The coolest thing you've ever seen

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Monday, 15 Feb 2016 at 3:49pm

I'll get the ball rolling with this.

(though, I wonder how they account for daylight savings!)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 15 Feb 2016 at 3:53pm

Christ that's clever.

Who ever came up with that deserves some coin for astuteness .

More likely it'll be ignored though.

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Monday, 15 Feb 2016 at 4:30pm

Interesting topic. Suggest the 'coolest thing' also needs to be useful.
Can't say I need a sun dial but clever use of light.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 15 Feb 2016 at 4:56pm

That's pretty amazing Ben.
Saw this guy in London driving a leopard skin print sofa around the streets, total head-turner. Don't know how he gets them registered but how cool would you feel??
Complete with a pizza pan steering wheel and a chocolate bar gear shift!!
http://www.cracked.com/article_19815_the-9-most-insane-vehicles-that-are...

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Monday, 15 Feb 2016 at 7:22pm

Very hard to explain this.

Inebriation nil.

A "Portal"!!!!!, in our forest! My back yard.

Hence this signature.........

Quoted from Rusty
"Thanks for having the balls to tell the truth about what you and your wife saw wellymon .

It aint easy and it doesn't make any sense because our brains are too small at the moment to comprehend the reality of what's happening in our forests . We're only just waking up so to speak . The big problem is we think we know everything and it's just not the case . This ancient country ignores our limited knowledge , scientific theories and political policies and goes on about it's business as it has for the past 20 million years . We are specks of dust on a timeline and we know nothing .

Something really is going on but at the moment it's beyond our comprehension ............"

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Monday, 15 Feb 2016 at 7:28pm
AndyM wrote:

That's pretty amazing Ben.
Saw this guy in London driving a leopard skin print sofa around the streets, total head-turner. Don't know how he gets them registered but how cool would you feel??
Complete with a pizza pan steering wheel and a chocolate bar gear shift!!
http://www.cracked.com/article_19815_the-9-most-insane-vehicles-that-are...

Gold AndyM, what a cracker champ.

And its No1 hahaha

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Tuesday, 16 Feb 2016 at 11:20am

Bump this again, as it a great thread Ben;) IMO.........

What all you surfers walk around with ya eyes closed, maybe too many bongs and you can't remember?????

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Tuesday, 16 Feb 2016 at 12:40pm

Sometimes I think of simple technology like a car engine and think what person thought that up and then made it, man I feel like a simpleton sometimes when I think about it, I guess I should stop thinking ...

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 16 Feb 2016 at 2:23pm
wellymon wrote:

Very hard to explain this.

Inebriation nil.

A "Portal"!!!!!, in our forest! My back yard.
You're gonna have to expand on this Welly, I'm lost.

Hence this signature.........

Quoted from Rusty
"Thanks for having the balls to tell the truth about what you and your wife saw wellymon .

It aint easy and it doesn't make any sense because our brains are too small at the moment to comprehend the reality of what's happening in our forests . We're only just waking up so to speak . The big problem is we think we know everything and it's just not the case . This ancient country ignores our limited knowledge , scientific theories and political policies and goes on about it's business as it has for the past 20 million years . We are specks of dust on a timeline and we know nothing .

Something really is going on but at the moment it's beyond our comprehension ............"

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Tuesday, 16 Feb 2016 at 3:21pm

Very,very hard to explainAndy M,

My wife and I saw, something from the edge of our forest looking back at us, I know you think this is weird, but we obviously thought of a Yowie (Gorilla type looking) face..????

Got the binoculars onto it......
We both seen nothing like that at all, a whole different realm mate.
The most amazing site, we have ever seen....

There is a site where I have documented it, but to tell you the truth, it's really done my head in as of late.
So I'm taking it on board and leaving it for awhile.

Like "Rusty" said as a longtime contributor!!!!.
It really now makes sense to me .

"This ancient country ignores our limited knowledge , scientific theories and political policies and goes on about it's business as it has for the past 20 million years . We are specks of dust on a timeline and we know nothing ."

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 16 Feb 2016 at 9:55pm

Welly I reckon that's incredibly exciting to have your mind blown like that as a straight and sober adult. That's some pretty rugged terrain around you up there, when the mists roll in it's primordial.
Good attitude too, why would you try to trap it? Give it a wave (no pun intended) and carry on.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 17 Feb 2016 at 12:15am

Cheers Andy.

