What's what?

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon started the topic in Friday, 6 Nov 2015 at 7:48pm

AN ALL-ENCOMPASSING KALEIDOSCOPIC JOIN-THE-DOTS/ADULT COLOURING BOOK EXPERIMENTAL PROJECT IN NARCISSISTIC/ONANISTIC BIG PICTURE PARASITIC FORUM BLEEDING.

LIKE POLITICAL LIFE, PARTICIPATION IS WELCOME, ENCOURAGED EVEN, BUT NOT NECESSARY.

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 9:17am

GroundSw, you may notice that Pilger is not only extolling a lot of journalistic license here but is well known for it. Firstly, the women's costume named Bikini was not a celebration. Quite the opposite. Secondly the media were Certainly not in general support of the Iraq invasion. This is fresh in many memories and again Pilger goes off. It's pretty obvious that nuclear armaments is a problem hence the concern re Iran and the stability of Russia. He does not have much time for the US and there is plenty of contradiction in his articles.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 9:48am

it seems ww3 might be somewhat inevitable

western countries are more worried about managing market sentiment than reality

https://m.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 10:21am

Doggo, duke of dire daggy-dad dank-memes:

"But mine are used for butthurt..."

So your memes are like constipation? Or dysentery?

Or both sorts of painful shit?

Yep. You're on it. Mirror is working.

Yew!

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 10:40am

Tory Barber, you really should get into the meme-scene. Doggo, can teach you.

Bucketfuls of messy shit like yours needs a more creative outlet, I feel.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 10:29am
stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 10:29am

@ Sypkan,

The Alex Jones Channel reports reality?

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 10:43am

Where's Icke when you need him?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 11:03am

He comes up as a suggested video on the Alex Jones clip. 'David Icke: What others dare not say.'

Because they don't fucken believe in aliens living amongst us, Davo.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 11:11am

Tony Barber: "Secondly the media were Certainly not in general support of the Iraq invasion."

All 173 News Corp publications would disagree with you.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 12:35pm

Allied to Blowie's post above regarding 457 visas, correlation or just another 'scare campaign'?

http://thewire.org.au/story/govt-focus-jobs-growth-vet-portfolio-demoted/

'Jobs n growth' for who??

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 1:08pm

Visas ?

We don't need no stinking visas !

Dutton has declared that any foreign workers to be employed in the offshore oil and gas industry will not even need a visa anymore.

Petroleum industry ( any industry ) says jump - the government asks how high.

I suppose it must be hard to find anyone in Australia who would want to work on a supply ship on a month on / month off roster for a mere $200K per year.

Plus 4 weeks annual leave, sickies etc etc

Story about it in the guardian, you'll have to google it as this page won't let me paste a link.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 1:25pm

All this talk of 457 visas or lack of the requirement for a 457 visa, just think of it as Workchoices on the downlow .... the conservatives know full well what they are doing here .... if this were a policy attacking something held dear to the rich you could expect daily headlines in the Murdoch press e.g. attack on the carbon or mining taxes but we get nothing because its the conservatives war on unions, workers and their wages ..... along with the failed royal commission, involvement in the Victorian CFA dispute during the election etc etc.

If this does not directly effect you already it will when you hit your 50s, made redundant and find it impossible to find another job or when your kids what a job or when your neighbourhood ends up a getto with house after house of unemployed families ........ just look at the USA where large slabs of that country have been left behind in the "mythical economic miracle" that was Reaganomics.

When Labor return to government they should hold a royal commission into how the conservatives have signed away 100,000s of Australian jobs ....... and yet the 250,000 manufacturing jobs associated with the car industry are about to join the dole queues ....... FFS Australia get angry about this fraud.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 4:06pm

Labor 'scare campaign' (straight from the Shadow Minister for Vocational Education's mouth):

http://www.sharonbird.com.au/mediarelease

"This government prefers their fallback position of relying on 457 visas rather than also working to train Australian citizens to truly encourage jobs and growth into the future. "

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 2:48pm

Stu, I don't follow the 100 odd News Corps media outlets. I'm sure in the US there would have been a lot of support for Bush at the time but I distinctly remember the hard time Howard had to convince us. If you remember when Powell got stumped in the UN, the Iraq war argument was looking very shaky.
Maybe you have a thing for Murdoch but I'm sure you know better than most his influence is fractured, especially today.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 2:54pm

His influence 'may' be waning, but I can assure you his media company overwhelmingly supported the war. When it was announced, all his publications bar one, the Hobart Mercury, ran op eds in favour of the war. The following week every single one, including the Hobart Mercury, were pro war.

