Trump - some observations

peterb's picture
peterb started the topic in Saturday, 18 Feb 2017 at 10:38am

Clever of Steve Bannon to manipulate the American democratic vote into his new order of Capitalist Fascism.
Trump's 'finely oiled machine' is like a car that has one flat tyre (Flynn) and no spare (Harward).
Who leaked the Turnbull Trump phone call when only Bannon and Flynn were in the room listening?
Which one of Trumps' hands will the Queen shake and will it be consensual?
Trump invites the fake press to a fake press conference, gives them some fake news then abuses them for publishing it.

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Saturday, 18 Feb 2017 at 11:05am

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Saturday, 18 Feb 2017 at 3:25pm

You've been busy Peterb, I suspect you are the same person who has had 2 letters to the Editor published in the SMH in the last week.

You are that one and the same person, aren't you?

I don't write in any more. The average IQ of the contributors has dropped alarmingly in the last decade. We're approaching Trump-like stupidity levels in that formerly august journal of record.

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Saturday, 18 Feb 2017 at 3:52pm

Can't help myself ..

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Saturday, 18 Feb 2017 at 4:16pm

.... but I'm using less words.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 18 Feb 2017 at 6:09pm

Fewer, Peter

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Saturday, 18 Feb 2017 at 7:46pm

Less is a determiner and pronoun, this you learn when you write a book, which is one more than Donald Trump ever wrote, just to keep on subject.
Backatya blindboysie.

many-rivers's picture
many-rivers's picture
many-rivers Sunday, 19 Feb 2017 at 7:59am

People often use less with countable nouns:There were less cars on the road then.This is not considered correct by some people, and fewer should be used instead.
it is the nature of the noun that determines the use of these comparatives.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 19 Feb 2017 at 10:09am

....ha ha I have already written three!

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 19 Feb 2017 at 10:09am

Whoops I forgot one, make that four.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 19 Feb 2017 at 11:22am

What books have you written ?

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Sunday, 19 Feb 2017 at 12:21pm

Modesty forbids me from mentioning them.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 19 Feb 2017 at 12:37pm

Modesty ain't going to shift any more copies though will it ?

I thought books were written to be read ?

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Sunday, 19 Feb 2017 at 1:13pm

Bloodlines. Lineage. The Bookmaker from Rabaul.
Author: Peter Bowes
Available on Amazon, ebook and paperback.

I owe you one, Blowin.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 19 Feb 2017 at 1:18pm

Just remember that next time I'm being an unconscionable fucktard.

I might just check those titles out though.....

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 19 Feb 2017 at 3:10pm

@Blowin,

A short story of Pete's but one of my faves. Worth seeking out the rest.

Erin and the Ideology of Hate

Nobody ever tried to figure out Erin, ever.

He used to walk the Bondi Promenade from one end to the other every day and we would wait for him like jackals down by the wild south, and as he passed by we would savage him without mercy, everytime.

Erin was just a little slope shouldered guy with a pre-occupied air and who wore doublethick glasses and who had a kind of limp and whose purposeful gait and thoughtful demeanor were the antitheses to the order of things. He always had something on his mind, and we wanted it to be us. The young totalitariniasts of thought.

He was a Woody Allen kind of man.

Down there where the carpark rose above the walkway (by the skate rink now) we would look down on this peaceful little fellow who often times wore the beard of our spittle down the back of his shirt, and we would croon soft and intimate abuse as he raged back at us for our illegitimate insults; the founding Bondi Fascista.

And always the one of him, and always the ten of us.

He was just a little man, and how he dared fight back.

Erin would rage at our intrusion upon his freedom, this abuse of his right to walk in peace, this cowardly victimization of a man otherwise at peace, this daily terrorization of his life, that he, without fail, had the courage to confront day after day in the hope that one day we would go far away or be killed in a road accident, or die of alcoholism or choke in our own drug induced vomit, or be beaten to death by the Vice Squad, or at least be removed from his path by whatever dangers our arrogance exposed us.

