Board bag zip repairs

bishmann's picture
bishmann started the topic in Sunday, 25 Jun 2017 at 11:17am

Brains trust
Recently had an airline break off the zipper tabs on my board bag any ideas where I could get this fixed in Victoria ?
Cheers in advance

fuggin_waffle's picture
fuggin_waffle's picture
fuggin_waffle Monday, 26 Jun 2017 at 4:37pm

You might be able to fix it yourself with one of these: http://www.fishpond.com.au/Toys/FixnZip-Zipper-Repair-Large-Graphite-Fix...
I think board bags are generally 10mm large zips.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 26 Jun 2017 at 5:27pm

What do you need a new slider ? under five bucks if you do and piss easy to fit , a plastic or stainless one i think crustt recomended on here before

no-eye-deer's picture
no-eye-deer's picture
no-eye-deer Monday, 26 Jun 2017 at 7:52pm

I had to replace the whole zip on a new board bag coming home from Hawaii years ago (thanks Australian Customs!). I wound up taking it to a caravan awning manufacturer/repairer and they replaced the whole zip for $20.

geoffrey's picture
geoffrey's picture
geoffrey Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 7:33am

any upholsterer/tent/camping repairer can do it in 10 minutes. Last time i went to a bloke in wollongong we talked shit about indo for about half an hour and he did it for free. If i could remember the name of his shop id give it a plug.

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 9:52am

I wouldn't waste my money on the link waffle gave, they don't do the job. I it's just the tabs use a key ring.
I put new zips in but only in single covers, can do double and triple covers but they need to be dismantle and sewn back together, the $100+ usually puts the customer off. Coffins with wheels just cant be fixed for less than the price of a new one.
Putting a new slider is easy just make sure you get the right one,chunky or coil.
Problem with all the covers being made in asia is the also make there own zips that are a little bit different to the one we get off aussie wholesalers so if you put a ykk slider onto a different make zip it it may not work properly. They also make odd size zips that only their slider will fit.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 9:31am

Ring Paddy Pallin or Bogong in Little Bourke Street, they use a repairer who was across the road for back pack zip repairs.