's why my comment has the weird last line asking what your favourite surf car is. Anyway... anyone got any feedback on Ford Territorys?

ps- I used to have a little Mazda bubble car that got me to most surf destinations... high clearance goes a long way!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 8 Oct 2018 at 6:46pm

http://imgur.com/PIFIooD

Will go anywhere with everything you need safely inside.

I fit 2 SUPs in it a few days ago . Both around 10’6” .

Do me a favour though will you ? Don’t tell anyone about the SUPs , OK ? Cheers , I knew you’d understand.

A Ford 4WD ......WTF ?

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Monday, 8 Oct 2018 at 7:06pm

Are toyota group carriers made in japan?

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Monday, 8 Oct 2018 at 8:05pm

What's the fuel cost for troopies like?

I don't know much about fords or 4wds. Is a ford 4wd a weird thing?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 8 Oct 2018 at 8:34pm

I had a Troopy with a 1 HZ motor, got low to mid 13l/100km at best.

At worst, I was loaded up (not towing) and punching into a headwind - got about 17 or 18 l/100km.

Bloody good cars though, if you look after them and keep the rust out you'll be extremely unlucky to get less than 500,000 km out of one.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 8 Oct 2018 at 9:18pm

Had HJ60 with 2H diesel that consistently got 10.5s, was surprised when sent in work/mine 100 series and 70 series Troopys that they chewed more. Came down to gearing, the 60 would be doing 2100 at 110km/h, the 100/later 70's would be spinning at 2500rpm at same speed.

Territory has been good for us Patrick, but we now live in an area that is pretty much all paved roads and gravel, and we mix with as much snow and alpine as possible. So handling and road manners and AWD for ice take preference over 4wd ability and clearance, although it is excellent on unsealed gravel roads. Much of the SE of the country is like this. If you are in SA, WA, mid coastal NSW where you are allowed to beach drive (or top end touring) - Toyota 4x4, Prados are pretty good as are LandCruisers, they will go do the offroad (including sand) that the road biased Territory won't have the clearance for. So many WA roads are just long and straight for vast distances, with some rock hopping or sand at the end to get to the surf, perfect for these great reliable 4x4s.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Monday, 8 Oct 2018 at 10:25pm

Thanks for the info Andy.
Thanks Johnno I'm in Tassie and probably won't be doing a lot of real off road. Just want the 4x4 ability for the odd occasion.
I like the fact the seats fold dead flat for sleeping and that it's a comfortable car for long drives on sealed roads. How do you find it goes with fuel consumption? Mechanic says it should be ok as it is basically a falcon, but on the net people reckon they're thirsty cars. I'm looking at a 2006 model.

belly's picture
belly's picture
belly Tuesday, 9 Oct 2018 at 7:14am

My old car was a R51 manual pathfinder. Rear seats fold flat and did no worse than 8L/km on the highway. A good example may fit your budget, made from 2005 to 2014ish. Genuine 4wd ability.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 9 Oct 2018 at 7:20am

Troopies have a special place in my heart.. my old man had two of ‘em for work vehicles from the mid-late 80’s onwards and they just went forever.

Albeit very slowly, being 2.4L non-turbo diesels.

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Tuesday, 9 Oct 2018 at 7:33am

Territory 06 onwards offered the ZF 6 speed. Get that it if you can Pat. Is substantially better than the 4 speed. But it needs to be serviced. It's a sealed transmission and many ignore it thinking it's good for life. Unfortunately Germans don't tend to rack up 300k+ in the vehicles.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 9 Oct 2018 at 7:52am

Set yourself apart from the pack with a Commodore. Really walk the wild side by getting a blue one. Fit it out with after-market accesories such as cable ties to hold your $10 placcy hub caps on. It's all in the details.

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Tuesday, 9 Oct 2018 at 8:41am

The best thing about the troopers, is that they aren’t built in those shithole cities, by immigrants ‘stuck’. They are built in small ‘forests’ where non ‘stuck’, non immigrant (cunts) workers hum along to the liar birds!!! I can say that in many different ways, just to appease amesy... again. ‘We lurv’ ya amesy!!!!’ Again... in a nutshell??!!