And here, by God, spoke his prophesy of the end of more than a few of us old boys.

How their voices would be faint today, muffled by the earth that covers them.

How he shivered with indignation as he looked up at our grinning apelike faces, how he learnedly and indignantly exposed our intellectual shortcomings before he stomped away in a Holy Order of Anger and Righteous Might.

This angry little man. This righteous fellow.

Years later I learned that he was the son of one of the two women who used to run a small delicatessen across the road from the old gym in Bondi Road, the one where we held the inaugural meeting of the South Bondi Boardriders Club. Our Alma Mater.

My wife would shop there from time to time when she needed a little European touch to a special meal, and once she mentioned over dinner that both the women who worked the counters had numbers tattooed on their arms.

Faded though in 1962, and half hidden by their long sleeved working blouses.

I went to the shop a week or two later, purely to see the faces of women who had survived the death camps, and impurely to purge myself of the sins of abusing their son Erin.

They were too busy, and all I could do was buy some fresh Parmesan and a bag of  olives.

So this will have to do.

//PETER BOWES

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 19 Feb 2017 at 5:31pm

I like this one too.

I don't want to appear the sycophant but I love PB's writing. Been visiting his website for years but never dared leave a comment.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 19 Feb 2017 at 6:25pm

Yeah , great story Pete and thanks Stu.

I'd expand on that except I just got back from getting tubed off my tits for 3 hours and I need a shower , a feed , a lie down and a beer .

Not necessarily in that order.

But again....great writing.

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Sunday, 19 Feb 2017 at 6:53pm

Thanks, stu, much appreciated. One final Bloodlines coming. Then something for the kiddies, south coast style. Bush hats, ticks, big dogs, wild beaches and an old man with his orphaned grandson.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 19 Feb 2017 at 6:54pm

Showered and waiting on a seafood pizza with a cold beer , the body humming with pleasure and fatigue.

And my missus just emailed me a story of Pete's regarding why I'll never stand a chance with Kate Moss....and she's paying for the fucking fuel !

Nice work , mate.

I'll plot through your website and order a book or two .

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Sunday, 19 Feb 2017 at 6:57pm

... you too Zen, and blownin .. true gents.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 19 Feb 2017 at 7:10pm

Are you hitting on me , Pete ?

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Sunday, 19 Feb 2017 at 7:31pm

Only if you have an acceptable library ...

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 24 Feb 2017 at 12:12am

Introducing the #1 troll on the market

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 24 Feb 2017 at 11:22am
peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Friday, 24 Feb 2017 at 6:57pm

Steve Bannon wants to 'deconstruct the admistrative state.' That's hundreds of thousands of jobs lost. Trump wants to make America great by creating hundreds of thousands of jobs.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 24 Feb 2017 at 7:11pm

Maybe he means to replace it.

Or fix it once he's deconstructed it.

Like Peter Brady when he broke the vase that time he wanted to go camping.

Mom said not to play ball in the house !

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 24 Feb 2017 at 7:16pm

And then there was the reality. Greg Brady permanently bent, and going out with Carol. Mike Brady just plain bent.

What a bunch! The ultimate Trump reality show. We're fired!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 24 Feb 2017 at 7:26pm

Here's an observation : This music makes me want to sever my ears from my head ala Chopper Reid just to make it stop and I'm no fan of ultra short surfboards .....but I'm a big fan of this surfing.

https://m.

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Friday, 24 Feb 2017 at 8:42pm

Here's an observation: would you be allowed to enter America on an Australian passport after passing through Mexico at the end of a surfing odyssey that took you through the same countries Bruce Brown passed through when he was making the Endless Summer?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 24 Feb 2017 at 8:46pm

which country would be an issue ?

I only remember : Oz, RSA , NZ , Ghana , Tahiti ,

Those memories are so old and small that they'd roll into a clamshell like a pair of Oz bikini bottoms.

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Friday, 24 Feb 2017 at 8:50pm

What is that, yes or no?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 24 Feb 2017 at 8:56pm

I'm saying yes .

What are you saying ?

