McTavish Internship

ryder's picture
ryder started the topic in Tuesday, 17 Feb 2015 at 3:07pm

anybody want to work for free at mctavish for 3 months?
http://www.mctavish.com.au/blog/post/internship-available

so an internship is another name for scab labour?

ad reads as follows,

Are you looking for a foot in the door in the surf industry?
We have a fun and challenging internship opportunity for the right applicant at our Byron Bay headquarters.
If you're an eager to learn and driven person wanting to work in the surf industry we have what you're looking for.
You'll be answering to, and learning from our Creative Director and Sales Manager but working closely with the entire McTavish organisation from factory, sales, marketing and management staff on a range of new projects, as well as performing day-to-day administration duties.

Main duties include but are not exclusive to:
General office administration
Assist with event organisation, promotion and management
Maintain website (processing orders, adding and removing stock)
Answering phone/general customer service
Photographing and uploading product imagery
Photo retouching and uploading

The position is unpaid and will run for 3 months beginning Feb 14th.

Please send your resumé to [email protected]

Only successful applicant will be contacted.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 24 Feb 2015 at 11:46am

3 mths unpaid ...you must be fucking joking....not a surfboard on your online site under $1000.......most are $1500 +....and you want 3 mths free labour without handing out a cent in wages...
Goddam shame on you Jehovah BoB

you will be learning from our creative director and sales manager...
yeh learning how to rort and scam !

Fair work Ombudsman : unpaid work ...Mctavish sounds like employment to me...what do you think Whaaaat ?

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Tuesday, 24 Feb 2015 at 11:48am

Stu, get on the phone, I'd like to hear how they put a spin on this.

You can ask the hard questions, don't think they have any link to Patagonia.;-))

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Tuesday, 24 Feb 2015 at 12:04pm

Anyone want to do an unpaid internship at my house. You will learn how to mow lawns, vacuum, mop and wash clothes and dishes.
Pre requisite is you must be a skinny blonde with good assets must sign a waiver that there will be no harassment claims.
Good one Bob

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Tuesday, 24 Feb 2015 at 1:21pm

Wonder if it's legal, not a good deal.

ryder's picture
ryder's picture
ryder Tuesday, 24 Feb 2015 at 2:20pm

in reference to the titles of his recent books; "Stoked" and "More Stoked" hey Bob

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 24 Feb 2015 at 2:20pm

About as legal as stowing away on a ship to go surfing in Hawaii.

clif's picture
clif's picture
clif Tuesday, 24 Feb 2015 at 4:34pm

People will literally fight for this. It's the way of the future. Too few gigs and people now wanting to work for free. The enslavement is complete.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Tuesday, 24 Feb 2015 at 6:09pm

Yeah come work for me, I'll give you nothing but if you give me your all, after 3 months if we like you we'll put you on minimum wage and if you last a few years you will be one of us and you can treat the next intern like something on the sole of your shoe, the cycle continues.

Wonder if the prick gets government funding.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Tuesday, 24 Feb 2015 at 6:12pm

please send your protest emails to bob at the email in the first post.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 24 Feb 2015 at 6:46pm

Been a long time since Bob McTavish pulled any strings at McTavish surfboards. Sold the name eons ago.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Tuesday, 24 Feb 2015 at 7:20pm

Well ring the creative administrator stu, it's still the surf industry and your a surf journalist, it's a story that needs to be investigated

Fuck Jimmy Olson would be all over this scoop like a rash.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Tuesday, 24 Feb 2015 at 7:32pm
stunet wrote:

Been a long time since Bob McTavish pulled any strings at McTavish surfboards. Sold the name eons ago.

Regardless, if my name was associated with this ad, I'd be beyond embarrassed.
Disgraceful.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 24 Feb 2015 at 7:44pm

For a extra $400 on top of your custom board price BoB will watch you surf then allow you to watch him shape your custom surfboard and then sign it for you.
Shit only $400 extra !

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 24 Feb 2015 at 7:47pm

shaun wrote:

Well ring the creative administrator stu, it's still the surf industry and your a surf journalist, it's a story that needs to be investigated Fuck Jimmy Olson would be all over this scoop like a rash.

