begginner sufers, endangering others

josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2 started the topic in Friday, 3 Dec 2010 at 10:14am

It seems to me that everyday more and more beginners are in the line up. I do encourage people to start surfing however when they are riding huge 9 foot fiber glass boards and cant control them in the middle of a crowded lineup, it puts others in danger, a few hours before I rote this i was surfing Bondi and some tourist who was ride a huge fiber glass board, bailed right in front of me and the board hit me in the back of the head. Personally i think that there should be a designated place for learners. It's not that bad everywhere, when i went to Avoca beach i don't think i saw a single noob.

redbeard's picture
redbeard's picture
redbeard Friday, 3 Dec 2010 at 10:55am

there is a designated place, mushy crap surf or anywhere its easy to paddle out I know sometimes if it's been a while any wave will do but if you surf waves of consequence or breaks with a bit of power you will find a distinct lack of noobs in the lineup

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Friday, 3 Dec 2010 at 8:21pm

Sometimes out of desperation we have to surf crap waves just to keep the arms from rusting, when you venture out to these places, expect to be run over keep your eyes open. I have never surfed bondi but from what I have seen this is one of those places , it's all just splash and giggle.

vlad's picture
vlad's picture
vlad Saturday, 4 Dec 2010 at 12:30pm

As dangerous as some folk are - This poor country is already swamped with to many rules, we don't need anymore (ever)

rubber-bob's picture
rubber-bob's picture
rubber-bob Sunday, 5 Dec 2010 at 9:24pm

I'm with vlad. There are to many rules and too many wankers wanting to make more.
Josh you have three choices ...
1. Find somewhere quiet to surf
2. Handle the kooks
3. Quit surfing
Hopefully you will do the latter, then there will be one less wannabe rule maker in the surf :)

do-what-feels-right's picture
do-what-feels-right's picture
do-what-feels-right Sunday, 5 Dec 2010 at 10:26pm

Well said Vlad and Rubber-Bob. If you dont like it Josh thats just too bad.

The ocean isn't reserved for experienced surfers, it is for everyone who lives on this planet no matter what craft they ride, if they want to swim/bodysurf or how good they are. It is people who have a superiority complex over others that casue problems and write total crap like you have.

If you dont like crowds and/or beginners then its just too bad and you have to move if you want nobody near you (or no beginner boards etc). It is not up to the people around you to adjust their actions and choices because of what you want.

Go somewhere else or stop moaning about it.

evo62's picture
evo62's picture
evo62 Monday, 6 Dec 2010 at 2:20am

I guess part of being an experienced surfer is awareness of what's going on around you. The crowds are here to stay, learners or not, you gotta adjust the situation. If you can see they are a noob you should give them a wide berth. It's common sense

tucksin's picture
tucksin's picture
tucksin Wednesday, 8 Dec 2010 at 12:48pm

i agree with josh to a certain extent.. i say good on the learners for gettin out there enjoying the greatest feeling on earth thats great that more and more people wanna learn to surf. BUT agree with what josh is saying in terms of learners f*CKING some breaks up.. if ur learning anyway what is the point of going out at a wave that has more consequence or more power, you will learn nothing out there except how to get smashed.. just cause you read in the magazines or when ur walking down the street that such n such wave has been firing and has been barreling off its titties does not mean that u should go out there. go surf some slop on an open beachy until u r good enough to surf that wave.. if u wanna paddle out n check the wave sit in the channel n watch how its done.. it seems all the learners sit in the zone so when u finially get ur wave all ur doing is dodging people.. it is inevitable that crowds r getting ridiculous around the world hwoever stick to the spots where u can actually LEARN something. u dont go to a snowboard mountain n hit the 100ft jump straight away if ur learning, or go scuba diving if youve never learnt how to swim before do ya...

