Indo: what to take

willywag's picture
willywag started the topic in Tuesday, 20 Jan 2015 at 8:56pm

Just booked my first surf trip to indo, Sumatra ( land based), surf camp for September. Probably my searching skills but can't seem to find a thread that gives me the info I'm after. I'm sure there's one on here somewhere, links anyone?
Just want to know the basic shit I need to take and what you would not leave at home. The area I'm going is said to be pretty remote, so going down the shop for supplies might be an issue.
Like, What do you pack in your first aid kit,? how much wax to take for myself and to give away? just a small back pack with boardies, t shirts, essentials etc and your board bag? And anything else I should think about? I like travelling light but don't want to overlook something and regret not taking it. I've got the board info sussed.
Won't be doing much except surfing and having a few beers hopefully so won't need much.

Cheers

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 at 12:10am

If its Krui you're heading to they have a couple of supermarkets now and a surf shop (or two?) Theres a pretty good ding repair guy last time i was there and can fly straight in to town from jakarta now. For standups you get stung a lot, free for lids.
You can buy wax, towel, a lot of stuff but not many things like booties which you should use at some spots.
I would find out as much about the spots from people who stayed there as well.but youll pick that up quickly.
Wax around 1 to 2 blocks a weeks is probably enough.
The internet phones are sometimes tricky or shit with indo net providers and different cards suit different regions.
There is a couple of net cafes in town but if you plan to stay around jimmies youll want an internet phone or netbook etc.
Glasses and sunnies youll need for riding on bikes. So many bugs in krui area.

willywag's picture
willywag's picture
willywag Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 at 7:21am

Cheers groundswell, have checked the web site of the place we are staying and they have a helpful list of stuff to take.? Been thinking about tropical ulcers, read on here to take raw honey so I'll have to go and find some, also vas or paw paw cream for the chaffing I am sure to get surfing in boardies for two weeks. Thought I'd take:
Boards x 3
Board Ding repair stuff
A few leggies
Couple of boardies
Couple of t shirts
Rashie
Booties
Long sleeve shirt and long pants
Wax
Some sort of first aid kit
Phone and charger and adaptor
Balls and good vibes

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 at 7:27am

Any idea what the cost is of taking 3 boards ?
2 should be enough.

willywag's picture
willywag's picture
willywag Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 at 8:42am

Yet to confirm flights/prices etc udo but the thought has crossed my mind. I have read that 2 boards is enough but also heard that you should take a fun board, normal short board and a step up. I'm no gun surfer and I won't be charging the real heavy stuff (if we get it), but i don't want to be under gunned if the swell is bigger and after a week or so my confidence has got to a stage where I feel comfortable to take a few bigger ones on.
On another point, I heard that travel insurance mobs wont insure you on mopeds if you don't have a motorbike licence in Oz? I'm not licensed to ride a bike here but I thought I could ride a moped under 50cc on the roads with a car licence? By the sounds of it, the roads are rough so I'd hate to come a gutsa and not be insured. I am yet to investigate travel insurance either.

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 at 11:07am

I got back from 2 weeks in bali and I only took 2 boards. a 5"11 (fun board) that could handle up to head height and then a 6"3 JS Forget me not for if it got overhead. I used both in both conditions and never found myself wishing I had another board.

Things you might wanna add is an extra set of fins, and a fin key. My brother ripped out a fin getting out on Nusa Lembongan. Also see if you can find the Banana Boat 50+ spf spray on shit. Its non-greasy and super water resistant.

RE: Moto's -- contrary to popular belief its actually not too bad riding scooters over there.. I mean my old girl who's 53 rode from nusa dua to uluwatu and back a return trip of about 2.5 hours and it was on New Years day so the traffic was chaos. she hasn't ridden a bike in 25 years.

They seem to notice white fellas on bikes and give you extra room. You wont get a 50cc scooter, they're all 75 or 125 cc. Yes you're right that you wont be covered for insurance, but just keep your wits about you, dont drive pissed, dont push the limits and you'll be sweet. Its a great way to explore.

the_varsity's picture
the_varsity's picture
the_varsity Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 at 5:58pm

I would add antibiotic powder to that list (that's about it medical-wise) and a few sets of fins instead of more boards (as ACB suggests). - e.g. bigger fins for bigger waves?! honey and all that other stuff sounds weird and over-the-top - buy a pair of good Hurley no-seam boardies that don't rash....take as little as possible and improvise. If you are going for a longer trip - i.e. over 10 + days i'd also add some sort of vitamin tablets / supplements etc as you will eat different food etc to home and they might help with energy levels if you go from average surfing to 3+ surfs a day all day...

