Balance Wrist Bands, Necklaces, Sweatbands.

radbone08's picture
radbone08 started the topic in Tuesday, 21 Sep 2010 at 4:40am

Do you think they work?
If they don't then the guy who came up with it is making a shit load of money.

If you don't know what i'm talking about here is the link:
www.powerbalance.com/international/?hl=au

sanpedro's picture
sanpedro's picture
sanpedro Tuesday, 21 Sep 2010 at 6:22am

Of course they dont work you idiot!

Its a piece of plastic with a sticker on it. Albeit a shiny silver sticker but a sticker all the same. Try clicking on the "How It Works/Learn More" tab on their website - blank. That's funny, they seem to have had plenty of time to fill out the testimonials page, team page, online shop, retailers list, etc. As for how it works- dont seem to be able to get past the old line "works with your bodies natural frequencies". All sounds very scientific but where is the science??

Furthermore, dont be fooled by "testimonials" from pro sportsmen/women. They make a career out of endorsing product and get paid handsomely for it. You think Andy Irons gives a shit whether or not they actually work? "Power balance increases my confidence and performance" - AI. No, Andy, thats the cocaine.

One last point, people may think that they work but that's all a testiment to the power of our brains (ever heard of a placebo?). And also people's level of stupidity/gullability comes into it - possibly encouraged by the aforementioned testimonials page.

Dont buy that shit its a fucking scam.

Sorry for calling you an idiot.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 21 Sep 2010 at 1:13pm

Hear hear....

I concur with sanpedro.

thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber Tuesday, 21 Sep 2010 at 11:56pm

I have to wear a similar thing at work that gives me access to the till and cash system (sometimes I do some pouring drinks at the local pub). Before it was ready and I had to type in a number I was so slow. Now with the wrist band I can operate the till so much better.
Also sometimes when I try hard I can do handstands and backflips over the bar.
Powerbalance has changed my life.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Wednesday, 22 Sep 2010 at 12:15am

Do you think they work?
If they don't then the guy who came up with it is making a shit load of money.

By: "radbone08"

So why would he be making a shitload of money if they didn't work? That statement doesn't make sense. The fact is, work or not money is coming in by the bucket loads for this guy and good on him. I wish I could come come up with an idea to sell to all those people with way to much money so they can hand it over to me.

josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2 Friday, 24 Sep 2010 at 10:28am

sanpedro is right it's all in your head, if you think they are going to make you perform better you will because it gives you confadence

grazza's picture
grazza's picture
grazza Friday, 24 Sep 2010 at 10:23pm

Could work through the placebo effect. If you truly believe something works it will to some extent often work (or you think it does, which is almost the same thing).

The placebo effect is very weird. Did you know for example that the measured placebo effect from taking a blue pill is substantially greater than that from taking a white pill? And that the placebo effect of an injection is way higher again?

So, if you believe a little bit of plastic on your wrist changes things hard enough, it might just do it. But you have to be pretty fucking stupid to believe that, wouldn't you?

grazza's picture
grazza's picture
grazza Friday, 24 Sep 2010 at 10:36pm

So why would he be making a shitload of money if they didn't work? That statement doesn't make sense. The fact is, work or not money is coming in by the bucket loads for this guy and good on him. I wish I could come come up with an idea to sell to all those people with way to much money so they can hand it over to me.

By: "shaun"

Well you could achieve that by taking a gun into a bank, for example.

In a nutshell, that's what's wrong with the ethical standards of our society. People think it's OK to get rich by conning others into buying useless crap, or worse, destructive crap. Well, you know, it's not OK. Not one little bit. Power Balance, like other con jobs before it, is theft, pure and simple.

lennoxlocal's picture
lennoxlocal's picture
lennoxlocal Saturday, 25 Sep 2010 at 12:48am

As the old saying goes, 'fools and their money are soon parted'.

ben-colyer's picture
ben-colyer's picture
ben-colyer Thursday, 30 Sep 2010 at 12:49am

Rads, they are a con.

Do this experiment. Pinch one off a dopey mate (don't part with money for one)and wear it for a week and see how you perform. Then take it off and wear a rubber band around your wrist for another week and tell us which works better.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 9 Jan 2015 at 2:29pm

We received some promo about a new, similar device earlier in the week (via a PR company). They said:

"Sharkbanz uses powerful, patented magnetic technology to deter sharks without harming them by interfering with their electroreceptors".

Looks like they managed to get plenty of news outlets to cover their launch:

http://www.news.com.au/technology/gadgets/can-you-ward-off-a-shark-for-80-simply-with-a-sharkbanz/story-fnda1lbo-1227178322046

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 4 Jun 2016 at 10:12am

Modom have Mark Mathews on board with there magnetic shark detterant legrope.......Finally its mentioned by a manufacturer that nothing will stop a GWS in attack mode.

Modom Shark Leash : Vimeo

saltman's picture
saltman's picture
saltman Saturday, 4 Jun 2016 at 10:40am
thermalben wrote:

We received some promo about a new, similar device earlier in the week (via a PR company). They said:

"Sharkbanz uses powerful, patented magnetic technology to deter sharks without harming them by interfering with their electroreceptors".

Looks like they managed to get plenty of news outlets to cover their launch:

http://www.news.com.au/technology/gadgets/can-you-ward-off-a-shark-for-80-simply-with-a-sharkbanz/story-fnda1lbo-1227178322046

Search You Tube for sharkbanz / terra australis (or something like that) a definitive video - a shark eating a baited sharkbanz ! Apparently sharks are immune to placebo

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 4 Jun 2016 at 10:51am

Read this - I.C.B.S. Everywhere Sharkbanz.

Or If your a believer.. save yourself a few bucks and buy some rare earth magnets on Ebay and put them in your keyholder on your legrope .

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Saturday, 4 Jun 2016 at 11:15am

Udo,done that but they rust,had a mate put some in his board and fiber glassed over them .That new Modom legrope is using Shark banz technology in there legrope which means they have a magnet in the ankle strap but they are $250 bucks, so over priced its a joke...talk about prey on peoples fears.

BobC's picture
BobC's picture
BobC Saturday, 4 Jun 2016 at 3:35pm

I've had them in my leggie for a while wrapped in duct tape but not too much as you need to expose them to seawater a bit to generate the electrical field correctly. I bought 4.5 KG pull Neodymium and Samarium magnets from a Sydney magnets mob about 20mm long and fairly thin and made a chain in the key pocket. My new update plan is to drill 3 small holes across the back of my tailpads kicks and sink three small neodymium rare earth magnet cylinders in with a dab of silicon spread across the back of the pad, but face the north poles outward to get a nice field. At about $7 or $8 bucks each that's $21 per board so not bad to hopefully turn an inquisitive Bull shark during the mullet run or fishy time of lunar cycle. Worth a go if they are fair dinkum about the tech I suppose.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 4 Jun 2016 at 3:40pm

They are avail plastic wrap / bonded for not much more than bare .

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 7 Jun 2016 at 1:01pm

im pretty sure Jesus wore one while walking on water and turning water into wine. Check mate atheists!