Chopes

donweather's picture
donweather started the topic in Monday, 14 Jun 2010 at 9:48am

Anyone know how well Chopes handles a direct S'ly swell? Mackin one due to hit next weekend (their time). Looking at Google earth it looks like a damn good swell direction as from what I can remember it's the swells with west in them that shutdown??

Winds look dicey mind you from the SE?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 14 Jun 2010 at 10:26am

Don,

The best swells for Chopes are from the SW, they're the ones that light up the west bowl. Although I think that once it gets over 8ft it doesn't really matter - it's gonna barrel one way or another.

I'm gonna be over there from this Friday and have been watching that swell very closely. Five days out and I'm already shaking. I'll let you know how it goes.

Stu

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 14 Jun 2010 at 9:53pm

Holy crap Stu!! You're flying into one of the biggest swells of the year up there. Take care mate and bring back some awesome pics.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 15 Jun 2010 at 7:36am

Perfect size and direction for the Tuamotus. It'll be 2/3 of the size of Tahiti as well.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Tuesday, 15 Jun 2010 at 9:49am

Perfect size and direction for the Tuamotus. It'll be 2/3 of the size of Tahiti as well.

By: "thermalben"

Gee if that's the perfect size and direction, then Tuamotus must hardly ever break??

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 15 Jun 2010 at 7:51pm

No, it breaks regularly (also picks up NW/N/NE swells too), but the predominant swell direction from the southern hemisphere is SW, of which the Tuamotus is very much sheltered by Tahiti, meaning that wave heights are usually much smaller. It's a long way to go to from Tahiti (by boat), so most people usually wait until the swell is massive and from the south.. that way they know their chances of big perfect waves is very high.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Sunday, 20 Jun 2010 at 10:32am

So are we likely to see any footage from Stu whilst he's away?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 20 Jun 2010 at 10:56pm

Yep - assuming Stu can access the internet while he's there (he's staying at a couple of different locations). But then again.. part of the reason for going on holidays is to not have to log on to the web!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 21 Jun 2010 at 1:17am

trying to use french keyboard so scuse the mistqkes. very big todqy on moorea 10ft plus. surfed a very good right by myself [yep, THAT right Crqig] but protected so half thqt size. chopes apparently good this morning. no photos cos weather is torrential rain since qrriving and the waves so far offfshore. a fucking crab stole the car key i hid for my hire car and cost me 500 bucks for a replacement. bout to surf nother reef pass. pouring rain big swell offshore wind.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 21 Jun 2010 at 1:21am

hahaha!

erm, sorry to hear about the key Stu.

hahaha!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 21 Jun 2010 at 1:29am

yeqh thqnks ben

shouldve seen me trying to explqin to lqdy behind rental car counter how it happened. le nip nip nip and took key. with crab actions and all.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 21 Jun 2010 at 2:59am

yeqh thqnks ben

shouldve seen me trying to explqin to lqdy behind rental car counter how it happened. le nip nip nip and took key. with crab actions and all.

By: "stunet"

Gold Stu!!! :)

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 22 Jun 2010 at 1:18am

Sounds like you scored that right Stu, and it sounds like it would of been a perfect size as well!!

Love the french keyboard errors, sure you're not putting it on ;) haha

And I could only imagine you trying to make crab noises and movements to explain the key, gold!