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 at 6:41pm

I've carted so much useless shit with me on my early Indo trips. I'm pretty good at taking only the essentials now.

Boards x 2: your normal board at home and a step up. I'm a massive advocate of being overgunned not undergunned in Indo, but that's just me.
Wax x 3: you're probably going to lose some, give it away, let it melt.
Two leggies.
Back up set of fins.
Allen-key or FSC tool: I gave up on fin keys a long time ago... too many rounded screws.
Zinc and sunscreen of choice.
Two boardies (in case you trash one of them on the reef)
Jeans
Sock and blundstones and gloves (If you are going to be bike based closed in shoes are a pretty good idea - most people don't bother, but if you fall off your feet and hands are often the first casualties).
Rashie - much colder than you might think at times.
Long shirt, few t-shirts.
A big, long book.

Other than that you can get almost anything else nearby. I never bother with a first aid kit if I am going to any named spots, they have always had shit lying around. But if you already have it at home, then bring it with you anyway. Indomaret stocks almost anything you might need, and any apotek has antibiotics.

Definitely get insurance. If you don't, be prepared to accept upwards of $100K in bills if you crack your dome on the reef and need to evacuated. Should be less than $200 or so for a couple of weeks and covered for full evacuation.

Re; bikes. They are fine, until you crash. There are more than a handful of surfers sitting out 6 years plus in Indo jails for killing people in road accidents. Make sure you know how to handle a bike, and if you decide to learn there just don't get cocky or go beyond your limits to keep up with others. It's about the most 'uncool' advice I could give, but I've seen with my own eyes a few deaths on roads in Indo and seen countless hideous wounds from simple things like kicking a rock without shoes on, falling off at low speed or slipping on the mud.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 at 7:19pm

I'd also recommend taking a camera too. Whether it's just your phone, go pro, or some stylin dslr. It's always good to get back and a few weeks or months later your flicking through the pics reminiscing about the good times you had. Also good for when your an old prick too I reckon, too look back on and remember the places you've seen and waves you surfed

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 at 7:20pm

Two boards is sweet too i reckon. Unless your gunna have a crack when it's solid

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 at 7:57pm

Condoms ........those indo ones don't fit Aussie thoroughbreds.

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 at 10:53pm

Tablets such as Imodium, because sure as shit if you get the runs, it'll be at night when the shops aren't open and you'll be glad you've got them to help bung you up!
Some adhesive tape for injuries to yourself and some solar res for injuries to your board.

willywag's picture
willywag's picture
willywag Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 at 11:00pm

Awesome fellas, good work. Boards I was gonna take was my 6.3 fish( love it) probably could have bought shorter, my hypto 6,2 ( probably should have gone a 6 footer). Looking for a 6'6 as my step up. Got other boards but all have glassed in fins. Maybe settle with what I've hot, I'm no hell man.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Thursday, 22 Jan 2015 at 9:32am

Bikes: I've had fun cruising around on scooters on the Bukit thinking all is good, until I saw 2 crashes in one day. Lesson> It's all good until the moment it isn't.

I'm planning 2+ months in Sumatra from mid April, cannot wait!!!!

ant01's picture
ant01's picture
ant01 Thursday, 22 Jan 2015 at 1:21pm

My advice on Bikes in Indo (particularly Bali) is to stay off them.
I haven't ridden a Bike in Indo in the last 15 years after a couple of incidents.
One was where a local Driver who I hired and kept asking to slow down, hit a local on a Bike in Jimbaran and killed him, stone dead.
Another was when I saw a Tourist couple on a Bike go under a fully loaded Tip Truck on the Bypass road and were crushed to death. Might seem all good at the time, but at shitloads of people end up in Sanglah Hospital every day as a result of Bike accidents.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Thursday, 22 Jan 2015 at 1:48pm

So cheap to hire a car and driver and safer.

Joel Eugene Slater-Burrows's picture
Joel Eugene Slater-Burrows's picture
Joel Eugene Sla... Thursday, 22 Jan 2015 at 6:11pm

Don't know whats its like in the rest of Indo but I feel safer on a scooter in Bali than I ever have on a motorcycle or pushbike in Australia. Been with drivers in Bali that have scared the living shit out of me, overtaking around/before corners and just generally driving like madmen. I think you are much better off having some control over your fate than putting your safety in the hands of a stranger, just keep your wits about you, don't drink drive and don't ride like an idiot and you should be fine.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 8 Aug 2019 at 10:20pm

Don't forget your fake documents and have a little spare cash for bribes.

The bloke above should be able to sort you out.