Israeli surfers evacuated from Maldives after local unrest

stunet's picture
stunet started the topic in Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 9:32am

Look like some Maldivian locals have united with their Islamic brothers from Palestine and caused a brouhaha. 34 Israelis have had to be evacuated from the Maldives.

"Anti-Israeli sentiment has been growing in the Maldives as the escalating conflict between Israel and Palestinians continues to result in heavy civilian casualties in Gaza."

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 9:37am

No doubt there are some Israeli surfers travelling around Indo at the moment, wonder how they might be feeling?

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 10:08am

Not that well liked bunch where ever they go, born and bred army mentality which seems to cause kaos..!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 10:12am

Don't think Israelis are allowed into Indo anyway Stu. Thank Fuck.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 10:20am

Right, didn't know that. Seems they can only get restricted visas for business travel. That'd explain the concentration of them in the Maldives then. Wonder where they're gonna go now it's turning pear shaped over there?

It's one thing to be embarrassed by your govt when overseas but to be chased outta town 'cause of disputes you're not directly involved in? I'd be looking to drop the -stein or -berg and emigrate.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 10:30am

Extremism in any form of religious belief is very dangerous. The vast majority of people who follow a religious belief are not extremist and just wanna get on with their lives.

loungelizard's picture
loungelizard's picture
loungelizard Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 10:31am

substitute indigenous for israelis in blowins comment and youd all be taking the moral high ground. its racism and hypocrisy pure and simple . Krystallnacht anybody? (im estonian)

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 10:33am

Yeah - Israelis are definitely not permitted into Indonesia. An Australian journalist friend of mine who covers the Middle-East and visits Israel frequently has to maintain two passports; one for Israel and one for everywhere else. Indonesia has a sometimes-official, sometimes-not policy of refusing you a visa if they see an Israeli document in your passport. I've heard the Israeli immigration department is aware of this and will sometimes give you a piece of paper in lieu of a stamp, so that there is no evidence of you ever going there. Could be wrong but.

It's hard to imagine where they might go, but my bet will be here in greater numbers.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 10:38am

Hamas... A well respected political organization.................. Israel.. A caring empathetic country... :/

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 11:05am
stunet wrote:

It's one thing to be embarrassed by your govt when overseas but to be chased outta town 'cause of disputes you're not directly involved in? I'd be looking to drop the -stein or -berg and emigrate.

The way I read it Stu is that the Israeli's on the island took offence to the swastika = Israel sign and smashed it. Right or wrong they instigated a retaliation. They should have just left it there and kept their mouths shut and they could well possibly still be there surfing.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 11:06am

loungelizard wrote:

substitute indigenous for israelis in blowins comment and youd all be taking the moral high ground. its racism and hypocrisy pure and simple . Krystallnacht anybody? (im estonian)

Considering the actions of their government over recent weeks, and in particular last night, it's kinda hard to feel sorry for them at present. And I understand that thinking leads down a bad path. But if the government represents the people then at what point do the people not represent the government?

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 11:11am

Fiji is probably high on their list .
hey lounge lizard .... care to tell us what 12 Mths is in Estonian . And carrots while your at ...!

loungelizard's picture
loungelizard's picture
loungelizard Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 11:13am

and youre applying the same level of moral censure to hamas, syria, nigeria/boko haram, russia, etc and their populations i assume? and i confess to making some antibrazilian surfer comments, so put my hand up as a hypocrite too, it just seems to take a particularly nasty turn when the israelis cop it

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 11:14am

And Hamas, stu? Did they not fire the first rockets in this latest episode the the longest war in history? Did they not break the latest ceasefire? Both Hamas AND Israel are responsible....

loungelizard's picture
loungelizard's picture
loungelizard Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 11:16am

haid puhi mother fucker!
(to southey.. i assume that was a racist taunt that i am actually jewish?)

