Are Aussies and Kiwis as bad as Brazillians?

Spuddups's picture
Spuddups started the topic in Monday, 30 Oct 2017 at 5:45pm

I think most people would agree that some travelling Brazilians can be a right royal pain in the ass to surf with. But what about Aussies, and for that matter Kiwis? I've experienced the whole range over the years, from polite and respectful to downright obnoxious. Any thoughts?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 30 Oct 2017 at 7:29pm

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 30 Oct 2017 at 7:47pm

Depends where the Aussies are from generally.

City surfers struggle to turn it down sometimes.

Goldy surfers often don't attempt to.

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Monday, 30 Oct 2017 at 9:39pm

There are dicks every where from every creed and country.
Surf Ettiquite is a dying form of water manners.
It's just maths that drives a lot of it.
I like surfing but I don't like many surfers

Willow995's picture
Willow995's picture
Willow995 Monday, 30 Oct 2017 at 11:20pm

Had a few traveling Brazilians this morning who snaked, dropped in and dinged some guys board on the drop in. What made it worse was there were three of them and so it was all that (minus damaged board) by 3.

But in saying that i have seen plenty of Aussies/locals who have done the same maybe not to that extent but I'm sure they could

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 31 Oct 2017 at 6:48pm

This threads been done a few times before BUT.

Aussies can be just as bad as Brazilians and Brazilians can be totally cool too.

In my experience it's about thew numbers they are in if one or two either Aussie or Brazzo they are normally cool, but once there is three or more thats when they can suck, especially like say in Indonesia and are traveling on a charter boat and six guys who are all mates paddle out into a lineup.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 31 Oct 2017 at 8:18pm

West Australians are the best surfers in any lineup.

Especially if it's heavy.

Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters Tuesday, 31 Oct 2017 at 9:07pm

Ever surfed in Sri Lanka or The Maldives with a group of Israelis?
I’ve just come back from The Hinakos , where I surfed with Kiwis , South Africans and even Dutch. The only problem was between Some weird Brazzos who cut the lines of some Aussies on a charter boat while they were fishing! Aparrently it was the Brazzo’s break.

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Wednesday, 1 Nov 2017 at 6:19am

Biggest wankers I've ever surfed with were locals at my local.

VICLB's picture
VICLB's picture
VICLB Wednesday, 1 Nov 2017 at 12:26pm

Agree with inzider, you find them everywhere.
I was one when i was younger and lived on the peninsula. super hungry aggressive, felt that I had entitlement over any blowin. 80% of my sessions had some sort of exchange with a fellow surfer. now i'm in my mid 30s i have realized we all have to share and have some respect. line ups are lot more crowded these days and agro seems to be increasing. manners in vic are still solid. Goldie is a nut job i love the waves there but its really everyone for themselves, i don't think i could live there.

Horas's picture
Horas's picture
Horas Thursday, 2 Nov 2017 at 12:49am

No doubt some cunty Brazzos but seen some pretty ordinary Ozzies as well.It's a lottery same as life.Cheers,lets have a couple.

Willow995's picture
Willow995's picture
Willow995 Thursday, 2 Nov 2017 at 4:34pm

Seems blokes from Oregon would like to be included. A video going around of a photographer in Oregon getting some treatment from locals. That being said I'm surprised the locals waited so long he was very annoying and provoking.

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Thursday, 2 Nov 2017 at 7:16pm

I just watched that video , there's a thing called respect , and that photographer showed none . He invoked every type of legal threat possible , would not shut up and was saying he has every legal right to do what he wants, he actually could make a career of going to spots and repeating his disrespectful behaviour!
Went on a boat trip this year , surfed with no problems with Brazzos, Mexicans/Basque/Spanish/seppos and pommies , the only problem was an Aussie !

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 2 Nov 2017 at 7:43pm

old mate had to rescue a guy falling in and out of consciousness after being mercilessly punched in the head by an Hawaiian surfer. His crime? taking a wave the Hawaiian wanted and took from the shoulder.

different old mate got punched in the back of the head without any prior warning or words while paddling out in the islands. He was unceremoniously told to immediately paddle in or expect more.

i've found australians can be pretty ordinary on surf trips while on non surfing holidays i avoid americans like the plague - concurrently polite and culturally unaware and rude is a hard mix to deal with.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 2 Nov 2017 at 7:56pm

Those Sanur Boys dont hold back ..
Agro guys them and a couple of them built like Mike Tyson .

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Thursday, 2 Nov 2017 at 9:36pm

Hands up who hasn't been a complete prick in the line up at one stage or another ?? If you haven't , then you're either a liar or a fully fledged kook. Just last week I lost my shit at 6 clowns from a far away town who thought I was some sort of priority buoy. Sometimes nice guys finish last.
And to that , get to know some Brazilians , they're awesome people, haven't met one yet that showed disrespect outside of the line up. I've had my run ins with them in the water , but nothing that went further than the shorebreak. Gotta love their passion.

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Thursday, 2 Nov 2017 at 10:37pm

yeah complete prick or total cunt , surely part of a surfers DNA!

Spuddups's picture
Spuddups's picture
Spuddups Friday, 3 Nov 2017 at 6:02am

Okay, full disclosure: I was a bit dishonest. My intention with this topic was to get people to think about their own behaviour in the water. A lot of people seem to use Brazilians as a bit of a scape-goat for bad behaviour in the water. My feeling is that no nationality in particular has a monopoly on being a fuckwit in the waves. Like Tubeshooter said, we've all been dickheads at some time or another. We need to look at ourselves first.
I have hung with plenty of Brazilians in Indo and they're good blokes. One thing I admire about them is that as someone mentioned they are able to leave any shit that goes down in the water out there. Of course there are a few bad eggs, but as I mentioned we're all guilty of that at some time or another.