Asymmetrical board shapers in Asutralia

alwood82's picture
alwood82 started the topic in Wednesday, 19 Apr 2017 at 7:50pm

Hi there everyone! I'm after suggestions for having a Ryan Burch Asymm replica made by a shaper that knows Asymmetrical board design. Most of my local shapers are fairly traditional with their approach to board shaping due to the types of waves we have over here but I feel like these things Ryan Burch and others are doing would be really functional over here and I've since forth become fascinated with the Asymm theory. Can anyone point me towards some good Asymmetrical shapers in Australia?? Much appreciated!

udo commented Thursday, 20 Apr 2017 at 9:14pm

stunet commented Friday, 21 Apr 2017 at 6:45am

What coast are you on Al?

tux's picture
tux's picture
tux commented Friday, 21 Apr 2017 at 8:05am

Corey Graham in Torquay

alwood82's picture
alwood82's picture
alwood82 commented Friday, 21 Apr 2017 at 7:26pm

Thanks for the recommendation Tux, I will definitely check him out. Stunet Im from Margaret River and I'm looking for something that can handle some of the more open ocean waves down here when they're a bit smaller. Think of Mainbreak from the CT, shit wave but just an example. Cheers.

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam commented Sunday, 23 Apr 2017 at 7:56am

Marty littlewood from delta designs has been doing assys for 40 years he made them with col smith . Also he makes them for windsurfing , kitesurfing , tow surfing etc .
lots of the shapers in WA have dabbled , its standard to have an assy shape for the west .

stunet commented Monday, 24 Apr 2017 at 9:25am

Yeah Al, I was gonna mention Marty Littlewood, he's originally from Redhead in NSW and made channels with Col Smith back in their late 70s heyday before moving to SW WA. He also experimented with asymms and applied them to windsurfing - he shaped a lot of windsurfers through the 80s.

My only reservation is that asymm theory on a windsurfer is not necessarily the same as on a surfboard.

Because windsurfers could switch stance the theory was based around the direction a wave was breaking - long edge off the bottom, short edge off the top.

Not sure what Martin thinks now but 'general' thinking is based around stance, not wave direction - short edge on heel side and long edge toe side.

I'd advise reading up all you can about the fundamentals of board design and formulating theories based upon what you want. Recently I spent some time talking asymms with South African shaper Donald Brink and I came away armed with yet more knowledge about tweaking asymm theory. Exciting stuff.

Try and find a shaper who's equally excited as you are, someone who doesn't treat you like you're wasting their time.

Lastly, don't go for the big asymm changes first (three fins this side, one fin on that side). Make changes relative to the boards you're riding now, that way you'll know why your new board is doing what it's doing. Besides removing the mystery, this helps if you want to continue with asymms; you'll know how to tweak any subsequent board(s).

Bograil's picture
Bograil's picture
Bograil commented Monday, 24 Apr 2017 at 10:04am

Hi mate
I've had Murray Bourton shape two of these for me recently , based on photo's and info I could get on Mr.Burch's boards.
They work great - I surf in around Torquay , so only go one way...
Muzza has these on file and ready to go.
Good luck.

alwood82's picture
alwood82's picture
alwood82 commented Monday, 24 Apr 2017 at 10:55pm

Thanks for all the info guys. Learning about Asymm's Stunet is kind of like learning about surfing all over again. Super excited to get into it. Thanks for the info Clam. I've seen Delta boards around town since birth and actually have a 9'0 triple stringer from him. Beautiful boards. I have actually seen a few of his asymm's around town over the years as well but didn't know he specialised in them, so I will definitely go say hello. And Bograil What sort of boards did you get replicated? I'm definitely going to contact Murray Bourton and maybe get something done by him. So where to from here......Bourton or Delta? Or both! Hmmm