I must say, it is coolest thing I have seen, especially experiencing it with my wife.
Lucky she was there, as I think I might have lost the plot and got locked up;)

Just a side note,... there has been many people here in Australia, that have witnessed similar experiences in this Australian bush......

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Wednesday, 17 Feb 2016 at 12:43am

Aurora Borealis - northern lights are pretty cool, see it a lot this time of year and each time is as spellbinding as the first. Haven't seem the Australis version. A big clear night sky as well, no light pollution so when you look up it feels like the stars are zooming towards you, that's probably the coolest thing.

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Wednesday, 17 Feb 2016 at 7:30am
upnorth wrote:

Aurora Borealis - northern lights are pretty cool, see it a lot this time of year and each time is as spellbinding as the first. Haven't seem the Australis version. A big clear night sky as well, no light pollution so when you look up it feels like the stars are zooming towards you, that's probably the coolest thing.

Yeah, that has got to be a special.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Tuesday, 9 Apr 2019 at 5:37pm
zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 9 Apr 2019 at 6:13pm

One of the coolest things I've seen is sitting down just on sunset once and witnessing a huge flock of starlings doing their dance in the sky. It's hard to explain but kinda like a huge baitball swerving and flowing in perfect synchronisation. Sometimes they'd split into seperate flocks but then morph back together again and become as one again. I could hear their little wings creating a kind of rustling sound like leaves being blown along a road in autumn.

With the setting sun creating a soft backdrop I lost all sense of time and place. It was truly beautiful and mesmorising.

I thought that was pretty cool.

Btw, whatever happened to Welly?

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 9 Apr 2019 at 6:31pm

Wormhole.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Tuesday, 9 Apr 2019 at 6:38pm

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Tuesday, 9 Apr 2019 at 6:38pm

Dunno about cool, but a while back in Timor Leste I saw a monkey mount a dog and start pumping it.

Must have been a regular occurrence because the dog didn’t seem fazed at all - both were pets of the same family.

Dirty little prick watched me while he was doing it.

We stopped feeding that monkey after that.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 9 Apr 2019 at 6:36pm

Did the monkey give you a wink?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 9 Apr 2019 at 6:36pm

Why ?

The monkey had needs. It sounds consensual.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Tuesday, 9 Apr 2019 at 6:40pm

The monkey seemed quite proud of itself. Real exhibitionist...
Blowin - good question. Probably unwarranted punishment.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 9 Apr 2019 at 7:03pm

Would have been cooler if the monkey had been wearing chaps.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 9 Apr 2019 at 7:07pm

No Fuck it. Monkeys are freaky.

So glad there’s no monkeys in Australia.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 9 Apr 2019 at 9:00pm

Me and a mate were in South Africa, it was flat, and we went to a park to look at some beasts, as you do.

At this particular place, behind some flimsy wire fencing, was the most magnificent lion we had ever seen. It was huge and majestic and truly conveyed what the whole king of the jungle thing was really all about. I remember its paws in particular were outrageous. Big enough to swipe your head off in one fell swoop if required.

This flimsy wire enclosure had a knee-high single electric wire running alongside it a coupla feet inside the perimeter. The outer wire fencing was that flimsy and spaced apart that you could easily stick your camera and almost your face and arm through it.

The majestic beast was walking alongside the electric wire inside, up and down its length, mere feet away. It was thrilling. Even moreso, trying to poke your head in and take a close-up action shot with ye olde film camera.

At some stage whilst trying to do this, my mobile phone went off . The ring-tone I had at the time was the old Ironside siren theme. You may remember it from Tarantino's use of it in the film Kill Bill.

Anyway, the lion freaked out on hearing this and spun around quickly, accidentally flicking the electric wire.

The subsequent roar was the most primal fear, gut wrenching noise I have ever heard. Talk about fight or flight, we instantly started to run. But then I checked myself, and looking back, saw the poor beast laid out on the ground near where it had brushed the wire.

God only knows, but I then decided to go back to the fence to get a real close-up photo of the beast in repose!

I stuck my head and camera through, and just as I was focussing, the lion, in a blink of surreal speed, stood up, stepped back, and charged!

It also let loose a growling hell noise that would be the last thing you would ever hear on this Earth.

