Climate Change

blowfly's picture
blowfly started the topic in Wednesday, 1 Jul 2020 at 9:40am

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 5:11pm

So now the LNP have realised that denialism and doing nothing will not work at the next election, they want to disown the evil ways of their past....well except for Matt and Barnabubby..

Screen-Shot-2021-10-11-at-5-07-43-pm
incline smileys

Roker's picture
Roker's picture
Roker Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 5:31pm

Yeah. Well nothing’s changed. Nothing's going to change. The Murdoch press just trying to greenwash them over the line in the electorates where the doctors' wives might vote in one independent too many.

Of our mouthy ex PM's at least Rudd is doing a pretty decent if self interested and ego stroking job of exposing the machinations of Newscorp.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 5:31pm

Good post at 12:30 Hutchy.

I forgot that point the other day, another positive is management of floodwaters, if smart you can prepare for times of high flood water risk and lower water levels in the dam, catch the flood water and reduce the flooding downstream.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 5:50pm

On the money there Roker.

Roker's picture
Roker's picture
Roker Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 6:13pm
blindboy wrote:

So now the LNP have realised that denialism and doing nothing will not work at the next election, they want to disown the evil ways of their past....well except for Matt and Barnabubby..

Screen-Shot-2021-10-11-at-5-07-43-pm
incline smileys

Funny how things can change though. The conventional wisdom in some quarters is that Labor is unelectable, dying even, because it will never be able to reconcile the competing interests of its working class suburban base and the socially progressive inner suburban professionals. And all of a sudden along comes a blue blood like Simon Holmes à Court and the conservative climate party and the LNP finds itself in a situation similar to Labor.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/oct/08/climate-200-raise...

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 7:01pm

Read that article BB. Crazy how those observations are going in some regions outside 3-4 sigmas (standard deviations).

As has been predicted with a warming planet the extremes and outliers become bigger and wilder.

Thanks for sharing.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 7:07pm
brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 12 Oct 2021 at 8:12am
blindboy wrote:

It's very concerning Craig as is this.
https://www.smh.com.au/business/markets/an-economic-storm-is-hovering-ah...

the real worry is that the world stock markets have backed that the current inflation is only short term because of the Pandemic.
Inflation has now reached a stage where it looks much longer term , which means a big correction in the Global Stock markets , and the only way to slow down inflation is put up interest rates.....
We are about to see an amazing set of circumstances play out in our Global economy that we have never experienced before....the biggest boom in Real estate but no wage increases , economies in recession from the Pandemic , booming St0ck market based on ?? , lowest interest rates, supply chains decimated , costs of freight increasing like we have never seen...shortage of energy, Globally prices going up everywhere because of the laws of supply and demand.....
There has to be a correction very soon...

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 12 Oct 2021 at 8:17am
Hutchy 19 wrote:

Brutus - All the reading I was given by people like you and the example of the Thompson dam shows that our mega dam does NOT devastate eco systems . In fact the opposite .

You keep saying there is not enough water to fill new dams . You should know that you are wrong . If we built a new dam at the time we built the de sal plant it would be 85% full like all our other dams . If it was on the Mitchell River there has been 3-5 floods in that time . One flood would probably fill it .

We are using water and creating CO2 from the de sal plant NOW because it is too expensive to turn the bloody thing off . Our dams are 85% full , we don't NEED the water from the de sal NOW .

I know no matter what I write ( which you don't read as I have already said all this before ) you will not open your mind . A pity . Why don't you come out and say we need another 2 de sal plants to be ready for the next mega drought . If we don't build any dams we will need them .

We have no floods in Vic that I know of so it isn't as wet as it gets . Rainfall is close to average .

Maybe you are saying we won't have any more floods ? I guarantee you will be wrong .

Hutchy because you don't read and understand the links I give you , this is getting very tedious...so I have to move on from you and your lack of general knowledge....