Also troopi’s are totally constructed mining free, including the mandatory sups they drag around, because the owners hate mining, except up the NW, because they are saving jakes from environmental disaster. In their troopo’s. With their sups in tow. And stuff. Made by ‘stuck’ cunts in fucking shithole cities. Again. In a nutshell. The one weakness of the trooping groupies is that to carry goofball’s behemoth sized craft, a Kenworth is required. In a nutshell. Again!!! But with a difference...

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 9 Oct 2018 at 10:37am

Be right back, gotta go train someone!
Again!

Amasing!

Pikachu!

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 9 Oct 2018 at 11:57am

Thanks Happy. Belly I'm looking at a pathfinder today. You got good mileage... online lots of comments saying they're thirsty!

belly's picture
belly's picture
belly Tuesday, 9 Oct 2018 at 12:20pm

Should've said diesel manual. No tyre mods, stock size but Cooper or Mickey ATRs. Could get 6's on the Monaro run :-)
My Everest averages about 11s but can get 9s on a highway run, 3.2 v 2.5 and auto v manual.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 9 Oct 2018 at 1:19pm

If I didn’t need a 4WD I’d get a commodore, no dramas. I had one once . Bought it at Darwin , I reckon it was a chop shop job as it went like a shower of shit yet it was cheap as. Great for open road traveling.

Weirds me out to see crew with 4WD s that don’t ever go off road . They’re so much more expensive. Money that could be better spent going surfing.

kbomb's picture
kbomb's picture
kbomb Tuesday, 9 Oct 2018 at 9:12pm

What about a Prado turbo diesel? Not sure on how thirsty they are but could be worth a look. I hear good things.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 9 Oct 2018 at 9:37pm

I’ve got a 3L turbo diesel Prado. It’s unreal... I’d highly recommend it.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 9 Oct 2018 at 10:30pm

I can also recommend Isuzus with a 3.0 litre 4JJ1 motor i.e. MU-X and D-Max.

Several mechanics I've talked to say they're the best of the 3.0 litre common-rail diesels, as does 4WD Action mag.

But I still haven't got a straight answer on what to do with the EGR valve on modern diesels...

chin's picture
chin's picture
chin Tuesday, 9 Oct 2018 at 11:14pm

“But I still haven't got a straight answer on what to do with the EGR valve on modern diesels...”
That’s because there’s so many design variables and inherent problems from one model or brand to the next. Also several different ways to deal with the problems. Generally speaking though, modern turbo diesels eventually choke up the throttle body and also the inlet manifold with a gunky black tar like substance which reduces air flow through the Induction system. Crankcase fumes are recycled back into the intake manifold to be burned instead of venting them to atmosphere which would be fine of not for the fact that those fumes are also mixed with hot exhaust gasses introduced via the EGR valve, turning the oily crankcase fumes into tar.
As far as I know, all modern turbo diesels experience this, whether you notice or not.
Different ways to deal with it are....
A)Take the intake manifold and EGR valve off and clean the crap out every 100k or so
B) blank off the exhaust supply to the EGR valve which will probably throw up a fault code, necessitating some kind of work around like an electronic remap to fool the car’s computer. This approach also means the car no longer meets emission standards.
C) fit a catch can to separate the oil from the crankcase fumes before it gets to the Intake.
D) there are also various electronic ways to close the EGR valve completely and fool the car’s computer, also with resultant illegal emissions

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Wednesday, 10 Oct 2018 at 12:05am

How to save even more of the environment, and to promote maximum productivity and economic efficiency, whilst satisfying stupe' and amesy. That's the biggy. In a nutshell... again. Fear not. With an all important difference. Tar shmar. Big deal. Recycle it. As hair restorer perhaps... again...

'“But I still haven't got a straight answer on what to do with the EGR valve on modern diesels...”
That’s because there’s so many design variables and inherent problems from one model or brand to the next. Also several different ways to deal with the problems. Generally speaking though, modern turbo diesels eventually choke up the throttle body and also the inlet manifold with a gunky black tar like substance which reduces air flow through the Induction system. Crankcase fumes are recycled back into the intake manifold to be burned instead of venting them to atmosphere which would be fine of not for the fact that those fumes are also mixed with hot exhaust gasses introduced via the EGR valve, turning the oily crankcase fumes into tar.'

'I’ve got a 3L turbo diesel Prado. It’s unreal... I’d highly recommend it.'

Here we go. Amesy stylin'.