I'd call that general support.

You're right though that the public gave Howard a hard time. Kinda heartening that we didn't all tow the Murdoch line, and that we gave it to Little Winston. Though it didn't make a lick of difference in the end.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 3:19pm

A coupla quotes:

"Some regard newspapers as dinosaurs, but this is mistaken in my view. Newspapers continue to set a daily agenda, particularly in politics. They are responsible for the majority of online news which in turn feeds blogs and social media. Radio and television feed off newspaper coverage, creating an echo chamber, particularly in small state capitals."

"However, we believe there is an arguable case that the Murdoch newspapers may well have helped set an agenda for the election campaign, by their selection and presentation of issues. This may have occurred directly through its influence on its readership, but it may have also occurred because of ‘inter-media agenda-setting’. Studies of inter-media agenda-setting suggest that newspapers have a powerful influence on the news agenda of television and other media (Shoemaker & Vos, 2009; Atwater, Fico, & Pizante, 1987; Golan, 2006). In the case of Australia, News Corp dominates the newspaper industry. This continuing dominance was underlined by a new study during the election campaign which found that News Corp titles account for 59 per cent of daily newspaper sales nationwide and 65 per cent of capital city and national daily newspapers which, the study said, ‘are by far the most influential in setting the news agenda’ (Flew & Goldsmith, 2013). The study also pointed out that 14 of the 21 metro daily and Sunday newspapers were owned by News Corp, making the Australian newspaper market ‘among the most concentrated in the democratic world’."

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 3:24pm

Newspaper's biased? Australia conservative?

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 3:52pm

nice work TT, dispelling the resident Chinese historian attempting yet another history rewrite.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 4:17pm

From another thread:

In particular, how do they (Labor) get their message out there?

Doggo: "So start questioning why they (LNP) won..."

THAT IS THE QUESTION INDEED.

I THINK THE CORPORATE MEDIA IS A HUGE PART OF THE ANSWER.

Circumvention, by all means, is necessary.

"Don't hate the media, become the media." - Eric Reed Boucher.

What we're doing and can do RIGHT HERE! ON SWELLNET!

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 4:20pm

"(I think) the role of activist groups, the union movement, and grass-roots Labor faithful in direct on-the-ground and online engagement, which bypassed the corpo-media and usual channels, is interesting for the future. The impact of Get-up, say in Tassie? Bernardi for one is interested."

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 4:23pm

Turkmanistan writes; "Tory Barber, you really should get into the meme-scene. Doggo, can teach you."

Are you for fuckn real, Stan? You do realize everyone see's the countless memes you post yourself, don't you? Delusional......

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 4:28pm

Floyd writes " happy, I think I heard Keating was advising Labor & BS during the election. Could you image how PK would tear ribbons off the LNP now? IMO the best treasurer/PM we have ever seen"

Full agreement....... Also the last Labor PM to serve a complete term....... No Labor pm has done it in 20 years........ 20 freekn years..........

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 4:49pm

"Turkmanistan writes; "Tory Barber, you really should get into the meme-scene. Doggo, can teach you."

Are you for fuckn real, Stan? You do realize everyone see's the countless memes you post yourself, don't you? Delusional......"

But you and Tory Barber are on the same wave-length, Doggo. Team up. He can do the 'constipated shit' ones and you can be 'dysentery dawg'.

Team Butthurt!

Yew!

Shatner'sBassoon Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 5:08pm

"Doggo: "So start questioning why they (LNP) won..."