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 11:24am

Not in the slightest LL . My mates girl is Estonian . Every time i see her i ask her to say those two , not in any particular order .
Your a little touchey there with that subject perhaps you are ? Either way , I'm not racist . i hate everyone ....
( for everyone else , as LL doesn't want to play . 12mths when pronounced in Estonian sounds like : Cocks taste good . and carrots : Poor cunts .

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 11:21am

You don't see many Bondi jews travelling overseas and posing with human body parts taunting the very people that offered them safety, security and shelter.

If my neighbours sworn duty was to wipe every one of my brethren off the face of the earth, I'd be pretty antsy too.

This is a dangerous argument.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 11:30am

loungelizard wrote:

and youre applying the same level of moral censure to hamas, syria, nigeria/boko haram, russia, etc and their populations i assume? and i confess to making some antibrazilian surfer comments, so put my hand up as a hypocrite too, it just seems to take a particularly nasty turn when the israelis cop it

Caution, sweeping statement coming up: War and unrest appear a 'natural' occurence amongst humans, history would seem to bear this out. But since WW2 we've had institutions in place to ameliorate conflict and suffering, and yet I don't see them being applied in this one-sided war. For whatever reason the US and UN wont provide protection or legal recourse to grave crimes committed against Palestine.

Of course Palestine is also guilty, however just look at the death tolls of each side to see how incredibly unequal it is. Yeah, there's a measure of relativity at play but I believe that until it's balanced the global reaction against Israel will follow suit.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 11:34am

Zen, arguments aren't dangerous... People are dangerous..... "Fight or flight" is dangerous.... Methodical debate is hard but rewarding......

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 11:36am

zenagain wrote:

You don't see many Bondi jews travelling overseas and posing with human body parts taunting the very people that offered them safety, security and shelter. If my neighbours sworn duty was to wipe every one of my brethren off the face of the earth, I'd be pretty antsy too. This is a dangerous argument.

You're conflating a few issues there Zen. The occupation of Palestine needs to be distinguished from Islamic jihad, ISIS, et al.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 11:43am

Does it Stu .....
At the end of the day this is all created by Religion .....

My avatar mirrors this political storm ..... Davids beheading of Goliath ......

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 11:40am

True.

One broad stroke of the brush.

My apologies.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 11:47am
stunet wrote:

loungelizard wrote:

Caution, sweeping statement coming up: War and unrest appear a 'natural' occurence amongst humans, history would seem to bear this out. But since WW2 we've had institutions in place to ameliorate conflict and suffering, and yet I don't see them being applied in this one-sided war. For whatever reason the US and UN wont provide protection or legal recourse to grave crimes committed against Palestine.

Of course Palestine is also guilty, however just look at the death tolls of each side to see how incredibly unequal it is. Yeah, there's a measure of relativity at play but I believe that until it's balanced the global reaction against Israel will follow suit.

Re death toll... If the mafia like Hamas would stop using human shields, then the death toll would not be as high.....
Stu, I have deplored many of Israels actions over the years.... But picture this if you would; There is a country called "Stuland".... It's been bitching with Sheepistan for years... The leader of sheepistan digs tunnels to the border, and launches rocket propelled grenades into stuland.... King stu gets pissed off, because whenever the sheepsters do it, they then run into schools, hospitals, playgrounds, and use children as shields.... The sheepsters do it again.... and again.... and again.... The stunetarians demand Kig stu does something.....
King dogga of Sheepistan laughs, cos if they attack his troops hiding amongst the children, the cameras will catch every moment.... This furthers King doggas cause...
King Stu.... Your deputy's are calling for retaliation... Are you going to show strength or weakness? ;)

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 11:50am

southey wrote:

Does it Stu ..... At the end of the day this is all created by Religion ..... My avatar mirrors this political storm ..... Davids beheading of Goliath ......