Is it even a story? You may think it morally questionable, I'm sure plenty of people do, but it's not illegal and goes on more than you must realise. Hell, they're telling the applicants up front they won't be paid, not like they're being disengenuous about it.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Tuesday, 24 Feb 2015 at 7:54pm

You've got blind boy on an internship haven't you.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 24 Feb 2015 at 7:57pm

The worst part is that it's described as the surf industry. Unless your a surf guide, or a pro, or someone that gets to design and test product or a journalist on junkets then you may as well be doing something that pays and then going surfing.

Clerical duties are clerical duties regardless of which posters are on the office wall.

What could be more surfy hardcore than admin ?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 24 Feb 2015 at 8:00pm

shaun wrote:

You've got blind boy on an internship haven't you.

Yes, a paid internship.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Tuesday, 24 Feb 2015 at 8:10pm

Peanuts

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 24 Feb 2015 at 8:14pm

Good grief!

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 24 Feb 2015 at 8:51pm

Very shabby manouevre from a company that sells shit tons of boards including heaps made in Asia .

Bob is there every day, he should know what is happening. it's got his name all over it. Pleading ignorance or shoulder shrugging is a bad look.

Bob if you are reading this a response would be appropriate.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Tuesday, 24 Feb 2015 at 8:58pm

Agree with everything , free ride and blowin.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Tuesday, 24 Feb 2015 at 8:59pm

Freebie, your a journalist aren't you, you make the call, this could be your big break.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Tuesday, 24 Feb 2015 at 9:02pm

If you've read bobbys books, you know he only really thinks of Bob.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 24 Feb 2015 at 9:04pm
stunet wrote:

Good grief!

Nice one Charlie Brown

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Tuesday, 24 Feb 2015 at 9:09pm

Are you sure it's not illegal stu? 3months, how are you meant to live

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 24 Feb 2015 at 9:16pm

shaun wrote:

Are you sure it's not illegal stu? 3months, how are you meant to live

Steal stock and hock it?

Nah, look it up. Internships are very popular in America, it's considered legit business practice and taken seriously - intern gets experience, company imparts knowledge. It's slowly creeping into Australian culture, more prevalent in some industries than others. 

A popular surf magazine advertised an internship just recently.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Tuesday, 24 Feb 2015 at 9:28pm

I understand internships to an extent. All the duties involved here can be gathered from paying jobs in any retail area that even 15 yr olds can apply for.
If you're going to do it for free, do it for a non-profit organisation. Would look better on your resume than this shit. This on your resume will tell prospective employers simply that you are willing to be exploited.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 25 Feb 2015 at 6:15am

Stu's right, half the tripe written on The Inertia is done by dewey eyed internships.
Surf media has always paid peanuts, now in this age of free content they've realised they can actually get people do do it for free.
Getting a new shop monkey for free is just an upgrade on that thinking.
Clif's right, people will be fighting for it.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Wednesday, 25 Feb 2015 at 8:00am

Gee, that's sad. The guy I worked for in the surf industry when I was younger treated all his workers well and when he fell on hard times we stepped up and looked after him, how the fuck can someone pay a person nothing and look him in the eye. It may be normal for America, but why do we have to follow their lead. Yeah Stu, you wouldn't think twice about stealing stock would you, talk about starting at the bottom. At bobs it's the bottom of the ocean, struggling to keep your head obove water for the first 3 months.

ryder's picture
ryder's picture
ryder Wednesday, 25 Feb 2015 at 9:09am

this is not an internship as such. the "lucky intern" could easily be given the title of assistant shop manager which includes event promotion, organisation & management.

also, the "lucky intern" is required for customer service - which means selling boards etc.

who in sales works for free?

it must make the "lucky intern" feel all warm and fuzzy inside when they go home at the end of the day after selling a few boards (lets say $2-3K of stock per day) and are not getting paid a single cent for their work.

it's just blatantly wrong imo

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 25 Feb 2015 at 9:31am

Here is the official government line on unpaid internships, from the Fair Work Ombudman.

An unpaid work experience arrangement or unpaid internship can be lawful if it is a vocational placement (i.e. formal work experience arrangement that is part of an education or training course) or if there is no employment relationship found to exist. In particular:

• the person must not be doing “productive” work 
  • the main benefit of the arrangement should be to the person doing the placement, and 
  • it must be clear that the person is receiving a meaningful learning experience, training or skill development. 

