Quik Pro France 2016

upnorth's picture
upnorth started the topic in Friday, 30 Sep 2016 at 11:30pm

Hurricane force low and possible 11m swell heading for France in the comp window, could be interesting. JJF's to lose.

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Friday, 30 Sep 2016 at 11:42pm

Or Kellys

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 1 Oct 2016 at 6:30am

Yeah forecast charts look great. These ex-hurricanes tracking NE through the Atlantic often produce great surf though SW France is partially sheltered from the primary swell direction so it won't pick up all of the size. That being said we should see some fantastic waves from this swell, and a couple of follow up systems look like they'll maintain great surf throughout the second half of the waiting period.

Now.. Let's hope then banks are in form!

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Saturday, 1 Oct 2016 at 7:05am

I'm here right now and the banks are firing of there nut. Just a barrel fest.
Ive never seen beach waves tube so much anywhere its insane.

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Saturday, 1 Oct 2016 at 8:40am

Getting a few evo? Been pumping for the last month banks are spot on. JJF filling his boots this am.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Monday, 3 Oct 2016 at 4:10am

Surfed the contest bank today and all I can say its a tube fest. If there are going to
be swell and offshores hello to off the wall. Its mad.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 3 Oct 2016 at 6:37am

Hey evo are you staying for the contest?

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Monday, 3 Oct 2016 at 8:11am

No leaving on the 5th so will get the 1st day but to be honest if the surfs pumping I
will be up on the next bank surfing. Not as good as the contest bank but way easier
to get waves and still barrels of its nut. I thought that the contest was at supertubos
now but my lovely wife tricked me here for my 2 boys to see some pros surf. Of topic I
found that area of Peniche horrible surf city with beginners and really soft waves
except for supertubos, I wont be returning there but around Ericia wow that place
has heaps of quality powerful waves love that area. Spain forget it ordinary people
and waves. Lower half of Portugal and France go off love these areas and decent locals.

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Monday, 3 Oct 2016 at 11:48am

How's that storm behaving? Still looking good?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 4 Oct 2016 at 6:42pm
upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Tuesday, 4 Oct 2016 at 7:11pm

Looks chunky

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Tuesday, 4 Oct 2016 at 7:15pm

The drone footage gives a good perspective, dodge the close outs this morning

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 4 Oct 2016 at 7:24pm

There you go. Au revoir for today.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Wednesday, 5 Oct 2016 at 2:28am

MMMm I would say the swell is to west and straight not to mention reasonably big.
Didnt look anything like it was a few days ago!!! I surfed up the beach about 400meters
away with my boys from 1st light it just got bigger and bigger until it was a death sentence.Got a fare bit of punch at 8ft a 8ft beachie.
The contest site was just plain nasty.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 5 Oct 2016 at 5:57am

Slats has got to be pissed,only needed a 2 something...should re start the contest ...

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Wednesday, 5 Oct 2016 at 6:36am

Yep he certainly didnt want to talk to anybody.

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Wednesday, 5 Oct 2016 at 8:04am

they tell me west swells are really bad in Hossegor , straight handers and doesn't handle low tide!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 5 Oct 2016 at 8:21am

Maybe just at size though? Problem for me looked to be the size and straight nature of the swell.

Should be great once the size drops away late week.

tux's picture
tux's picture
tux Wednesday, 5 Oct 2016 at 11:44am

Couldn't they have moved it to another banks/spot...