The fact that you say " we don't need the de-sal plant now " means you didn't read the link that shows Vic Govt bought $65 m last year and $75 m this year of water from the de-sal plant......so we are already using the de-sal plant.....contrary to your made up claims....bye!

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 12 Oct 2021 at 8:19am
indo-dreaming wrote:

Good post at 12:30 Hutchy.

I forgot that point the other day, another positive is management of floodwaters, if smart you can prepare for times of high flood water risk and lower water levels in the dam, catch the flood water and reduce the flooding downstream.

Indo , feels like you are trolling.....so destroy eco systems in case there's a flood , LOL! Floods actually serves a purpose in flushing out water ways ...ah......let's just cement the whole lot!

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 12 Oct 2021 at 8:25am

The question is when brutus. My understanding is that the US is about to pump more money into the system so the ride might continue for a while yet. The fundamental issue is the inequality in the distribution of wealth and the fact that a lot of the stimulus money globally was badly targeted and ended up where it would not only do no good, but actively make things worse. When the wealthy get more money they do not increase their spending on goods and services, which are the bedrock of the economy, they use it to push markets higher. If it all unwinds it will be very ugly for a long time.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 12 Oct 2021 at 8:25am

Brutus -"the real worry is that the world stock markets have backed that the current inflation is only short term because of the Pandemic."

You are wrong again ! The world stock and bond markets do factor this in . That what markets do in a capitalist world .

The REAL worry is that the Central Banks think it is transitory due to covid . They have already change from real targets to average targets . Their view of transitory can be fluid . How long is bloody transitory ? They will then change their story to inflation is GOOD .

You say - "There has to be a correction very soon..." . I say markets always have corrections . You think the rich can predict them but I say no one can be right on the timing . If someone proves to be right on this I will remind you a broken watch is right twice every 24 hours .

In past crashes the stock market has fallen and money went into bonds . With Bonds being 3 times as expensive as stocks do you think that will happen this time ?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 12 Oct 2021 at 8:26am

The markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent.

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Tuesday, 12 Oct 2021 at 8:34am

This is from 2011, I know there has been a lot of debate on other threads re MMT etc, but does the same macroeconomic thinking still apply?
https://www.cnbc.com/id/44051683

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 12 Oct 2021 at 9:21am

SG - had a quick look at the article . About to head out so will be brief .

Had a discussion with others on SN re printing money on another thread . Not much fun .

Any country can print money but due to past experience do not do it due to very negative consequences .

The US has the worlds reserve currency . Due to this they are the ONE country that may get away with it for a short period of time .

In general countries should only print money to replace old money and maybe a bit more to cater for some other factors like inflation .

I will try and correct BB ( unable to remember the other silly person who couldn't get what lending and bond issues meant ) responses when I get back .

BB - you say "The markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent."

About time you came up with a statement that is correct . I think that is one of Keynes sayings .

On the upside AND on the downside I would add .

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 12 Oct 2021 at 10:04am
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 12 Oct 2021 at 2:13pm

BB - funny how that they were trying to point out "Don't forget about the importance of COAL " . It is probably Thermal coal ( used to generate electricity ) .

The price was $70p/t in late 19 and went down to $55 in the middle of 20 . NOW it is $240p/t . NEVER been higher !!!!!!

I thought you were anti Scomo and Barnaby ? Why would you show a picture PROVING how smart they were ?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 12 Oct 2021 at 2:18pm

No mate just to show what hypocrites they are arguing for net zero 2050

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 12 Oct 2021 at 2:44pm

It shows how wrong you can be BB.

They were right to point out that coal was still needed around the world . I am sure you agree that the high price shows this . Have a look again , they brought the coal into parliament NOT to spruik their Climate Change policies but to promote coal . Even Barnaby is not silly enough to bring in a lump of coal to promote CO2 saving policies .

Australia ARE phasing out Thermal Coal for electricity production and don't produce much steel that needs coking coal . OTHER countries might have trouble getting to net zero 2050 . We will do a better job .