Well some may say that's not entirely true. Palestine was under Bristish mandate between the wars and Britain handed over territory to the Jews that wasn't necessarily theirs to give. Little to do with religion in that decision. More like colonial entanglement.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 11:56am

But SD, Israel have been at war with every other country that surrounds it for centuries. It has had the sympathy of the US who supply them with the latest technology of warfare in both attack and defence. What else are the Palestinians to do? They have fuck all and can only go with what they've got. The two countries have been at war over this little piece of land for god knows how long and the Israeli's do not honor previous attempts at peace negotiations. That's my take on it but please correct me if I'm wrong.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 11:59am

Sheepdog wrote:

Re death toll... If the mafia like Hamas would stop using human shields, then the death toll would not be as high..... Stu, I have deplored many of Israels actions over the years.... But picture this if you would; There is a country called "Stuland".... It's been bitching with Sheepistan for years... The leader of sheepistan digs tunnels to the border, and launches rocket propelled grenades into stuland.... King stu gets pissed off, because whenever the sheepsters do it, they then run into schools, hospitals, playgrounds, and use children as shields.... The sheepsters do it again.... and again.... and again.... The stunetarians demand Kig stu does something..... King dogga of Sheepistan laughs, cos if they attack his troops hiding amongst the children, the cameras will catch every moment.... This furthers King doggas cause... King Stu.... Your deputy's are calling for retaliation... Are you going to show strength or weakness? ;)

No doubt it's a fucked up situation, a mess that may never be resolved. But let's ask why they're firing rockets in the first place? Have you seen the ever shrinking borders of Palestine? Did you know Palestinian villages have had water and food cut off by the Great Wall? Did you know that even in times of peace Israel flies war planes over the West Bank throughout the night, sending sonic booms across the region forever reminding the Palestinians that they are captive? They can't leave, they're stuck in an open air prison with shrinking borders as the rest of the world does nothing. I don't condone firing rockets but tell me you don't understand the rationale behind it? Don't you feel a touch of sympathy for their plight?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 12:02pm

"Well some may say that's not entirely true. Palestine was under Bristish mandate between the wars and Britain handed over territory to the Jews that wasn't necessarily theirs to give. Little to do with religion in that decision. More like colonial entanglement."

Exactly..... Research "Arthur Balfour"....... Everyone can dirty at Israel, but Israel is the British Empire's baby...... Australia fought on Muslim land, which we "celebrate".......
So, sooooo much to all of this...... But bottomline, A -stop using human shields, and B- give the palestinian people a state.... "God" may have said to the jews "it's your land", but he didn't say to the jews "don't share"....... Maybe that's the "ultimate test"..... Sharing.....

Just saw your last post, stu...... Yeah, I know a lot about it...... Going back to the Ottomans and Abdulhamid.........

loungelizard's picture
loungelizard's picture
loungelizard Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 12:17pm
southey wrote:

Not in the slightest LL . My mates girl is Estonian . Every time i see her i ask her to say those two , not in any particular order .
Your a little touchey there with that subject perhaps you are ? Either way , I'm not racist . i hate everyone ....
( for everyone else , as LL doesn't want to play . 12mths when pronounced in Estonian sounds like : Cocks taste good . and carrots : Poor cunts .

loungelizard's picture
loungelizard's picture
loungelizard Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 12:17pm

southey, it means merry xmas . have a good one

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 12:18pm

Sri Lanka is the other haven for israeli surfers.

Completely divorced from race there is the cultural issue of a mass of people living on a constant war footing and most just out of serving in the army.

That tends to breed attitudes and behaviours which other people find confronting.
Not all israelis but certainly significant percentage.

It's hard to know exactly what Israel plans to achieve from this, other than the very short term sense of providing revenge to a population sick of rocket attacks. Unless they plan systematic genocide of the palestinians there's no possible way they can bomb their way to peace here.
Gaza is a land under official siege and minus a state: that will always be a grievance which will drive people to take up arms.

There's no way forward here for Israel. All they are showing the world is that they are prepared for eternal war.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 12:22pm

Thank fuck we live in Australia

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 12:28pm

Sheepdog wrote:

....King dogga of Sheepistan laughed...

