Domestic flight - luggage charges

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Wednesday, 13 Dec 2017 at 3:18pm

Wow, what a rude shock.

I booked some flights this afternoon (domestic) - did the usual routine through Expedia, and am now going through the process of adding baggage through the Jetstar website. 

Seems that now they've now added a new charge for 'handling' any luggage deemed to be 'oversized' - which means anything with a single side greater than 1 metre in length.

As I'm taking some boards with me, this means two flights will receive this charge - plus the actual baggage charge too. From the Jetstar website:

"If you choose to bring any oversized items, you pay the fee per item, per flight. Each passenger can bring up to two oversized items. Remember, the oversized item fee is paid in addition to any checked baggage allowance, it does not increase your baggage allowance."

How much? See below - 'the handling fee' is $25 per item, per flight (so, two oversized bags per trip = $50 per trip or $100 return). And then the baggage costs on top - which in my case is $46 per trip ($92 return) for 25kg.

So, I've just forked out an extra $142 to add my surfboards to a domestic flight.

Wow.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 13 Dec 2017 at 3:19pm

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 13 Dec 2017 at 3:26pm

Wow, here's another curveball.

I wrote the post above whilst waiting for the Jetstar website to process my baggage order (initially "managed my flight"). But, the website crashed and asked me to reload.

At the same time, I received the Jetstar itinerary via email, which had an "add baggage" link at the bottom - so I used that instead (saved me looking up the booking reference etc).

And... to my amazement the prices have changed within a matter of minutes!

See the screen grab below - Gold Coast to Melbourne is now only $32 for 15kg (compared to $40 on the initial booking, see above). 

Even stranger, on the same page, the return leg from Melbourne to the Gold Coast is cheaper again - just $30 for 15kg! The screenshot below shows both of them at the same time as they appear on my screen right now.

This is crazy. 

Ash's picture
Ash's picture
Ash Wednesday, 13 Dec 2017 at 3:29pm

Yep Ben, flew Jetstar Sunday and got hit $60 for an extra 4kgfor carry on, which I reckon was more like 2, either way it was a flat fee/fine for the transgression

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 13 Dec 2017 at 3:30pm

Yeah, biggest rip that oversized baggage handling fee, and having to also pay for the weight.

I asked, if there is a baggage handling fee, will my board be treated with more care and be less likely to be damaged. Nope.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 13 Dec 2017 at 3:45pm

I flew Jetstar Monday and will again tomorrow with no additional charges for my board.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 13 Dec 2017 at 3:51pm

You have to manually select (or 'declare') the oversized luggage when you book the baggage though - so perhaps you inadvertently skipped it?

Or maybe you ordered this before the new charges were made public?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 13 Dec 2017 at 3:55pm

Jetstar are the WORST airline in the world.

Zero costumer care.

Avoid them at every turn.

Pay those few extra dollars to fly with someone else and send the message that they are FUCKED.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 13 Dec 2017 at 4:11pm

Ever been with RyanAir?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 13 Dec 2017 at 6:07pm

Yep, jetstar new charges. And yes they suck. The charges, and jetstar.

Lion air, now rp200 000 per board with counter staff now feeling up your boardbag to count how many inside. What used to be $50 flight now charged $60 extra for 3 boards. More for the boards than the ticket.

They all suck! But there all still cheaper than US and euro airlines.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 13 Dec 2017 at 6:07pm

My wifey said next trip we wont fly jetcrap........i mean jetstar.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Wednesday, 13 Dec 2017 at 6:16pm

Lion charges are easy to get around if your not at one off their major airports like Medan. You just bribe the counter staff. In fact 9 times out of 10, watch what they counter staff do with your additional Rp fee you pay.............it never goes into the til!!! :)

barrelzz's picture
barrelzz's picture
barrelzz Wednesday, 31 Jan 2018 at 4:42pm

Jetstar just stung me $115 for shortboard (5'10) baggage for a return trip to Byron. Apparently, new rule that boards over 1 metre (pretty sure that all boards) irrespective of weight incur an additional $25/domestic flight in 'oversize baggage' fees. That's in addition baggage allowance cost of $32/domestic flight (of 15kg). What a rort!

Anyone know of better domestic airlines for surfers?

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Thursday, 1 Feb 2018 at 12:41pm

I've done it 4 times since they started doing the $25 oversize fee from Ballina with Jetstar and never been charged for it. Just don't book it and then print your baggage docket and take it to oversize.

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Friday, 2 Feb 2018 at 12:22am

so you just put a regular baggage tag/sticker on the oversize item? Then it doesn't register with the oversized baggage attendant when they check your ticket?

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Friday, 2 Feb 2018 at 7:26am

I've checked in at Ballina, Sydney and Melb and they've never brought it up.

barrelzz's picture
barrelzz's picture
barrelzz Friday, 2 Feb 2018 at 9:18am

Swellnet - feel like putting an analysis together of oversize baggage domestically and common international legs for surfers (e.g. Bali, Hawaii etc)? Be a hot topic and hopefully spread the word to airlines that it's not on.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 2 Feb 2018 at 9:34am

We ran an article a few years back though it's probably not current now. May be worth doing again though we'll have to see how much info is available publicly - some airlines are very tricky to get data from!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 2 Apr 2018 at 8:39am

Slaters having a Grizzle about Jetstar and board charges

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 2 Apr 2018 at 9:13am

I must be lucky, I have done a lot of flying in the last few years, often on Jetstar and never been asked to pay extra, even with two boards.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 2 Apr 2018 at 9:13am

I must be lucky, I have done a lot of flying in the last few years, often on Jetstar and never been asked to pay extra, even with two boards.

LeeD's picture
LeeD's picture
LeeD Saturday, 14 Apr 2018 at 3:22pm

Just don’t select “Oversize”

Henno's picture
Henno's picture
Henno Saturday, 2 Jun 2018 at 6:01pm

Anybody also been stung for multiple boards in one bag. According to the phillipino chat dude the handling fee is per board even if its a double bag and under 32kg

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 2 Jun 2018 at 6:24pm

Which airline?