'My prado is a no bullshit work of art. Its gleaming finish is so good, that I can comb my hair in it... Plus, slattsey and the aliens reckon if you recycle all the tar and prods it shits out... aye but, it makes insane hair restorer! And shit hot fertilizer too... regrowth guaranteed... However if you wanna save the NW enviro, regroup all ya tar free, off the shelf troopies, and fuckin' stampede the place aye!!! In a nutshell!!! With a difference!!! Again!!! WTF... check out the jets aye!!!!'

chin's picture
chin's picture
chin Wednesday, 10 Oct 2018 at 12:15pm

That’s the world we live in Crypto, high tec low emission diesels that some yobbo in the back blocks of Oz can improve on with a set of sidchromes

ryder's picture
ryder's picture
ryder Wednesday, 10 Oct 2018 at 9:48am

Magna sedan still treating you well Cryptonite?

hairmick's picture
hairmick's picture
hairmick Wednesday, 10 Oct 2018 at 10:48am

On the Territory Patrick, we bought a 2007 Territory almost 2 years ago. My wife wanted a smaller car for loading the family into. We switched from a Pajero. The Territory is large enough for our family of 4 easily with all the gear for extend road trips. I think it's great on fuel getting better than 10 litres to the 100 ks on the open road fully loaded. They have plenty of power with it able to over take a road train, uphill and into a head wind easily. Bullet proof 250 ford engine. Car is very comfortable without any bells and whistles and not much to possibly go wrong. We went the rear wheel drive option because we were told that they are better on fuel and less to go wrong. Once the wife wants to upgrade in a few years I expect to use it as my surf wagon for many years. We do a lot of country kms and lots of driving on rough unsealed roads. Car was probably a third of the price of a similar year prado. I would definitely recommend as a strong, no frills, economical, surf wagon

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 10 Oct 2018 at 11:08am

Lil’ Crippy blasting around Elliston in his 1985 Dihatsu Mighty Boy flexing his biceps at any old lady that crosses his path
Big fat McCoy hanging out the back, back seat covered in tins of protein supplements...

What a deluxe sight

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 10 Oct 2018 at 11:29am

I always assumed he’d drive a van

chin's picture
chin's picture
chin Wednesday, 10 Oct 2018 at 12:47pm

Nah the paddock basher is the car of choice for us

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Wednesday, 10 Oct 2018 at 1:12pm

Exactly. The blowindo's always stick out like dogs balls. Rust waiting to happen. Parts on the truck mmmmmaaaaaayyytteee. Laugh a minute... bullshit.

You'll never go goofball, like ya maaaaayytee. Next time ya calling yazzie off, and chucking the monstrous craft at everyone, get directions. Lift the behemoth of a fucker if ya can, above ya neck, and get it on the roof. Of ya troopy. They all came goofer, except a few of ya. That's all. When all the stories start up, they've all got them... I've heard them all, I was there, live with it son. That's all. In a nutshell... again.

grog-an's picture
grog-an's picture
grog-an Wednesday, 10 Oct 2018 at 2:58pm

he was there alright... going over the falls on those stupid fat old man boards...again, and again.... and again!!! in a nutshell... and then going off his nut trying to make out someone got in his way... pretty regular occurrence around these parts... by all accounts... from real locals.... in a nutshell.... so deluxe

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 10 Oct 2018 at 3:12pm

Fuck , I knew it !

Sticking to the theme of the thread....would you describe his boards as more akin to a school bus or a coaster van ?

Does he ride twinnies ?

PS My auto correct subbed in “ Twinkies “ for twinnies till I changed it. Funny , cause I can imagine him riding a twink easier than I can a twinny.

grog-an's picture
grog-an's picture
grog-an Wednesday, 10 Oct 2018 at 3:18pm

haha.. twink! thats so deluxe! and fitting.

School bus? nah.... Coaster van? nah.... more like a hummer. looks like a piece of shit, handles like a piece of shit, driven by ........ well im sure you could imagine the type of people who drive hummers.... in a nutshell

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Wednesday, 10 Oct 2018 at 5:02pm

The hidden little bullshit brothers!!! Deluxe!!! Sprung so bad again yesterday blowindo... so fuckin' bad!!! Deluxe shit... postin while ya surfin'... again!!!! HAHAHA, best bullshitter ever!!!

