Autumn is here!!

donweather's picture
donweather started the topic in Tuesday, 2 Mar 2010 at 9:53am

And you can smell the swell on the horizon!!! Just need those crisp offshore mornings to kick in and all will be schweet!!!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 2 Mar 2010 at 10:19pm

Indeed! Looks like that North Island will block a bit of swell for our East Coast for next week. On the upside it looks as if the Sydney region will still recieve a fun pulse of E/SE swell from a burst of gales through Cook Strait on Saturday.

batfink_and_karate's picture
batfink_and_karate Wednesday, 3 Mar 2010 at 2:29am

Enjoying the feel of the change of seasons.

Craig, what's the story with the forecasts. I know others have praised the new site, but I'm having trouble finding things on it. Went looking for your forecasts and came up with the forecast written on 24/2, still referring to the previous week's supposed 4-5 foot swell on the Friday (not at this north east facing beach, not by a long way)

Outsider's fantastic reports have also been joyfully received, but damned if I could find them by looking for them from the home page. Had to go to stu's forum telling us about them and use the url posted.

Apologies if I'm the only one struggling, wouldn't be the first time.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 3 Mar 2010 at 2:31am

B&K, What browser and version are you using?

There must be some issues with very old versions as everything has been updated regularily and The Outsider articles are the first links on the homepage under the WOTD.

batfink_and_karate Wednesday, 3 Mar 2010 at 4:30am

IE7.

It's all very strange really. Something's up. Outsider is there, under wave of the day, cool.

For a surf report and forecast site, having to click through to Surf Reports and Forecasts is a bit strange, besides, I'm not looking for a report or forecast of Maroubra, I'm after your overall synopsis. Can't get there except to go through Reports and Forecasts > NSW > Maroubra > then I have to click on forecasts on the side, and then I get your report for 24/2!

Rest of site, I see Ryan Thomas on point at Trigg (plus other photogs, Quiksliver pro, then swellnet sessions etc.

Isn't swellnet a surf forecasting and reporting site primarily? Getting there is a bit crazy. Personally I would put reports with individual beaches on its own, and forecasts as a separate tab, covering large areas of coast and forgetting about individual beaches.

God I am confused. Not having a go at all mate, a deadset enquiry. BTW, you do know me. I've left a clue.

clif's picture
clif's picture
clif Wednesday, 3 Mar 2010 at 10:47am

it seems you have to have the very latest of your browser or things get cached weird. happened to me exactly like you are explaining but on firefox. did the update and all is good,. mine was one behind the latest version and it was out of whack on SN

batfink_and_karate Thursday, 4 Mar 2010 at 1:11am

At home atm and using IE8 at home. Clicked through to curent forecast. I was thinking it may be some strange caching problem as Clif says.

Needed to be up very early for the 'bra to be worthwhile. Surprised at the 3' call, but may not have seen any sets, only there about 10 minutes. May check this arvo based on your call of a pulse but the wind was well into it at about 10.00.

Maybe the early tomorrow.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 4 Mar 2010 at 1:45am

I'm thinking you're Olds B&K

And these groundswells are very very inconsistent. There will be nearly flat conditions inbetween the sets which are in the 2-3ft range.

Later this afternoon's pulse will be even less consistent due to the winds responsible for the swell being further away from our coast, but it's always tricky forecasting these swells that spread out from the Southern Ocean. Sometime they don't show and then other times they push in fairly consistently at places like Bondi, Curly and especially up at Newy.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 4 Mar 2010 at 2:13am

^^^Clif and I bodysurfed a rockshelf in the Maroubra region (no more clues) and there were easily three feet waves coming through. Bloody inconsistent, but three foot nevertheless.

batfink_and_karate Monday, 8 Mar 2010 at 2:31am

Must have been very directional Stu. I don't think I posted as early as 9.11 am last Thursday, but Maroubra was pretty horrible, small swell and wind was into it by then.

Let me know if you are heading out this way again late in the week and I'll see if I can join you.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 8 Mar 2010 at 3:07am

^^^I'm living not too far from there now so have the odd session with Clif. I'll drop you a line next time we're making morning plans.

Be prepared though: Clif likes to go bodysurfing or matriding these days cause it means he can ride his scooter to the beach.

batfink_and_karate Monday, 8 Mar 2010 at 11:41am

Oh that I have got to see........

Worth the price of admission alone. :-)

Let me know if you get on a drinking session with the bugger, I can walk home from there.

On second thoughts, forget about that.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 16 Apr 2015 at 8:41am

It's been pumping here.... pumping on the east coast.... Pumping on the west coast.... A freakn crazy swell heading for S.A, West coast tassie, vicco...... More insane east coast swell (plus east coast tassie) predicted for next week...... If anyone is whinging, they should be water boarded.....