Before I could even react, it stopped just before the electric wire, death claws distended, killer eyes focussed, growling that growl...and then my brain finally engaged, and I bounded away like a fucken gazelle! I may even have been hooting and hollering, totally involuntarily!

Anyhoo, sometime days later, after processing, I had this shot.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 9 Apr 2019 at 7:16pm

Bet you had to change your tampon after that one.

Tell us about that time at band camp.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Tuesday, 9 Apr 2019 at 7:44pm

tbb salutes factotum's beastly storytelling,scared us all from a world away...mummy!
National Geographic would surely give your arm & leg back for that photo!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 9 Apr 2019 at 7:54pm

And probably wash your undies.

nomad1's picture
nomad1's picture
nomad1 Tuesday, 9 Apr 2019 at 8:53pm

Saw Northern lights on friday night. Ive seen them before but not like this.

Was in the arctic on a splitboarding mission. We finished our day at 5pm just intime to make the train back to Narvik.. However, there was a delay meaning we had 4 hours with 6 stinky blokes crammed into an arctic railway station cabin. Finally back in town by 10. Had a pizza then started the 40 min drive back at around 11.15pm.
We knew there was a slim chance of Northern lights so had our eye out on the way back. We caught a glimpse but it was a bit hard to see with the car lights so pulled over.
It started off not so bright and just a relatively thin line above our heads. We stood for a while knowing it changes.. It did a little but wasnt getting brighter for about 20 mins.. until about over a 20second period it spread out and got super bright. It looked like someone was throwing some flouro flour dust over our heads.. unreal. The peak probably lasted 5mins or so.
The rest of the night there was a bits and pieces that were pretty spectacular but not quite the same.

Then there were these absolutely strange lights in the sky from the same direction as the lights.. had us scrambling to work out if this was some bizarre northern lights... my best guess was an alien invasion.

Next days news says it was rocket testing on a neighbouring island.
https://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/i/JoO5aX/skjoet-opp-raketter-fra-and...

Have a look at the pic in the middle of the article. It was like that but not moving.. picture that hovering over your head for 30mins..

Interesting thing is.... if not for the shitty 4 our delay due to the train, we'd have been inside probably sleeping by the time all this kicked off.

Strange night... the splitboarding until then was pretty cool too.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 9 Apr 2019 at 9:50pm

Nirvana, Guns n Roses, and now American Pie?!

You're all over it, Blowie, ya kook.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Tuesday, 9 Apr 2019 at 10:22pm

nomad1 so glad you got a double bunger light show, truly epic story.

Here are a few clear vidz of Nasa Azure light show test...More above on tbb link.

I have seen other vidz with the lights in the background just as you described.
So much footage I reckon nomad1 might score a match for your own keepsake.
Please to share as it would be amazing to also see the story through your eyes.
I reckon we'd all be blown away...Cheers!

nomad1's picture
nomad1's picture
nomad1 Wednesday, 10 Apr 2019 at 1:59am

Here are some photos... of the "Alien rockets" ive only got 1 shitty photo unfortunately.. phone was nearly dead so camera wasnt working properly. The footage from the links you sent are probably better.
Nthn lights, hard to capture it properly without a tripod etc but this one shows a rough idea.

Alien communications

Nthn Lights

Some snowboarding

Locals

Album- https://imgur.com/a/p91qdC4

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Wednesday, 10 Apr 2019 at 4:17am

Nomad1 is a kind soul for sharing your trippy postcard collection.
Beyond our wildest dreams is your world of wonder.

tbb was also fortunate to visit Norway ...All hell broke loose when we left.
'The Great Storm of 1987'(weather Bomb) whipped 215 km/hr winds/60ft waves
Cat 5 Hurricane-2nd most expensive weather event in UK & a good many died.

Waves barreling our mighty cross channel Ship. Other large ships were beached.
Captain Goodvibes instructed tbb to surf the Weather Bomb from up on deck.
Still visualize Ship Captain motioning to slit my throat...back down the hatch i go!

Flat earth English bombscape was warm welcome after 3 days in a Maelstrom.
Zombie apocalypse of no power & transit...25 million trees blocked all roads.
Recall slowing for workman in the dark & dodging desperados wanting our bus .
1987 Climate change event (Insurance bill) triggered Black Monday Stock Crash.
News:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4957356/Storm-no-one-forget.html
Recording:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Storm_of_1987
Review:
https://forms2.rms.com/rs/729-DJX-565/images/ws_1987_great_storm_20_retr...