Besides lil' grogy!!! You boyz just stay hidden, do as your told... again... good boyz!!!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 10 Oct 2018 at 5:20pm

Posting while I’m surfing WTF ?!

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Wednesday, 10 Oct 2018 at 5:25pm

Here come's a doozy!!! East a albany 2!!!! Loopy shit comin' up... again!!! In a nutshell!!!

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Wednesday, 10 Oct 2018 at 6:31pm

Cryptos that bloke who'd take a group photo and crop it to show everyone he has a girlfriend.

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Wednesday, 10 Oct 2018 at 7:10pm

'sigh'... (again), 'hapless, what would you like to be when you grow up dear...'

'I wonntt to beeth are pewsthonawl twainer mummy...'

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 10 Oct 2018 at 7:30pm

Hey Patrick, sorry delayed reply, we have the 4.0 Aussie petrol 6, AWD and ZF 6 speed auto in our Territory and it is a great combination. For Tassie I'd recommend one for the comfort in all the twisties you have. You can reel in Subys on the corners...
Owning since new (now nearly 300,000km): gave 11.2 combined repeatedly, I've got a crack in exhaust at present and it's doing 12.9 until that's fixed. About 10.5 on the highway, 13s in town. So it's thirsty compared to small cars, but not too far off my old diesel even though it's a petrol. The motor/drivetrain combo is a national treasure.
Look out for: balljoints: for 2006/7 SY, and earlier, Ford designed balljoints wrong. There is a recall which ours has. SYII (2009-11) has better design and is my pick of all Territorys.
Rust: under rubber seal at bottom of tailgate. They all do it, Ford never really got on top of this. I wipe it clean and apply vegetable oil every couple of months under the rubber seal. Bushes in suspension: was given rubber for a nice ride - this wears and over time you will have to replace it. Big cost is the 'Control Blade' IRS, it's a complex unit and we redid ours with nolathane bushes at about 210,000km. Set of tyres every 70 to 80,000 for us. I changed transmission fluid 3 times so far over life of car even tho Ford say 'it's sealed for life' - the ZF is still working well. Never happened to us, but 'milkshake' is where cooler for auto transmission fluid join with radiator corrodes and mixes with engine coolant - tow cars more likely. You can fit an external cooler. Window regulators seem to go and the power windows can freeze, I spray with silicon to keep them running fine. If you buy petrol AWD you get AWD all the time split 38/62 front to rear. If you buy the later diesel AWD it decouples the front diff to save fuel via a Haldex type arrangement, so you don't really get that AWD all the time.
Love the huge internal space, the comfort, the locking tray under drivers seat, 7 seats if you need them for kids. And you can pick RWD model if you don't need AWD. Our AWD did Jacobs Ladder with ease in its Tassie adventures. It will do 500,000 or more if you take care of it. Hope this helps Patrick. That's the Aussie SUV, in a nutshell.

Coaster's picture
Coaster's picture
Coaster Wednesday, 10 Oct 2018 at 9:21pm

Good summary, velocityjohnno. I had a SY 2008 RWD Territory 7-seater from new and replaced it last year with a different type of SUV.
You’ve listed all the issues that are fairly common with them. They don’t hold their value very well but that’s good for a used car buyer.
I agree that he should avoid the earlier models, mainly because the older they are, the more likely something will need to be replaced and the higher the cost. All sorts of minor issues can start after about 8 years: head lining lifting at the edge, water leaks, tailgate hinges/struts, all fixable fairly inexpensively if you can do it yourself.
Avoid the turbo petrol variants; they’re fast but they’ve most likely been put through their paces regularly (thrashed) and fuel economy and maintenance costs are higher again.
I’d recommend a suspension check from Pedders before buying one; replacement of all parts will cost around $4,000 if the suspension is on the way out, which occurs somewhere between every 120,000 km and 150,000 km. Ball joints need to be replaced as often in the newer models but there is no risk of serious sudden failure in the models from 2009 onwards (SY II, SZ and SZ II). I saw an older one (SX or SY) on the side of the road near Albion Park last February collapsed on the front wheel.
The rust along the seam in the bottom of the tailgate was supposedly fixed in SZ and later but it can be managed in the earlier models as you suggested (or ignored by most because they don’t know it’s there under the rubber). I’d also check if the car has had the auto trans serviced every few years. Most don’t as it’s claimed to be a sealed system. But they fail after 200,000km if not maintained. Avoid one that has towed caravans or horse floats.
Expect to replace the electric window motors and switches on the front windows every 5 years.
They’re a great car to drive, very comfortable, heaps of space and you can cruise long distances and not get a sore back or legs, unlike a sedan with a lower seating position and low ride height. The leg/head/shoulder room for passengers in the second row is excellent, and the third row is okay for kids for short distances.
It can fit a board up to about 7’4” in the back with the second and third row laid down. One of the last Aussie-made cars.
The Ford forums au website has lots of info in the Territory section, and lots of advice from other helpful owners.

