Australian anthem?

nicko74's picture
nicko74 started the topic in Thursday, 2 Feb 2017 at 8:47am

Lately there's been a lot of media attention on Anthony Mundine refusing to sing the Australian national anthem before his bout with Danny Green.
I'm with Anthony, although I don't share the same view that the anthem is racist, I respect his right to refuse to sing the anthem. Why should a sports person have to sing any kind of anthem, particularly if he or she is not even representing their country in that particular event? I seems just a little out of date?

Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799 Thursday, 2 Feb 2017 at 2:26pm

Yeah seems like a bit of media hype to get a few more viewers to me. There's a fair few free tickets floating around town at the moment I'll be interested to see how thick the crowd is.
I'll be watching from somewhere much more comfy and closer to home!

And lets be honest, our anthem is awful! Mundine still loves his country like the rest of us.

Having said that, I hope Danny Green flogs the arrogant bastard!

dimdim's picture
dimdim's picture
dimdim Sunday, 5 Feb 2017 at 7:53am

Remember that song "What Are We Going To Do About Maria" from The Sound Of Music ? Of course you do ! You are humming along with it in your head right now.
Well if I was going to have a good old singalong before the boxing then that song would be a fine choice.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 10 Feb 2017 at 11:39pm

80s shite either way

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Saturday, 11 Feb 2017 at 10:43am

Waltzing Matilda is our national anthem, and a damn fine one it is. it's the song australians sing when overcome with joy and it's the song australians sing when their troopship is torpedoed and they slide into their watery graves.

it's a rousing tale of tea making and refusing to submit to the injustices of the man. it's the great australian story, told many a time and many a different way -- "he made it out...with a bullet in his back".

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Saturday, 11 Feb 2017 at 12:18pm

mundine is right. the national anthem isnt for all australians. in a multicultural society there is never going to be a set of perfect words that fits everybody. ive got nothing against him refusing to acknowledge the anthem, its his individual choice, but to say it is racist is naive and consistent with his antagonistic attitude.