Mettal.xyz review

surfatnorth79's picture
surfatnorth79 started the topic in Tuesday, 11 Jun 2019 at 10:35am

I have recently purchased a twinny from Mettal.xyz and tried to purchase fins at the same. I have never left a review of anything before (long time listener, first time caller!!) on any forum.

Like alot of people these days, I do most of my shopping online. So I wanted to buy a twinny and thought I would try out Mettal.xyz. That was my first mistake. Blake from Mettal.xyz was quick to reply to emails during working out the details of the board and payment, and he said it would take 4 week to make.

After 4 weeks i emailed metall.xyz to asked how the board was going. No response to my email, so 2 weeks later I sent another polite email, again no response. Cut a long story short. it took over 2 months to the board and the glassing / finish was poor quality, there was hand prints over the board that a good fine sanding would have fixed.

The big issue was getting fins. Blake from Mettal.xyz sent me an email (just when I got the board) stating the price of the fins. I transferred the money and sent my response email stating I had transferred the money, 2 hours after Blake's email. no fins were sent and no response was received for 2 weeks, so i sent an polite email seeing where the fins were, no response. A week later another follow up email, and Instagram DM, requesting he refund the money asap. Blake finally replied and agreed to transfer the money. It took another 2 weeks (5 weeks all up) for him to transfer the money back and some more pointed messages - well he kept $15 of the $119 originally paid, I guess he charged me a tax for dicking me around.

It is the worse retail experience I have had online, and I left this review so no one else has to deal with these issues. Support your local shaper, I just ordered a gun from Wizstix and the board and experience is great.

chimpsdontsurf's picture
chimpsdontsurf's picture
chimpsdontsurf commented Wednesday, 10 Jul 2019 at 4:16pm

This supplier is awful and customer service is none existent once they have your money. Avoid at all costs. I never leave reviews either, but these guys are so bad I don't want other people to lose any money. Really really really bad. Don't do it. Go see your local shaper.

morg's picture
morg's picture
morg commented Sunday, 14 Jul 2019 at 12:36pm

As a side issue, how does the board go and what fins did you end up using?

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg commented Monday, 15 Jul 2019 at 11:28am

I just don't understand how someone buys a board online. I just have to feel and smell the board in the factory. Just have to talk to the shaper. It's such a personal experience. I would feel somehow robbed filling in a form on a computer.
Having said all of that, it's good for people to have these reviews available if that's the way they get a new board.
Hope you get some good ones on your new board North79.

I'm not cheap,
But I'm free.

Pigdoggaaa's picture
Pigdoggaaa's picture
Pigdoggaaa commented Saturday, 20 Jul 2019 at 7:25am

Hey North79,

I had a very similar experience with Blake. I saw a couple of his boards online and thought I’d give them a go, one being a twinny the other a short board.

Quick to respond whilst sorting out the dimensions of both boards I appreciated his help and decided to deposit for 2. A 40% deposit too!
I’m in business myself and had my doubts so before paying I checked his ABN, business history etc.. it seemed all good so I proceeded to order. After 4 weeks he said my boards would be available to pick up as they have been delivered too Sydney so I go to pick them up and find that the twinny is exactly as requested but the shorted board is the wrong dimensions. I spoke to his dad whom I was picking them up from and the. Blake on the phone stating that I’m only paying for the twinny so I paid the remaining price only for 1 board. Blake has said that he will be re sending me my other board and I can the. Pay for that when it arrives but I have sent off various emails to him asking him where it is and have still had no reply.

Then I stumbled across your review and kind of felt lucky as my twinny is overall a good surfboard.

Not too sure what’s going on with Mettal but I’d avoid using hem for any more boards. unfortunate because the Twinny is really nice.

Just thought I’d post it up as I ordered my board around the same time May/June and felt the experience and customer service was absolutely shocking.

Wiz stix make some nice boards ey, hopefully you have more luck with him!

Cheers

Pigdogaaaaaa

BR's picture
BR's picture
BR commented Friday, 27 Sep 2019 at 2:21pm

Hi guys,

This is actually Blake from Mettal and I wanted to admit and apologise for the poor service over the course of a few months of 2019.

