7 books you will psyche on and should totally read: What Youth

stunet started the topic in Monday, 17 Feb 2014 at 9:08am

Here's a list that gladdens. What Youth and "7 books you will psyche on and should totally read."

I often bemoan the fact that good writing is a dying art. It ain't necessarily true but it sometimes feels that way. The yoof, it always seemed to me, could buy a Canikon for a couple hunge, flood the 'net with images, and call 'emselves artists - easy! But unlike photography there's no shortcut to good writing: no autofocus, no colour correcting software - it's hard fucken work. And the first step toward it is to read lots and lots of great writers. So yeah, glad to see the yoof - What Yoof! - spruiking seven good books. Bit limited in scope and style but a good list nonetheless.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog commented Monday, 24 Jul 2017 at 8:47pm

Non fiction classic- A pattern of islands - a facinating account of young british man posted to the south pacific in the 1920s catching the untouched culture

Fiction - Name of the wind by patrick rothfuss and the second The wisemans fear. Fantasy that creates such an interesting world, cant wait for the third. That said by someone who rarely reads fiction, let alone fantasy. If you read it be patient and dont have distractions so you can savour the story.

Frogg

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy commented Monday, 24 Jul 2017 at 9:18pm

John Richardson's biography of Picasso. You will never look at the world in quite the same way!

Shatner'sBassoon commented Tuesday, 25 Jul 2017 at 1:47pm

Great books, BlindBoy.

Norman Mailer's Picasso biography - Portrait of Picasso as a Young Man - is an interesting take. Controversial too. As always.

"It's impossible to truly comprehend others until one's plumbed the bottom of certain obsessions about oneself."

Blowin commented Tuesday, 25 Jul 2017 at 4:03pm

Shatner - You're not still jerking off in the mirror are you ?

I thought you'd got that sorted with the chemical castration.

Back on your medication , young man !

Shatner'sBassoon commented Tuesday, 25 Jul 2017 at 4:43pm

Wise words, Blowie. Take heed. What with that and your continuing 'psychological projection', and now your gun-talk...

hmmmm...

On the off-chance that you're more Martin Bryant than Kurt Cobain - and that you're not just BULLSHITTING...AGAIN - maybe, can you not, like, ever interact on here again? With me especially?

It's for the better. For everyone.

I live overseas now anyway.

Cheers, maaaate. All good.

Yeeeeeew!

Blowin commented Tuesday, 25 Jul 2017 at 5:13pm

Thank fuck for that.

Shatner'sBassoon commented Tuesday, 25 Jul 2017 at 5:39pm

Nah, I'm only bullshitting ya, Blowie!

I thought you couldn't bullshit a bullshitter?

You're not Martin Bryant's bolted-on board. Couldn't/wouldn't blow the froth off a Southwark Stout.

You a Kurt, though?

R U OK?

Nah, really...

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey commented Tuesday, 25 Jul 2017 at 6:44pm

Mmmm, Clare Valley Brewing Co. Extra Stout. Pricey but good shit*.

Burp!

(* Going in and out)

Shatner'sBassoon commented Friday, 18 Aug 2017 at 6:53pm
Blowin commented Saturday, 19 Aug 2017 at 4:31am
Shatner'sBassoon commented Tuesday, 12 Sep 2017 at 1:46pm

Statue Haters Past & Present: a poem for Andrew Bolt

by JOHN KINSELLA

So, the right-wing newspaper columnist
calls out the ‘statue haters’ — those
who sign off on The Age of Exploration.

These statues are as innocent as history.
For him, they are factual whereas
the Stolen Generations are a construction.

O, the legacies of the printer’s hellbox.
Contraindicative, we see the fusing
of ‘refugees and terrorism’, we hear

the denial of compensation for the brutalities
of Manus Island. The Columnist — point blank —
prefers statues over refugees, over Aboriginal

peoples’ rights to their own country.
But the statues have aged with the climate —
changing, that is. Transforming. Assimilating?

His readers might deny that also. The script
of the navigator — observe what is useful
to your patrons. Sink all rivals’ boats.

And statues. Keep the sea-lanes open
to The Crown, your protector — don’t sail
over the edge of the world, but brave it out.

The statues aren’t white, not usually,
which is a flaw in the choice of materials —
in the casting. ‘Statue haters’ should paint

over statues with white paint only, white
as pigeon shit — bring out their essence,
the truth.

Blowin commented Tuesday, 12 Sep 2017 at 2:01pm

Ode to a jet - ski person...

By The Mad Cow , WA

Jet - ski person , selfish fink
May your silly jet -ski sink,
May you hit a pile of rocks,
Oh hoonish, summer coastal pox.

Noisy, smoking dickhead fool,
On your loathesome leisure tool.
Give us all a jolly lark,
And sink beside a hungry shark.

Scream as in its jaws you go,
Your last attention seeking show.
While on the beach we all join in ,
With three cheers for the dorsal fin !

A letter to the editor featured in the single greatest surf themed book in the entire history of the world : " Surf Stories - The best articles from 15 years of Australia's Surfing Life."

stunet commented Tuesday, 12 Sep 2017 at 2:09pm

Great book but not great fact checking: the poem was a direct (read: word for word) rip off from Leunig.

Craig Jarvis' tale of being paid to trial medical drugs was a blast, plus NC's three typs of waves.

stunet commented Tuesday, 12 Sep 2017 at 2:34pm

Shatner'sBassoon commented Tuesday, 12 Sep 2017 at 3:34pm

"At the white man’s school, what are the children taught?
Are they told of the battles our people fought,
Are they told of how our people died?
Are they told why our people cried?
Australia’s true history is never read,
But the black man keeps it in his head."