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 5 Oct 2016 at 12:04pm

Not when the infrastructure is all setup in front of one section of beach.

discostu's picture
discostu's picture
discostu Wednesday, 5 Oct 2016 at 12:18pm

Now that was BS. No way those two heats should stand. Title contenders in both of them then the comp put on old! Pathetic!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 5 Oct 2016 at 12:31pm

Exactly discostu, imagine the uproar from Brazil if Medina had been in one of those heats and not made it through.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Wednesday, 5 Oct 2016 at 1:41pm

It's only Rd 1, a non elimination round so I can't see them re-running the first 2 heats. I ask the question why the fck this comp isn't mobile and if there's decent banks somewhere else up and won that same stretch of beach then put the best surfers in the world on the best banks. No point having epic swell and winds if the banks are shit.

discostu's picture
discostu's picture
discostu Wednesday, 5 Oct 2016 at 1:42pm

The tour is a disgrace of inconsistency and the masculine brazzos having the support and kisses of their mums, their dads, their stepdads, their step-dogs, and step-hamsters all trying to (and successfully) intimidate the girls who run the WSL.

If it had been Medina as you say, those brazzos would have gone ballistic calling for the cancellation of the tour and waxing lyrical about how much effort they have put in to being robots with no style but able to put a bunch of tail pivots together with some circus manoeuvers that have Turpell and Potter spouting crap ad infinitum about "kids" who aren't "kids".

The WSL is dire.

If there is no foundation of consistency, then you cant measure anything, and you have nothing of credibility.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Thursday, 6 Oct 2016 at 2:38pm

Why did they not run the comp yesterday? Wed. Winds no good?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 6 Oct 2016 at 5:26pm

We're On.

Looks a bit more manageable, probably a Gary to a Gary and half. Should be some action.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 6 Oct 2016 at 5:28pm

It's back on, far from perfect but still solid and peeling off a bit more.

timpaice's picture
timpaice's picture
timpaice Thursday, 6 Oct 2016 at 5:36pm

Just me or no foxtel coverage ?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 6 Oct 2016 at 5:37pm

Interesting - nothing showing via a search of the Foxtel website.

https://www.foxtel.com.au/got/whats-on/tv-guide/search?q=World+Surf+League

discostu's picture
discostu's picture
discostu Thursday, 6 Oct 2016 at 6:50pm

Noooooooooooo, Callinan's 7.17 far more vert than Median turning out on the shoulder!

Brazzillian bulldust yet again

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Friday, 7 Oct 2016 at 2:32am

I left 1 day early yesterday (wed) and now stuck in Dubai with my 2 boys because the flights
are all over booked ( staff travel )didnt even get a surf in was really bad. Now wish I stayed at
least we would of got some really good waves (thur) on our last. tux the banks are really good
its just that it got way to solid and really out of control (tues) and (wed) just plain horrible
almost as bad as being stuck here indefinitely. Now I just want OZ.

poo-man's picture
poo-man's picture
poo-man Friday, 7 Oct 2016 at 9:09pm

What was up with Kellys board? It looked super catchy and slow! Did i hear them say it was a replica of what he rode at chopes? Thats bizarre if its true as those french waves today look very soft

eel's picture
eel's picture
eel Friday, 7 Oct 2016 at 9:43pm

Yep, they said this 'gamma' board was the same as his tahiti board. He looked as boggy and slow as when he rode the banana at Snapper. No idea why he is riding super curvy good wave boards in complete mushburgers.

poo-man's picture
poo-man's picture
poo-man Friday, 7 Oct 2016 at 10:24pm

Yeah thats pretty frustrating to watch and I'm guessing he didn't even take it out for a practice earlier. For such a seasoned competitor he seems to make a lot of rookie mistakes or he just doesn't care anymore

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 7 Oct 2016 at 11:45pm

Dunno how Seabass got an 8.43 for four late hits and Adam Melling smashes three on a bigger wave for a 6.17?

edit: Maybe i was headrushing a bit but I thought AM's 6 was a little low.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 8 Oct 2016 at 9:00am

IMO Kelly just had bad luck in that heat, the ocean just stopped, reminds me a lot of my local beach, changes all the time with tide, the conditions where pretty hard, the rip started pulling harder out of the left meaning the right got kinda screwed and instead of fast running left and rights, it turned into a left rip bank with sections that go from having shape to fat in a split second, like the commenters said these days Kelly surfs to what the waves are if they a crap, he finds it hard, if its good surf he rips, still amazing he is mixing it up with the best at his age though.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 8 Oct 2016 at 9:18am

I'm glad Wiko progressed, I hope he can get a result. I reckon he was a bit hard done by at Tresltles.

