Watch: Box, Bowl, and the Burkes

Reels

Brothers Josh and Jacob Burke display a hundred different ways to set up the Soupbowls barrel. Each example filmed between September 14th and 24th when Barbados was hit by swells by twin tropical hurricanes - Paulette and Teddy.

Those ten days mark "one of the most epic swells ever recorded in Barbados surf history," according to Josh.

Comments

Ray Shirlaw's picture
Ray Shirlaw's picture
Ray Shirlaw commented Tuesday, 27 Oct 2020 at 5:07pm

Salt in the wound or what Boys...ahh big deal,a6second barrel then nothing

mrkook's picture
mrkook's picture
mrkook commented Tuesday, 27 Oct 2020 at 6:43pm

Sick! What I would give to pull into some kegs like that right now!

MK

Sheep go to heaven's picture
Sheep go to heaven's picture
Sheep go to heaven commented Tuesday, 27 Oct 2020 at 9:43pm

Far out , theres some good barrell riding there !! , just needed a bit of reggae in the first half

zenagain commented Tuesday, 27 Oct 2020 at 10:00pm

Some of those waves give a pretty fair impression of Backdoor or OTW.

Agreed, some fine tuberiding going on there.

1173

rogerdodger's picture
rogerdodger's picture
rogerdodger commented Tuesday, 27 Oct 2020 at 10:34pm

Exactly what I thought Zen. Backdoor for sure. Those boys know how to make the most out of the kegs on offer. Good surfing. Just sent me a little bit more stir crazy here in metropolitan Melbourne. Almost there though, c'mooooonnnnnn!! To the local boys, I will display etiquette of the highest order at all times when I return, scout's honour.

zenagain commented Wednesday, 28 Oct 2020 at 12:02am

You've earned it Roger.

Hope you jag a set wave.

1173

rogerdodger's picture
rogerdodger's picture
rogerdodger commented Wednesday, 28 Oct 2020 at 11:21am

wax-on-danielson's picture
wax-on-danielson's picture
wax-on-danielson commented Wednesday, 28 Oct 2020 at 6:37pm

Think I remember seeing soupbowls as one of KS's top 10 favourite waves. Probably did a few out and run missions from Florida.

ljkarma's picture
ljkarma's picture
ljkarma commented Thursday, 29 Oct 2020 at 8:57am

Ah Soupbowls, flew into Barbados in the 70's rented an old VW bug in Bridgetown and headed over the island pulled up to find it going off and not another surfer in sight. I had it to myself for a few days and was just a like a smaller version of Sunset while wife soaked up the rays on a deserted beach.
In between surfs gave my board to some local kids to have a go inshore, took to it like it was cricket, hope they went on to become the local surfers.

cycd's picture
cycd's picture
cycd commented Thursday, 29 Oct 2020 at 5:01pm

Another on the bucket list

tango's picture
tango's picture
tango commented Friday, 30 Oct 2020 at 11:19am

On the bucket list for a few others after this, I reckon.

radiationrules's picture