THAT IS THE QUESTION INDEED.

I THINK THE CORPORATE MEDIA IS A HUGE PART OF THE ANSWER.

Circumvention, by all means, is necessary.

"Don't hate the media, become the media." - Eric Reed Boucher.

What we're doing and can do RIGHT HERE! ON SWELLNET!"

"(I think) the role of activist groups, the union movement, and grass-roots Labor faithful in direct on-the-ground and online engagement, which bypassed the corpo-media and usual channels, is interesting for the future. The impact of Get-up, say in Tassie? Bernardi for one is interested."

Social media as a tool is playing a bigger role as each year and election passes. Coupled with old-school face-to-face 'human' connection as well. Corporate media influence is the toughest edifice to crack but you've got to look for the fissures, and shine some light on 'em and up 'em.

YOU CAN DEFINITELY DO THAT ON HERE.

To paraphrase Hunter S Thompson, "subversion is beautiful...like a brick in the face of a cop!"

There's always room for Eric Reed Boucher too!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 5:32pm

"Team Butthurt!"

Ah, imitation..... The most sincere form of flattery...... thank you, Stan..... It means a lot... :)

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 5:43pm

Team Delusional! Team Dogging! Take your pick.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 5:46pm

Yeah, SB, someone's on the ball. It has to happen and the tools to do it are available.

'Aussie Spring', anyone?

JB is ALWAYS on the ball.

Become the media, indeed.

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 5:57pm

SB....or is social media potentially destroying society? I wonder if we actually getting dumber. no time anymore to sit down, and contemplate face to face with someone.

coming from someone is annoyed at Pokeman Go - but not sure if Im just annoyed because I don't get it, or because I think those partaking are just nuts. im going with the latter for now.

Shatner'sBassoon Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 6:03pm

First question, Happy, how are you hearing about this 'phenomenon'? What channels?

Social media is a tool not an end in itself. Use it wisely.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 6:04pm

Speaking of tools, read this. History never repeats??

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/06/history-campaign-politics...

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 6:46pm

It's everywhere Shats, on the mainstream news, social media - I even saw some of the little blighters playing it for real the other day.
Weird as shit.

Oh, and I'm going to "shirtfront" the next bozo that's walking down the street, looking at their device and not paying attention.

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Wednesday, 20 Jul 2016 at 7:50pm

I think SB's comment was rhetorical Andy, but that's ok. I guess what im asking is how often people form considered opinions anymore or whether use of social media could rob people of using their brain in mannered sense where read-speed and response-hast over-rides contemplation, and measured communication. not to mention the countless plethora of rubbish that draws no end of attention, robbing people of time. do we become too reactive?

as they say opinions are a bit like arseholes, everyone has one.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 21 Jul 2016 at 12:32pm

Happy Arse, check out how people use the threads on here. They run the full gamut. Some rant, some rave, some abuse, inform, reflect, entertain, lie, question, seek knowledge, seek to give knowledge, make connections, seek to make connections. And all done hastily, or not.

Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 21 Jul 2016 at 1:31pm

Google "Fighting Turkey's Twitter Ban With DNS Graffiti" to see how 'old school' social media works with the new.

Mad Turks, indeed!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 21 Jul 2016 at 1:56pm

"Team Delusional! Team Dogging! Take your pick."

Because I think Shorten blew it? Like I knew he would? Bahahahahaha..
Nah, you're right..... As we've seen you're always right...
Have you ever undertaken a psychopathy test? It's be interesting to see the result....
Insert banal response below
VVV V

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 21 Jul 2016 at 1:58pm
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 21 Jul 2016 at 2:37pm

Doggo, still spraying the corporate-sponsored flavoured sugar/salt water-ade about - 'cos it's shitty tasting but FREE - as you sing the club-song post-match?

Drink up! It's good for ya!

"Good old Rupert forever, he knows how to play the game. Side by side, we'll stick together, to uphold the Murdoch name..."

