Craig started the topic in Tuesday, 13 Sep 2016 at 11:25am

A great chart sourced from here: http://xkcd.com/1732/

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 13 Sep 2016 at 11:25am

benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Tuesday, 13 Sep 2016 at 12:04pm

That's really well put together I reckon. Thanks for sharing that, Craig.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 13 Sep 2016 at 1:26pm

That was cool (and kinda funny too).

But, as we all know, climate change aint no laughing matter.

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Tuesday, 13 Sep 2016 at 1:38pm

Hmmm, me thinks Randall may have slipped up on the period 1900 to 2000. Marcott et al got different results. Looking at http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2013/03/response-by-marcot...
It seems a near flat temperature line for that period.

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Tuesday, 13 Sep 2016 at 1:36pm

If you checkout http://www.ozcoasts.gov.au/index.jsp , scientists are now saying that the sea levels are rising at such an accelerated rate now , in 50 years there will be no beaches left in Australia and no reefs.
now there's a story!!

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Tuesday, 13 Sep 2016 at 1:50pm

Groundhog Day ... The news is really that China and US have made some agreement.

nick3's picture
nick3's picture
nick3 Wednesday, 14 Sep 2016 at 7:58am

Wow. It is amazing that they have records of temperature of the globe to 1 degree back 20,000 BC.
I would of thought accurate measurement was only possible in say the last thirty years.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 14 Sep 2016 at 8:22am
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Wednesday, 14 Sep 2016 at 12:58pm

Correct me but I thought people were castigated if they reference wiki for scientific data as this ?

nick3's picture
nick3's picture
nick3 Wednesday, 14 Sep 2016 at 1:02pm

Modeling studies have been ambiguous, remains unclear, the changes that lead to the initiation to Snowball Earth events remain unclear, however, it has been difficult to determine whether these warmer intervals were actually hotter or colder than occurred during the Cretaceous optima.
Prior to the Neoproterozoic, evidence of temperature changes and glaciation is usually too scattered and sporadic to draw firm conclusions.
Nevertheless, an overall perspective is useful even when imprecise.
The gradual intensification of this ice age over the last 3 million years has been associated with declining concentrations of the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide, though it remains unclear if this change is sufficiently large to have caused the changes in temperatures.
Though some scientists dispute that methane would be sufficient to cause the observed change.
During these events, temperatures in the Arctic Ocean may have reached levels more typically associated with modern temperate (i.e. mid-latitude) oceans.
This article has just backed up my point. They have no real idea.

nick3's picture
nick3's picture
nick3 Wednesday, 14 Sep 2016 at 1:15pm

Please let me know if any one on this web site is that naive to think a scientist can tell us with in 1 or 2 degrees what the average global temperature was 20,000 years ago or earlier. Even a 100 years ago we did not have that information that can be called accurate on global averages.

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Wednesday, 14 Sep 2016 at 2:14pm

It is not about data. Here is what explains it. You put all yours kids and wives in a house. You lock all the windows and doors shut. You run the water thru the bin. They have to drink and bathe from this bin. You also drive your SUV and four wheel drive up to a gap into the house and pump the exhaust into the house inside your family and pets and indoor plants live in this environment and atmosphere. Just like what we are doing to the planet. I think we can do better than this. Time to clean up our act.

nick3's picture
nick3's picture
nick3 Wednesday, 14 Sep 2016 at 2:57pm

What a poor example. Man made global warming and dirty water are seperate issues. But I must say lets keep those third world countries from progressing and they can still keep drinking their shitty water.
Fuck you guys are so high and mighty. Talk the talk but don't walk the walk. I bet you guys are still living your lives comfortably and using electricity and buying shit that is made by polluting the environment.

nick3's picture
nick3's picture
nick3 Wednesday, 14 Sep 2016 at 3:55pm

What a poor example. Man made global warming and dirty water are seperate issues. But I must say lets keep those third world countries from progressing and they can still keep drinking their shitty water.
Fuck you guys are so high and mighty. Talk the talk but don't walk the walk. I bet you guys are still living your lives comfortably and using electricity and buying shit that is made by polluting the environment.

