East swell direction for Victoria

Victoriasurfing1's picture
Victoriasurfing1 started the topic in Friday, 3 Jun 2016 at 3:19pm

With the swell hitting the whole east coast from the ENE Craig has said in the forcast notes today that Victoria could get from easterly swell Monday and Tuesday and I was just wondering if anyone could explain in detail what effect that has on the reef breaks and beachbreaks.
Does it make them better or worse ?
More peaky or just the same?
Would be really interested to no by the way it is going to be offshore so it will be clean so will this combined with the swell direction help the waves be better than the usual WSW/SW direction we normally get
Cheers any comments appreciated

Victoriasurfing1 Friday, 3 Jun 2016 at 3:20pm

Any stories when you surfed with a East swell direction in Victoria would be interesting to hear aswell

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 3 Jun 2016 at 3:27pm

It's quite rare and could possibly be blocked by the islands at the entrance to Bass Strait but I think there is enough size to overcome this.

Will be interesting to keep an eye on the Lorne Surfcam.

But really it won't be too dissimilar to a stronger period south-east windswell.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Friday, 3 Jun 2016 at 3:52pm

There are some spots "east of Melbourne" I wouldn't mind checking out if I had a few days free. All would be a full blown mission to get to by car and then by foot or boat.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Friday, 3 Jun 2016 at 5:53pm

Not Tellin .

Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu's picture
Hako o hakonde ... Friday, 3 Jun 2016 at 6:05pm

Ive got a boat leaving Port Albert on the Monday for the day, $150 a spot, basic luch provided.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Friday, 3 Jun 2016 at 7:56pm

" Just sit right back and y'all hear a tale , a tale of fateful trip .......
Morris was sailing man , Shaun the skipper brave and true ....
Here on Hako o hakonde ini nu biki 's Isle !

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Friday, 3 Jun 2016 at 8:04pm
southey wrote:

" Just sit right back and y'all hear a tale , a tale of fateful trip .......
Morris was sailing man , Shaun the skipper brave and true ....
Here on Hako o hakonde ini nu biki 's Isle !

Mmmmm Ginger

Hako o hakonde ... Saturday, 4 Jun 2016 at 8:07am
Victoriasurfing1 wrote:

Any stories when you surfed with a East swell direction in Victoria would be interesting to hear aswell

Yeah Mate, there are some interesting stories about east swells over the years but you'll have to find your own, That's the difference between surfers like you and me, I go down the beach cause I love it and see it in all sorts of conditions and surf the crap conditions for something to do, whereas the internet jockeys that needs to be told when it is going to be good enough to make the effort to go down the coast has no idea where to go cause he has never bothered surfing howling onshore easterly swell cause that never came up on his swell event alert! It may be be epic at certain breaks but will probably be very average.

Hako o hakonde ... Saturday, 4 Jun 2016 at 8:06am

Mary-anne was my favourite Floyd, but as I got older my appreciation for Ginger grew and I wanted both.