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 21 Jul 2016 at 2:39pm
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 21 Jul 2016 at 2:49pm

Doggo, still spraying the corporate-sponsored flavoured sugar/salt water-ade about - 'cos it's shitty tasting but FREE - as you sing the club-song post-match?

Drink up! It's good for ya!

"Good old Rupert forever, he knows how to play the game. Side by side, we'll stick together, to uphold the Murdoch name..."

You're a dead set rollicking idiot, aren't you, mate..... You can't stick to one conversation..... Adhd...
Gerard Henderson on too much Caffeine....
Now let's look at your "delusional" accusation.... Let's look at my major pov's here;

That the Abbott/ Turnbull government is possibly the worse government we've ever had...... Delusional? If you say so....

That Shorten is still held in contempt by a large part of the community over the Rudd/Gillard/Rudd fiasco.. Delusional If you say so..

That Labor's gains in this election was a false dawn for the party, with it's primary vote the second lowest in history.. Delusional?... If you say so....

That both parties on totally on the nose... Delusional? If you say so....

That both parties have not learned a damn thing from the protest vote? Delusional? If you say so....

That the global warming scene has trojans on both sides with profits in mind ahead of anything else? Delusional? If you say so....

That Australia should pull out of the middle east as it would lessen "social tensions" here, would save taxpayer dollars, and it's a dodgy war anyway? Delusional? If you say so......

Insert bile below:
vvvvv

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 21 Jul 2016 at 2:57pm

Sick! Nailed TEAM DELUSIONAL! You gonna move on to the 'dogging' and 'butthurt' bits now?

Does your team-mate Tory Barber get a say?

"There's no 'I' in 'TEAM'!"

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 21 Jul 2016 at 2:58pm

Hang on, I feel a MEME comin' on. Yew!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 21 Jul 2016 at 3:15pm

Ooooohhhhhhhh hissy fit one for the day..... Of course no proper response...... Why don't you write one of your cumbersome cryptic "I'm the most intelligent guy here" posts that go on, and on, and on, and on.... Then we can all speed read your 100 words that say what can be said in one sentence, and marvel at your self proclaimed Gore Vidalness?

Come on.... You know you wanna..... pmsl..

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 21 Jul 2016 at 6:53pm

"Self proclaimed Gore Vidalness"...Do you even know what that means? I will bet you 20, no, 50, fuck it, ONE HUNDRED schmackos if you can show where I've proclaimed myself Gore Vidal.

What's a hissy fit, Doggo? Is that like wind or worse? Speed-digesting will be the death of you. Don't swallow the bait.

Or we talking idiopathic epilepsy?

Anyways, here's a GIF!

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Thursday, 21 Jul 2016 at 3:33pm

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 21 Jul 2016 at 3:37pm

Get in the frigging sea, indeed!

https://twitter.com/getinthesea?lang=en

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 21 Jul 2016 at 4:17pm

"Google "Fighting Turkey's Twitter Ban With DNS Graffiti" to see how 'old school' social media works with the new.

Mad Turks, indeed!"

What's going on in Turkey is insane. Watch this space.

Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 21 Jul 2016 at 4:22pm

"May you live in interesting times"

Read this open letter (at the very least)

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/the-purge-of-academic-institutions-in...

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 21 Jul 2016 at 4:39pm

You can get into strife signing stuff like that!

"See what you get, Larry..." Good read. Good warning!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/20/opinion/trump-and-the-sultan.html?smid...

Shatner'sBassoon Friday, 22 Jul 2016 at 12:05pm

The Guardian. Been reading it for years. UK and online. It has changed of late and the change is noticeable.

An article by Frankie Boyle that the Guardian pulled at the last minute because they objected to the word "bummed' on the grounds of taste (according to the author).

Funny shit, by the way.