I'd like to see him or John John win the title. Anybody except 'effing Medina.

I reckon Medina is the Ronaldo of the surfing world, immensely talented, brilliant tactician, petulant, a sore loser and not much better winner and just the surfer you love to hate (IMO).

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 8 Oct 2016 at 11:00am

France is by far my least favorite event to watch , actually second after Rio.
So many heats going down in either closeouts or fat garbage.
I know there are odd moments of brilliance but it's usually a slog of mediocrity.
I managed 3 heats before switching off.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Saturday, 8 Oct 2016 at 12:23pm

Compared to supertubeos France if the conditions are right it goes bananas I'm definitely
going to return. In 2 or 3 good days there I had more sick beach barrels than all my other beach
barrels combined. Supertubeos has to be the most over ratted spot ive ever been to the whole
place is just horribly.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 8 Oct 2016 at 12:46pm

They could have it at Coxos, that's a pretty mad wave. Don't think it would go down real well though with the locals.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Saturday, 8 Oct 2016 at 12:55pm

Yeh, evo, but at least at supertubos the contestable banks are consistently in the same spot. At hossegor, it changes too quick to hold a good contest. Great for travelling surfers though.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 8 Oct 2016 at 1:53pm

Is that what the problem is?
Why not make it mobile?

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Saturday, 8 Oct 2016 at 2:05pm

It is?, or at least it should be, but I don't think WSL like to move their desk around.

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Saturday, 8 Oct 2016 at 2:17pm

Pete Mel has changed...he hasn't mentioned coefficient once!?!

eel's picture
eel's picture
eel Saturday, 8 Oct 2016 at 3:48pm

It is mobile. They actually moved to La Graviere yesterday morning, only to realise it was shit without running a heat and then they moved it back to the original spot (Les Culls or whatever it's called)

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 8 Oct 2016 at 4:26pm

Why is it so hard to find a decent bank? Aren't these supposed to be some of the best beachbreaks in the world?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 8 Oct 2016 at 5:06pm

Id expect a problem would be the waves changing so much with the tides, what is a cranking bank at high tide might be puss a few hours latter etc.

It's not just the effect of high tide and low and water over the sand, but id expect the rips would change in strength and direction also changing the wave quality.

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Saturday, 8 Oct 2016 at 6:19pm

The banks are there and working, easy to find for a surfer, moving the whole circus in time not so easy. Must be frustrating for Perrow, more swell would help nail a spot.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 8 Oct 2016 at 6:52pm

Surely there has to be a reliable surf spot in the south of France?

2ft Cloudbreak is watchable, small Trestles is too. Even main break Margies and Bells, while funky and fat are actual surf spots where you get to see people actually surf.

Watching the best scrap around in close-outs just doesn't cut it as elite sport. It's like watching a Formula One where instead of driving his race car the driver has to jog around the track.
I can't think of another sport where they would run elite comps where the venue so disables the athletes.

I think beachbreaks, with very rare exceptions, just don't make the cut for CT standard venues.

eel's picture
eel's picture
eel Saturday, 8 Oct 2016 at 7:15pm

In regards to freerides comment "I can't think of another sport where they would run elite comps where the venue so disables the athletes."

The French Open in Tennis - clay. It is the most boring spectacle you will ever witness. The ball travels so fucking slowly.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Saturday, 8 Oct 2016 at 10:15pm

A contest at Coxos would be great I surfed it a lot the 1st 3 days of my trip there is also
other great set ups right there. Loved that area has tons of quality reef and point breaks
never realised that Portugal had such good waves nice people and truly great place to
surf and hangout.
Also Nasare beach has probably the best A frame hollow heavy beach waves ive ever seen
they should move the supertubos event there. Great place nice town but a warning its
over run by belly boards.