The New Board Thread!

stunet's picture
stunet started the topic in Friday, 20 Jan 2023 at 8:38am

For all those shiny new sticks...that aren't Desert Storms

Uploading photos?

We highly recommend 'imgur' for image hosting (http://imgur.com/). You don't even need to register with them (although if you do, it'll help you find previously uploaded files).

Simply upload a photo via the 'Computer' link on the RH column, follow the instructions and then copy the URL provided under 'Direct Link (email & IM)'.

Then in a forum thread, wrap the image URL with image tags, ie [img] and [/img].

For example, [img]http://_______[/img]

tiger's picture
tiger's picture
tiger Monday, 17 Apr 2023 at 5:55pm

Ain't that the worst.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 18 Apr 2023 at 4:18am

Yep. Commiserations :-/

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 18 Apr 2023 at 7:50am

Noo!!

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam Tuesday, 18 Apr 2023 at 1:10pm

hey IB , those fins are same as I have , did you custom order that shape ?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 18 Apr 2023 at 1:29pm
freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 18 Apr 2023 at 2:20pm

damn, I want some!

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 18 Apr 2023 at 2:42pm
Clam wrote:

Came with the board, Caml. And I still can't get over how much drive the board has with those tiny fins. Very happily surprised.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Tuesday, 18 Apr 2023 at 7:43pm
Island Bay wrote:
Clam wrote:

Came with the board, Caml. And I still can't get over how much drive the board has with those tiny fins. Very happily surprised.

Rail, tail width, channels... skill eh

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Thursday, 20 Apr 2023 at 10:52am

About to sell my car and treat myself to a couple of new boards. What are people dreaming of at the moment? The real gap in my quiver is just a board for bread and butter days on the beaches, though I've never had a proper fish before (though I'm not sure who is making them in Aus at the moment). I even toyed with the idea of something ridiculous like a glider but getting one to Tasmania would cost as much as the board I imagine. Keen to know what everyone has their eye on!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 20 Apr 2023 at 10:59am

I just got the new Gskate, it's like the old POD from Al Merrick but more high performance as the tail comes in quite tight and nice.

Haven't had a board off the rack for years, but got sold by Timmy from Aloha's sweet talking.

Got the 5'6" and it goes really good. Wanted a board with normal 2-4ft beachies.

It's fast, loves bowly, sucky waves and is loose. A few shots of it after having it a week..

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Thursday, 20 Apr 2023 at 11:16am

Looks like it's working for ya! I'll check it out.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Thursday, 20 Apr 2023 at 12:53pm

Craig what fins are you using in the g skate....?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 20 Apr 2023 at 1:13pm

Using the Need Twin Fins with Chippa Wilson Captain Fin Co nubster.

https://needessentials.com/products/twin-fins

Only reason I'm not using the Chippa Twins is I'm missing one side.. The Need ones are fairly similar in template.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 20 Apr 2023 at 1:23pm

Which side are you missing?
I lost one on the rocks and have a side fin spare.

(bought a new set)

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 20 Apr 2023 at 1:26pm

Ooo, that'd be great! I think it's left side when standing. I'll check this evening.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 20 Apr 2023 at 1:27pm
freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 20 Apr 2023 at 1:27pm

OK, I'll find the remaining fin and see which one it is.

Edit: just found it- it's the left side when standing.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Thursday, 20 Apr 2023 at 5:38pm

Looks like Craigo has scored FR

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 20 Apr 2023 at 8:52pm

Yep! Great result.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 30 Apr 2023 at 12:27pm

Craig got some G Skate Pics ?

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Sunday, 30 Apr 2023 at 12:43pm

Got the 8'0 Keogh out in really good waves. 2 x OH+, long, fast.

Absolute hell paddle where I got dragged 1km off course before finally getting to the outside peak. Then had a pretty dreamy session, catching 20 solid waves in 3 hours, before finally throwing in the towel. Board is definitely a keeper, and it'll probably outlive me - unless I get hold of Kelly's cobra blood recipe.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 30 Apr 2023 at 1:10pm
Island Bay wrote:

Absolute hell paddle where I got dragged 1km off course before finally getting to the outside peak. Then had a pretty dreamy session, catching 20 solid waves in 3 hours, before finally throwing in the towel. Board is definitely a keeper, and it'll probably outlive me - unless I get hold of Kelly's cobra blood recipe.