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Wednesday, 8 Dec 2010 at 1:21pm

I'm definately not against masses learning to surf because we all did it and have to start somewhere. Out of all those that start, only a percentage actually stick it out and continue. How many times have you heard 'I tried surfing once'?
What I do object to, is those surf schools who's operators are only in it for the cash (and other benefits) that don't teach basic surf etiquette. It's not exectly a rule, but something that keeps order in the lineup so all can enjoy. Without this it just becomes a free for all shit fight that becomes dangerous. I know it was one of the first things I learnt about surfing before I even attempted paddling out oh so many years ago!!

thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber Thursday, 9 Dec 2010 at 9:29am

its a bit hard to feel sorry for you josh. you were out at the most known beach in australia.

you should really expect to get hit in the head every now and again

jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949 Thursday, 9 Dec 2010 at 10:35am

He's got to be joshing complaining about Bondi and overcrowding with learner> It's the publishing of beach culture to share with tourist at tourist spots that creates crowds , the heavier spots attract less but high levels of surfing ability except of course the superbank both crowds and a spot group of ability.
Hire JBay and let him thin the learners out. Meh

pepe's picture
pepe's picture
pepe Thursday, 9 Dec 2010 at 12:52pm

Jaff, ya back! Missed your wit mate.

Josh - you've contradicted ya-self buddy. Why encourage people to start surfing (opening line) then have a bitch about crowds?

Try this - discourage people; it's cold, you get wet, there's sharks, sand get's in your bits, early starts, long travel with no guarantee ... the list is endless. Start there and see if it makes an impact at Bondi.
Pepe

brick's picture
brick's picture
brick Thursday, 9 Dec 2010 at 9:49pm

I back myself out there but if I bail and hit you in the head then do I get relegated to the kiddies corner? Also, who signs off to get you out of the noob gang in the corner with the ordinary waves?
I'm with most here, can make you nervous with a board flying at your head and some random attached to the leash but if you're keen then you probably have to look further afield than Bondi.

brianp's picture
brianp's picture
brianp Friday, 10 Dec 2010 at 6:31am

Hahaha, I surf Manly beach every day and have surfed Bondi on countless occassions. I am an advanced surfer and I have never had a problem with any learner. Because I am an advanced surfer, I feel that I have the awareness to make sure I am never put in a situation to be taken out by anyone and I have only ever been hit my my own board (it SUCKS).

So he bailed, that is frustrating, but sometimes understandable... why would you be paddling right behind him anyway? Isn't it a red flag that he is riding a 10 foot NSP piece of crap? Of course a 2ft nothing wave to you and me will look like a 100 foot mountain of death to a noob. New surfers lack the experience needed to make correct split second judgment calls. Personally, I just always assume a new surfer will do the stupidest thing (which they usually do) and give them a wide birth! In my opinion, advanced surfers should be using their knowledge to avoid a situation like this all together.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 10 Dec 2010 at 8:34am

I agree Brianp.

There are easy signs that set off alarm bells straight away when out in the surf. Such as paddling way back on the board, or way to forward, awkward paddle style, and then awkwardness while waiting for a wave trying to keep the board stable under them.

I make sure I am never behind these type of people when paddling out etc. but sometimes accidents are just unavoidable. Especially when there is a big crowd.

I have to say there aren't many learners that head out to North Steyne which is a relief, just more incompetent surfers who are still learning the ropes re generating there own speed and real basic maneuvers . I have never surfed Bondi and don't have plans to either..

mtw's picture
mtw's picture
mtw Friday, 10 Dec 2010 at 9:10am

I think that when a kook buys or hires a board the surf shop should explain drop in rules, ettiquette and if you are not comfortable in duck diving, then atleast try and role you board and hang on to it, dont bail it. Also explaining where an appropriate place to go when you are learning. A new board should also come with an instruction pack or something explaining all this. It may just cut down on the incidences or close calls. I would also question what surf schools are teaching, they seem to all just paddle out in masses with a free for all attitude, with no consideration to the surfers who are already out, do surf schools teach these basic points?