Anonymous. 1971.

Blowin commented Tuesday, 12 Sep 2017 at 5:08pm

Stu , I can't believe you just did that to me.

I've admired that anonymous poet from afar for years.

Discovering there was no Santa had nothing on how I feel right now.

PS - Just a great book all round . I reread it a couple of days ago. One of my three copies....I can't walk past it in a 2nd hand book shop.

Too true about the Nick Carroll stories. But not just him , All of them to be honest.

6 world class waves in a day. Stories from the desert issue .

That's probably my favourite period of surf writing - irreverent , funny , achingly Australian in flavour and just so surf saturated. Less industry garbage , just surfing and its culture for the joy of it .

Nick Carroll has the credentials and the voice that spans the divide between surf celeb sycophancy and pure stoke. I still think about that bit on the Indian Ocean sometimes when I'm marinating in it.

After his stint in the USA Its like he's had a Jerry Maguire moment and is once more aware of the bearing that Pro surfing actually has on most surfers . That is to say very little in their day to day surfing reality. Now if only he would stop using the words " heck " and "like " in the context of the San Clemente surf world and claim his rightful place as the godfather of Aussie surf writing.

But maybe that's just me ....I've never thought more of him than when I heard his nickname was Woggo and he kept a bong on his desk .

stunet commented Tuesday, 12 Sep 2017 at 4:55pm

Truth is the highest goal Blowin!

And ruining dreams is just a fun byproduct.

I've long wondered how Gra Murdoch felt when he found out that poem was plagiarised. Being a man of letters, I'm sure Gra did eventually discover the dastardly duplicity.

You out there Gra?

Shatner'sBassoon commented Tuesday, 12 Sep 2017 at 6:46pm

So........"Truth is the highest goal Blowin!

And ruining dreams is just a fun byproduct", hey?

Alright for some?

(and before ya blow a gasket, have a squiz at the comments up the top of this page...maybe starting from the fourth one down)

Shatner'sBassoon commented Tuesday, 12 Sep 2017 at 6:47pm

Blowin commented Thursday, 14 Sep 2017 at 1:48pm

Favourite book titles.

I'm a big fan of the dripping sarcasm that is Irvine Welsh's -" If you liked school, you'll love work"

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey commented Thursday, 14 Sep 2017 at 5:58pm

For book titles alone, Bukowski is a ripper.

My faves:

Flower, Fist, and Bestial Wail

Confessions of a Man Insane Enough to Live with Beasts

All the Assholes in the World and Mine

Erections, Ejaculations, Exhibitions, and General Tales of Ordinary Madness

South of No North

Play the Piano Drunk Like a Percussion Instrument Until the Fingers Begin to Bleed a Bit

Ham on Rye

You Get So Alone at Times That It Just Makes Sense

The Captain Is Out to Lunch and the Sailors Have Taken Over the Ship

Shatner'sBassoon commented Thursday, 14 Sep 2017 at 6:07pm

"Ham on Rye"

Now that is what you call self-awareness!

Speaking of which, and Irvine Welsh, what about "A Smart Cunt"?

Hah!

skull's picture
skull's picture
skull commented Thursday, 14 Sep 2017 at 8:31pm

Freakonomics ....didn't think I'd get into it but a very good read. And same with Sapiens. Well written but taking me ages to get through it. I have got a Jock Serong book on order

Shatner'sBassoon commented Wednesday, 20 Sep 2017 at 6:49pm

Book of the day.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy commented Sunday, 24 Sep 2017 at 12:12pm

Lanark - Alasdair Gray. Kafka on steroids.

Shatner'sBassoon commented Monday, 25 Sep 2017 at 5:48pm

'Rage, rage and the dying of the right', a poem by Guy Rundle.

“Satisfied I’m Australian, to be blunt”
Mr Galileo* said; AstroLabe? A little pissed:
“I’d had a skinful, wanted to nut the cunt”

“I ‘Ask Jeeves’d the address, to bunt
The form my sister had filled in; I missed!
Satisfied I’m Australian, to be blunt”

“Call the media!” he said, as he slumped**
Four decades on, a same-sex Glesga kiss
“I’d had a skinful, wanted to nut the cunt”

“The uh ‘no’ case”, the Gauleiter sez, “bears the brunt”***
Ah love, you hate self, but your reading this****
“Satisfied I’m Australian, to be blunt”

What a Friday! Two uglies, bumped!*****
What brave new world is this?
“I’d had a skinful, wanted to nut the cunt”?!
Satisfied we’re Australian, to be blunt

Guy Rundle does not endorse political violence. If you have been affected by the issues raised in this villanelle, call 13 11 14

If you have been forced to write a villanelle in a second-year English course, change to comp. sci.

Notes by Dr Sue Rature, Head of Tinder Studies, William McMahon University (Ulverstone):

*Senator Malcolm Roberts is a member of the climate change denialist Galileo Society; my favourite footnote in his empirically evident papers is “everyone knows this”

**In the ’70s, drippy cableknit-clad Christian Monash student political doof Peter Costello was beaten up quite badly (badly as in violently, not as in artlessly) by an anarchist, because well … actually for defunding a student anarchist paper. Those were his final words before slipping into unconsciousness.

***Eric Abetz is the great nephew of Hitler’s ambassador to Vichy France, Otto Abetz, and it is very unfair to keep raising this.

****Here’s looking at you, kid.

*****Coooooooome On! That’s goooooood!