The LNP have that target and a least Pelosi was willing to acknowledge the PM for his endeavours on his recent trip . I rate her views a little ( tiny ) bit higher than I rate your views but that is not saying much .

BB - From my experience I don't think you have a good idea on anything let alone any idea on what I do or don't stand for .

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 12 Oct 2021 at 2:42pm

Well several decades of opposition to acting on climate change as well as the removal of the carbon price have left us in a crisis in which the alternatives are a very different world for future generations or a serious cutback in emissions now with the accompanying discomfort. I have a pretty good idea where you stand on that issue.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 12 Oct 2021 at 2:56pm

I want us to reduce CO2 emissions . I know that people like you will still want to drive and fly to go surfing , use the aircon and heater when hot or cold and are unwilling to use alternatives or go without .

I propose we ditch the CO2 spewing de sal plant and build dams or power it with nuclear energy ( wind and solar are no good as we can't turn the fucken thing off ). Is that a good start ?

You keep squealing about a carbon price and carbon trading being scrapped . Wall Street agree with you and are desperate for it to be introduced . They say they are only wanting to help the world and are not interested in the money they can make . And you believe them !!! Shame on you for your lack of common sense !

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 12 Oct 2021 at 3:04pm

Mate it is the oldest con in the do nothing handbook. Convince people that the solution is personal sacrifice when the real issue is lack of planning and investment for the transition over a long period. And the deal plant, in the context of this issue, is totally trivial. How doc you feel about being an upstanding member of the generation of swine? Because that is what you are, a fine example of the greediest collection of humans that have ever existed, unwilling to make any change that might interfere with their precious fucking lifestyle or delusional ideologies.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 12 Oct 2021 at 4:14pm
blindboy wrote:

Mate it is the oldest con in the do nothing handbook. Convince people that the solution is personal sacrifice when the real issue is lack of planning and investment for the transition over a long period. And the deal plant, in the context of this issue, is totally trivial. How doc you feel about being an upstanding member of the generation of swine? Because that is what you are, a fine example of the greediest collection of humans that have ever existed, unwilling to make any change that might interfere with their precious fucking lifestyle or delusional ideologies.

Listen to this hypocrite.

You know how change will come? When Fck sticks like this are coerced and ordered directly by governments into altering their individual contributions, which they’ve held onto for years, under the self justification that if they just brow beat others on the internet it all evens out.

When, and only when, we are all priced out of driving our cars and flying overseas will it dawn on the mouth breathers above that it IS individual emissions that cause the problem. By the time that happens, the old fucker will be decrepit and his movement will be limited and his joy will come from brow beating those who resist as he did for years. You can read these pieces of shit like a book.

“It’s not individual contributions” they say as 7,600,000,000 humans aspire to driving their own cars and joining the middle class. How freaking stupid can you be?

And guess who’s not going to have their lifestyles compromised to save the planet? The Nazis at the top of the pyramid who want to force everyone else to relinquish their concept of existence. They’ll still be flying around the world and have private vehicles.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 12 Oct 2021 at 4:30pm

No comment necessary
Screen-Shot-2021-10-12-at-4-28-23-pm

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 12 Oct 2021 at 4:45pm

I am willing to make a quick comment . BOTH headlines look good to me .

The rest of the world wants and is prepared to pay the highest price for the best quality coal on the planet . Queenslanders want jobs as they told the rest of Australia at the last federal election . Remember Scomo's Bradbury impersonation ?

You bitched about no one doing the net zero 2050 BB and now you bitch when a newspaper writes a headline promoting the same thing .

I have clearly noticed you getting nastier and more unhinged in the last few days . Perhaps posting too much ? It is not healthy as you correctly told me .

Stu is deciding on my future and maybe yours as well ?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 12 Oct 2021 at 5:12pm

Both hinges well oiled and in good working order. Checked your own lately? The upper one sounds a bit loose and creaky from.here.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 8:49am

BB -you say "The upper one sounds a bit loose and creaky from.here."