LeBarry's picture
LeBarry's picture
LeBarry Tuesday, 23 Oct 2018 at 8:48pm

the Pathfinder looks OK?, are they still making the Territory?

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 30 Oct 2018 at 3:46pm

Thanks everyone for your tips. Johnno and Coaster thanks for the great info (I meant to get back to this thread ages ago). I had my eye on a petrol one but the mechanic turned me off it on inspection and now I'm looking at a diesel one. 2012 year. Cheers.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 31 Mar 2019 at 5:16pm

3rd car I ever had. Wish I’d kept it . Pretty sure I’m not the only bloke getting around with a regret along those lines

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 31 Mar 2019 at 5:19pm

EH station wagon, might have been my second car. Did huge miles up and down the east coast. It took many beatings along dirt roads and, as I never washed it, rust took it out in the end.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 31 Mar 2019 at 5:30pm

On the day pictured we were visiting a beautiful town known for its waves and rippers. We ended up cruising right up the beach on the low tide and doing donuts between the flags at Northies. Cue clubbies chasing us like the finishing skit of the Benny Hill show .

Fuck the clubbies .

Great car , good times.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 31 Mar 2019 at 5:43pm

HQ with no rust - I miss it regularly.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 31 Mar 2019 at 6:11pm

Blowin and Andy, great EH and HQ! I had metallic purple, white roof HJ wagon. Trim was that light creamy colour, black dash. 202 was very strong, column Trimatic and front bench seat. Should've kept it!

What price a bench seat in todays cars? I mean, they are 1.8m wide, why not use that space usefully with 3 seats? That way the entire back of the wagon can be boards and gear, as many boards as 3 surfers would want.

My next one, will be the VY wagon my Dad bought brand new in early 2004. If Mum says it's time. I'm really looking forward to preserving it and keeping it well for surfing, sentimental and historic reasons. I'm sure the VT-VYII will be remembered as well as the Kingswoods, given time. You just can't buy anything like it today (big wagon space, RWD, Aussie built, simple for parts, unbreakable iron block drivetrain).The trim on this base model has stood the test of time really well and still appears very fresh. Wind up windows, bonus! Again, metallic purple - tending on burgundy - in colour.

So I end up where I began, a Holden surf wagon.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 31 Mar 2019 at 6:36pm

Jesus built my hot rod !

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 31 Mar 2019 at 6:48pm

Bench seats were awesome, like cruising along in a lounge.
And the lack of head rests might have been lethal but jeez the made for an open car, felt very communal with people in the back seat.
Had an HJ sedan with a warm 202 and a Supra 5-speed - got done doing 190 in that thing.
To be honest VJ, I think you can't beat a 4WD ute - I'll keep an old Holden as a Sunday cruiser these days, no way I could leave a classic in a supermarket or pub carpark.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 31 Mar 2019 at 6:55pm

Yeah Andy, I can completely relate to that. There are two cars in the family that have gone classic and so attract the wrong attention, it's not what you want in a surf carpark. Plenty of tatty 2000s Commodore wagons around now, with less chance of being picked off for classic status.

Hey - does anyone run a Suzuki Grand Vitara here? By the looks, it's still a real 4wd (with full time 4wd and low range), Japanese built, and has some skill in sand. Smaller than a big 4wd so probably nice around town in auto. Petrol/auto combination should be very reliable. Do you have to lift them a bit for the sand?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 31 Mar 2019 at 6:55pm

The Brown Hornet

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 31 Mar 2019 at 7:19pm

Would unironically buy if something like that offered new, with airbags/ABS.