Sunshine Coast surf report

Parkie's picture
Parkie started the topic in Saturday, 2 Jan 2016 at 12:10am

Gday,
I've been reading this forum for many years and i've finally got to a point where enoughs enough.it's in regard to the daily Sunshine Coast report.Now I do not,and have ever met mr pridmore,and he has been doing an amazing job,day after day committing himself to report his findings to the MORE lazy of those who couldn't be jack shit..I do honestly commend mr pridmore for his enthusiasm and commitment.Yet,it seems he is mostly wrong.Now don't get me wrong I enjoy reading the various reports daily.But I read them after I've gone and surfed it myself

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 2 Jan 2016 at 6:31am

Hi Parkie, the Sunny Coast is a pretty big area and there's often quite different conditions between the northern end and southern end (same if our Goldy report was reporting from Main Beach every day, it wouldn't reflect the state of the points). And, conditions do sometimes change rapidly throughout the day, just as you'd observe in the surf yourself.

It's impossible for our reporters to be everywhere, so we find it's best that you use the surf forecasts for an overview as to what to expect over the coming days, then use the surf reports as a verification tool against the forecasts (did the expected new swell arrive? Was there a delay on the wind change? Is the surf bigger or smaller than expected? etc).

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Saturday, 2 Jan 2016 at 8:48am

Would also be good if Parkie provided more info on what he means by "wrong". A problem can't be fixed unless the problem is well defined in the first place.

spidermonkey's picture
spidermonkey's picture
spidermonkey Saturday, 2 Jan 2016 at 10:07am

Yeah hard to call it today,for example,northern beachies,thumping 5ft,round the corner at nationals,flat! Southern stretch looks underwhelming by the daily photo.somewhere there was the goods,but you've gotta search for it.I guess He's just gotta call it from what he sees directly.I reckon only couple spots deserve the 7 out of 10 today

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 2 Jan 2016 at 12:29pm

There's one simple thing to remember with the sunny coast..... Swell angle.... A east swell, or ene swell will have basically uniform size from the outer Noosa point to Caloundra.... Once you get a pinch of south in it, even ese, the whole game changes.....

Parkie's picture
Parkie's picture
Parkie Sunday, 3 Jan 2016 at 4:34pm

Good afternoon,yes I understand that I preside on a fairly broad stretch of territory and conditions can change from North to South..And entering my 21st year of living here ive obtained a fair grip on what conditions will suit certain spots..But in my opinion I think you can narrow it down on a high percentage of days..the points not withstanding noosa,carties,moffat ect,moffats being classed as a pointbreak that's another story,generally what I've found is wurtulla to the pocket is comparable to the north shore to sunshine On a majority of days with NE to SE swell..As was pointed out anything with South you head north...Mdore mostly a foot or two smaller as with kings beach and mooloolaba well it hasn't been any good since the 80's..Like I said, I never use these reports as a basis for my daily surf,there's no substitute for having a butchers hook at sparrows yourself..But I do always look at the morning report after my surf,only because it's what I do while I munch away on my post surf muesli and fruit salad..Some like reading the paper Id rather swellnet..I guess in retrospect I was being a bit harsh,and I shouldve explained myself better..I happen to live very close to where the reporter has something to do with a little surf shop..I could piss on the front door if I stood on my roof with a gusty South easter blowing,so I'm presuming he checks the same stretch as myself each morning or somewhere close by..My gripe was that on many many occasions I've been surprised by the difference in opinions between the report and what I've just surfed..I suppose in the greater scheme of things it pretty petty of me and it doesn't really matter..

Parkie's picture
Parkie's picture
Parkie Sunday, 3 Jan 2016 at 5:13pm

Just had information passed my way that they closed Kawana beach at the surf club today because of quite a nasty looking shark doing the rounds..Not sure how true the story is but dare say I might give the late one a second look today

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Sunday, 3 Jan 2016 at 7:05pm

Sunny coast is a bay.I take granny there to here tan on...

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 4 Jan 2016 at 3:31pm

There's only one place to base yourself on the sunny coast, if that's where ya gonna live.... It it sure aint M/dore to caloundra.....