Not sure how facts can be creaky ! Coal is high and you did bitch about 2050 .

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 9:22am

I’d say the pin is totally gone BB, doors flapping in the breeze. Completely unhinged.

“How do you feel being an upstanding member of the generation of swine?”….gold

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 9:23am

BB and soggybrain - Some more facts if you believe China .

Chinese premier Li Keqiang said: 'Energy security should be the premise on which a modern energy system is built and and the capacity for energy self-supply should be enhanced,' the Guardian reported.

'Given the predominant place of coal in the country's energy and resource endowment, it is important to optimise the layout for the coal production capacity, build advanced coal-fired power plants as appropriate in line with development needs, and continue to phase out outdated coal plants in an orderly fashion.

'Domestic oil and gas exploration will be intensified.'

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 9:29am

Blowin, the onus on the individual argument has been shown to be a weapon of the do nothing crowd time and time again. We need a strong government leading with good policy. Don’t drive your car and turn off your aircon you hypocrite is the argument of the retarded.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 9:49am

What’s your point Hutchy?

Are you saying we should kick the can down the road a little longer because “China”

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 10:00am

Soggy - Not sure what you mean by kicking the can down the road a little longer .

The implications of China's actions are obvious and confirms views help by anyone with common sense .

The Paris Agreement is a fraud . China will always act in it's best interests . Coal will be a vital part of theirs and the worlds modern energy system . That the PM was right to point this out in parliament . That people like you and BB are naive in believing otherwise .

It confirms a lot more but I don't think you and BB will even be able to digest the above so I will stop here .

Sad I even have to point these points out .

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 10:04am

Hutchy doesn't do points, just ill defined areas out there in a fantasy world.

But he seemed to be thrashing around about China's emissions. China has a net zero target of 2060 and as a totalitarian state, has no political barriers to getting there. Meanwhile we have no meaningful target and have to watch Morrison and Barnabubby do their Cheech and Chong impersonations trying to keep the dinosaur vote while pretending to care.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 10:12am

BB- You are such a fool to believe China .

You say " China has a net zero target of 2060 and as a totalitarian state, has no political barriers to getting there. "

Please try and get it into your small brain that China has NO intention of doing this . That makes the Pairs Agreement worthless . China WILL ALWAYS do what they think is in their best interests .

They have signed multiple trade agreements and reneged on them ALL . What do they have to do to make you realise they can't be trusted ?

Try and step into the real world as it is you and soggy that are currently in Fantasy Land .

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 10:14am

You’ll never get a sinophile to be honest with themselves about China.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 10:31am

We’re all making assumptions on China, we’re assuming they’ll move towards a target you’re assuming they’ll do nothing. One thing is for sure that I’ve seen from China lately is that if they say they’re going to do something, they usually do. They don’t give a fuck who they offend.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 10:34am

Hutchy, China will act in its self interest and, unlike most countries, they take the long view. This means that unlike the collection of parasites, thieves and corporate mouth pieces posing as our government, they will factor in the certainty of a rapidly deteriorating climate with more frequent and more intense heat waves, floods and storms, as well as rising sea levels, when making decisions. Then, regardless of your political views, you need to recognise that for an economic system that has raised billions out of poverty over a few decades, dealing with emission reductions is unlikely to prove much of a challenge.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 10:57am

BB- ", they will factor in the certainty of a rapidly deteriorating climate with more frequent and more intense heat waves, floods and storms, as well as rising sea levels, when making decisions. "

Fine , you can believe in fairytales .

They just stuffed up with the energy needs and have had to get provinces to ration energy , Did their long term planning plan this ?

They underestimated the effects of letting Evergrande implode . Another long term plan .

Just like "the collection of parasites, thieves and corporate mouth pieces posing as our government" they do make mistakes .