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Wednesday, 14 Sep 2016 at 4:01pm

Nick your attitude shows you are part of the problem not the solution. Try appreciating life as it is and then you can implement change to Assist all others. If you were fair dinkum you would be out working within the areas that you say need your help and outlook, not finding fault on a surfing site on the internet using a device that you say pollutes which ultimately means you are polluted as well. Not to worry though Nick, life still loves you as you are.

nick3's picture
nick3's picture
nick3 Wednesday, 14 Sep 2016 at 6:59pm

Yes I have polluted and so have you and every other looser on this web site.
So if you feel so strong about this issue ( and every other key board environmentalist ) go and neck yourself. Just like suicidel extremist that believe in their course make a stand.

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Wednesday, 14 Sep 2016 at 9:04pm

Bless you Nick. May you transcend your limited belief system and be inclusive rather than exclusive which only portrays you as a pale imitation of who you really are. Peace be with you Nick.

nick3's picture
nick3's picture
nick3 Thursday, 15 Sep 2016 at 6:57am

I think you might have the limited belief. I am fair dinkum by realising this is all a ploy by a one world governance to tax the living shit out of us and make us feel good about that.
Do you really believe any government give a flying fuck about the globe. Do you really care, what have you done.

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Thursday, 15 Sep 2016 at 8:35am

I lobbied to get solar panels and wind turbines on govt buildings which h happened. I emailed environment minister constantly. I sent lots of alternative energy technology information to over one hundred delegates to the Paris climate summit. In return I received thanks from the French president and prime minister and from barrack Obama plus others. I have been sharing new advances in clean energy technology for years with govt's all around the world. South Australia govt buildings now. Mostly are energy efficient and other govt buildings around the world are following. So Nick I have been very effective in changing how people and institutions see the benefits of working with the planet to evolve in a way that is wholistic. Yes we have some ways to go but at least it is in the front of peoples awareness. This is only some of what I have done and there is more coming. Greg hunt is very wary of me. Have a good day Nick.

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Thursday, 15 Sep 2016 at 9:50am

Dave, please correct me but did you say 'wind turbines on govt buildings'. Have to be small, no ? I assume you have heard what happened in south Australia with respect to its energy supply recently ? How is the term 'energy efficient building' measured ? I'm sure alternate energy sources can / will play a role but the question is how much. Anyway, this is going off topic with respect to the Timeline initially presented.

nick3's picture
nick3's picture
nick3 Thursday, 15 Sep 2016 at 10:27am

You are delusional. What wind turbines on government buildings and so these buildings are off the grid now??

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Thursday, 15 Sep 2016 at 12:38pm

Nick thanks for your interest but I am only delusional by wasting my time conversing with you who obviously allows his ego run his life. Small mindedness cannot understand the notion of wholistic evolution. So goodbye as I have more important things to do than conversing with someone who knows it all yet knows nothing at the same time. The tathra s surf club is a result of my ideas and maybe you could be useful and email other govt buildings to get them to follow suit rather than being a so called expert and critic on swellnet. What have you done Nick?
Yes some things I have asked to be done have been ignored but at least I have tried. Bye Nick may you expand your tunnel vision to become a happier and more insightful being. Many blessings, Dave.

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Thursday, 15 Sep 2016 at 1:24pm

Gents, I think Dave was referring to solar panels on the tathra club. Using individual solar panels on each building, say, is not cost effective. So I'm not quite sure how or why would one put solar panels on each govt building - very different to a surf club.

nick3's picture
nick3's picture
nick3 Thursday, 15 Sep 2016 at 2:36pm

Dave you are are not sane.
I lobbied to get solar panels and wind turbines on govt buildings which h happened. Mate you are off you fucken head . I think i am the one wasting my time conversing with someone who doesn't even have sane mind let alone a small mind. What do you know Dave without making up bullshit stories.
Can you send me some of your mind altering drugs to expand my tunnel vision.