Surviving to tell the tale is the flipside of the same coin with farside sojourns.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 10 Apr 2019 at 6:26am

Epic photos

Looks like you had a hell time

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 10 Apr 2019 at 9:26am

Strange coincidences, TBB. I landed in the UK during this!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/january/25/newsid_34200...

Worst storm since 1987!

My flight somehow wasn't diverted. And when I finally got through customs - they were pricks! - my relatives, who had arranged to pick me up, were nowhere to be seen. No phone answer either. I finally got through to a cousin who told me they were on the way but that the roads were chaos.

When they finally arrived hours later, and I strapped my boards on the roof, well, THAT was an interesting and long, long journey. Nearly got blown off the road numerous times!

Welcome to Blighty!

philosurphizingkerching's picture
philosurphizing... Wednesday, 10 Apr 2019 at 9:26am

It's called a Murmuration

It's the favourite symbol of cybernetic thinkers.
A symbol that represents a new type of thinking mind, a collective mind that designs and navigates into new and less corrupted realities.
Hopefully one day there will be recreational surfing organization called 'A Murmuration of Surfers'.

philosurphizing... Wednesday, 10 Apr 2019 at 9:30am

It's called a Murmuration

It's the favourite symbol of cybernetic thinkers.
A symbol that represents a new type of thinking mind, a collective mind that designs and navigates into new and less corrupted realities.
Hopefully one day there will be recreational surfing organization called 'A Murmuration of Surfers'.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Wednesday, 10 Apr 2019 at 12:45pm

Wow Nomad1! Wow. Takes my breath away looking at those photos, the day and the night.

Seems to be a 'seeing double' experience there. Was watching the space station fly overhead last time it came past Sydney, and for the first time saw the double vision thing, presumably an atmospheric phenomenon. Seen that thing 50+ times and never before had the double vision thing. Would say it was because I was souped up, but the wife saw it also.

Have the nthn or sthn lights on my bucket list, maybe go to South Island NZ rather than Norway. Tassie occasionally gets 'em too, but good Norway lights would be the best.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Wednesday, 10 Apr 2019 at 12:55pm

Philosurphizing - great clip, seen it a few times, will never get old. Seen only 10 million times, and who has seen it and not looked at it 10 plus times.

Cybernetic thinkers - erk!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 10 Apr 2019 at 12:57pm

Was very good.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 10 Apr 2019 at 1:25pm

That clip is almost exactly what I saw to a tee but probably not on that scale (see my post above).

To this day, it was one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

I took a shitty photo but I woudn't know how to get it from my phone to here.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 10 Apr 2019 at 2:00pm

From Zen..

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 10 Apr 2019 at 3:48pm

This would have to be close. Safari in South Africa a couple of years ago and on the last day came across this incredible large male leopard . We had been hoping to see him after hearing reports of his whereabouts the week we stayed in the National Park. I was speechless after 30 minutes of just sitting in the land rover 4-5 meters away from him.
Actually all the big cats we saw left me stunned at their size, arrogance, and confidence in their surroundings. You can tell the lions really do not give a fuck who you are when they stare right into your eyes.
Such an amazing experience

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 10 Apr 2019 at 3:51pm

Gf,amazing photo and experience by the sounds of it!

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 10 Apr 2019 at 4:08pm

Simba yeah they are just perfectly built for strength, speed and agility. Ultimate killers

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 10 Apr 2019 at 4:13pm

Speaking of wildlife: here's Maxy Walker feeling the wind through his whiskers this morning.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 10 Apr 2019 at 4:16pm

Speaking of killers!

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 10 Apr 2019 at 4:17pm

Boy and i thought that Cheater above looked unreal,ol maxy stylin in the passenger seat,lookin right at home..

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Wednesday, 10 Apr 2019 at 4:19pm

Gold Stu Max is feeling it.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 10 Apr 2019 at 4:20pm

Labrador Polar Bear cross?

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Wednesday, 10 Apr 2019 at 4:22pm

Awesome photos GF...leopards and cheetahs are my favourite animals in the world.
Must have been exhilarating being that close!