Expoxy Boards expanding in the heat ...

Chris Tola's picture
Chris Tola started the topic in Thursday, 12 Jan 2017 at 3:45pm

Has anyone had issues with expoxy boards expanding and contracting in the heat and moving? I know it sounds weird, but two of my expoxy boards in the shed have moved a significant distance and fallen off their racks (dinging the tail on both which is a pain). There is no extenal interference, the boards have just "moved" - and please don't mention the 'Ghost of the Fiberglass Board Shaper' who is upset with Guys riding expoxies OK, as I have a couple of fiberglass boards as well. Any advice greatly appreciated. Chris.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 20 Jan 2017 at 4:47pm

Just came across this Chris...

Is there an open window that a gust of wind could blow through?
Do you have a son or mate who's liable to sly a surf on your boards?
Family pets..?

I'd be running through all those reasons first. For a board to expand enough to move it'd end up with a twist in it. Also, it'd have to be pretty damn hot wherever you keep your boards.

Speaking of: You shouldn't keep your boards anywhere hot.

Chris Tola's picture
Chris Tola's picture
Chris Tola Monday, 23 Jan 2017 at 1:17pm

Hey Mate,
That's the weird thing, no open windows, no pets/rats etc, no ratbag mates coming over to borrow anything, nothing, and OK, it's a tin shed and the boards were well placed on top of other (fiberglass) boards ... can't work it out!
I've moved the epoxy boards lower now, and have place straps around them to be sure.
I'll let you know if anything else progresses.
C.

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Monday, 23 Jan 2017 at 1:38pm

possum bastards can get in anywhere! If an epoxy expanded enough to move it, it would delam from the expansion as its the foam that would expand or more accurately the air in the voids of the EPS

Chris Tola's picture
Chris Tola's picture
Chris Tola Monday, 30 Jan 2017 at 4:50pm

Thanks 50young, didn't honestly think about possums until now - good call, and totally possible in an urban area like where we live - thanks.