Pollution Levels on Sydney Beaches

lawsy's picture
lawsy started the topic in Friday, 10 Feb 2012 at 1:49pm

Hey All,

I went for a paddle with a mate the other day at Longreef near Dee Why and he told me quite casually that the water in Dee Why lagoon is more polluted than the Ganges river in india... You know the one with all the human waste and worse in it...

It had been raining heavy that day as it has been in Sydney and when we walked past where the lagoon met the ocean there was a distinct smell of sh!t....

Anyone know how bad it is really or do I not want to know?

Cheers

James

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 10 Feb 2012 at 3:19pm

Worse than the Ganges? Yeah, I reckon that might be stretching it, James. Still, Sydney is prone to filthy water and nearly always after rain. After a period of heavy showers the stormwater system gets inundated and the Sewerage Treatment Plants can't handle the volume. I know at Cronulla STP they've got an overflow pond in the dunes just near the new Greenhills housing subdivision. Not sure about the other STP's (North Head, Bondi, Maroubra). Once the overflow pond is full then raw sewage flows into the ocean.

As for the lagoons - Manly, Curly, Dee Why, Narra - I imagine they are reliant on upstream conditions. Not sure why you'd be able to smell shit at the entrance to Dee Why lagoon though.

Beachwatch has daily details on the beach pollution: www.environment.nsw.gov.au/beachapp/default.aspx

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Friday, 10 Feb 2012 at 4:31pm

stu, maybe you could get some photos? don't forget the crucial placement of the ke11y posters and roxy stickers.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 10 Feb 2012 at 4:59pm

Got nought to do with me Sid. Take that fight somewhere else.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Friday, 10 Feb 2012 at 5:36pm

Sidthefish, standing up for the poor global surf industries again, hop on your jet ski and keep riding out to sea mate.

backbeach's picture
backbeach's picture
backbeach Saturday, 11 Feb 2012 at 9:41pm

WTF the ocean is polluted, maybe a giant dirty overpopulated city run off may have something to do with it

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Saturday, 11 Feb 2012 at 9:50pm

DY lagoon has been a stinking toxic cess pit for as long as I can remember. I think it is the result of run off from the old industrial area out the back that drained into it and never was cleaned up and has settled. Every time it rains it stirs it up hence the racid smell.

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Sunday, 12 Feb 2012 at 12:05am

fitz/BB, don't be ridiculous, it's the Surf Industry's FAULT.

mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt Sunday, 12 Feb 2012 at 6:48am

its hardly surprising at sydney is a dump to begin with

jackk123's picture
jackk123's picture
jackk123 Tuesday, 7 Jun 2016 at 10:10pm

pollution level is increasing in sydney due to climate change and global warming.

http://www.environmentalaffairs.tk/ep.html

KaylaHeathcote's picture
KaylaHeathcote's picture
KaylaHeathcote Monday, 8 May 2017 at 8:35pm

Dee Why lagoon has been polluted for as long as I can remember and I used to live in the area. I think it is the result of run off from the old industrial area out the back that drained into it and never was cleaned up and has settled. Also the run off from the current residential areas that surround it today. It is a serious issue.

btw: I do have a degree in coastal geographical management strategies.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 8 May 2017 at 9:20pm

Dee Why lagoon may be polluted but it is of lesser concern than Curl Curl. That lagoon is surrounded on both sides by an old landfill site that served the Brookvale industrial area during the 1960s. There was no control on what was dumped there. Large quantities of leachate run into the lagoon with every decent fall of rain. I am amazed, not only that people let their dogs swim in it but that people actually try to ride the (rather pathetic) standing wave that forms when it runs out. " Hey let's go play in some really toxic shit and see if we glow in the dark later!"

terrance's picture
terrance's picture
terrance Monday, 8 May 2017 at 10:17pm

Lawsy, I think your mate Hadsey was taking advantage of you. Probably not the first time either I suspect, and I doubt, definitely not the last.
All waterways and drains that lead to the ocean will have a level of pollution, depending on the location, city or regional. But the Ganges? No. Travel more Lawsy.
I think blindboy is more on the money re Curl Curl lagoon / Glendale Creek catchment area, ran through the industrial area of Brookvale. No where near as an industrial area as it once was, but add in the old landfill site from the 1930s to 1950s, it is/was a much bigger issue than Dee Why lagoon that was feed by South Creek, a very small industrial area.
A bigger concern would be Botany Bay/Georges River/Prospect Creek area, and Sydney Harbour / Parramatta River catchment area (especially west of Concord Road) that had very heavy industry in the past.
But the quality of the water at beaches in Sydney has improved significantly over the years for a range of reasons, speak to the old timers who use to swim on Sydney beaches with clumps of poo and dunny paper before improvements to the ocean outfalls.
If your concerned, check the Beachwatch website.
Just as concerning is the water quality in regional areas, especially after flooding upstream, where pesticides and animal waste hit the creeks and rivers then head out to sea. I was chatting once with a country GP from the mid north coast and she said the increase in patients in her coastal practice post an upstream flooding was common and she wouldn't let her kids in the ocean for about a week after the flood water had left the coast.

Luke G's picture
Luke G's picture
Luke G Tuesday, 9 May 2017 at 8:05am

lmfao, Sydney surfers are so uptight.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Wednesday, 11 Oct 2017 at 6:39pm

Gold Coast [BEACH CLOSURE]
Coolangatta Creek is off limits due to PFAS runoff from GC Airport
Moreton Bay was recently prohibited due to PFAS run off from Brisbane Airport

Air corporations & Australian Defense continue to wage Chemical Warfare on our nation.
Over 70 townsites are in lockdown. Clean drinking water is running low.
North Korea a non chemical warfare signatory is offering a kinder solution.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Wednesday, 11 Oct 2017 at 8:12pm

Kirra [BEACH CLOSURE] @ Coolangatta Creek
World Surf Reserve [CLOSED]
North Kirra is most certainly on WSR Map.

Similar Airline PAFS contamination of Moreton Bay Marine Park.
Compensated the local commercial fishermen just for dipping a rod.

Compensation must equally apply to local commercial WSR operators soaking in it.

David and Goliath test case for fellow Swellnetonian/ WSR chair AndyM.
As media barons bungle you into corporate limo don't forget you owe us a Swellnet Scoop.