Indo in the Wet Seaon

Stok's picture
Stok started the topic in Monday, 30 Oct 2017 at 4:43pm

I’ll be in Bali over the xmas and new years period with the wife, following this I’ll have 2 weeks early January spare to head off solo somewhere for waves. Wondering if anyone has any leads/recommendations of other places to head to in Indo mid Jan? Was thinking/hoping maybe Sumba, Sumbawa, Krui or the Ments, although I’m not really sure how many surf camps will be open around that time. Somewhere either where the trade winds are favourable, or closer to the equator where they don’t really blow.

Generally looking for fun/glassy empty waves, so would prefer to head away from the East coast of Bail if possible.

Any tips appreciated!

Horas's picture
Horas's picture
Horas Thursday, 2 Nov 2017 at 12:43am

Just go mate,don't think just do.Cheers.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 2 Nov 2017 at 9:34am

Pretty much everywhere in Indonesia gets good in the off season, but pretty much everywhere in Indonesia can also be flat and tiny for long periods in Indonesia in the off season.

If you want to play it safe stick to swell magnets where wet season winds are not a problem, or roll the dice on other locations and you could score perfect uncrowded waves.

Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters Thursday, 2 Nov 2017 at 10:10am

Simeulue? Telos? I know Aura is open all year on Simeulue, maybe that’s worth a look.

Stok's picture
Stok's picture
Stok Thursday, 2 Nov 2017 at 1:41pm

Cheers guys. Thinking Simeulue as it's above the equator, so assuming the only real wind it will get will be from the usual storm cells which pop up every now and then. Anyone been there that time of year? Are there a few magnets?

Also - indo-dreaming, when you say it gets flat or tiny for long periods, do the super exposed magnets get below 2ftish? I'm thinking like Green Balls or Burgerworld etc. Happy to head over and have a few lay days but would hope there'd be something to grovel on at the exposed spots most days.

Spuddups's picture
Spuddups's picture
Spuddups Sunday, 5 Nov 2017 at 7:24am

Lombok is pretty good off season.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 5 Nov 2017 at 9:06am

@Stok

Indo can get dead flat but it is rare, I've seen the Mentawais dead flat or absolutely unridable tiny with strong cross shore winds for about a week, both in November and February.

But yes if you are located near a swell magnet you should be fine.