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 8:58am

Nick of course you are right. Who said I was sane. Believe what you want Nick as I don't care. Yes you are wasting your time go back to tweeting Donald Trump who obviously is on the same wavelength and intelligence as you. Happy trolling Nick you thick prick. Just joking mate, believe what you want be it insane or just lame.

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 9:08am

Tony the world temperature goes up as the planet does have a consciousness. If humans honestly commit to cleaning up our waste the planet responds. I am on phone so answer brief and can be taken out of context. But rest assured I have been very busy sharing lots of info with many govt and scientific bodies about many idea to help the planet earth evolution.

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 10:19am

Thanks Dave. Yeah, I thought there was something amiss re turbines on roofs (??). But what is important is to get the data correctly interpreted. The timeline displayed showed an incorrect temperature level if one uses the references that were mentioned. So Randall (the author) created his own which causes more problems. At least on the last 100 odd years, you can dismiss that chart.

ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 10:57am

Hi TB. Thanks for the link. You say the last 100 years of temperature is basically flat acvording to their data, but they say:

"we find that the decade 2000-2009 has probably not exceeded the warmest temperatures of the early Holocene, but is warmer than ~75% of all temperatures during the Holocene. In contrast, the decade 1900-1909 was cooler than~95% of the Holocene. Therefore, we conclude that global temperature has risen from near the coldest to the warmest levels of the Holocene in the past century."

So rather than being flat, it is the most drastic period of change, no?

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 11:13am

Ojack, the reference Randall used seems to be Marcott et all - but that's just one of references he used (according to the chart). Marcott et all did not have such a step change in temperature in the 1900-2000 period. However, that's not to say other references had the same. Given industrialisation, 1900 period onwards is, I assume, highly relevant in this. Hence the last bit of the chart is questionable.

nick3's picture
nick3's picture
nick3 Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 12:51pm

Dave I don't tweet, I don't know Donald Trump, I am not a troll but your are right I do have a thick prick as well as long.
One thing I don't do is bullshit about getting thanks from Barrack Obama and the French President.
No one can say with any certainty what the global temperature was in the Holocene Era. If anything you would be kidding yourself if you can precisely tell what the average global temperature was 100 years ago and put that within 1 or 2 degrees.
You can only start to be a bit more precise from about the time they started putting up satellite's from the late 1980's onwards. Just remember all this man made global warming is based on a couple degree's.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 1:05pm

A couple of degrees can mean the difference between a jumper and t-shirt.

nick3's picture
nick3's picture
nick3 Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 2:17pm

My point is , how can you say in 1900 the average global temperature say was 'X' temperature and now in 2016 it is 'Y' temperature. So it has risen by 1.5 degree celsius. When the fact is how accurate is the so called average global temperature in 1900.

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 3:19pm

How do you think they measure the past average global temperature Nick? Are you a scientist?

ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 6:21pm

Hi again TB.

I don't pretend to understand all the technicality in their paper, but my reading of Marcott et al is that the cartoon is a fair representation of their findings for the last 100 years. Happy to have it explained otherwise tho.

http://content.csbs.utah.edu/~mli/Economics%207004/Marcott_Global%20Temp...

Anyway, don't care about splitting hairs - agree with you that US - China agreement is probably the biggest news in this area atm.

Peace

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Saturday, 17 Sep 2016 at 5:42am

Ojack, I referred to one source (assume it's reliable) for an interpretation of Marcott et all which it seems that Randall who created the timeline also used Marcott et all. The historical timeline is interesting and I hope it is true but I suggest that the last hundred odd years is critical in this debate. The site realclimate.org seems to interpret Marcott et al in a different light.

ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko Saturday, 17 Sep 2016 at 10:45am

ok mate, all good. we're interpreting realclimate.org differently. hope you get some waves this weekend

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Saturday, 17 Sep 2016 at 12:09pm

Ojacko, 'interpret differently' - just looking at the figure 1 does not confirm what Randall has drawn. It would be hoped that interpretation is consistent, otherwise it's all pie in the sky stuff. Otherwise, we are being led up the garden path.
Here, Small surf but great conditions - plain fun.