King Stu also laughed at this one.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 12:30pm

[quote=Freeride )

That tends to breed attitudes and behaviours which other people find confronting.

I do love the subtleties of diplomacy at times.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 12:32pm

Stu , you chose to ignore my David and Goliath mention . This is near where this dispute started perhaps you may want to check that out ..... the resultant is not much unlike what our sydney boxer mate has done recently .... Atleast Michalangelo chose to show his image pre gore .

I totally deplore both sides for their Religous Zealotry . Before you go on to say that its only the extreme side of it , the politically correct on both sides who are supposedly innocent behind this actually do very little to counteract it , And by definitions condone and hide behind it .
As in the Extremists are just the puppets . America and much of western culture is compromised by its level of unity with Israel and jewish people abroad in powerful places .
The British colonialists are no different to many other european nations that at some time have annexed foreign lands for their own gain . The US have just taken that model to the Modern era . Silently under them Europe still underhandedly supports their position , and this has all the hallmarks of going to hell in a bread basket . I just hope our country's hands remain unstained , and secondly i hope to isolate those that dare try to bring this conflict to our shores . These societies as a group ( they the " elder " societies , should know better ) , but this is never the case .

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 12:34pm
stunet wrote:

Well some may say that's not entirely true. Palestine was under Bristish mandate between the wars and Britain handed over territory to the Jews that wasn't necessarily theirs to give. Little to do with religion in that decision. More like colonial entanglement.

True as I understand it, Jews were persecuted in the Nazi regime, forced out of Germany and other parts of Europe. Brits were fighting the Turks at the time (?) and had secured Jerusalem. Both Islamics and Jews view Jerusalem and other parts of Israel as holy lands. So the Brits decided to provide asylum for the Jews in Israel due to its religious significance, all of a sudden displacing thousands of Palestinians from their 'holy' land.

To add insult to Injury, USA is another home to a big Jewish Population so in the interests of a popular vote from the Jews in the USA, the US govt have been arming Israel since WW2
Add all the Gulf Dictatorships that have been kept propped up by the US in return for Oil agreements over the years and we still wonder why there is so much hatred towards Western Civilisation in the Middle East?

loungelizard's picture
loungelizard's picture
loungelizard Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 12:37pm
yocal wrote:
stunet wrote:

True as I understand it, Jews were persecuted in the Nazi regime, forced out of Germany and other parts of Europe. Brits were fighting the Turks at the time (?) and had secured Jerusalem. Both Islamics and Jews view Jerusalem and other parts of Israel as holy lands. So the Brits decided to provide asylum for the Jews in Israel due to its religious significance, all of a sudden displacing thousands of Palestinians from their 'holy' land.

To add insult to Injury, USA is another home to a big Jewish Population so in the interests of a popular vote from the Jews in the USA, the US govt have been arming Israel since WW2
Add all the Gulf Dictatorships that have been kept propped up by the US in return for Oil agreements over the years and we still wonder why there is so much hatred towards Western Civilisation in the Middle East?

they seem to do a pretty good job of hating each other too..

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 12:41pm

Absolute mess over there. I read an article attempting to correlate the influence of global warming in the middle east. The prediction was that food is becoming more scarce, reliability on oil profits has become insecure and destroyed the economy, which has been the underlying cause of the collapse of Egypt and Syria as people become desperate, and the Dictators no longer have the protection they once enjoyed from the US. I think the word they used was 'Melting Pot'.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 1:10pm

Yeah theres so much hate over in the middle east , been that way for forever. Cant see it changing either,and how can it when every 5-10 years the little kids see blood shed,a lot of it with there own familys or friends, so much death and destruction.Its a no win situation and goes back a long time.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 1:53pm

Some people can't live with war...... Some people can't live without it......

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 3:09pm

Damaging War Winds down your way at the mo Sheepio..?
Hope all is safe.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 5:20pm

You go out for the afternoon and see what happens.......

Just wanted to say I love diversity of thought, culture and religion; its what makes us different and interesting. Would have loved to have travelled the world last century and to have seen all that culture before it all got messed up by politicians and/or monarchs with political aspirations.