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/about-us/policies-and-guides/fact-sheets/unpaid-work/unpaid-work

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 25 Feb 2015 at 9:32am
shaun wrote:

Yeah Stu, you wouldn't think twice about stealing stock would you, talk about starting at the bottom.

What are you insinuating Shaun?

carlton st's picture
carlton st's picture
carlton st Wednesday, 25 Feb 2015 at 9:59am

I worked in Vocational Education, mainly in government schools for many years and it is illegal . Work based experience as part of a qualification and where the institution takes on some of the duty of care is great and above board. The media and fashion industries in particular, have bee ripping people off for years. For them it is seen as the accepted pathway to employment.

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Wednesday, 25 Feb 2015 at 11:21am
thermalben wrote:
shaun wrote:

Yeah Stu, you wouldn't think twice about stealing stock would you, talk about starting at the bottom.

What are you insinuating Shaun?

Don't get all defensive Benny, shaun just meant that after working for a few weeks for nothing ANYONE would tempted to to conceal some stock in their jacket as they left for the night, not pointng the finger at stu, WHOSE IDEA IT WAS .

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 25 Feb 2015 at 11:27am

Who was also clearly joking. You're walking a fine line Shaun/Morris.

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Wednesday, 25 Feb 2015 at 11:38am

Geez Stu, I was in no way insinuating you would thieve stuff, but I did mean that anyone treated in such a way might be tempted to. And yes I knew that you were obviously joking and I put like I would if I was having a conversation around a campfire.
You bought it up and I said yeah you'd be tempted(chuckle) simple version.

Fuck!!

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Wednesday, 25 Feb 2015 at 11:55am

Ahh my apologies stu as morris explained in his rather awkward way, I was not insinuating anything.
Also apologies for Morris's rant, please understand he's from Gippsland and last month he lost his favourite goat to dingoes and has not had sex since. How are those two things related? I'm to scared to ask.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 25 Feb 2015 at 11:56am

Email sent.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Wednesday, 25 Feb 2015 at 12:22pm

Stu, i was not personally attacking you, I'm sorry I can't explain it properly it was just worded wrong.
Personally I think you guys run a good forum compared to many others, when I have questioned you on any matter, it has been mainly tongue and cheek, how could you take me seriously, I don't.
Do what you have to it's your forum.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 25 Feb 2015 at 12:47pm

Not much surf around.....!
That scab grew pretty quick;)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 25 Feb 2015 at 12:50pm
Wharfjunkie wrote:

Anyone want to do an unpaid internship at my house. You will learn how to mow lawns, vacuum, mop and wash clothes and dishes.
Pre requisite is you must be a skinny blonde with good assets must sign a waiver that there will be no harassment claims.
Good one Bob

Gold

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Wednesday, 25 Feb 2015 at 12:59pm

Yes welly, that's why people rarely get attacked by shark's down here cause we rarely get to go surfing.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 25 Feb 2015 at 2:45pm

Did Uplift get banned?

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Wednesday, 25 Feb 2015 at 2:55pm

I actually offered myself an internship 40 years ago.....still trying to get paid but the boss is so tight he says myinternship will be finished in another decade......and for that matter so might I??

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Wednesday, 25 Feb 2015 at 3:01pm

We don't pay our interns. Most of them are Asian looking to claim work experience to stay in the country.

These days because Uni students are struggling so much to find employment they're having to work for free in order to get "experience" on their resume.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 25 Feb 2015 at 5:12pm
freeride76 wrote:

Did Uplift get banned?

I hope not, he is different and thats what makes this world go around.
Come back Uppity;)

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Wednesday, 25 Feb 2015 at 7:16pm

Or not ......

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 25 Feb 2015 at 7:16pm

Most internships are just another way for those who already have wealth and power to exploit those who don't.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 25 Feb 2015 at 7:35pm

freeride76 wrote:

Did Uplift get banned?

Nah, not even warned. We were commenting on his absence the other day.

Bet he's giving the Nautilus a hammering.

stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2 Wednesday, 25 Feb 2015 at 7:52pm
stunet wrote:

freeride76 wrote:

Did Uplift get banned?

Nah, not even warned. We were commenting on his absence the other day.

Bet he's giving the Nautilus a hammering.

Yep, he's certainly giving it a hammering. Didn't know he'd named it though.