"Much as this new cabinet looks like the Monster Mash, it must be a nice change for the Tories to have a few frontbenchers whose mum and dad didn’t get out of the back of the car when they arrived at parent’s evening. Normally, the Prime Minister is obliged for Occult reasons to find a place in cabinet for someone representing each of the Archetypes in the classic Tarot of Tories : The Jester; The Toad; The Shapeshifter; The Well Groomed Man; The Pederast; Lord Business; Shagger Without Portfolio; The Other Pederast; The Unknown Woman; and The Bummed Man. One thing this cabinet will help with is reclaiming the side of the Conservative vote that had crumbled to UKIP. Farage has already disappeared, as if he was only ever called into existence by the collective telepathic will of Daily Express readers. If the election isn't called for two years and Brexit gets under way, or at least seems to, will UKIP still exist in a meaningful way? Do we even care about, say, their education policy? It’s like wanting to know ISIS’s position on speed cameras.

Theresa May is our second Prime Minister with the outer carapace of a human female, but what do we know about what she really thinks? We have nothing more to go on than her six years as the most right wing Home Secretary in living memory and her declared opposition to human rights. Who knows yet what her philosophy will be? The smart money is on free will for the rich and determinism for the poor. The appointment of 69 Junior Ministers shows us just how insecure May feels about a backbench rebellion, as well as showcasing her famously smutty sense of humour. In the interests of keeping him where she can see him, and general distraction, she placed Boris Johnson, looking more than ever like a nightmare Terry Gilliam had about an Emperor penguin, at the Foreign Office. Boris's appointment has certainly divided people, into those who don't want to be represented by him abroad and those who're just glad that he'll be out of the country more often. Foreign Office. You'd think by now it would be the dept for International Relations and Co-operation or something, but no it's the Foreign Office, an office, for dealing with foreigners.

I'm not judging Labour's behaviour so far in their election. Trying to exclude your core demographic by charging 25 quid is exactly what I did on my last stand up tour. Perhaps what non members like me don't understand is that all this talk of "Labour family" is more than a metaphor, and they really do all fucking hate each other. We all marvelled at the way the Tory shield wall closed during their election, at the sheer brutal efficacy of it, in the same way that Ian Holm's android in Alien purred over the efficiency of the film's predator. It's admirable I'm sure, but let's remember that no good will come of it. There's nothing to say that a soft-left candidate who echoed some of the Conservative's concerns about immigration couldn't make a better Labour leader, except for the last election where they tried that and it totally didn't work. But that's politics isn't it? It's all about opinions. I mean I suppose there are some people in Iraq, Libya and Syria who might view the concern over a brick going through Angela Eagle's office window with a certain ironic detachment, if they still had the Internet, or indeed eyes. The spirit of the times was perhaps best captured when Owen Smith launched his candidacy by going on Andrew Marr to announce that he would be happy to instigate a nuclear holocaust, as Marr prepared to throw over to a country trio called Applewood Road.

I've sensed a certain anti-democratic air in the media since Brexit, and maybe some of this has found its way into the Labour debate. Perhaps the parliamentary party are best placed to choose leaders after all, has been the response of commentators who secretly want to scream for quite a long time about why any decision should depend on the opinions of people who live in Sunderland. Labour have been attacked for failing to hold power to account, but there was a time when the media saw that as its own job too. If only half the horror at being plunged into the unknown of Brexit had been reserved for the grim certainties of this May government. The man who destroyed a lot of lives imposing an austerity that actually increased debt got sacked and did a runner out of the back door, while the press ran pieces on May's first speech (about, eh, social justice…) that were little more than PR. Maybe we need to be a bit more generous about the stated intentions of voters and a bit more sceptical about those of politicians.

For what it's worth, all the indicators are that May is a vehemently pro-corporate Tory who is probably well to the right of her own traditional right-wing, and this is possibly the most right wing cabinet in modern history. And yet, paradoxically, I think we are about to enter a time when we will put our petty divisions aside, when we will learn to co-operate fully, when we will raise our consciousness from the mundane. We will have to do this in order to survive, and we will, in the Re-education camps. I'll see you there."

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Friday, 22 Jul 2016 at 11:35am

Very good SB. Drew a wry smile and a laugh or two. I think Australia is pretty fucked politically, except compared to so many other places. In one way we're lucky we're only governed by dills. Evil dills, often enough, but dills.