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Friday, 24 Feb 2017 at 8:59pm

Yes, then.
Why?

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 24 Feb 2017 at 11:31pm

Who's on first?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 25 Feb 2017 at 12:06am

That was actually the most entertaining little conversation that I've read on Swellnet for a long time.
Bless.

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Saturday, 25 Feb 2017 at 8:11am

Hasn't finished yet, one answer remains outstanding.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 25 Feb 2017 at 8:59am

Not sure what you're getting at Pete.

An Aussie should be able to enter the states on a valid visa.

Spit it out , mate.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Saturday, 25 Feb 2017 at 9:35am

Yeah Pete were all waiting, all 5 of us,with bad breath....well it is saturday morning so come on out with it.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Saturday, 25 Feb 2017 at 9:35am

Yeah Pete were all waiting, all 5 of us,with bad breath....well it is saturday morning so come on out with it.

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Saturday, 25 Feb 2017 at 9:36am

As you say Blowin, everything should be ok for a (real) Aussie with a valid visa.
But what if the (blowin) Aussie has dual nationality, and the (other) nationality is on Trump's 'forbidden to enter the USA list?'

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 25 Feb 2017 at 9:53am

Getting convoluted now Pete !

Bit of a fan of the Deux ex machine in your writing are you ?

Well in this instance it's Trump that's fulfilling the role of the unruly and unpredictable gods.

Makes for an interesting narrative !

I don't subscribe to the dual nationality approach , Pete.

Though so in this instance I guess our oft barrelled protagonist will have to settle for getting pitted in the rum and sun soaked Bahamas rather than getting burnt and faded in weak, grey , cold , craggy kook soup at Newport Beach.

Sounds like a win , don't ya think ?

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Saturday, 25 Feb 2017 at 10:30am

What do you mean by 'dual nationality approach'? - Or have I reached the end of your tether, blowin?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 25 Feb 2017 at 11:41am

I'm a nationalist , Pete.

It's like monogamy for your community !

I don't believe that people should be able to have dual citizenship.

It'll take a lot more than a bit of interesting banter to reach the end of my tether, mate.

chill60's picture
chill60's picture
chill60 Saturday, 25 Feb 2017 at 12:27pm

I suppose I might be a nationalist too - dual nationality was really just a concession to the anglo celts who wanted to remain with their mother country ...

perhaps of more interest for some of us wanting to head to the US (for whatever) is the transformation going on within the State Department processes regarding entry - they've introduced much tougher vetting procedures following Trump orders that have nothing to do with terrorism etc - folks who easily got in previously are now being told small misdemeanours, that were not a problem previously, will preclude them from entry ...

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 25 Feb 2017 at 1:16pm

Interesting that despite the many different types of nationalism, the term nationalism has been a dirty word, a pejorative term, obviously influenced by the European fascist states of last century.
According to some, "as long as a nationalism abhors violence and propagates liberal rights and equal citizenship for all citizens of its state, its philosophical credentials can be considered to be sound".
Having said this, One Nation and LNP versions of nationalism appear to fail this test.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 25 Feb 2017 at 1:20pm
peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Saturday, 25 Feb 2017 at 2:14pm

Dual nationality has been known to make it easier to navigate customs and border issues when travelling from one country to another, say for instance when you might wish to visit family ... yet here you are, blowin, talking about nationalism, which is something else entirely.
As I said, you've reached the end of your tether.

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Saturday, 25 Feb 2017 at 2:45pm

Here's an observation: Bannon wishes to deconstruct the (US) administrative state. To do that he must first create the new administrative state necessary to deal with illegals, border jumpers and anybody with a non US passport who wishes to visit Trump's America.
One will only replace the other.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 25 Feb 2017 at 2:58pm

I'll be entering the US in two weeks time (this time with sneaky looking Asian wife in tow). I was there at exactly the same time last year and was no probs.

I'll let you know how i go this time and if anything's changed.

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Saturday, 25 Feb 2017 at 3:09pm

zen, count the number of guns you see over there. One hundred a day? Two?