A lot of personal thing's happened which took me away from the usual service I provide. You'll notice a period of being quiet on the Instagram as well.

As with any business we do have a majority of happy customers and return customers and I can personally guarantee any of the boards that our factory makes. People will only ever write about their complaints online but you can also see some of the other feedback on our website.

If you have any gripes or any questions at all please feel free to contact me on the details on our website.

Again, apologies, as far as I know all the instances above were sorted out but if you have anything which needs addressing please feel free to contact me and I'll sort it out.

Thanks,
Blake

Tarzan71's picture
Tarzan71's picture
Tarzan71 commented Saturday, 28 Sep 2019 at 6:19am

Ive never met Blake but know most of the shapers around my area. As a generalization they all consider themselves supreme beings and are far above the stature of their clients.
Ive been caught out numerous times as a tradie doing jobs for them and getting given a surfboard (generally with huge delay) as if it is an honor for me to be allowed to serve them.
Obviously this generalization does not apply to all but it is the reason more than half my quiver comes from China.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba commented Saturday, 28 Sep 2019 at 7:12am

Yep Tarzan I've had exactly the same experience ...but there are some good ones amongst the heroes

simba

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin commented Saturday, 28 Sep 2019 at 8:16am

Tarzan - If they try to pay for trade work with an unsolicited surfboard, go back and order a new board and offer them a home made spice rack in exchange.

https://youtu.be/EvF9Fx6S5vE

Tarzan71's picture
Tarzan71's picture
Tarzan71 commented Saturday, 28 Sep 2019 at 9:16am

Haha, that's a great strategy!
The final straw came when I did a whole factory, me and a couple of my subbys, spent a couple of thousand on labor and parts, only to be told that they were a bit cash strapped after my outlay. No prior arrangement was made
Funnily enough the rumor that I was an unreasonable hard cunt got back to me and was rigorously denied the next time I went back to seek payment. The payment plan for parts only never got one cent issued and I had to cough up to keep my credit rating intact.
Spice racks don't feed my family or theirs!! But good idea all the same

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot commented Saturday, 28 Sep 2019 at 10:22am

You just did the work without discussing a price?!

Tarzan71's picture
Tarzan71's picture
Tarzan71 commented Saturday, 28 Sep 2019 at 12:15pm

Excellent point goofy, yes, and that's very common in the building and trades arena. Its as much my fault as theirs, but I always pay my bills on time or earlier.

I guess that's why my business survived and theirs didn't.

tiger's picture
tiger's picture
tiger commented Saturday, 28 Sep 2019 at 3:30pm

Works both ways, the plumbers and sparkies don't mind rocking up in the 60k + vehicle, and charging an exorbitant hourly rate. Then have the hide to want a new board for peanuts, or get a heap of dings fixed for next to nothing.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot commented Saturday, 28 Sep 2019 at 7:53pm

I’ve been a tradey for nearly 20 years and where I live at least, it’s not common for people to undertake work without discussing cost first...
Not saying it doesn’t happen but it’s prettu rare

Spuddups's picture
Spuddups's picture
Spuddups commented Sunday, 29 Sep 2019 at 5:51am

I'm a Tradesman. I fuckin' hate the term Tradie. No real reason for that, I'm just feeling the rage this morning.

Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone commented Sunday, 29 Sep 2019 at 7:14am

what ya have for smoko mate ya tradie mate

I am the bone

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid commented Sunday, 29 Sep 2019 at 7:53am

“I’m a Tradesman” umm that’s gender specific, not allowed anymore

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher commented Sunday, 29 Sep 2019 at 10:03am

Fliplid examples ( Tradesman like manner ) [latin-old school] i.e. - politically correct

"Tools Down!" LGBTQIA+....convene a full site inspection...

[f] Arbitrator ruling...

*We at [f] think ( Tradie like persona ) sounds more likeable
*Lose that site shed Calendar
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2b/7b/2d/2b7b2d132161d9797e93d91b4602804c...
*No head dippin' the apprentice in the Portaloo
*More cats to balance out Tradie's pitbulls.
*Oh! If it's not too late! That mulched rare tree in the skip needs watering.