But, saying all that been at Byron for the last few days and noticed that most learners were German tourists, who are not really in to it for the long term, just want a thrill whilst on holidays and dont give a shit about general ettiquete, would these people understand what the surf shop is saying or read a booklet, I would think not.

bombora's picture
bombora's picture
bombora Sunday, 12 Dec 2010 at 5:09am

I'm definately not against masses learning to surf because we all did it and have to start somewhere. Out of all those that start, only a percentage actually stick it out and continue. How many times have you heard 'I tried surfing once'?
What I do object to, is those surf schools who's operators are only in it for the cash (and other benefits) that don't teach basic surf etiquette.

By: "fitzroy-21"

I've never been to a surf school but from everything I've been told about them, they DO teach surf etiquette. It's just that newbies don't take it all in, NOR do they really care. It takes a couple of verbal stoushes in the water to get the message through.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Sunday, 12 Dec 2010 at 9:08am

Hey bombora,
I'm not against surf schools and not generalising that they are all the same. but there are the money grabbers out there that are in it for the wrong reasons. I personally know of two and have discretely raised the issue with them.

bombora's picture
bombora's picture
bombora Monday, 13 Dec 2010 at 8:45am

Hey bombora,
I'm not against surf schools and not generalising that they are all the same. but there are the money grabbers out there that are in it for the wrong reasons. I personally know of two and have discretely raised the issue with them.

By: "fitzroy-21"

And what was their reponse??

jumpers's picture
jumpers's picture
jumpers Monday, 20 Dec 2010 at 4:26am

As an Avoca local of over 30 years ...josh s you are kidding youself if you are saying there are no "noobs" at Avoca. As any central coast local will attest Avoca is full of them at any time of the day, you must be blind (no offence meant)

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Monday, 20 Dec 2010 at 7:48pm

bombora,
Sorry for the late reply.
One refused to dicuss the matter ,telling me to mind my own buisness. The other laughed it off saying it was 90% backpackers who didn't need to know it as they just wanted to learn to surf. End of discussion. As I said, a couple only in it for themselves. As in any field, the bad apples can spoil the bunch. I'm sure most are good operators around the country.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Monday, 20 Dec 2010 at 9:01pm

I have a mate who owns a surf school, most of the instructors are ex-students. He reckons they are better as they are easier to handle and as they are only teaching them the basics, people skills and first-aid are more important than experience in the surf. So as far as surf etiquette, it's the blind leading the blind.

vic-docker's picture
vic-docker's picture
vic-docker Tuesday, 28 Dec 2010 at 10:47am

Everyone here has a valid point in one way or another. As I am still pretty much a learner surfer myself, I made the effort to find out the "rights & wrongs" at the beach, where to surf and where not to surf so I didn't interfere with others enjoyment of the surf. A couple of times I was in the way, I apologised, told them I was a beginner and told them if I was in the wrong, let me know.
I have purpousely steered well clear of any advanced surfers as like everyone else, I'm out there for the fun of it all, not the agro! I must admit tho after taking a lesson, everyone was advised to look out for others and not be in the direct line of someone trying to ride a wave. As good advice as it was, many forgot and probably should have been reminded of such.
Also, when paddling ready to take on a wave, numerous times other beginners had their back turned and didnt see me (and others trying to catch waves, so I simply bailed out and waited for another opportunity. Yes it was getting frustrating (to the stage where I actually gestured to one who got in my way at least 10 times to clear a path for me!!!)
I do agree tho that when shops hire boards, they should give a brief tutorial of the rights and wrongs as well as ideal beginner spots to surf. In this day and age of legal matters and public liability, they should be "safety concious" of the people hiring their equipment, and the safety of others.
All very valid points tho.

ricco's picture
ricco's picture
ricco Tuesday, 4 Jan 2011 at 2:42am

If you surf in England you can expect to get hit on the head by stray goat boats. There used to be whole heards of them.

Anyway, what self respecting person goes to Bondi?

bigwayne's picture
bigwayne's picture
bigwayne Thursday, 6 Jan 2011 at 10:17pm

surfers are really good at self regulation i grew up with old school surfers sir frank latta being one and there was nothing like a good clip under the ear to make you understand ettiquite if you were have trouble getting your head around that if your abilty is not as good as those around you you dont pull in to the wave its that easy politcal correctnessand surf ettiquite do not go hand in hand infact they are polar oppisites