I agree with Blowin and that you are unable to be honest re China .

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 11:04am

Absolutely indifferent to your opinion of me Hutchy. But here's something you don't see every day.....common sense from.the high court!
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/sacked-climate-sceptic-loses-hig...

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 11:04am

Absolutely indifferent to your opinion of me Hutchy. But here's something you don't see every day.....common sense from.the high court!
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/sacked-climate-sceptic-loses-hig...

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 11:12am

"Dr Ridd’s battle for integrity in science will not end today. The IPA is pleased to announce that Dr Ridd will become a Fellow of the IPA to lead a new research program at the IPA entitled the Project for Real Science." executive director John Roskam said.
The IPA funded by Gina,,,,"Real Science"
What a fucken joke this country is.
Meanwhile Bolt having conniptions at Murdoch's News latest greenwash.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 11:24am

Forgot to mention China's wonderful record planning for something extremely important in the long term .

Demographics ! How did their one child policy work out ? That's right , they recently changed it to a two child policy . That's right , they just changed it again to a have a no policy on children policy .

Impeccable long term planning .

Just like they will do with climate change .But they will have a policy of what they will tell us they will do and another policy for what they will do .

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 1:30pm

Yes how ridiculous to change your policy when the evidence changes! At least we can rely on the COALition never to do that! They wait until the opinion polls change (or for old Rupe the Rat to issue new orders.). Leadership? Ha ha ha.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 1:38pm

BB- You should have said you change the policy when your previous policy was wrong .

What can possibly change with demographics that could,t be predicted ?

What could change with regard to energy requirements other than the weather ?

Why change the rules with Evergrande ( and all the tech industry ) when you are unable to predict the consequences ?

Please don't reply as your totally lame excuses are as poor as they are predictable .

China good planners , we are bad . Lets leave it there .

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 2:05pm

" What can possibly change with demographics that could,t be predicted ?"
Death rates, internal migration, labour force demand etc etc.
"China good planners , we are bad ."

Their advantage is their authoritarian system which we do not wish to follow. Our handicap is our moronic populist politics that seek to follow public opinion rather than lead and to elevate small issues for political advantage while ignoring the important ones.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 2:24pm

BB - FFS - same bloody reply that was given a few posts ago . Stop wasting your time repeating yourself .

You cant admit the long term planning is fallible . I really get it !

Your love of their authoritarian system explains why you want Australia to follow suit . The big problem for your wishes is that most Australians HATE an authoritarian system . Australian want their government to have " moronic populist politics that seek to follow public opinion rather than lead " us up a garden path where we don't want to go . It is called democracy where we get to throw out a group the doesn't perform . It is called Freedom .

We wish people like you would go live in China and stop telling US what you think we should do .

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 2:19pm

Ah Hutchy, calm down mate and try to address what I actually said rather than what you wanted me to say.

"Their advantage is their authoritarian system which we do not wish to follow. "

That's what I said, note the use of WE, plural inclusive.

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 2:26pm

hang on a sec, I'll just google "plural inclusive." Be back in a tic

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 2:40pm

Your views and arguments make clear that WE Australians don't hold the same views as YOU .

As I said we outnumber YOU and your mates . We think OUR system is better at managing our wants now and in the future . WE don't shout from the rafters that OUR system is moronic . We think it is the BEST and will shout it from the rafters . We think their system stinks and IS the biggest danger to world peace .

All you do is say how GREAT their authoritarian system is . Never any negatives . Grow up please . It is your type that an authoritarian system weeds out first remember .

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 3:11pm

"Our handicap is our moronic populist politics that seek to follow public opinion rather than lead and to elevate small issues for political advantage while ignoring the important ones."

So you don't understand what "populism" means. Your problem mate! Nothing I said implied any disrespect for our political system, only for those who fail to live up to it by following rather than leading. The current collection of rentiers, n'er do wells, and religio-maniacs maquerading as a government are a good example.