sally fitzgibbons is hawian?

woohcs's picture
woohcs started the topic in Thursday, 10 Oct 2013 at 5:52am

during yesterdays Portugal heats they brought up the women's results...hawian flag next to sallys name...am I missing something, I'm sure I"ve seen her waving aussie flag after winning?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 10 Oct 2013 at 7:21am

Definitely Aussie woohcs, born down the NSW South Coast and lives in Gerroa. Must of been a tech glitch.

asharper001's picture
asharper001's picture
asharper001 Thursday, 10 Oct 2013 at 9:59am

Been quite a few technical glitches during this contest, that hopefully they can fix for day two. Can't remember which top 10 Aussie mens competitor, but they had him shown on the rankings as Brazilian. They also had the Brazilian Alejo Muniz as Hawaiian. Now let's start on the camera work........they appear to have 30+ camera's showing every single angle conceivable which is not focused on the surfing. So far I have seen dog-cam, tatt-cam, distant scenery cam x 2, G-String cam, non-competitor walking with surfboard cam x 3, 4 different cams focusing on different parts of the scaffolding, crown cam x 5, competitors area cam x 3, Kelly Slater's bald head cam, and at one point a cam focus on a nudie picture on somebody's smart phone (or was that Kelly's head again looking like a left buttock?). With all of these cam's, you would think that they could put a dedicated cam on each competitor (Red, Blue, White), a cam each up and down the beach for looking into a left and right barrel, and maybe a slightly pulled back cam showing the surfer who looks for airs and such. Unfortunately, the production company (or whoever is in charge of this debacle) would rather miss waves such as Sebastian Zietz's last minute air to win his heat (completely overlooked in the heat highlights post heat as well). The Kerr/Flores/Muniz heat showed J-Flo paddling for a wave, but then the producer went back to a wide beach shot way way back from the scaffolding, then returned to show J-Flo paddling back after his wave. These are just a couple of examples, there were a few more. Not to mention, Mick Fanning paddling for a wave but they cut to a promo of Mick's latest junket with Taylor Steele. In other contests (with sponsors that actually appear to give a shit about the audience) the commentators would do the cross, but pull out of the cross and hold off the promo for a few seconds if they see a competitor paddle for a wave, then return to starting the promo post wave. The Rip-Curl site isn't much better on the coverage. Where are the Heats-On-Demand? Why isn't heat 12 updated in the results sections (yes, I watched and know who won but for those who didn't/couldn't watch due to other commitments??????). I love watching surfing (comps and free-surfing) but as part of the audience the sponsors are trying to reach, this production has been underwhelming so far and has frustrated me no end at times which leaves a bad impression for what they are trying to sell.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 10 Oct 2013 at 10:16am

"Can't remember which top 10 Aussie mens competitor, but they had him shown on the rankings as Brazilian. "

It was o pequeno Yadin Nicol.

"With all of these cam's, you would think that they could put a dedicated cam on each competitor (Red, Blue, White), a cam each up and down the beach for looking into a left and right barrel, and maybe a slightly pulled back cam showing the surfer who looks for airs and such."

+1

asharper001's picture
asharper001's picture
asharper001 Thursday, 10 Oct 2013 at 10:20am

Thank's Stu, maybe I have been hoping that Yadin would be top 10. Maybe...one day....Go Yadin!!!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 10 Oct 2013 at 10:21am

You forgot Cam-Cam.

The one where the camera man is focussed on another camera man.

I don't know if it's me here but both at work and home my pc starts and stops with the webcast and I can't get it at all on my phone. Seems like every time a wave starts, it freezes- very frustrating.

I switched off and watched Big Cat Diary on tele.

asharper001's picture
asharper001's picture
asharper001 Thursday, 10 Oct 2013 at 10:52am

Well spotted, did forget the Cam-Cam.

Not a bad show, Big Cat Diary. More interesting than the last six heats of the day and certainly more educational.

bushido's picture
bushido's picture
bushido Thursday, 10 Oct 2013 at 2:13pm

Recorded the movie Savages, definitely be watching that for a couple of hours instead of the Portugal event.

I watched a few heats of France it was very underwhelming.

whaaaat's picture
whaaaat's picture
whaaaat Thursday, 10 Oct 2013 at 4:26pm

Passsed on the webcast. Instead, I got out my scrapbook and re-read the restraining order that Sally took out on me.

All very depressing. All I want to be is her special besty.

Why are people so unkind?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 10 Oct 2013 at 5:43pm

Your writing much belies your age whaaaat. You look a lot younger in your vid to Sally (codename- Briona) than you sound in your posts.

I have to say, kidnappng her puppy aint gonna get you anywhere either.

whaaaat's picture
whaaaat's picture
whaaaat Thursday, 10 Oct 2013 at 6:52pm

Zen, phew!! For a scary moment there I thought you'd posted the link to my other clip, the creepy one.

I love you, Baby Girl.

PS. And you, too, Sal.