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Sunday, 18 Sep 2016 at 2:04am

No bullshitting Nick. My emphasis is aimed at efficient resource use by humanity. Especially energy. The earth climate has and will always be changing but humans are polluting air water and land. Whilst planet earth loves humans it will get rid of us if we threaten it's overall functionality. Science has been shown that all results are influenced y person's bias so I take all data with a. Grain of salt because real science shows that this is really a virtual reality anyway.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 18 Sep 2016 at 6:23pm

Ha ha "real science". "Virtual reality". Your thinking is as clear as mud there Dave!

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Sunday, 18 Sep 2016 at 9:52pm

BB I know it's hard to accept but it's all made up. Yes it appears to make sense but it is just the creator playing a game of experiencing itself. Our ego mind does not believe this but hey we are making up some great things but yeah mate the material world is a free for all playground for the spirit acting as many spirits being human beings. This playground is a third dimensional field and hence certain parameters seem to apply. So have fun, be creative and be kind to others forgiving them even for their so called insane thoughts and acts. Be true to you .

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Sunday, 18 Sep 2016 at 11:22pm

OMG . Craig .

Was the traffic numbers down that much that you had pull out this old Chestnut .......
That brings in the delerium ..................
Anyone with SN shares , SELL , SELL .... theya re getting desperate .
I read all this and now i think I'm dumber for it .
Nice Chart Though ;-)

Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu's picture
Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu's picture
Hako o hakonde ... Monday, 19 Sep 2016 at 5:47am

I don't care :-)))

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Monday, 19 Sep 2016 at 8:28am

Southy, not dumber but have more awareness to propel your own expanding consciousness. I didn't realize you were in the Warren Buffet league of capitalism. Sell sell sell. My oh my. As for halo, Galileo and Copernicus were said to be mad and no one cared. Whatever reality we inhabit we have a responsibility as custodians too ensure it function's wholisticly and that means not polluting and abusing resources that harm the ecosystems that underpin that reality. Read tolle or communion with god to understand why we are where we at. Or better still go surfing.

nick3's picture
nick3's picture
nick3 Tuesday, 20 Sep 2016 at 1:52pm

Dave planet earth does not love us humans. It is devoid of emotion and if it could have emotion it would hate us with a passion.
By the creator do you mean God?? In that case then god is the most egotistic one of us all. Doesn't he have something else better to do then play games with simple servants such as us humans.
As for Galileo and Copernicus there is no evidence they were mad it was just the poor simple religious institutions that portrayed them as mad. Religion has so much to answer for stifling the progress of science.
Carpetman I suppose they measured the average global temperature by holding a un calibrated thermometer out the window. What is a scientist and why do you believe what they say above your own observations. I would back my own common sense and ability to see outside the square over many scientist.

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Tuesday, 20 Sep 2016 at 3:42pm

Nick peace be with you brother but I see you know. So my apologies and arrogance for even trying to have a civil communication with you. But I am mad and my madness makes me a lover of life in all it's diversity and dysfunctions. Dichotomy of physicality means I even accept you Nick.

nick3's picture
nick3's picture
nick3 Wednesday, 21 Sep 2016 at 7:10am

Dave. We are having civil communication.
What do you call a lover of life ??? In my way of thinking humans have the least amounts of rights to be on this planet. If I was judging GOD on his work I would want my money back for failing so miserably with most of the human beings living in this world.

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Wednesday, 21 Sep 2016 at 7:32am

Are you included in that lot Nick? I only see spiritual beings in earth suits playing roles. Nick when you die there will be only one question asked and that is how much did you love? There will be no judgments because you will see with self realised eyes. You will see you were surrounded by loving spirits play acting. Spell evil backwards. When you know this before you die you become light hearted and when you intentionally send love and blessings your life changes. Yes the world outside may still be out of control but your world inside isn't. The more people that remember this will eventually see the world change. Up to you Nick you can remain reactive or become creative cause it depends on how you c yourself and your life. Many blessings and good surf's for you Nick, best regards Dave, I love life and life loves me.

nick3's picture
nick3's picture
nick3 Wednesday, 21 Sep 2016 at 9:03am

Cheers Dave:)