Atlantic Storms

blindboy's picture
blindboy started the topic in Wednesday, 6 Sep 2017 at 8:14pm

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 6 Sep 2017 at 8:16pm

With Irma being the strongest ever Atlantic storm. It is worth revisiting Hansen's paper. I posted this before but can't find which thread it was in.

https://www.atmos-chem-phys-discuss.net/15/20059/2015/acpd-15-20059-2015...

Jamyardy's picture
Jamyardy's picture
Jamyardy Wednesday, 6 Sep 2017 at 11:18pm

It's still got a way to go with respect to lowest minimum pressure, as for sustained winds, it's up their with the best of them. I hope for safe haven for the people of the Leeward islands, greater Antilles and eventually Florida.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 7 Sep 2017 at 9:22am

Radical stories/photos/video coming out of the Caribbean this morning - apparently Barbuda has been completely wiped out.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Saturday, 9 Sep 2017 at 7:51pm

Anyone think it's a chance of missing the Panhandle all together !?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 9 Sep 2017 at 10:32pm

The eye might miss but with its width it will still do some damage. Here's hoping it is much less than current predictions.

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Sunday, 10 Sep 2017 at 8:16am

Predicted to skirt the edge of the peninsular but doubt it will escape damage.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 10 Sep 2017 at 9:46am

It's only a cat 3 at the moment.

Standard.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Sunday, 10 Sep 2017 at 8:12pm

Low vertical wind sheer in the next 6-12 hours of its path along with hyper warm water says to me it may reach Cat 5 ( American scale ) before landfall . After that sheer increases ( although that forecast has been easing ) . So I would expect atleast a low Cat 4 on crossing . And with my own gumption , I'm suggesting that crossing will be much further north and slightly west of where they keep shifting it . Systems this size and strength start to influence their own steering influences , given its already reached Cat 4 again hours ago. Should become expected to lessen its curve the more strength gained . So missing that coast altogether is not out if the picture .

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 11 Sep 2017 at 6:41am

The media beat up continues.

Deadly storm !

The result ?

3 deaths . All from traffic accidents .

Yet on an Average day in Florida 7 people die in car crashes , so you could actually say that the storm made Florida safer.

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Monday, 11 Sep 2017 at 9:27am

Compared to ~1200 dead in Bangladesh / Nepal in the recent floods which left 2/3 (!) of Bangladesh under water. Try and find a recent news story about it.