Politicians keep the Arab world at war with Israel and Israel with the Arab world. I truly believe neither side want peace because that would mean giving ground (literally in the case of Israel) and to do so is to loose power and control.

I support Israel's right to defend itself but seriously question the way it goes about it; its response always seems disproportionate to the threat it faces. I also do not understand how Israel thinks its acceptable to control Arabs in Gaza as they do nor do I accept its taking of Arab land notwithstanding the fact Jews may have lived there 2,000 years ago.

On the other hand what is Israel to do when faced with rockets fired by Arab terrorists indiscriminately into its cities? There is no denying that some Arab leaders are extremist in their thinking and actions (e.g. Lebanon, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria) and if Israel shows any weakness they would be gone.

In the meanwhile innocent people on both sides of the conflict suffer the ultimate price.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 5:30pm
wellymon wrote:

Damaging War Winds down your way at the mo Sheepio..?
Hope all is safe.

Big tree came down in last storm ( 2 weeks ago).... R.I.P tool shed.... Lawnmower... whipper snipper... wheel barrow, drill, grinder, books, hills hoist..... etc etc..... But we ok mate...... Hopefully insurance covers it......
2 nights ago was freekn radical...... And Craig, if by chance you are reading this,,, I stand by my "monster low" comment....... ;)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 6:57pm

Geez, RIP tools & shed.
They make new one champ, they just don't make new Sheepio's and family eh.
Lucky:)

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 7:41pm

hows the temp down there Sdoggy?

looks like some pretty cold speckly air in behind that front/low.

damm impressive W'ly wind belt.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 8:15pm
floyd wrote:

I support Israel's right to defend itself but seriously question the way it goes about it; its response always seems disproportionate to the threat it faces.

Stuff like this? http://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/nov/24/israel?CMP=ema_632

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 9:00pm

Powerful stuff from Haaretz. If you've taken any interest in this thread I'd urge you to read this article. It ain't long, it's written by a veteran Israeli journalist, and aside from the ghastly facts it shows how divisive this war is within Israel itself.

It's all Hamas' fault, right Israel?

nomad1's picture
nomad1's picture
nomad1 Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 11:24pm
stunet wrote:

Powerful stuff from Haaretz. If you've taken any interest in this thread I'd urge you to read this article. It ain't long, it's written by a veteran Israeli journalist, and aside from the ghastly facts it shows how divisive this war is within Israel itself.

It's all Hamas' fault, right Israel?

I wish I could read it.. I only get a short paragraph.

I was in Sri Lanka 2 years ago when something similar sounding happened there.

A bunch of guys straight out of the army were acting like jerks for a couple weeks. Locals finally snapped when they beat up a local kid who called them out on dropping in all the time. These guys got beaten up pretty bad and run out of town. I didnt witness it directly as i was out for the day at another spot but it was very gnarly apparently with the army joining in the beating and other army officers shooting in the air to get everyone to calm down.

This didnt happen because they were Israeli, just for being jerks. Actually I guess this isnt that similar to the Maldives.. it was just a pretty heavy incident at a place i was staying that had seemed very peaceful.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Friday, 1 Aug 2014 at 8:42am

YS that is a war crime and that officer should be before a UN court.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 1 Aug 2014 at 6:15pm
freeride76 wrote:

hows the temp down there Sdoggy?

looks like some pretty cold speckly air in behind that front/low.

damm impressive W'ly wind belt.

It's beyond a joke, FR...... Seriously..... Snow in Geeveston today.... Reports of snow at southport on sea level...... Wind howling...... Hail..... Fire roaring.....
But hey..... Beets living in the "holy land"....... Can't whinge too much about a shed when you see some of the carnage happening in the world.....
Cheers, wellmeister..... Some poor chick got taken out up in Launceston.... Hardcore system this one.. Looks like she's lining up the Greymouth to Westport region of Kiwiland next... :/