That’s a very good effort IB , 20 waves in 3 hrs , wave every 9 minutes. Were you the only one out ? Stoked for you that the board performs for ya , what boards did you unload ?

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Sunday, 30 Apr 2023 at 1:17pm

2 then 4 skis out doing stepoffs, but no other paddlers. Big lineup, so didn't have to turn down many waves due to the skis. Did a LOT of paddling!

Sold a 6'10 Chilli Mid Strength; 6'4 DS; 6'2 Byrning Spears; 8'6 Webby not-quite-longboard.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 30 Apr 2023 at 1:21pm

I’ve only had 1 surf in average waves on the 6’6” DS , it feels way different to the 6’ 10” in that it feels really loose , was it the same for your 6’4” and 6’10 DS ?

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Sunday, 30 Apr 2023 at 1:30pm

The 6'4 was really good for the imperfect reefs where I used to live and surf, but I like my Ghost better for the points here. My 6'10 is Cold Dead Hands level :-)

Ash's picture
Ash's picture
Ash Sunday, 30 Apr 2023 at 6:35pm

IB I've had my 6'10 DS now for 3 or 4 months, and I fully concur an epic board.
I think I'll get a 7'0 as well and up the volume a few litres, for more paddle power in windier conditions

poo-man's picture
poo-man's picture
poo-man Sunday, 30 Apr 2023 at 10:50pm
Island Bay wrote:

Wow IB thats a solid effort. Were you surfing the rights or the lefts? Paddle out the harbour entrance? I've never surfed out there without motor assist so I'm impressed

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Monday, 1 May 2023 at 4:41am

Poo-man, tried my usual trick of paddling out south of harbour entrance and sneaking out between inner and outer bar Got stuck there held back by relentless whitewater.
Finally I managed to get to clean water, only to get rushed south - halfway to Manu. Hugh rip chop (2-3ft) made paddling very hard, but then i got outside the rip and quickly made way to the outer peak (right).
I hear that the left was good too.

poo-man's picture
poo-man's picture
poo-man Monday, 1 May 2023 at 6:34am

Good work on that effort. Not something I'd go doing on my own so I'm impressed. You might have got there quicker paddling from manu. The rip pulls you towards the bar anyway on the outgoing tide getting near low. Lost a board out there once years ago after breaking a leash on the ledge

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Monday, 1 May 2023 at 6:51am

The currents change all the time, as the sand moves. On Thursday there was a huge eddy between Manu and Bar, so you'd get pulled northwards into it from Manu, and vice versa from the north.

I've paddled the place more than 100 times, and check the currents/sand daily, but still get surprised. The one thing that never changes is that the rip will have its way - man, you feel tiny and powerless!

poo-man's picture
poo-man's picture
poo-man Monday, 1 May 2023 at 7:41am

Good effort, you've got way more on me then. My total bar sessions are about 20 across many years. For a long time the right was just too fast to be very makeable but recent years better ay? I'm a keen fanatic of the beaches north and get up there all the time when they're on. Hundreds of bar crossings under my belt but not many surfs there

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Monday, 1 May 2023 at 11:41am

Only got three today, pman. Had to beat a hasty retreat when it rained so much I could see my lineup markers, haha. (One was an absolute beauty, though, so worth the effort.)

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 1 May 2023 at 11:50am

I.B. Do you have a GoPro ... GobPro ?

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Monday, 1 May 2023 at 11:56am

Udo, I have an old GoPro that I've done a few ski clips with. Use it about once a year.

