Early July ECL

shred_sled's picture
shred_sled started the topic in Thursday, 30 Jun 2011 at 12:09am

Just had a look at the synoptic charts and theres a reasonable low forming above NZ on Sunday (03/07), intensifying through Monday. Thoughts on Sydney's outlook? Another weekend like we had in the first week of June?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 30 Jun 2011 at 12:24am

Hi Shred_Sled,

These systems that form just north of New Zealand never really produce any considerable sized swell for the Sydney region unless they move back to the west and sit on top of the North Island.

I've been keeping an eye on this system and Sydney isn't likely to top 2ft to maybe 3ft across east facing beaches on Wednesday next week.

Also it's not technically an ECL as ECL's are classified as deep and powerful low pressure systems that form right off the Australian East Coast producing torrential rain, destructive winds and large storm swells.

I'd keep your eye on the strong series of cold fronts that are expected to push up from the Southern Ocean into the Tasman Sea from Tuesday onwards.

We should see wave heights reaching the medium to possibly large size-range from the south into Thursday afternoon and Friday.

Your best bet is to check out the Sydney extended forecast notes tomorrow, Monday and next Wednesday.

shred_sled's picture
shred_sled's picture
shred_sled Thursday, 30 Jun 2011 at 12:54am

thanks for the lesson!
you can probably tell im a bit of a noob with forecasting. i see the isobars close together and i get excited