Google earth going live

crg's picture
crg started the topic in Friday, 2 Mar 2018 at 1:15pm

Reading the interview with Ted Grambeau it was mentioned the use of Google earth these days in surf exploration. He mentioned it will become real easy when it goes live and "real time".
How will this impact surfing when it happens?
There is the obvious benefits of finding new locations during actual swell events etc but where does it end? Just how will this information be used and what will be the impact on crowds.
And that just in the water.
Will surf cams become obsolete? Is it a consideration for you Ben in the future of online surf forecasting?
I'd be interested to hear everyone's opinions on the advantages/disadvantages of us one day being able to look at any surf break in the world live.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 2 Mar 2018 at 2:36pm

I hope it never happens it will further ruin things even more and any secrets left will be gone, not only could you see when spots are breaking and use it like a surf report/cam, but for surf adventure you could then work out swells size needed and direction and tides etc

Google earth is one of those things where it's great to use as a tool because it's there its silly not to use it if you want to go hunting waves, but if i could rid the earth of one thing other than the internet id get rid of satellite pics.

BTW. remember the readers digest book with all the satellite pics in Australia?...loved that book as a grommet.

John Eyre's picture
John Eyre's picture
John Eyre Saturday, 3 Mar 2018 at 12:21am

Might spread the crowds out........so they all arent crowding out with drones and towing into greatest our greatest secrets at once.......the whole world......looking at google earth..!

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Saturday, 3 Mar 2018 at 5:16am

I'll be to busy looking what's going on @googleearth to go surfing. :-))

Please tell me it's not going to happen real soon.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 3 Mar 2018 at 8:38am

It would be fascinating to watch big swells on islands/seamounts you just can't get to (until of course someone does), but I'd bet there would be quite a few 'under the radar' spots that soon would not be. Then there would be the joy of watching GWS patrol southern ocean beachies, live - the point being there would still be large stretches of coast with very good waves that will still be too intimidating to surf.

It would also be a lot harder to sneak 6 aircraft carriers on a NW approach to Oahu.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Saturday, 3 Mar 2018 at 11:36am

Recursion rocks! I can watch myself on google live watching myself on google live...