Would never, ever paddle out with one in my mouth - even old kooks have pride! - but I have thought of sticking it down my wettie just to shoot some ambience clips out there.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 17 Jul 2023 at 3:59pm

IB and others - Which way does your Legrope Pin face
Rail to Rail or Nose to Tail ?
Stu had a couple of Mystery Swims from a Rail to Rail install..like this

This Nose to Tail install stops that ever Happening - Tell your Shaper ...
@ 23:40 https://www.youtube.com/live/dDxUmcQDBfM?feature=share

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 17 Jul 2023 at 5:15pm

just checked my boards and all of them face across rail to rail

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Monday, 17 Jul 2023 at 5:41pm

Yep all rail to rail here too, except one, a JS which has the plug to the right of the stringer and the pin at 45 degrees.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Monday, 17 Jul 2023 at 10:06pm

Had a quick look, all my Websters and Lost are rail to rail

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 18 Jul 2023 at 6:38am

Mine are all rail to rail. Never had a pin or plug pull out.

Speaking of plugs, I always gently round the inside edge, so as not to chafe the string, and make sure to check the string often. And do the double loop trick he shows in the video; puts half the strain on the string.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Tuesday, 18 Jul 2023 at 6:41am

Morning IB. Could you explain what you do to the 'inside edge'?

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Tuesday, 18 Jul 2023 at 6:41am

Morning IB. Could you explain what you do to the 'inside edge'?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 18 Jul 2023 at 6:55am
Island Bay wrote:

Mine are all rail to rail. Never had a pin or plug pull out.

Speaking of plugs, I always gently round the inside edge, so as not to chafe the string, and make sure to check the string often. And do the double loop trick he shows in the video; puts half the strain on the string.

I do Same - Have always knocked that Sharp Edge off
Would be a Horrible swim in from your Favorite Outer Sandbar IB

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 18 Jul 2023 at 6:51am

I take a very sharp knife or razor blade and run it around the inside edge of the plug (maybe at 45deg) to give it a small chamfer/bevel. Then a bit of sandpaper to remove any rough bits.

Some plugs don't need it, but others are super sharp.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Tuesday, 18 Jul 2023 at 6:57am

ok thanks, nice and proactive - all I've ever done is throw that sharp edge suspicious looks.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 18 Jul 2023 at 7:07am

I tried scowling at it, but no noticable effect :-)

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 18 Jul 2023 at 7:11am

Not bothered about the swim nor the rock hop, but this was the result of a leggy plug set rail to rail so the pin pushed into the foam. Was an unreal board and wouldn't have happened if set down the stringer.

First and only time it's happened but if it's simple to avoid then worth mentioning to your shaper or glasser.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Tuesday, 18 Jul 2023 at 7:15am
Island Bay wrote:

I tried scowling at it, but no noticeable effect :-)

haha, I'd get that on a t-shirt. Some people still seem to have resting lockdown-face as their default.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 18 Jul 2023 at 7:26am

:-)

Bud1's picture
Bud1's picture
Bud1 Friday, 25 Aug 2023 at 11:15pm

‘MP paddles into waves with very little effort.’

‘Fit as, more foam under the chest, lower rocker etc’

https://www.swellnet.com/news/reels/2023/08/25/watch-torquay-1970s

Always. The whole idea of ‘desert storms’. Now being reduced to 5’ 10 and 31/32” x 2 and 30/32” ‘step ups’, unceremoniously being hurled everywhere, including gumtree, but not down those faces, meaning not any faces, but those faces.

The other ones sneaking in are my wife’s. The custom rack hook board holders are mine too.

6’ x 215lbs with abs. Heavyweight. And no padded rashies. Never. Ever.

6’ 10” x 3 1/4” x 22 1/2”

7’6” x 3 1/4” x 22 1/2”

Built to last. Gleaming surgical instruments. Gearboxes.

5-CAF51-E9-FCD0-4716-BB16-D718-CFFCD91-B
EB2071-C4-0-F14-4776-A22-F-A727-DC4-DE9-B9
20-D53-E8-E-5-E8-F-41-D7-96-F2-5071-A0-B1-FAE4
23-AB8-FFF-395-B-4-F48-8088-B7157301-AC42
7-CC4-C27-F-4-B41-41-E2-B5-F4-567-E6-E0-F43-BB
F429-B796-C5-E4-498-A-A2-EB-DBE5-B40-D0432

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Tuesday, 9 Jan 2024 at 3:12pm

Stu .....or anyone with any experience with edge board designs....are they worth the effort or not....been thinking about one of Phil Myers shapes in a longer mid length or mal shape ?